Sons of the VII Legion (40k Imperial Fists)

Congrats with completing the vow! And I do look forward to seeing your Expansion models :D

Thanks Brother. And speaking of the expansion...

The Honor Guard Champion and EC when I play as Templars:

gallery_49210_4547_1831.jpg

Grunt #1:

gallery_49210_4547_3314.jpg

Grunt #2:

gallery_49210_4547_14477.jpg

Grunt #3:

gallery_49210_4547_3219.jpg

Grunt #4:

gallery_49210_4547_11846.jpg

Grunt #5, who doubles as Kor'sarro Khan when I want him too, since the pose screams "That one - he is mine!":

gallery_49210_4547_51636.jpg

Grunt #6:

gallery_49210_4547_29287.jpg

Grunt #7, who needs some GS work on his wrists in order to hold his sword vertically:

gallery_49210_4547_36456.jpg

Some more clean-up to do before I get to painting, not to mention I need to pick up a compressor!

Glad you all enjoyed the Honor Guard's poses. Unfortunately I haven't done any more to them yet. Instead, I've done some work on my scouts/neophytes, and re-touched an old chaplain model. I should be able to finish these guys off this weekend with any luck.

First off the IFE1 scouts, or at least the first batch, their 6 buddies will follow soon:

gallery_49210_4547_44425.jpg

Lead by their daring sergeant:

gallery_49210_4547_25119.jpg

My favorite chaplain sculpt. I really need to go back and redo the black, as it's terribly flat, but I'm fairly pleased with the rest of the model. After all, nothing really says "the Emperor wills it" like severe kinetic trauma to the face of an enemy.

gallery_49210_4547_62488.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_2810.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_83581.jpg

Love the chaplains fist! I've always wandered how it would look 'powered'. Great job.

Some of those scouts poses reminds me of the old plastic scouts from Tyranid Attack.

Keep them coming.

Thanks Syth! I may go back and do some more energy effect on the middle finger.

I did some work on the second half of my WIP tactical squad, not my best work but they're the tail end of my yellow experiments, so they're good enough until they can be replaced by my preferred troops. Decals, bolters and basing eventually, but by the end of IFE1. I need to drill some bolter barrels too, I forgot how crappy undrilled barrels look.

gallery_49210_4547_10696.jpg

I've had these for quite some time as well, but I thought they'd amuse you all.

gallery_49210_4547_21101.jpg

Hope you enjoyed!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the bionic pistol arm is actually a bionic chainsword arm with a weapon swap, so the angle is a bit off. I've done a bit of work on the second tactical squad for IFE1, using what I've decided will be my final yellow method. It's a Deneb Stone airbrush over Black primer, followed by 5-6 layers of airbrushed Golden Yellow. I then highlight with mixes of Golden Yellow and Bleached Bone, adding more bone to the mix for each layer. Of course, all this is hard to see in the photos.

gallery_49210_4547_890296.jpg

And now for the distraction... this has kept me from doing real work on IFE1, but he did turn out nicely!

gallery_49210_4547_1108252.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_800824.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_485131.jpg

Still some finishing touches and clearcoats required, but I'm very pleased so far.

Very nice Yellow. Although the Metals on the Dread look a bit too clean to me, but each to their own :lol:

Also it seems that the Dread has severely dislocated his left ankle ;)

Nice work overall though :)

Also it seems that the Dread has severely dislocated his left ankle

Heh, yeah, I didn't notice. He's not glued together yet as I haven't varnished him at all. I'll have to pay more attention when I put him together for real.

Love that dread! So much character! Glad to see an update as well!

Thanks Brother! Hopefully I'll get a lot more pictures uploaded this weekend.

Hey Grey have you ever done a tutorial for painting your yellow? I REALLY love how your yellow turned out but everytime I do it it looks like crap.

First off, thank you! Your words are very kind.

I've never done a tutorial, but I can tell you how I do it. If you're still interested after that, I could work one up. It's a very simple method, and I rely on the airbrush to do all the hard work.

For Infantry:

1) Prime GW Black Primer

2) Airbrush on 2-3 coats of GW Deneb Stone (haven't tried the new GW paints yet)

3) Airbrush on 5-6 coats of GW Golden Yellow, concentrating the last 2 coats on the upper half of the mini

4) Use a detail brush to line the recesses with GW Devlan Mud

5) Highlight heavily with a 1:1ish mix of GW Golden Yellow and GW Bleached Bone

6) Highlight lightly with a 1:3ish mix of GW Golden Yellow and GW Bleached Bone

7) Highlight the highest points with dots of GW Skull White

For Tanks:

1) Prime GW Black Primer

2) Airbrush 1:1 GW Chaos Black and GW Scorched Brown over the entire model

3) Airbrush GW Scorched Brown over the entire model from a ~40 degree angle, leaving "shadows" of darker color

4) Airbrush 1:1 GW Scorched Brown and GW Bestial (? - I forget) Brown from an angle like before, also leave the bottom 5% of the vehicle the darker color

5) Aribrush GW Bestial (?) Brown from an angle like before, leaving the bottom ~10% of the vehicle the previous color

6) Airbrush 1:1 GW Bestial Brown and GW Desert Yellow from an angle like before, leaving the bottom ~15% of the vehicle the previous color

7) Airbrush GW Desert Yellow from an angle like before, leaving the bottom ~20% of the model the previous color

8) Airbrush 2-3 Coats GW Golden Yellow from an angle, cover the entire model with the first coat (kind of like a glaze over the color transition), then build up the color on the top 2/3 of the model to the full yellow

Both methods are way easier than they sound, so long as you have an airbrush. The GW spray gun works fine in a pinch, but I like the finer control of a real airbrush. I can base a batch of infantry (almost any size - drying time is longer than painting time) in a half hour or so, and a batch of vehicles might take 2-3 hours for 6-7.

If you don't have an airbrush, you can achieve a similar effect by watering down your yellow of choice and washing it in thin layers over a white-primed mini. It takes much longer to dry, and you need to be careful not to slap the wash on too thick, but it works. I touch up my mistakes with this method.

• 1 month later...

So as you all may have noticed, I failed miserably in my efforts to finish the Imperial Fists Expansion. Here is the current status of the first 5 Honor Guard, the next 5 aren't even based yet, and nobody has a backpack :ermm:

On the upside, I now have a Stormtalon and 3 more drop pods :D

gallery_49210_4547_6451.jpg

I just took the photo, and it's night, so please excuse the lack of clarity. I'll get a better one once they're done so you can see the highlights and details better.

Love those honour Guard.

You have a really unique Imperial Fist Army, I like the use of the Templar Tabards.

Good Luck with your E Tenebrae Lux vow

Cheers

Thanks Brother! I've put a lot of time into them, and knowing more people than just me like the result is really nice.

Another WIP shot... sometimes I think my phone takes better quality shots than my camera ;)

gallery_49210_4547_446649.jpg

Basing and backpacks to come, along with the next half of the squad.

The two long sword on the far left and far right of the last picture are Nemesis Force Swords from the Power-Armored Grey Knight Box. The other three are Nemesis Flachons from the same kit. I got the dice from this company: http://chessex.com/index.html they can do a custom design on any of the dice they sell, I told them to replace the "6" on this die http://chessex.com/Dice/Opaque%20Dice/25402.htm with a ringed fist, two days later they emailed pictures of a sample run, and the next week I had my 40 custom dice for about $0.30 each.

• 3 weeks later...

So I was hoping to get some better photos of these guys before the ETL ended, but as I'm posting from work, that isn't going to happen :)

The 10th member of the squad is a cousin to "raised sword with hand out guy," because I kinda like that pose, and I might have run out of other hands... I thought I'd already posted unpainted photos of him, but I didn't see any about. That will be rectified eventually.

So without further ado... the nine completed members of the Honor Guard, their one completed buddy who fell casualty to a rogue D6 during league gaming, and their rhino (that's actually painted for a Tactical Squad, thus the arrow, but hey, I pledged a Rhino.

gallery_49210_4547_66209.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_85856.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_18.jpg

I've also painted up a few non-ETL minis, again, sorry for the horrible photos. I plan on doing a decent photo session this weekend.

gallery_49210_4547_13180.jpg

gallery_49210_4547_4720.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived