Best Horus Heresy cover-art ever

Perrin

To be fair, I'd much prefer to see old Sanguinius ripping the wings off the the big red punk, then maybe punching through his back, tearing out his spine predator style....not realising its just more skulls for the skull throne.

No amount of ice cream can stop pain of that magnitude!

To be fair, I'd much prefer to see old Sanguinius ripping the wings off the the big red punk, then maybe punching through his back, tearing out his spine predator style....not realising its just more skulls for the skull throne.

You have no idea how badly I would like to read that!

Can I sig this please? :o

Be my guest! :D

You have no idea how badly I would like to read that!

Can I sig this please? :)

Be my guest! :wacko:

Thanks! :blink:

I think ADB said it was an author debate, with himself, McNeil and Abnett pushing black hair and Swallow pushing blonde.

Looks like Swallow wins.

Anyone else feel the tagline should be: you can not pass!

Wasn't any pushing, as such; I recall a few of us saying we preferred black when it came up. Jim was never going to go with that - he always preferred blond.

vote for sanguinius ginger

And have in mind that Neil Roberts artwork dosen't necessarily have anything to do with the plot in the book, or reflect what happens in the book 100%. When I met him, he told me, that he often makes the artwork without having read the book. That happend with the First Heretic he told me, hence the Custodians fighting Word-bearer-deamon-things on an unknown world not mentioned in the book.

That actually happened, if I've not completely missed some extremely vital detail.

Remember what happened to Xaphen in the end, where it happened and by whom?

That artwork captured the event pretty spot-on, I'd say.

And have in mind that Neil Roberts artwork dosen't necessarily have anything to do with the plot in the book, or reflect what happens in the book 100%. When I met him, he told me, that he often makes the artwork without having read the book. That happend with the First Heretic he told me, hence the Custodians fighting Word-bearer-deamon-things on an unknown world not mentioned in the book.

That actually happened, if I've not completely missed some extremely vital detail.

Remember what happened to Xaphen in the end, where it happened and by whom?

That artwork captured the event pretty spot-on, I'd say.

As far as I've been told, I tend to have a lot more involvement with my covers than most of the other authors. As in, I send pages and pages of "This, and this, and this please..." with a lot of image references, too.

The covers are - like in all book publishing jazz - done very early for marketing purposes, and essential sales stuff when it comes to distribution. The First Heretic's cover was done before I really knew what kind of world it was going to end on, though most of the storyline was set by that point, which is why it's more accurate than a lot of the other covers. But that's why the background doesn't match the text, yet everything else does. I have to admit, I don't much care; while I love accuracy, a cover often has a specific job to do, and the colour clash of green and gold and red is lush.

My original pitch for the cover (the current one was my backup) was the Word Bearers kneeling in the abandoned city, before the Emperor and Guilliman. That got shot down by the art director.

My original pitch for the cover (the current one was my backup) was the Word Bearers kneeling in the abandoned city, before the Emperor and Guilliman. That got shot down by the art director.

Awww man that is a piece of art they should go ahead and make anyway!

It would probably have looked more impressive, even if the released cover was one of the best done by Mr. Roberts.

I dunno. To me? Yeah. To the book-buying public? No idea.

The actual conversation ended with "But I'd like a cover like Legion." To which the art department's answer was "Legion was one of the covers we liked the least, so put some fighting in it instead."

Also, did I get an email from you the other day, Greyall? Was that you?

While I'm not too fond of the cover for Legion, it's mainly due to personal taste issues with the design of the Marine. Concept-wise, I much prefer it. Close fight scenes, like that of First Heretic (the Custodes getting raked by a Possessed from behind is a great, grim solution) or Fear to Tread, are too comic-bookish - but at least they're true, unlike in comics. The fact is, there'll be more to Fear to Tread than the fight. Arguably, the most important part will be the first instance of the Red Thirst (or a prelude to it).

Either large-scale warfare (Galaxy in Flames, Fulgrim) or more iconic (words fail me) pictures (Legion, Prospero Burns), for me.

Aye, mate, I sent you my drawing of Sevatar to see how it matches your view on him. More and more I find my concept too complicated, I'm tempted to remake him.

I like the Legion cover. I mean, we all know that in the grim dark future there is only war but there are also humans, and humans are complicated and aren't always fighting.

yeah, its the best cover. It has the best colors and the skies are very Salvador Dali...

I like the Legion cover. I mean, we all know that in the grim dark future there is only war but there are also humans, and humans are complicated and aren't always fighting.

yeah, its the best cover. It has the best colors and the skies are very Salvador Dali...

Agreed, Legion is my favourite cover. For a million reasons. Fight scenes on covers, as someone mentioned, seem too comic book for my tastes. Legion is the most like a movie poster.

I ignore most HH covers, but ADB's original proposal for TFH sounds powerful. I would have loved to see it and it would have stood out. Battle scenes are messy and a dime a dozen in the sci-fi/fantasy section.

Archived