Scratchbuilt Predator

Title says it all really, I'm a cheap :tu: , so naturally I leapt at the opportunity to save some money ;). The Predator will be armed with an autocannon and twin heavy bolters, and is made of foamcore and cardboard, although it will use plasticard later on. I'm fully open to comments, so feel free to praise me, or (more likely) brutally criticise me :P

gallery_65221_7217_420816.jpg

gallery_65221_7217_2283133.jpg

gallery_65221_7217_2442348.jpg

gallery_65221_7217_1927326.jpg

gallery_65221_7217_1729898.jpg

gallery_65221_7217_1032457.jpg

Title says it all really, I'm a cheap ;) , so naturally I leapt at the opportunity to save some money ;). The Predator will be armed with an autocannon and twin heavy bolters, and is made of foamcore and cardboard, although it will use plasticard later on. I'm fully open to comments, so feel free to praise me, or (more likely) brutally criticise me :P

But, no pictures of yet. Can anyone give me a bit of help- How do you post pictures? Yeah, I know :P and all that, but I seriously don't know.

:tu:

click on 'my albums' (top right/middle) 'new album' (bottom right or top right) then click new image or bulk upload on the right and click browse.

find the images you want to post and let them load, then copy and paste the 'BBCode' from the right hand side of the pictures and post them in the thread.

this should add pictures to the B&C gallery and then allow them to be seen on this thread.

if you are using something other than the B&C gallery, someone else will have to help because i don't know how to use them, i assume its similar though.

looking forward to seeing this progress.

SB

Lol, thought this thread was gonna suck, but damn! that predator is pretty nice considering how EASY it looks to make... A touch of plasticard and some paint and it'd pass perfectly fine on the tabletop. I might even steal this to make gutted destroyed wrecks. ::rethinks chapter apocalypse vehicle mashup::

• 3 weeks later...

(Blows dust off topic)

Wow...been a while. Progress has been made, quite a lot of progress, but my camera and computer are :( s so I can't upload pics at the moment. Buuuut, the autocannon barrel is done, and the chassis detailing is progressing swiftly.

Sent from my battle-barge using an astropath

• 1 month later...

I know some people are feeling a bit 'iffy' about playing against scratchbuilt stuff, but hell, I'd play against your predator tank. It certainly has the feeling of a predator, and that's good enough for me.

You've obviously spend quite some time and effort in it, and it looks good! Some paint and some extra details will make it look all the better.

So kudo's to you sir! I'm excited to see the finished product.

When I first started playing 40k, I couldn't afford much beyond a basic squad. So I also scratch built my tanks. So I definately understand you building your own, especially with current prices.

Besides.. Its certainly easily identifiable as a predator. I think you have the size and shape bang on. Just needs a bit of colour.... unless you're playing White Scars or Storm Lords :P I'd happily play opposite or even along side you with it.

CTK

I see no problem with this tank. It so far is very well done, it looks like a Predator Destructor tank and the effort involed is noticed. I would play aginst this tank and play this tank myself. Very creative and full of Awesome Sauce. Great work.

Agreed! The spirit of scratch building at its best. My first Chaos Rhino's are all cereal-box-cardboard creations. I my opinion, there's nothing wrong with a scratch build being a bit rough, as long as it accurately represents the look and scale of what it's meant to be. Don't take a tissue box, as-is, and try to tell me it's a Land Raider, (unless it's a stand in for some friendly test games) but it it has a the proper lines and silhouette of a Land Raider, nothing wrong with that at all.

We don't always have the expendable income to spend, but it doesn't make the addiction of war-gaming go away. Necessity is the mother of invention, and all that. :)

• 3 months later...

Archived