WIP Ad Mech Army (Trading a craft world for a forge world)

Head Mook

Welcome to my Adeptus Mechanicus WIP! The force will be based on Codex: Eldar and a splash of allied IG.

Current Force Goals:

Magos (temporarily an IG tech Priest) (counts-as Farseer)

Sagitarii x10 (counts-as Fire Dragons)

Tech Priests x3 (counts-as Jet Bike Guardians)

Skitarii x20 (counts-as Dire Avengers)

Legio Cybernetica Robot (counts-as Wraith Lord)

Legio Cybernetica Robots x4 (counts-as War Walkers)

This is my Imperial Robot, who counts as a Wraith Lord armed with two of the three: Scatter Laser, Eldar Missile Launcher, Wraith Sword. Thematically these fitted best for what I want, which is a muppet mower.

The Laser's concept is just an overpowered Multilaser, to achieve the Scatter Laser profile of S6 AP 6 Heavy 4 36".

The Head: a space marine turret ring and the weapon mount for an IG Scatter laser and a dreadnought leg guard.

The Missile Launcher: just lifted a havoc launcher, still debating on it being final.

The Improved Multi-Laser: just some plasticard, a bit of sprue and the muzzle of a lascannon.

The sword is still in need of teeth and details, but will basically just be an enormous chainsword built of plasticard. The power supply is off of an IG lascannon heavy weapons team.

The rest is basically taken directly out of, you guessed it, the Dreadknight kit.

gallery_45711_6789_876472.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_313866.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_1140876.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_49167.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_234197.jpg

The sticky tack let go as I was focusing this last one. Maybe it'll inspire me to magnetize?

gallery_45711_6789_694037.jpg

A close up of his faceholething. I'm going to extend the ring backwards and up with armored plates to make it more solid. I think I'll call him Turtleface.

gallery_45711_6789_1303972.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_446375.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_636824.jpg

These are just some close ups of the weapons, with a Sentinel's multilaser in there for scale.

Here is another WIP of my Counts-as War Walker. I plan on having 3-6 armed with two Scatter Lasers each, so we shall see!

Currently I've just got the base together, its made with some Drop Pod interior bits and based of a Sentinel chassis.

gallery_45711_6789_554974.jpg

What are you planning to use as Skitari?

I plan on using the Hoff pattern for my Skitarii (seen here: http://www.40konline.com/community/index.php?topic=98583.0 ). Although primarily the army's foot soldiers will actually be meltagun-wielding Firedragons, and the actual Troops will mostly be Jetbikers.

***EDIT*** Skitarii (Troops) will consist mainly of Dire Avengers and Guardians

...why the Eldar Codex?
Because it covers all of my basic requirements for something as mysterious as the Adeptus Mechanicus and the Machine God: Grav Tanks, Walkers, Jetbikes, Monstrous Creatures and Psychic Powers. Also, the specialization inherent in the Aspect Warriors really speaks to me in terms of the feel Ad Mech. If I was creating a cybernetic warrior skitarii, I would specialize them to the Nth degree.

Here are some more pics of my jetbike and the Skitarii:

gallery_45711_6789_558042.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_12808.jpg

The bikes themselves are made from Space Marine Bikes, and the rider's legs are WHF High Elf Silver Helms. The torsos will resemble those of the other Skitarii, though they'll have servo harnesses, tech priesty staves and I've been debating giving them hoods or not. The guns are modified IG lasguns. The Shuriken Cannons on every third bike will probably be a servitor skull operated Heavy Stubber attached to one side. Making the bikes themselves has been a lot easier than I would have thought!

I decided to go with the armored skirts because the robes felt right for Ad Mech. The armored plates themselves help to weigh the cloth down and explain why they aren't flapping all over the place. They also make sense from a cavalry perspective, and since jetbikes are relentless...well, I'm sure they'll be seeing CC more often than they'd like.

gallery_45711_6789_202662.jpg

Not pictured are the Skitarii weapons, which are modified IG lasguns with a small cord going to an external power pack on the back. The idea is that they're upgraded hellguns or lasrifles in order to being their statline into order with Shuriken Catapults: S4 AP 5 Assault 2 12". Pics coming soon!

Nice work- i really like the robots- the second one's front looks like a screen and almost begs for a fallout new vegas securitron face on it (http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2010...Securitron2.png) or maybe it should just say "resistance is futile" in green lettering? Nice work on the troopers too- i've recently seen IG troops made with SM scout legs and cadian torsos+ maxmini (i think) helmets- just in case You ever need some other type of troops. The jetbike is also a nice touch- there's just never enough jetbikes!

hmm... intreresting. very interesting... i am myself in the early steps of doing a dark-mech army using a coven style list for codex: dark eldar (and an exodite army i still cant decide to rule with dark eldar, or regular). i honestly hadnt even thought of using the craftworld rules for that, and i must say, it seems like a great idea, as in my opinnion many of the rules actually seems to have a sorta clunky and very solid feel to them (as opossed to DE)

two things troubles me slightly, though:

first iam a bit worried your infantry is gunna be quite squshy if you do not take care what choises you do. so i strongly reccoment using dire avengers for your skitarii, becouse of their 4+ armor (3+ for sergeant, allowing you to model him in light PA), furthermore, their upgrates are alot more techy (as opossed to psychic), i mean, forcefield that effects the whole squad in melee, the squad overcharging their las(?) guns for more volume of fire, etc... (even if you did say you were gunna do mostly jetbikes)

the other being that seeing the shuriken rifle (pistol, carbine) statlines, they are literally a short range bolter... so maybe modelling them as some strange pattern of bolter"smg" 's might be a better choise?

first iam a bit worried your infantry is gunna be quite squshy if you do not take care what choises you do. so i strongly reccoment using dire avengers for your skitarii, becouse of their 4+ armor (3+ for sergeant, allowing you to model him in light PA), furthermore, their upgrates are alot more techy (as opossed to psychic), i mean, forcefield that effects the whole squad in melee, the squad overcharging their las(?) guns for more volume of fire, etc... (even if you did say you were gunna do mostly jetbikes)

The final army list will include some Pathfinders modeled as an Adeptus Explorer Team as an objective sitter or bait, depending on what the situation requires. As for squishy, Eldar Jetbike Guardians are T4 3+ with the option Flat Out cover saves so they've got some decent staying power in larger groups (a dozen per squad), or in easily hidden 3-man groups for objective grabbing and as a method for delivering light AV with rear armor shots with a singing spear Warlock.

As for fluff, you may have a point with the upgrades but I wanted to steer clear of Avengers for taste reasons.

the other being that seeing the shuriken rifle (pistol, carbine) statlines, they are literally a short range bolter... so maybe modelling them as some strange pattern of bolter"smg" 's might be a better choise?

Well the similarities to the bolter are exactly the problem: How to communicate that this is only "really really really similar to a stormbolter, but only with pistol range" except to make it look like a machine pistol? I didn't like that approach in the least, so i took another track and decided to create a short ranged, overcharged lasrifle (ala the Hellgun). I thereby avoid the difficulty in modelling something that functions very much like a bolter, but with a clear enough distinction in form that people won't think it *is* a bolter.

Though I love the idea of using bolters, and until the release of the new Witch Hunters "Codex" I was going to model a squad of bolter armed skitarii (Counts-As Sisters). I'm still toying with this possibility, in which case it is doubly important that my other skitarii have very different weaponry so as to avoid confusion.

***EDIT**** Skitarii Updated as of 10.28.12. See later posts for newer concepts on Skitarii, weaponry and tactics

+++++++++++

Poll the Audience: how does the Chaos helmet look under the hood? I like it, but I'm having a hard time deciding if it's techy enough or if it achieves that faceless robotics look.

• 2 weeks later...

So things have been hectic around the home, but I've manged to get some work done on Turtleface and this tech Priest. He's going to be a counts-as Warlock with Destructor (a flamer-like psychic power) and a witch blade. I threw him together because I was getting a little bored trying to make Turtleface's chainsword.

I made the servo harness out of a piece from the Space Marine Hunter Killer Missile, an Imperial Guard Flamer and a bit of plasticard rod. I like the way it's turned out so far! It's not terribly heavy duty looking, but it should definitely make him stand out.

What I'm unsure about are his arms. One is a space marine arm, to represent some kind of cybernetics but I don't think this is clear. I'm worried it might be making his other (Imperial Guard) arm, look puny.

gallery_45711_6789_1391508.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_1242184.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_286442.jpg

The flamer arm itself still needs a fuel feed down to the tank on his pack, and he maybe needs some gubbins on his base and cloak but other than that I think he's just about set!

Do you think that I could get away with using Space Marine arms on these models in general, or would they look out-sized on the Guard torsos?

Is this final product worth the 3 or more hours I put into him? Or might it be more worth my time just to use the standard tech Priest models?

What say you, General Public and Hobby Enthusiasts?

he looks quite nice :P ... while i would prefer abit more detailing on the chaos helmets. i think they work well enough as is... and for the arm; it looks fine too really, doesnt look too space marine-y ... however you might want to shorten it ever so slightly, as its a tiny bit out of proportions now. but then again, that might be more becouse of GW's model policy of not having a midsection...

Very nice start for an AdMech army.

The conversions looks very cool (I especially like the motojet and the giant robot).

The only thing I'm not fan is the use of the chaos SM helmet on the skitarii. Lack of bionic eyes and such mechanical goodness for my personnal taste, even if they look good.

Now I hope to see more of your stuff, and please show us some painted minis soon ! ^^

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Ok, Really big photo update of a bunch of new test models I'm putting together. I'll explain them a little more in depth in another post (There's a steak getting cold in the kitchen. I love my life.) Basically the project had been languishing for a long time because I still had no concept for the grav tanks.

And then I found a series of articles by Fritz40k (or just Fritz, but whatever) that discussed how to make Foot Eldar work. Then I got very excited about the concept, wrote up some tests lists and discovered that if you put an Imperial Guard Command Squad rebreather onto a Dark Angels Veteran hooded head it looked amazing. And I figured out that Scout arms with a stripped down bolter looks great as a starting point. So then I got the current Skitarii...

Please give me some suggestions, questions or critiques. If you could list 3 things you like, dislike or have questions on I'd be very thankful! Hopefully more will become clear when I explain the concepts more, but for now:

This is a concept model for the standard Skitarii counts-as Dire Avenger. The bolter is going to be teched up a little bit, and the (now missing) magazine with be replaced by a drum. The idea is to convey a similar weapon profile as a bolter, but at shorter range and an assault weapon. I saw an obvious answer in "Higher rate of fire".

gallery_45711_6789_271681.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_876844.jpg

The model next to the Skitarii is mostly a test for a possible Guardian weapon. I'm not a big fan of the lasgun with a bolter muzzle honestly.

gallery_45711_6789_985778.jpg

Here are some size comparison shots

gallery_45711_6789_208913.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_928642.jpg

The following is the very earliest stage in creating a counts-as Fire Dragon. The weapon would be a "Fusion Pike"(meltagun), modelled of an Imperial Guard flamer with a Metlagun muzzle. Alternatively, I'm going to look into using the "pike" concept for possible Imperial Guard allies, the Plasma Grenadiers (Grenadier Veterans). The piping leading to the muzzle would be replaced with plasma cooling coils and the weapon would become a counts-as Plasmagun. The muzzle would also be changed to something more plasma-esque.

gallery_45711_6789_369811.jpg

This little guy I'm calling the "Sand People" Pattern. Makes me think he should be on Tatooine. He's actually a concept for the possible IG allies, though if I can find a lasgun conversion I like he'll also be the basic model for Guardians. His helmet consists of the IG rebreather and SM goggles on a shaved down Warriors of Chaos helmet (I got close to 90 from a local Bits Bin, so I must use them.

gallery_45711_6789_400590.jpg

Say hi, wierdo.

gallery_45711_6789_1239932.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_398569.jpg

And these are just some test heads. I'm thinking that every face, hooded or otherwise will have augmetics represented strongly on their face.

gallery_45711_6789_54475.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_280160.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_108020.jpg

So Hurricane Sandy took New Jersey out to dance, and things got kind of dicy. Minus some lost power everyone I know is alright, so I've been able to focus on the bright side: Five-day weekend to paint and model Ad Mech!

After finding This Article featuring Psychic Power markers I decided to break a few out myself. I've also managed to get painting on my Skitarii, a Black Templar Terminator and some other Lord of the Rings models done today.

Anyway, here are some shots of my Psychic Power markers (I'll need between 3 and five for my projected lists):

LotR High Elf and a pair of generic Cthullu game pieces. I figure the squids will be appropriate for noting maledictions.

gallery_45711_6789_892866.jpg

This is some of the blending I've done. I'm new to it, and am absurdly pleased with how it's come out.

gallery_45711_6789_492274.jpg

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads...6789_814474.jpg

These little horrors were just drybrushed, which lent itself to the texture of the models.

gallery_45711_6789_496517.jpg

More to come in the next 24 hours!

Exciting moment! I've finished the Skitarii Test Model and have him a quick paint job to see how I liked it. Overall, I have to say I am very pleased.

Skitarii Game Statistics:

Counts-as Eldar Dire Avenger (BS4, T3 4+, Fleet)

Armament: Counts as DA Shuriken Catapult (S4 AP5 18" Assault 2)

This will be the backbone of my force and the basis of most future Skitarii

gallery_45711_6789_230138.jpg

gallery_45711_6789_605947.jpg

There are some problems with the paint job itself that I'm not worried about (Such as skipping the extreme highlight on the weapon and left arm). What really had me worried was the lack of "pop". Future models won't have the image shaved off the bolter, and both that and the skull of the vambrace will be painted a nice Brass or bronze.

Oh, this is very exciting. B)

I really like him!

Any paint on the robot?

Not as yet. I wanted to get the paint scheme down before committing to it. I'm also having a little trouble deciding on how best to armor his legs and finish off his "chin" though I'm heavily considering a nest of cables and mechandrites.

• 1 month later...

So, my computer has been down for several weeks but I managed to snap a picture of my new Farseer on my fiancee's smart phone.

So, here he is! I was inspired by another conversion involving the Vampire Counts Grave Shade (or some such thing). The wings are Micro Arts Studios, and are pretty good exept for some problems with the left wing. The face is from an CSM Nurgle champion or some such. The hands and Nemisis Force Staff come from the GK range (with a servo skull popped in for good measure). He has a cut down Space Marine backpack on, with a DIY servo arm and the other is the the loading arm from the SM missile launcher backpack.

gallery_45711_6789_675286.jpg

Overall, I am tremendously pleased with the look of the model!

And as a painting update I'm finished painting the first squad of Skitarii.

I've also picked up two more Dread Knights for Legio Cybernetica Robots, a pack of Ogre Kingdom Bulls and AoBR Terminators to begin experimenting with counts-as Wraith Guards (Ogryn Servitors, Secutors or just Heavy Skitarri).

I've also decided to include some IG Sagittarii and a Vendetta. I'm making a clear classification between the two codecies for practical reasons as well as for the fluff. The Sagittarii are the heavy weapons sections of the Ad Mech forces, and seeing as every IG squad in my lists include an Autocannon or Lascannon it seemed ratehr appropriate. So now there will be clear thematic differences between the full Skitarii (represented by Codex: Eldar) and their support elements, the Sagittarii (represented by Codex: Imperial Guard).

The model next to the Skitarii is mostly a test for a possible Guardian weapon. I'm not a big fan of the lasgun with a bolter muzzle honestly.

gallery_45711_6789_985778.jpg

I've been searching forever for a Goggled Head with Re-breather that doesn't also have a helmet.

WHERE did you find the HEAD on the RIGHT?

Thx.

Also Great stuff, love AdMech.

Archived