Raven Guard 2nd Company

Lord Bearer

I wanted to put this out there as a basic outline as to how I hope to build my Raven guard army.

1x Captain Dalgarth (w/ Command Squad??)

> Mounted in heavy-armored Rhino

1x Tactical Squad (10-man)

> Mounted in drop-pod

1x Tactical Squad (10-man)

> Mounted in drop-pod

1x Assault Squad (10-man)

> With Jump Packs

1x Assault Squad (8-man)

> Led by Chaplain

> With Jump Packs

1x Venerable Dreadnaught (Contempter Model)

> Mounted in Drop-pod

1x Devastator Squad (5-Man) --> possibly to be increased to 10-men

> Mounted in a Rhino

1x Terminator Squad (10-man)

> Mounted in a Land Raider Crusader

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With this as my starting army, I have a good start. Most of my minis will be converted/repainted from my current Praetors of Orpheus SM Chapter. I eventually want to increase the size and scope of my army. In the back of my mind, there is a part of me that would love to build the ENTIRE 2nd Company. <Dream on!!> I have opted to model my army on the 2nd Company... probably going to change the name of my Captain.... or not..

I have ordered a bunch of stuff from Forgeworld to help customize my army. No, I didn't buy the Raven Guard conversion pack.

As an update, I have been working on some of my miniatures.

As strange as it might seem.... I am working on a 5-Man Devastator Squad. (2x Missle Launchers, 1x Lascannon, 1x Heavy Bolter & Sgt)

I am also working on a Rhino Transport for the squad. I have applied multiple magnets to enable me to switch from a Rhino to a Predator. Once I get some pictures available I will post them.

Just a quick question, why that configuration of devastators? The heavy bolter seems out of place.

I built the unit to give me a wider range of effective firepower.

The missle launchers give me Frag and Krak attacks which give me some anti-personnel and anti-tank ability. The Lascannon gives me anti-tank capabilities while the Heavy Bolter gives me a good solid hit at various ranges.

I will probably add other weapons if I find that I need other weapons.

Any pictures yet? :)

I hope to get some pics up in the next couple of days... I do not have any finished products yet, as I am waiting for Santa to deliver some of of the pieces that I need to finish them.

Since everything I have read seems to put the Raven Guard in settings of an urban type, I will be basing them as such. SCC made his models with urban settings and I think that I will follow his example and "urban base" them.

Since everything I have read seems to put the Raven Guard in settings of an urban type, I will be basing them as such. SCC made his models with urban settings and I think that I will follow his example and "urban base" them.

I suppose if you're going to try something, checking out one of the best examples is probably a sound idea. :)

I was debating about what I wanted to do for my Shadow Captain. I was playing around and came up with this....

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/Keikan300/tyberos.jpg

It is the Tyberos with some details removed and a Raven Guard paint scheme. I think that it has potential.

Any thoughts??

I like it. Any plans on converting it further or will it just be a colour swap with some details removed?

I saw a pic of the unassembled model and the head is not attached. This makes me think that I might try to put a different head in it's place. I showed this pic to SCC and he suggested the elimination of the chainsword attachments on the palms as it is not really Raven Guard-ish. I am torn though... the vicious looking nature of the model is the one thing that drew me to it. (I know.. twisted.. right?)

Anyway, I hope to have a few pics up in the next couple of days. I haven't been able to paint much recently, I have been sick as a dog recently. I was exposed to a rabid bat and the doctors said that it was a good idea to take the rabies shots... UGH... glad I did... but DAMN!! the side-effects sucked!!\

I will be taking a few pics of my Devastator squad and post them... It's a start at least.

As promised, I took some pics of some of my models that are WiP

They look a little rough and some of the lines are less than "polished" but this gives you an idea where I am going with my army.

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/Keikan300/DevastatorSquad_sgt.jpg

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc236/Keikan300/DevastatorSquad1.jpg

I need to work on the shading a little more and also finish the bases.

Any suggestions, thoughts, critiques?

Also... I hope to get some pics of my Rhino/Predator soon. As I want to make an urban based theme... I see the vehicle being weathered with a concrete-dust effect.

I think you have a good start there.

For the metal, I'd wash it with some Badab Black. The yellow also comes off a bit strong, and I've found that Gyphonne Sepia, is a nice subtle wash to tone it down.

For highlighting the black, well, Maybe try a bit of Charadon Granite or Adeptus Battlegrey mixed with black (Maybe 2 or 3 to 1) to make the amour pop a little.

Still, a great start, and keep them coming!

Agreed. Good start here and I hope to see more. Have a look at my WIP thread (shameless personal plug) for some insights in to how I deal with metals and Black. Washes are your friend with metallic colours, and some simple edge highlighting will really make the black pop.

Im glad to see another member of the Raven Guard on here. There aren't too many of us (no Sh*t, huh...) Looks good to start. keep up the work and keep it rolling on. It takes a while, and painting all trim on black gets very boring, but you will prevail and Lord Corax will be proud.

Archived