LPC 2012 - Stopping my procrastination!

Hexagon Sun

Thanks guys, I want to get some photos in decent light as they never turn out quite how they look in person!

The big question is though... which company are they a part of... I was going to go with 4th or 5th, but I was wondering if there's any more information available about any campaigns they've fought in or company masters names etc?

Well, the 5th was in Vraks 1... Along with the 3rd, the 6th and the 8th. Not counting DW and RW. ;) it was led by Master Helbron. The 5th was also in the capturing of Zeriah (Altid Crusade) & the Faze V uprising (see Codex).

Truthfully though? It all boils down to you ability to paint the symbol. The 4th has the best looking one, in my view, but the most complicated to paint - checkered design an'all. Personally I have adopted the quartered style of the 5th which is easier to paint and almost as good-looking. ;)

Cheers for the additional info Captain, I must admit it's been a while since I read the codex so I just had a skim through there to refresh my memory of those campaigns. It's a shame there's not more information on the 4th as I completely agree with you about it being the coolest!

I did have a little go just before on an old mini as a test... and it turned out pretty well. I had more issues with the white and bleached bone covering evenly than the actual squares. I'll just have to make sure I thin my paints a lot more next time. Glad i'm not painting White Scars though!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/chequer.jpg

Here are the finished photos of those first 5, managed to get outside and varnish them this morning before the heavens opened and start spitting hailstones along with ridiculous wind.

Anyways photo of the whole lot

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_complete.jpg

Got a bit more confident freehanding as I went on so I added some stuff to the knees. I also found a decent way of doing the 4th co. badge on mk6 legs as it can be put into horizontal bands. I was dreading doing circles so that's a relief!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_closeup_knees.jpg

And here's a closeup of the shoulder where I tried to do his name, it's "Nuriel" just in case it's not that clear!

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o551/hexagonsun1/combat_squad_closeup_name.jpg

Hopefully i'll have a WIP pic of the next lot by tonight if this weather is a bit kinder... the wind was blowing people's wheelie bins down the street earlier. Not ideal for spraying!

These are great. In my opinion you've pitched the green just right, and I'm a fan of black bolter casing and white/grey chest eagles.

I've checked for your recipe, but can only find that you're using Army Painter green spray; would you mind explaining your steps, as it'd be great if I could get my power armour to look something like this!

Wow! These guys are looking truly amazing.

Love the freehand work on these, the little details really make them all unique and really gives them their own personality. The name on Nuriel's shoulder pad, also great. Very clear, and great display of your talent with a steady hand.

Keep up the good work Hexagon, cant wait to see the rest.

Wow! These guys are looking truly amazing.

This ^^^

These are very well done indeed Hex! Very neat work, love the bases and excellent 4th Comp. markings too!!! Just realised the chest eagles are grey-ish! VERY good call!

Cheers everyone! I must admit they're literally the first squad i've ever completed with decals/bases and varnished so i'm extra happy at the moment. The chest eagles are actually Boltgun Metal which has been pretty heavily washed with Badab Black then highlighted a little with Chainmail. It looks a bit more metallic in person but now you come to mention it, grey would work pretty well instead!

@skink - The recipe is really straightforward as I took it from another one somewhere else

1. Prime with Angels Green spray, which is quite thick so just a couple of thin coats (though I compared to to another mini and it's pretty much 100% identical to DA green over a black undercoat instead but saves time.)

2. Black line all recess with well thinned Chaos Black, tidy any overspill with DA green.

3. First highlight with slightly thinned Snot Green.

4. Second highlight with 80% Snot green / 20% VMC Ivory just in select places to bring it out a bit more, again this is slightly thinned.

Cheers everyone! I must admit they're literally the first squad i've ever completed with decals/bases and varnished so i'm extra happy at the moment. The chest eagles are actually Boltgun Metal which has been pretty heavily washed with Badab Black then highlighted a little with Chainmail. It looks a bit more metallic in person but now you come to mention it, grey would work pretty well instead!

This is actually my recipe for my Disciples! :D The picture in the book was supposedly black but it would look like a black spot in real life. Hence dark metallic, hence the recipe above! Hahahaha!

Your Disciples look better for it too, I know what you mean about all the black looking at the codex. I've actually been eyeing up the Angels of Redemption and thinking "hmmmm, maybe I need to paint one to see how it looks...". Is this how it starts!? I figure you're the one who'd know with your growing legion of Unforgiven!

Is this how it starts!? I figure you're the one who'd know with your growing legion of Unforgiven!

Yes, yes... this is how it starts! :lol:

But it also takes a small push! For the Disciples it was the relief of not having to do white termies while retaining a predominantly green force (+cool background - probably the coolest in my book). For the Consecrators it was EPK's inspiring work (+it was the time the Contemptor was launched giving me inspiration for a 30k looking force that was still legit in 40k). Now I'm thinking Angels of Redemption (I've done one in my Consecrators thread) and the challenge here is to do the halved pattern AND tackle the white... So there is one main reason and a smaller one that actually push me to commit... :)

Thanks Tengo! I try to be quite sparse with the highlights and also I think the lighter colours (company badge etc) also seem to increase the contrast and make the green look a lot darker which is a good thing.

@Semper - That's pretty much what has happened here, i saw a thread on Warseer ( Am I ok to link it? http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthread.p...s-of-Redemption ) and I just instantly thought they looked awesome. Plus his recipe for the bone/ivory seemed really straightforward and less creamy than bleached bone. So yeah... maybe when i've got a few more DA squads painted I might see what happens... Though i'll be using his recipe for my DW at least :)

@skink - The recipe is really straightforward as I took it from another one somewhere else

1. Prime with Angels Green spray, which is quite thick so just a couple of thin coats (though I compared to to another mini and it's pretty much 100% identical to DA green over a black undercoat instead but saves time.)

2. Black line all recess with well thinned Chaos Black, tidy any overspill with DA green.

3. First highlight with slightly thinned Snot Green.

4. Second highlight with 80% Snot green / 20% VMC Ivory just in select places to bring it out a bit more, again this is slightly thinned.

Thank you. Looks like I'll be investing in some green spray then!! Interesting that you prime with it; would they be too dark if you sprayed black and then green? Would priming black make the subsequent black lining easier I wonder...

Thank you. Looks like I'll be investing in some green spray then!! Interesting that you prime with it; would they be too dark if you sprayed black and then green? Would priming black make the subsequent black lining easier I wonder...

No worries, the spray is designed as a primer so it seems to cover black or bare plastic just as well if you give it a solid enough coat. It seems to be easier to touch up and bits you missed with DA green over the bare plastic though as there's more contrast.

I did a test both ways just to be sure and they both came out the same so I went without the black to save on spray. I did notice using the black obscures the detail a little as both sprays are quite thick, so if you do go down that route then be careful. Hope that helps!

And thanks MadDoc!

Archived