Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Alt-IA: Salamanders

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
  • Chapter Name: Scions of Dorn

[Emerges from his cave, shading eyes against the unaccustomed blinding light of day] 

Hey guys!  What's going on?unsure.png

First up, a massive apology to all for dropping off of the world and leaving things the way I did.  Long story short... a conjunction of massive burnout and general rl issues left me completely unable to write, then stupidly I felt I had left it so long I daren't show my face. mellow.png   I never stopped with 40K, 30K and modelling though and when Kurgan got in touch I thought I should stop being such a wuss and drag my carcass back home to the B&C.

Soooo... It'll take a while and I need to catch up with people and what's been happening since I've been here last, but I would love to get the Dornian Heresy back on track. smile.png

Aurelius.

• BLOODSAINT, Commissar Molotov, T14 and 30 others like this
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf
Click here for the Legio Imprint download thread
Iron Warriors +++ Iron Hands +++ Alpha Legion +++ Dark Angels

Index Astartes: Scions of Dorn

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,277 posts

Aurelius is back! biggrin.png

Welcome back brother! Much has happened in your absence and, dare I say, people have been pining for a continuation of the Dornian Heresy. If you need any re-introductions, look no further. I'm sure others will be glad to see you. :)

• DarkLiege likes this
gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Conn Eremon

Conn Eremon

++ SCRIBA VILLOSUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,140 posts
  • Chapter Name: Emerald Tigers
Ohhh, happy days are here again! The Dornian Heresy lives!

Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes

Guilliman Heresy | Corax Coup | Conn's DIY Projects | Liber Surgery

B&C's play-by-post subforum is now live!

Stercus

Stercus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,379 posts
This could not be better news. Welcome back Aurelius.

<p>gallery_48988_6285_50857.png
My thread of things:
http://www.bolterand...lds-some-stuff/

WIP Index Astartes Articles:

Gatekeepers: http://www.bolterand...pers/?p=4192488

Harvesters: http://www.bolterand...ters/?p=4192489

Sons of Aetius: http://www.bolterand...tius/?p=4192491

Stercus percussit molendinum ad

carpediem

carpediem

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 146 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines

RL should always come first; never let yourself feel guilty about that.

That said, I'm very glad to see this project rise once more from Nocturne's bitter ash.

The picture is Valentina Tereshkova; the first woman in space, and something of a personal hero.

Demus Ragnok

Demus Ragnok

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,137 posts
  • Chapter Name: Fire Keepers Xth Legion BotL
Good to see you back AR.
Of Fire.

Fire gives light removing dark and shadow.

Fire gives purity driving out corruption.

Fire gives strength consuming weakness.

SanguiniusReborn

SanguiniusReborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,976 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Steel Legion

AURELIUS IS BACK?!?!?! woot.gif
giphy.gif

*coughcough* I, err, I mean, umm, w-welcome back brother, it's good to hear from you again. whistlingW.gif

• jeremy1391 and Chaplain Dosjetka like this

gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg

Proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

Ace Debonair

Ace Debonair

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + ADEPTUS DOMUS +
  • 5,088 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Thousand Ideas

Welcome back, brother! happy.png

It's certainly been a while, but it's always good to see a familiar face return home! biggrin.png

• Chaplain Dosjetka likes this

AveImperator

AveImperator

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 44 posts

YEEEEEEEES!

Welcome back!

• blackoption likes this

KingKurama

KingKurama

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,621 posts
qxwq4_P6rRHytKBTdCIuE-0WL-rKSbsC6WpobUCd

My year was just made

Wolfmerc

Wolfmerc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts
  • Chapter Name: Furvus' Black Hand

As a new user: Welcome back! Who are you! laugh.png

I very much like the lore behind the dornian heresy, but from what i have gathered, rules are being written?

• RowRow likes this

Black Cohort

Black Cohort

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,230 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Cohort
Good to see you are back, I look forward to when new information gets added to the Dornian Heresy.
Follow the link to help make "A Better 40k"<p> http://www.bolterand...types-finished/
ETL_2014_Banner_V2_03D_Custos_Fidei.jpg

jeremy1391

jeremy1391

++ LIBRITOR VALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 4,672 posts
  • Chapter Name: Consecrators/imperial fists
At first I was like.
D566B896-3288-4BD3-ABE6-95808E8E52BD_zps

But then I was like
EFFE26F9-7F1B-4A8F-A425-7ADC862FC730_zps

blackoption

blackoption

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,102 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Black Eagles
Welcome back. You have been missed.

Arnil

Arnil

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 460 posts
  • Chapter Name: White Scars
Oh yes! I have like three copies of you're original work saved on various devices and my wife loves your take on blood angels and she plays the horus version of them and hates all chaos in general but still loves the nurgle angels.
"The more I learn about these aliens, the more I come to understand what drives them, the more I hate them. I hate them for what they are and for what they may one day become. I hate them not because they hate us but because they are incapable of good, honest, human hatred."

http://www.thecodexproject.com/

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,768 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Lords

WITNESS! For Aurelius has returned! 

We await any momentum on the Dornian Heresy brother. We kept the faith and rejoice at your return. For Lorgar and the Emperor! 

• sitnam likes this

SyNidus

SyNidus

++ AQUILAM JUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 1,686 posts
Amazing! Great to have you back and I'm really looking forward to see the Dornian heresy come back. It still remains my favourite of the alternate heresies around :)

raven-guard-sig1.jpg

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,816 posts
  • Chapter Name: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

Here I come to write another to write up another fluff piece based upon this heresy, and lo and behold, Aurelius lives! I honesty didn't think I'd ever get a chance to interact with you. 

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost (http://www.bolterand...od-of-the-lost/)

The Lost IInd Legion: The Halcyon Wardens (http://www.bolterand...enegade-legion/)

The Third Son: Narrative of the Lost IInd Legion Primarch (http://www.bolterand...-the-third-son/)

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

Aurelius Rex

Aurelius Rex

++ GESTORIS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 5,726 posts
  • Chapter Name: Scions of Dorn

Thanks for the welcome back, and the support. :)  Great to see the old faces and the new here.   It'll take a while to get back into the swing of things as all my stuff is packed away in boxes ahead of a house move, but looking forward to it.

• Hyaenidae, blackoption, Chaplain Dosjetka and 4 others like this
Posted Image

Alternate Heresy Index Astartes articles for the World Eaters, Emperor's Children, Raven Guard, Word Bearers,
Ultramarines, White Scars, Space Wolves, Thousand Sons and Blood Angels available as a pdf
Click here for the Legio Imprint download thread
Iron Warriors +++ Iron Hands +++ Alpha Legion +++ Dark Angels

Index Astartes: Scions of Dorn

Sigismund Himself

Sigismund Himself

++SCRIBERE NOVELLUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,415 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templars
Good to hear it wasn't anything super serious Aurelius :) I'm well out of 40k now but now I have to lurk around to see what happens with this!
  • Commissar Molotov and Lysimachus like this

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,228 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion

Out of interest, are you going to adjust any of the Vulkan stuff to accommodate the new information from Vulkan Lives?

Dragonlover

My project log: The Nine Legions
gallery_69371_12676_4208.gifgallery_69371_12676_2557.pnggallery_69371_12676_1362.pnggallery_69371_12676_475.pnggallery_69371_12676_370.pnggallery_69371_12676_2103.gifgallery_69371_12676_1314.gifgallery_69371_12676_3597.gifgallery_69371_12676_37949.jpg

Erasus

Erasus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 272 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sacred Brethren

Hey guys, first ever post but I really love the Dornian Heresy and have been waiting for it to resurface biggrin.png

Anyway it's been a while since I read the fluff here on the Salamanders but I have had some thoughts on how Vulkan can end up in the hands of Malal, feel free to tear this apart as you see fit as I'm really rusty on the what's established here and the norm-verse fluff.

So...

Vulkan lands in the lava lakes as mentioned and is horrifically burned, he is turned away from the villages and chased off as a monster, (he'd only be a boy here so not a massive threat to a gang of armed blacksmiths) he scavenges from the land and watches two things of interest; first the villages as they show a bond of unity he has never seen before, and the mighty salamanders who roam at will and do as they please. This kindles in his heart a desire for acceptance into society and feel that bond of belonging, yet it also ignites a respect for the solitary salamanders who have mastered this world through sheer force of will and natural brutality.

He fights the eldar on many occasions and becomes adept at the art of battle. He is still not accepted by the villages but they no longer shun him as extremely and even let him live on the outskirts of their settlements where he can build his own forge for his wargear. This state of tolerance does not sit right deep in Vulkan's heart who knows that he will never be one of them, he will never be truly accepted. His respect for the salamanders only grows as he realises how free and independent they are, he begins to emulate their self-interested ways and shuns the villages in turn. He now longs for the eldar raids as it is the only time he feels he truly interacts in another being in a way more intimate than tolerance.

The arrival of Emperor naturally calls Vulkan to him as the display of might and individual strength is akin to the salamanders. The Emperor tells Vulkan that he has a place for him in the Imperium, Vulkan can't believe that he would be accepted and is eager to leave but is not willing to join the Emperor if he is like the villagers; Vulkan wants to follow a man with the heart of a salamander. To prove his worth the Emperor must kill a bigger salamander than Vulkan, which he does and just like the norm-verse must toss it in order to save the dangling primarch. With this Vulkan feels he can take a place worth having in the Imperium, as long as it is filled with men like this Emperor. He names his legion after the figures of his idolisation; the Salamanders, and will turn them to emulate the reptiles as much as possible through inner-strength and a fiery aptitude on the battlefield. 

So I haven't really thought much about the Crusade days themselves but I was thinking that Vulkan feels his is being treated the same way as he was on Nocturne; a distant tolerance, which he cant accept and so when Dorn, one of his closest allies, tries to convert him he readily agrees to turn his back on the Emperor he once thought better of.

Skalathrax. He is where he turns from chaos and I think I have a good solution, as well as why they lose. The fighting has reached a stalemate and just like the norm-verse Khârn has had enough and takes a meltagun to go primarch hunting. During the fighting Khârn manages to loose a shot off at close quarters and burns Vulkan's face, now in Nick Kyme's trilogy Da'kir has the same treatment and has a half normal face for it, this is what happens to Vulkan. This single action has many after effects including the immediate retreat of the Salamanders in order to preserve their wounded primarch. More importantly Vulkan feels like Chaos has betrayed him; so many promises where made but they all went up in smoke when Vulkan realised he was disposable, he wasn't special and he wasn't truly wanted or accepted. This sense of betrayal drives the primarch from Chaos, in his meanderings he starts to see hallucinations in the reflections of his new black and white face; visions of Malal. Malal reveals to him the true nature of chaos, he reveals that no group can be truly cohesive as the nature of chaos always drives a wedge in somewhere; it is the natural order of things. Malal wins Vulkan over with talk of true anarchy and self-reliance. Fight the Imperium, fight Chaos, fight everyone as no-one is an ally and no-one is truly an enemy; no-one deserves such lofty titles. Only rely on yourself, the universe will always turn on you. Vulkan takes his legion and begins to wage war in the name of Malal.

Another side-effect would be that Khârn proves the loyalist Legions can fight the Traitor Primarchs even without their own counterparts. Hope is kindled in an otherwise beaten Imperium.

So there it is, my ideas are finally written down somewhere and are at the mercy of your judgement. Do with them as you will. This is your project after all. I just wanted to throw a possibility into a problem since I desperately want the second half of the Dornian Heresy Legio Imprint smile.png 

Erasus

Erasus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 272 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sacred Brethren

Damn, did I kill this thread? unsure.png

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 15,277 posts

I don't think you did, brother. Don't worry, Aurelius will tend to matters as and when he can. :)

gallery_60566_6038_10057.jpg
gallery_60566_6038_15153.png

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

SanguiniusReborn

SanguiniusReborn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,976 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Steel Legion

I don't think you did, brother. Don't worry, Aurelius will tend to matters as and when he can. :)

Agreed, don't forget Erasus, Aurelius may have written the Dornian Heresy but he'll probably need a little while to re-read and re-familiarise himself with everything that's been done so far. Then he has to pick up where he left off and figure out which way he wants to move forward.
So patience brothers, we've waited this long, we can wait a little longer.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn, 30 June 2015 - 09:06 PM.

• blackoption and Lord Thørn like this

gallery_92945_11930_39378.pngtn_gallery_4536_13905_53919.pngFbm7BxJ.jpg6ACBl6j.jpg

Proud Creator of the Scarlet Sentinels, my 18th Century British Redcoat Chapter and the Steel Legion, my Cyberpunk-inspired Lost Legion!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users