Camdoran Crusade

Marshal Reinhard

The new devestators are actually there, just can't see anything worthwhile at that distance. I had actually intended to take my time carefully rephotographing all the squads individually the next day or so, since the first page is getting pretty out of date. Seeing as you asked so nicely though and have vested interest in them, here are some shots of my heavy weapon crusaders right now happy.png

gallery_65134_8775_91067.jpg

gallery_65134_8775_98236.jpg

Quite pleased with the plasma glow this time around: gallery_65134_8775_114913.jpg

Such a different in height...

gallery_65134_8775_163789.jpg

So here's the more detailed photos update I've been alluding to. Essentially it's my old stuff rephotographed again, though there's a lot of new things among the rank and file troops, replacing the old. Without further ado:

Crusade Command:

gallery_65134_8775_21306.jpg

Crusader Squad #1

gallery_65134_8775_178357.jpg

Crusader Squad #2

gallery_65134_8775_127376.jpg

Crusader Squad #3

gallery_65134_8775_61228.jpg

Crusader Squad #4

gallery_65134_8775_98502.jpg

Crusader Squad #5

gallery_65134_8775_110179.jpg

Crusader Squad #6

gallery_65134_8775_85138.jpg

Heavy Crusader Squad #1

gallery_65134_8775_4327.jpg

Heavy Crusader Squad #2

gallery_65134_8775_173008.jpg

Assault Crusader Squad #1

gallery_65134_8775_89557.jpg

Assault Crusader Squad #2

gallery_65134_8775_169573.jpg

Tactical Swordbrethren Squad

gallery_65134_8775_46273.jpg

Assault Swordbrethren Squad

gallery_65134_8775_41071.jpg

Terminator Swordbrethren Squad #1

gallery_65134_8775_53916.jpg

Terminator Swordbrethren Squad #2

gallery_65134_8775_143766.jpg

Assault Terminator Swordbrethren Squad

gallery_65134_8775_22782.jpg

Phew...

If there's something that ought to be clear to most people who've seen this thread by now it is that I'm rarely, if ever, satisified.

My latest project has been to try and add a bit of weathering to my marines as I don't really think Templar would shy away from getting a bit of dirt and wear and tear on their armor. Also our ancestry is the Imperial fists, and almost everyone doing those seems to have a dirt fetish...

Black, however, isn't the easiest color to work with when doing weathering, and sometimes things are perhaps best just left alone. So I want feedback wether my attempts are adding anything, is it enough to be worth the effort, wether I can improve upon it, or if I should just leave it as is.

Here's a sample of five 'weathered' marines, compared to 5 who're comparatively spotless:gallery_65134_8775_135728.jpg

gallery_65134_8775_104983.jpg

What do you think?

Thanks for looking.

I don't feel bad for wanting to put devastators in my BT any more. Great army. No comments on the weathered vs clean. I'm on the fence.

What kit is the HB dev sarge's right pad from, the one with the little halo?

I don't feel bad for wanting to put devastators in my BT any more. Great army. No comments on the weathered vs clean. I'm on the fence.

What kit is the HB dev sarge's right pad from, the one with the little halo?

The standard tactical box comes with one of those. I actually gave it to both dev sarges, It's become something of an icon for heavy support in my crusade as my shootier dreads have something similiar too.

I think what you've done so far is pretty good looking. However, I'm going to push you a little bit to stretch yourself. Your models are painted to a very high standard. I think you should consider other potential techniques besides paint to take them to the next level. Yes, you could do a really good job with just paint, but I think you need to aim a little higher.

Weathering is something that I also intend to apply to my Templars.

I will say that I like the general effect and end result of powders/pigments, then using a fixative on them. I want to have a dusty look on their lower legs and outside of airbrushing...which I don't think I'm going to do, powders are one of the best ways to do that.

Anyway, if you haven't looked at powders, I think it's something you should consider.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been long in the coming, and even though he's not done, I feel this WIP shot does what I will be able to accomplish with him, justice

So here is the WIP on my take of our first High Marshal:

gallery_65134_8775_61020.jpg

Thanks for looking!

EDIT: Should perhaps give him white pauldrons after all, can't really decide. If so do I keep the gold rim?

EDIT: Should perhaps give him white pauldrons after all, can't really decide. If so do I keep the gold rim?

Yes to both questions.

I like your gold anyway, so that's a no brainer, but the white pauldrons visually ties him to us like no other device.

I have a Sigismund sitting on my shelf waiting for attention, but he's a reward for completing some other work. Soon though...

The work of base transplanting my entire PA portion of the crusade continues. Find its a good time to touch up my marines yet again, whilst adding details, and things like crusader seals and what not. At some point I really really REALLY should design a crusade badge too...

(click the picture or the aspect ratio is likely all distorted)

gallery_65134_8775_403900.jpg

Oh and then there's this guy:

gallery_65134_8775_172033.jpg

I did buy the aforementioned command set to get the helm. I have, though rarely, seen the helm for sale by itself on Ebay, and am regretting not grabbing it that time when I did. That said, I do not regret the purchase of the command set, as I am planning on using them as a basis for an honour guard squad. The only question is what helmet the now headless HG champion will be using. But that project is still a ways off, as I need to grab the apropriate bits for at the minimum one more model to serve as a member of the HG. Given that the command set duo is in mk4 armor, I'm thinking some combination of phalanx warder and templar brethren bits will do the job

When the new size first came out, I had actually rebased a significant portion of my infantry already, so I was too weary of the idea of doing it again. I'd reserve it for characters I figured. That said, I had never been a fan of how many marines often struggled to fit inside the bases edges of the smaller, and the new bases completely eliminates that. They also make the marines feel bigger than without them. I guess it was just really question of waiting until the thought of rebasing them again didn't bother me again, and I caved in. 

I'm also a bit particular in that I don't want to mix base sizes of comparable units, the last tactical box i bought came with the new sizes, and figured what the heck, i'll only migrate to a new base size once. After i'm done with my next batch, all of my PA marines will have the 32mm size, while 25 mm sizes are left exclusively for neophytes.

Archived