[LPC] roooooot's Ultramarines Vow WIP

roooooot

Well, that was quick, brother. You might have nothing to do in February. :P

Hah! Sadly I go back to work tomorrow, these few things could sit there for a while after this burst of productivity.

The other vow pieces were come along ahead of schedule so I decided to add some marines that have been sitting around for too long in various states of doneness to the vow. From full on basecoat only marines, to just needing a few details added heavy weapons marines.

gallery_62416_6466_139025.jpg

Looking great! Also, a nice banner on the Dread. Freehand banners always cause the most worry, but they also tend to be the most rewarding, because you can always take pride in them in the long run. Looking at your army brings back some long-buried feelings of nostalgia, because my very first 40k army was an Ultramarines force back in 3rd ed. Keep it up, and good luck completing your vow.

• 2 weeks later...
Dread looks really good! Good blue and highlights, the metalwork is nice too. My only advice would be to drill out the Bolter barrels.

Yah my pin vice all of a sudden won't clamp down hard enough on the smaller bits. I am gonna try taping it up and seeing if the extra padding on it helps.

Actually, I really like your banner. Your freehand skill doesn't need to be perfect- Everything looks uniform and clean. The checkers really balance the banner out when you look at it, and add to the appeal

Keep it up

Thanks! I am only really bothered the UM omega, but it ain't no thing to repaint it over if I have time once I finish the rest of my vow.

• 2 weeks later...

Update tie!

Progress: two one Rhino/Razorback, one Ironclad Dreadnought, one full Tactical squad, one combat Tactical squad, and four heavy weapon Marines

Rhino/RB 1 of 2

gallery_62416_6466_173279.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_9328.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_155404.jpg

Heavy weapon marines (to be mixed into Tactical squads)

gallery_62416_6466_55779.jpg

Tactical Squad, playing with more dynamic poses and my first attempt at a proper power weapon ;)

gallery_62416_6466_294536.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_119484.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_250780.jpg

Still left: Rhino/RB 2 of 2, and a combat squad.

All in all, they be some nice Ultras !!!

Concerning the pin vice, if you have GW's (or any of the same design), there's a spare "clamp" bit in the base, it unscrews the opposite way, incase you were unaware it's there.

Cheers,

Jono

• 2 weeks later...

One more rhino/razorback down. Combat squad is all that's left to finish for my LPC vow!

Also it's my first attempt at bullet holes, and I'm quite pleased with the results. My pin vice has been acting shady after leaving some larger bits clamped in it and it wouldn't tighten on the smaller supplied bits any more; duct tape to the rescue!

gallery_62416_6466_144338.jpg

gallery_62416_6466_552982.jpg

Rhino hatch

gallery_62416_6466_363072.jpg

Posed with it's LPC vow brother

gallery_62416_6466_90744.jpg

(Muds are slightly different colour, I hadn't washed the new one yet with Devlan. Heh, washing mud. I AM SO FUNNY.)

Awesome job roooooot, really liking the mud fx on your rhino/razors, you finished a lot of your army in short time, would you put a pic of your painted army altogether here or in your Strike Force Malleus thread?

Keep the good work :tu:

Thanks!

The mud is a cattafish / FF151 recipe:

. I love doing it. The far future is grim and dirty; who has time to wash when you are smashing xenos heads in.

I've been meaning to slap together a full army photo for a bit now, I just gotta set it all up and borrow a camera. My iphone is ok for these close shots, but just gotta steal up something a little better for a detailed group shot.

Archived