All Hallows Guard

Alpha PTP

Well, it has been far too long since I looked at these marines. Its been three years (going on four) since I last played them, probably five since I last painted any. I decided to pull out my paints and start working on some of them again. It has been far too long, my friends...

As such, I found some of the original models that I started the army with.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/Generations-1.png

First: The concept of the army when I was 14 or so

Second: Final color scheme.

Third: Improvement on the final scheme.

Here is a dreadnought I have been working on for literally years. I just now decided to slap some paint on him. The black's highlights didn't show up as well as they do in real life for some reason. I'll tweak around with it later probably.

Unpainted: (Old Photo)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/RomulusFinished1.jpg

Painting in Progress:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP2.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP1.png

Anywho, enjoy. I'll try and update this as often as I can, but I'm not going to go balls to the wall and burn myself out. ;)

I like it, to great colors that work well together! Just a quick thought popped into my head when I saw your dread and all that black, save your self some time and get some metallic weathering powders, then rub it on and burnish the edges and it will give the black a metallic look, while still looking black.

Ashton

Very nice colour scheme, I like all the stages of development for the chapter of yours. Good GS-ing on that dreddy, too. Did you use push moulds for the details on him?

I like it, to great colors that work well together! Just a quick thought popped into my head when I saw your dread and all that black, save your self some time and get some metallic weathering powders, then rub it on and burnish the edges and it will give the black a metallic look, while still looking black.

Ashton

I've never used the powders, but my good friend has done a whole bunch with them and has said they work wonders. I'd rather stick to the safe side rather than having one dread completely different from the rest of the army. Thanks for the compliment about the scheme.

Very nice colour scheme, I like all the stages of development for the chapter of yours. Good GS-ing on that dreddy, too. Did you use push moulds for the details on him?

Thanks. The army is my baby practically. Nah. I hand sculpted all of the stuff. I've gotten better at GS-ing since then because of how long ago these pictures were taken. I've just now decided to start on him again.

Not gonna lie, when I saw you were starting to post again however many months ago, I immediately remembered this army and thought, "man, I always used to totally dig this army, it'd be so awesome to see it again". And lo and behold, here we are. Needless to say this is one of the awesome projects that I'm glad to see being worked on again, and I very much look forward to your progress.

(Also looking awesome so far, the orange is looking vibrant as ever and I'm digging the blending on the parchment, for the sake of adding something thinly veiled as useful criticism. ;))

Not gonna lie, when I saw you were starting to post again however many months ago, I immediately remembered this army and thought, "man, I always used to totally dig this army, it'd be so awesome to see it again". And lo and behold, here we are. Needless to say this is one of the awesome projects that I'm glad to see being worked on again, and I very much look forward to your progress.

(Also looking awesome so far, the orange is looking vibrant as ever and I'm digging the blending on the parchment, for the sake of adding something thinly veiled as useful criticism. ;))

As corny as this is to say, but you honestly don't know how much you saying that you remember my army means to me. I haven't posted anything for the army in years, and the fact that there is still someone who remembers it fondly brings me great pride to my chapter and myself as a painter. That obviously means I did something right. :lol:

The Guard! The Guard return to us!

I remember that Dreadnought - how could I forget it? I've had the pic saved in my 'inspiration' folder for ages now. Start cranking them out again Alpha!

I suddenly have this uncontrollable urge to put one in my Deathwatch squad....

I too remember this army from way back, but for a different reason. You did a a chaplain that I thought was one of the best models I've ever seen, like from anyone.

<please feel free to post pics on him again>

Anyway, he had so much character and the GS-ing was very inspiring.

Welcome back and I look forward to the next round.

Cheers,

See, funny thing about Gallows is that a lot of his GS got ripped up when I had to strip the paint off of him (like an idiot.) He isn't beyond repair, but he is a few hours away from being able to be primed. Here are some old pictures of him. :D

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsFinished1.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsFinished2.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/GallowsFinished3.jpg

Made a little progress on the dread last night. I was hanging out with my girlfriend for new years, so I only got the black and metals done on the torso. When I finish the torso today, I will post new pictures then.

Alpha PTP very nice work there mate, love the first pic. The black & orange really contrasts well. I like the look of the free hand chapter insigia, any chance of a close up :jaw: ? Like your GS skills, very neat & tidy. Great looking poses too!!

I actually found this army before I came to the B&C. My CSM warband is themed after "Halloween orange and black", so I found the All Hallows Guard doing image searches during my initial planning stages. It forced me to take a different direction because I didn't want to be seen as a biting on your style, though I am very happy with what I finally settled on. So not only do I remember these guys, they were sort of an inspiration and a challenge to my intentions, both good things.

Sorry that the update is later than I hoped for, but here we go:

I didn't get the chance to finish the left wing on his chest, and the green gems still need to be done. I don't have anymore Dark Angels Green, so they will have to wait.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP4.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP3.png

This is a sternguard I converted over the past few days when I didn't feel like painting/working on Gallows. I had to edit the background out of the photos. For some weird reason when I was taking the photos, they were coming up with dark 'waves' in them. It looked bad, and as much as I hate editing any of my work, this looks a lot better. I didn't feel like fiddling with my phone to fix it. Anywho.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SternguardSergeantWIP2.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/SternguardSergeantWIP1.png

I don't know if I will have time to do an update later today (the 2nd.)

@Doghouse: Yeah, like I have said before, this army and these models are my babies. Its and honor (and almost kinda weird :P ) as to how many people remember the army.

@Olisredan: He isn't being changed too much. The cloth, dagger, chain, rosarius, all of the rivets, and the knee additions were all taken off when he got cleaned. I am slowly adding them bad on and even throwing in a few new details. Gallows will be even better than he already was.

@Dorns padawan: The icon has changed a lot over time. It started out as a jack 'o lantern in a field of vines, then just a jack 'o lantern, then a half black/half orange shield with a jack 'o lantern face on it, and now it is just a black and orange shield. It has almost represented the chapter growing in a more plausible direction in the 40k universe rather than a cartoony army.

@Andrew J: Thanks! I'm sure Gallows is ready for some paint too. Its only been three years now. :teehee:

@-Max-: I'm glad that my army inspired you to think outside of the box for your own Halloween army. Let me see some pictures some time. Like I said to Doghouse, its strange having people remember your work from years ago. There was actually another space marine halloween marine army similar to mine at this tournament that I went to at the Glen Burnie Battle Bunker. Of course, the second game I ended up getting set against him. Needless to say, I wiped the board. My dice and army were not going to tolerate another army like that. :lol:

@VAGABOND: Thanks a bunch. I have been comtemplating where the chapter originates from when I actually sit down sometime to write some good and decent fluff. The Scythes are near and dear to my heart, so I thought about them, but when I made the army they played like Raven Guard. I'm leaning more towards RG, but who knows.

Thanks for the comments and support, guys.

@VAGABOND: Thanks a bunch. I have been comtemplating where the chapter originates from when I actually sit down sometime to write some good and decent fluff. The Scythes are near and dear to my heart, so I thought about them, but when I made the army they played like Raven Guard. I'm leaning more towards RG, but who knows.

I'f I'm honest Black & Orange are my 2 favorite colours so someone doing a Marine army that is crisp and ace looking then I'd be proud of them aswell mate. I reckon Raven Guard would be pretty cool, I'm still working on a friends commission of doing 3k of them.

I know what you mean when you say these guys are your babies, I'm the same as yourself. I've almost finished painting my Legios Custodes and loving the feedback I've been receiving off guys on here and who've seen them in person.

Alright, not a huge update for tonight. Only got the black and some of the orange done on the assault cannon arm. Spent a lot of the day fixing Gallows to get him back together. I didn't you guys would want to see him until he is all back together. :)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP6.png

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh230/HollowJester/DreadnoughtWIP5.png

@zxyogi: Thanks, thanks, thanks, and thanks? :jaw:

@Master Chaplain Astador: Isn't that how it always is though? I don't know if coming back to my space marines is "returning to the world of the living." What type of fantasy are you working on? I tried to do Skaven, but there were just too many dang models to built and paint.

@Lorenzen: I tried moving back away from the lightbooth, but that didn't work. I ended up just turning one of the three lights off and moving the remaining two back. The results are seen above. Thanks though.

@VAGABOND: Its sorta funny as to how the AHG came to exist. I was working at a local hobby shop at the time and I decided to paint some of the extra marines I had in halloween colors for October in the display window (I was 14 at the time.) Black and Orange have always been my favorite color combo, so that motivated me even more to do it. The crew at my local store motivated me to do more. When I was getting ready for GT Baltimore in '06, I was finishing painting the army at 5:30 am at the hotel across the street from the convention center the night/morning before. A lot of good memories are attached to the chapter. I also got a ton of motivation and feedback from ya'll on the board. :P

The next update won't probably happen until Wednesday afternoon. I have work all of tomorrow. Enjoy.

he's looking good, the metal looks a little dusty though.. might just be the pics.

glad you sorted out the issue, my old crappy camera was awful for getting scrolling lines over it if you had it anywhere near any lights (im honestly suprised it managed to survive near its own flash) i cant find any info on what the official cause for it is and my new camera doesnt do it.. but hey ho on we go!

Archived