Blood Red under a Black Sky

Black_Sky

Greetings fellow warrior, and welcome to my painting thread.

In here I will post updates on the progress of my LPC vow first, and general Blood angels goodness second.

With university and two small children, progress will be slow. Consider yourself warned.

And now to the important part. Pictures! My vow for this year: 2 priests and 12 assault marines.

These were assembled and basecoated around november. Unfortunatly a mob of those nefarious Dark Eldar displaced them from the painting station and stole all my red paint!

Now that I've aqcuired new paint, I'm ready to paint some more power amour.

Here is my assembled vow.

gallery_37939_5403_250443.jpg

Sanguinary Priest. 3rd of the lot. The only priest in my collection with a jump pack. His job: Keep my 20 assault marines alive, while applying his power sword to the face of the foe. Should be an easy task for such aa skilled warrior.

gallery_37939_5403_13986.jpg

Assault Squad. These guys are part of the 8th company, and are seconded to captain Castigon of the 4th. My love of power weapons comes to the fore once again. We don't play wound allocation in my store. apply no save wound first, then the rest.

gallery_37939_5403_370157.jpg

Three guys which I have yet to finish. The priest is for my mechanized elements. The meltagunners, along with a finished sergeant, are for an old squad I made a few years ago.

gallery_37939_5403_241351.jpg

And now that is done, I will go take care of my youngest, who just woke up. excellent timing as always.

The Emperor protects!

• 2 weeks later...

Update the First.

I'm in a not-red painting mood lately. And as such my angels suffer for my failings.

I decided to get something done anyway, and finished the first priest.

The power sword is painted purple along with the gems/blood drops. I've decided this was the best option, as priests are parts of the command structure, and not the individual companies. It is also the colour I've chosen for the first company veterans. Just like the GW Space Hulk terminators.

gallery_37939_5403_37656.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_571737.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_301450.jpg

Looking at the pictures I realise I should probably give the white recesses a light wash of black, just to make it stand out more. Which I'll probably do in a few years time.

This guy is pretty much the third wheel in my trio of priests, and as such pretty low on the priority list.

If somebody could suggest some highlighting options for the sword, I would be gratefull!

OMG this is it! I love the red over the wings. I'm sorry but it makes them look ssssssoooooooooooooo much better, that i have no choice but two steal that idea. (thats two ideas I've stolen this week! i'm a hardened criminal now)

Good luck with the vow, your winged priest isnt done, but i can see it will be to a high standard. Make us proud.

• 4 weeks later...

Update!

Got the first batch of regular dudes ready to a fair tabletop standard.

The helmets need a little work, but my yellow paint deserted me and got trashcanned for faltering in the line of duty!

Also, green highlights here and there, but I'm lazy so it'll have to wait.

on to the pictures. first a group shot

gallery_37939_5403_2092462.jpg

the two melta gunners. one for the squad, another for an older brother squad who have no special weapons.

gallery_37939_5403_1389717.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_238354.jpg

Four regular assault dudes.

gallery_37939_5403_750078.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_1764792.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_422610.jpg

gallery_37939_5403_2003669.jpg

And finally a back shot of how I do their jump packs.

gallery_37939_5403_1652018.jpg

If I have but one advice to budding painters, it's this: Paint the packs seperately!

Why did I forget once again :yes:

great stuff Black_Sky :)

looks like your vow is rocketing along,you must have bloodangel brushes( overcharged ;) )

they are very well done! the yellow helmets may just need a recess wash with ogryn flesh or gryphonne sepia to help it POP

same on the white helms,perhaps use a very light grey such as fortress grey watered down.it will give it a nice easy highlight instead of a super sharp one the black will give.

keep up the great work! and yes the wings look superb!

mithril

• 1 month later...

Ole boy with the green sword must have been dissatisfied with the standard sword length and requested an upgrade to big ass sword, lol.

It is awesome. Also might give the psychological effect.

I like the blue hint of the jet packs, nice idea.

I am impressed with your ability to get an even coat on the yellow helmets, something I have yet to master over white. :D

Good job, good deal, prepare to reinforce.

AA

Archived