Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

My Salamanders LPC thread - The wrath of Vulkan

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
42 replies to this topic

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Ok, so my pledge was 1x Captain and 1x 5 man combat squad in 3 months - sounds simple? I paint at the speen of continental drift and have rediscovered my Xbox 360, so that is getting a lot of my attention (and destroying my eyesight)

Thankfully this LPC will push me into painting something again, and, as all previous models I've painted have been dismantled and submerged in Dettol, I have a lot of bits lying around to play with

I've chosen the Raven Guard as sneaky special ops type marines appeal to me (and the Forge World stuff is awesome) so without further ado, here is my Captain...

++Image removed++

Now, the head and the backpack are only blu-tac'd on for the moment, what do you guys reckon? That look ok? Or would the Korvydae jump pack look better?

I'll stick with the helmeted head instead of the bare one as I'm awful at faces and the Korvydae head is ridiculously detailed...u

Edited by keith, 14 March 2012 - 01:53 PM.

HellHunter

HellHunter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 65 posts
Looks really great. Personally, I would go with the jump pack. His pose looks like he's about to launch himself into the air...

ETL_VI_Banner_Primus_Interpares_Chaos.jpETL_VI_Banner_03_Custos_Fidei_01_.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifL_T_3_2017_Medals.gifL_T_3_2017_Badge_01_Centurion.jpg

Pork Chop Express

Pork Chop Express

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 91 posts
Hello, good luck with keeping focus on your project! I certainly lack it these days...

I love this model with the helmet. One suggestion would be to change the facing of the helmet. Since the model is charging forward, I think he should be facing the direction in which he is moving. Of course, it is completely up to you if you have something different in mind. Regarding the jump pack, it is a cool looking bit, but it could also look good on another mini if you wanted to spread the wealth on more limited Raven Guard bits to another more "generic" marine. The back pack you currently have mounted looks great to me.

Edit: for grammar.

Edited by Esponjabob, 03 January 2012 - 04:10 PM.

Olis

Olis

++ REDEMPTIO CALIDUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 15,374 posts
I agree with HellHunter, unless you fancy repositioning the legs or the arms. Atm he's in a slightly odd pose. :nuke:
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cowriter of the Guilliman Heresy Project. First Thread. Second Thread.

B&C forum rules: Linky. Octavulg's IA guide: Linky. DIY Article Templates: Linky.

He that never changes his opinions, never corrects his mistakes, will never be wiser on the morrow than he is today. - Tryon Edwards

Grimdarkness

Grimdarkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,160 posts
Put something under his raised foot and it should look better. So far look good.

Good luck.
Excuse the spelling and grammar it's a product of a public education.

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
I've repositioned the head and kept the normal pack, I've built up the base so his foot is more supported, it looks like he is charging forward rather than jumping in the air - I'll put an updated pic on later

Starting work on the Veteran Sergeant of the combat squad tonight

Edited by keith, 05 January 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Commander Proteus

Commander Proteus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts
Very nice swap work! Adds character without detracting from the dynamic pose.

Good luck with the Challenge!

-Proteus
We can basically infer that Corax spent the rest of the Heresy roaming from world to world, brutally obliterating as many traitors as was inhumanly possible, with a thirst for vengeance that even Dr. Phil would need several commercial breaks to deal with. That's gonna take some serious gear, a lot of pent up anger, and an oil change at the very least.

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Update time...

And Mr Indecision here has changed his mind - after 2 aborted attempts to get some Raven Guard painted, I realised I wasn't feeling anything from these guys, so back to my first (and only true) love, Salamanders!

I've amended my vow to a 5 man combat squad and a dreadnought (Contemptor will be ordered very soon...) Here is my first marine, the Veteran Sergeant

Posted Image

I went for the colours in IA10, where veterans have gold shoulder trim and helmets, and I think it looks quite nice

Posted Image

He is about 45-50% done in this photo and I've since done some more, I'll post hopefully the finished model later on!

Comments and critique appreciated as always

Edited by keith, 26 January 2012 - 07:19 PM.

Bam-AoD

Bam-AoD

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 130 posts
That sally is coming along nicely mate.

Grizzly_bear

Grizzly_bear

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,837 posts
Really nice sally there mate, how'd you do the green?

i see you said you're on 360. pm me your user name if you wish.

rob
"My brothers we have been sorely wounded and brought to our knees, but i ask you to rise from the ashes of despair, by flamer we'll burn, by bolter we'll purge and by blade we'll cut out the heart of the greenskin body, Brothers rise, for you are sons of Dorn, for we the Crimson fists and we shall never fail" - Pedro Kantor

"going up against Stealers with lightning claws marks you as borderline psycho in any case...."

Lexington

Lexington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,206 posts
Great stuff! Clean, well-defined and posed perfectly.
gallery_23421_8142_1088.png

DirtyDel

DirtyDel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 45 posts
that sally looks great. i love the gold. post more soon.

Rune Priest Ridcully

Rune Priest Ridcully

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,379 posts
That is really nice, and it makes it so tempting to do Salamnaders.. wish it wasn't so expensive and need to do my thousand sons :lol:
How did you do the green and gold? am using a dirty gold on the bits like the heavy flamer, gun barrels ect and most of the details, but would now like to try that gold on a few details and the green on some tabards/robes for terminators if that was okay.

"A tale of 20 gamers" http://www.bolterand...howtopic=254659 Join the HERESY!
Need Snot green paint, will trade bits/pay for it.

QUOTE (Kol_Saresk @ Oct 22 2012, 06:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love how GW creates the Warp Talon to be some sort of super-powered Raptor, and instead it's become the king-of-all-kitbashes.

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Thanks for the kind comments guys!

The green is as follows...
Undercoat - Chaos Black
Base coat - Knarloc Green followed by a layer of Snot Green, leaving Knarloc Green showing around the recesses/joins etc
Wash - Thraka Green
Highlight - Snot Green, which will then be followed by a 2:1 mix of Snot Green/Scorpion Green then a light highlight of Scorpion Green

Gold is...
Base coat 1:1 mix Scorched Brown/Shining Gold, followed by a layer of Shining Gold
Wash - Devlan Mud
Highlight - Shining Gold, which will then be followed by a light highlight of Burnished Gold

Surprisingly easy to do!!

Momento Mori

Momento Mori

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 198 posts
This guy is looking great. Love the shade of green too! Looking forward to seeing your progress!
[img=http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad266/Chamber_Militant/Vow2012.gif]

Praise the Emperor and pass the ammunition...

[color=#8B0000][url=http://whencannonsfade.com/][color=#8B0000]When cannons fade... [/color][/url][/color]

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Veteran Sarge is now complete to a certain degree - I plan on going back to him once I've practiced painting flames and using the weathering powders on a test model

Anyway, on to the pictures...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

As stated earlier, I'm using Imperial Armour 10 for inspiration, and I will paint flames on him to symbolise the Promethean cult when I've had some practice on a test model (combi flamer and knee pads)

I've stayed away from extreme highlights for 2 reasons, firstly I wanted him to appear darker and secondly my hands arent as steady as they used to be. I think the most annoying part of this model was the transfers - it took longer to get them on, painted and sealed then it did to paint the 2 layers of green - I put it down to my choice of flamboyant sholder pads - the standard plastics are much easier to work with as the surface is a tad larger!

++The photo doesn't really do the green justice, it looks flat - please believe me it isn't in real life!!++

Comments and critique welcome

Edited by keith, 02 February 2012 - 07:51 AM.

Krakev

Krakev

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
Awesome work as usual Keith,

Loving the colour scheme and the casual strutting patrol type pose.

More please?

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts

Loving the colour scheme and the casual strutting patrol type pose.

Cheers Kev, thats what I wanted for my Salamanders, that slow methodical advance across the battlefield look - weirdly enough, they're actually the set of "running" legs from the Forge World MK IV set - I've avoided using them for so long as I hate running marines - however, I saw SCC use some as "walking" legs on his Raven Guard just by tilting them slightly and I thought it looked fantastic (and couldn't believe I'd never thought if it before...)

Edited by keith, 28 January 2012 - 03:17 PM.

zxyogi

zxyogi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,135 posts
Nice work and agree with Krakev love the walking pose!!
GW...FW should bring out more natural oses like this,looks far better!!
:)

Edited by zxyogi, 27 February 2012 - 11:45 AM.

'Brothers! These foul Aliens stand before us, thinking they are powerful enough to resist us! But they have made one, massive, terrible mistake; they have forgotten who they face!'
'FOR WE ARE THE MARINES MALEVOLENT, CHOSEN OF THE EMPEROR, THE ONLY TRUE SERVANTS OF HIS GLORIOUS WILL!! FORGED WITH HATE, ARMORED WITH TRUTH, TEMPERED WITH BLOOD!!! THESE XENOS SHALL FALL!!!! FOR GLORY! FOR HATE!! FOR THE GREAT CRUSADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marines Malevolent.........The Emperors Finest.
Hall of Honour: http://www.bolterand...p...lent&st=125
WIP: http://www.bolterand...p;#entry2872270

Sons of Heracles

WIP http://www.bolterand...htsupdate-1314/

Vulkan454

Vulkan454

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 521 posts
Great work, i love the gold/bronze! Good luck with your vow,

Vulkan

gallery_21629_1142_21859.gifgallery_70393_10089_13388.png

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Fire.

Salamanders love fire.

Here is combat squad member number 2 - I built him using a Mk 3 torso, I think it looks good but I'll use them sparingly in future.

Posted Image

I gave him a flamer, I toyed with the idea of a Meltagun, but decided when I get around to making this a full 10 man squad, I'll include the signature Multi Melta

Posted Image

As stated in an earlier post, I'll paint additional flame detailing on and weather with Forge World powders after I've had some practice on some old test models first

2 down, 3 to go and the squad is complete... Then, I get to build/paint my beautiful new Contemptor who arrived yesterday (complete with Multi Melta and Power Fist) :D :P :P

Lachdannan

Lachdannan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,054 posts
These are coming along well. Great painting, and like the kit bashing.

worrywort

worrywort

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 121 posts
Congratulation !

THe IA 10 inspiration is a very good idea !

Love the Bronze/green mix.

Hope to see some other marines with flames soon !
For long you live
And high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
Your race towards an early grave

KJB

KJB

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,632 posts
Update time!

Almost completed my vow, just 1 more marine and a contemptor to go!

++The pictures are a bit dark, it ain't to sunny in Newcastle!++

Posted Image
Posted Image

It was only after I finished the second of the 2 bolter marines that I realised how similar the poses were, I changed that for the 3rd guy...

Posted Image

He's only at the base coat stage at the moment, should be finished this week... Should be..

Then it's on to this guy...

Posted Image

I'll have fun painting this guy I think, more fun than I had getting his legs to stay in the hip joints anyway :sweat:

Comments and critique welcome as always!

Lachdannan

Lachdannan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,054 posts
Cool looking pose for the contemptor. Though where did you get that long purity seal from?

Looking forward to seeing this painted up!