Hey thanks guys, I appreciate all the kind comments. Words like 'awesome, amazing and epic' have made me blush :lol: as I only use basic techniques for my painting and feel I have a great deal to improve on; some of my highlighting can certainly be a bit thick and my blending of certain colours could be better. In fact, it is this forum that has helped me further myself more than anything, so I thank you B & C for the motivation! And for new ideas for me to steal :lol:

I especially like the second picture where you've made him look really life like :)

lol and really quite fugly!!

Really nice work, especially on the avatar. Where are the lightning claws from?

they appear to be from the chaos termie lord, well, am i right?

Yep the claws are from the Chaos Termis Lord, I was a bit unsure if they would be too big when I built him but they seem okay I think. I cut them at the elbow and pinned them to power armour arms, though changing the angle of the hands for a "Come get some" look. The cables were chopped and re-attatched to where the Chaos spikes were cut, and guitar wire added were the original cables were. I did try a bit of OSL but looking at the photo's they may require a bit more.

The idea for the pose was taken from the Chaos Raptor Lord ;)

Once again thanks for the comments, helps me keep motivated.

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates for this marvellous army? ;)

Ludovic

Not really Ludovoc, as the kids have been ill with a virus and kept us up all night for a while, and now I've caught it! So I haven't felt like painting too much, but seeing as you asked so nicely, I did take some photo's as promised when I painted my Death Co. Power Weapon. Tbh an axe probably wasn't the best choice for a tute but ho-hum thats what was next to paint :huh: :-

Power Weapons Midnight Style

Colours used; Skull White, Scorpion Green, Chaos Black

1) Block in the areas of colour. The idea is when the weapon is switched off, the blade is black. When it is on (as all marines should do in a fight!) the the hottest part, ie the white part, is at the centre (axe) or base of the blade (sword/lightning claws), the majority of the blade is green, with the tip black. Thats how I imagine it any way! Picture:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1a.jpg

2) Blend the white to green, the green to black, keeping the paint thin (a golden rule which I tend to forget). As the blade is small, you won't need too many stages (more talented and patient people than me would though :)) :-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1b.jpg

3) Edge highlight the black with green, the green with white, blending as necessary. Paint the lightning in green over the black areas. The idea is that you go thinner with each colour leaving the previous on showing:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1c.jpg

4) Paint lightning over the green areas with a 1:1 Skull White:Scorpion Green, and over the pure Scorpion Green lightning:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1d.jpg

5) Paint in the pure Skull White lightning. It is important for it to appear to originate from the power cell discharger/base of blade. Make sure you don't go to mad with the lightning as it won't look like lightning. Add in OSL to suit; a lot of people use airbrushes for this and it generally looks better but I would be too scared - so I dry(ish) brush the raised areas the light would fall on with progressevly lighter colours. Piccy:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1e.jpg

Here you go, all done:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1g.jpg

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1h.jpg

Looks great on the table top :)

Next up is to redux my Blood Angels Libby into a Flesh Eater, which I have started with the face:-

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh190/MidnightRunner81/1iSalem.jpg

Unfortunatly the colour looks a little too like my psychic effects, and glowing white/blue eyse certainly didn't work against the skin tone. All in all, a bit too blue with the armour so he has a suitable helmet on order (and a new GK Force Weapon - I'm not happy with how his current one is painted so though may as well change it seeing as he is going in the chop-shop lol). I think I will paint the helm and shoulder pads in red, with bright blue/white glowing eyes.

Apolgies for dodgy photos and spelling as I'm ill!!!!!

Cheers :)

• 1 month later...
Great little tut. Thanks for sharing :)

Thanks buddy, hopefully somebody will find it useful!

@ DK2K - I have been seriously lax at painting of late, but I have built a Lemartes counts as, a Dante counts as and a forge world based Honourgaurd toting plasmaguns and maximini jump packs. Reasons for this are two fold, I am switching to more jump orientated play (I prefer it to mech) and my Daughter is teething so the lack of sleep has not helped my mood towards painting lol. With a bit of luck I will get some time to post over the week end seeing as you asked so nicely! I may even finish my libby (he has a shiny new fw helmet and a nemesis warding staff now).

Cheers!

Fantastic tutoiral, thanks so much for adding that. I've tried to do power weapons a few times and the results were never good to me. I really like this stage by stage one though, so I might take the plunge again and give it a go.

As for the lack of sleep, I can sympathise as my 5 month son wakes up several times in the night and is starting to teeth. Good times.

Excellent project. I'm trying to decide if I'll do successor original, BA or something more official like yours. Quite inspiring! One more reason to spend less time painting and more time posturing.

Thanks for the comments guys ;) As promised, here is what I have been up to recently with the infamous Flesh Eaters. No painting recently, just building a few bits and bobs. Most things are still wip, but you get the idea. There are a lot of images of little grey men so for that I apologize.

First up, I would like to say thanks to all who voted fo me in Sword Brethen

Edited by Midnight Runner

Looking forward to seeing those 'jaws of doom' on the honour guard. And you should use green stuff to sculpt a loin cloth for Valek. Check out the GS robes tutorial in the librarian modelling section, page 4. (by Marshall Barbarosa). Edited by Sepsis the Unclean

Some great looking poses here. Especially like the helmet chop on the Chaplain. I've always wanted to build a mean looking Chaplain. Looking forward to you painting the Jaws of Doom. I'm confident you can do it justice.

Also for the loincloth have you looked at the CSM sprues? I think a chain mail bit would look pretty sweet on him. They are all pretty static but I doubt it would be much work to Gs some flow into it.

The Space Hulk in my warbands backstory is the 'Harvester of Sorrow' as well ;-) 'Tallica fan?

Edited by Biohazard

Cheers guys for the comments guys B)

@ Sepsis - Greenstuff tabard? Gah! I may have a go if I draw a blank but my GS over large areas really sucks. Cheers bro.

@ Brother Syth - I hope it is the angle, but I suspect not. Failcast victory! I did try to sort it (chopped and pinned it) I will have a look tonight.

@Bio - Chainmail, now you are talking, nice an brutal looking. And skulls, lots of skulls.....sorry, should join your warband me thinks.....and yep, Metallica ftw :P

Oh and if you think these look terrifying Marshal Sampson, wait until you see my libby. Nomnomnomnomnom!

Thanks again guys ;)

Edited by Midnight Runner

Wow, this is...wow. Entirely unique. I love how you manage to make them feel like Blood Angels, and like Chaos, and also like something completely new in its own right. Your reds are fantastic, as are your conversions, and I cannot wait to see those Jaws of Doom painted up (I'm such a sucker for Rogue Trader stuff... ;))

Fantastic work, keep it up :D

Very cool models. My only problem is the counts-as Dante. He looks wrong. That breastplate looks like it should be on a standing still, regal looking model. Although chain mail and paint would probably fix it. Maybe I'm just being fussy. Edited by Coryphaus 101