Camdoran Crusade

Marshal Reinhard

My third vow for ETL has been completed

My converted Emperor's Champion and Reclusiarch in terminator armor

gallery_65134_8775_77261.jpg

I'm not particularly used to converting, so this was a lot of good experience. Siegfried, my EC, was a rather simple conversion (maybe 5 alterations or so) while Wolfram, the Chaplain was fairly complicated (upwards 20 alterations?)

I've also done some army wide touchups, most notably on the bases, most of which probably don't merit a repost (but pictures on page 1 have been updated) save this:

My reborn assault squad

gallery_65134_8775_141920.jpg

I've also completed quite few weapon switches for my crusaders:

Plasma Cannons

gallery_65134_8775_169591.jpg

Melta guns
gallery_65134_8775_11484.jpg

That's it for now. Details for my next ETL vow should be coming soon.

Reinhard

Wow! I really love your Emperor's Champion!

Never thought that model from FW would be usefull for us...

I think I will give it a try aswell If you dont mind! :rolleyes:

Since we are also considering a chaplain with powerfist and powermaul a viable tactic you get that with the FW model aswell.....

Seems like a good buy..

Was it hard to scrap off the minotaur parts? I know that FW models are really easy to slice into so shouldnt have been too hard right ?

Good job on the EC !

Don't mind one bit, Sir Isenhar.

There were only two bull symbols on the body and arm itself which were very easy to remove with a knife. You will want something to cover the marks you leave, which I used some FW brass templar symbols for. I had originally intended to give him other arms to change his pose somewhat (generic tartaros ones) but the shoulder pads with those don't entirely mesh with molocs body, so I went with his original ones.

Forgeworld has several finely detailed character models that seem easy to convert: culln, lufgt, tyberios and now moloc. Usually just a minor symbol somewhere on the body that needs removal or covering up. Converting the 3rd ed Space Hulk characters has been (a lot) more work.

Nice work on the EC, I have prepped a similar idea, gonna use a Tartaros Terminator to represent the Black Armour, just havent managed to get the arms locked in yet.

Love the chappy as well.

-Dono

Well, next ETL vow is underway, and this time i've vowed to complete my Marshall, Marshal Reinhard, and a Spartan Assault Tank which I've spent the last two days assembling:

gallery_65134_8775_148771.jpg

When it comes to decorating it, I found I ran out of usuable space, very quickly. I'm guessing that part is pretty much done. Unless someone has a brilliant idea up their sleeve. Will be priming everything save the top most part which i will convert to carry a pintle mounted heavy bolter, which im currently waiting for.

Oh, and here's my Marshal, which I'm pretty happy with too

gallery_65134_8775_45723.jpg

Your honour is your life, let none dispute it!
Reinhard

Very nice work.

The rifleman dread seems to have a little barrel warping - could some hot water and careful bending fix that, or is it just the photo?

For backstory, it would also explain the pre-Heresy stuff if this was one of the first Crusades to set out after the Second Founding, before the newer toys were on wide issue. As Templars, they would naturally take very good care of their kit so might not have needed an extensive resupply of newer marks and weapons.

Very nice work.

The rifleman dread seems to have a little barrel warping - could some hot water and careful bending fix that, or is it just the photo?

For backstory, it would also explain the pre-Heresy stuff if this was one of the first Crusades to set out after the Second Founding, before the newer toys were on wide issue. As Templars, they would naturally take very good care of their kit so might not have needed an extensive resupply of newer marks and weapons.

I like how the Spartan is coming along, was it an easy kit to put together?

I am planning on getting one along with a Storm Eagle, however I am getting really discouraged by the number of people who are saying that the kit is pure hell to put together.

-Dono

That's a seriously nice looking army. Couple of questions: 1) What heads did you use for your neophytes? and 2) See Dono's question on the Spartan. If it was difficult, you did an excellent job of assembly.

~K

excellent work reinhard! i haven't seen your thread here in awhile, and you're done a lot of work. your OSL lighting on the p-cannons is particularly good. what colors did you use to get that color? i haven't seen the spartan kit before, does it just have the twin HB's or does it have other armament? keep up the good work!

Interesting, super old-school tracks on that thing. They look a bit lacking in traction to me, compared to the more modern designs used on other tanks.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Yeah, the Spartan comes with dual quad lascannons as well:

gallery_65134_8775_98414.jpg

Rules make it so you can choose wether they will fire as Laser destroyers (TL lascannon shots that get extra boost vs armor), or as quad lascannons (TL Heavy 2 lascannons, essentially)

Haven't glued the cannons on yet (Actually most it isn't glued yet, only the front compartment with the hatches, as well as the tracks on the track assemblies. And the cannons of course.)

As for ease of assembly: The tracks were a bit of a nightmare to put on, but that was largely due to my own lack of carefulness. The tracks seem to be just 1 bit longer than they need to be to fit around the assemblies. So I clipped a bit off in my zeal to get it to fit around. Turns out that was a bad idea as it became very uneven for something that will be carrying the entire weight of the tank (which is pretty hefty for a piece of resin) so I had to manufacture a new bit from a leftover hatch and a piece of rounded finecast sprue, which actually worked out amazingly well. Phew. Still the tracks weren't easy, but should be very doable if you understand from the beginning that it wont be formfitting all the way around the assemby. Give presedence to getting the lower parts on evenly and you should be fine.

Otherwise the main issue with assembling this kit has been warping of the larger resin parts. That is to say, they were bent out of shape. This however, was really easily remedied by submersing them in hot water for a few minutes and then bending them into shape. The front hatch is now pretty much a perfect fit thanks to this. I took a bit of work though.

I've used some of FW's pimped out doors, since this tank will pretty much be my marshals ride, and those didn't entirely fit att first, which was a bit fiddly. The front hatch was easy in that you only needed to shorten the sticks a bit and worked like charm. The side door however, were just a liiiiittle bit too big to fit, so had to snip stuff off at th edges. Not 100% pleased with how those turned out because of very small gaps.

The cables of the Quads were a bit fiddly and after I was done there were some small gaps that i hid with a small bit of LGS. The sponsons can both rotate (a little) to the side, and upwards and down however.

And that's all I've really glued together, the rest is just dry fitted for now, as I will be painting the interior of the forward compartment since the front hatch works fine. The side doors are glued on so the back part will just be left in darkness. Overall, I've really enjoyed putting this kit together (except the tracks, but they worked out fine) and I learned quite a bit from doing it.

Golf33: Yeah they're still a bit bent out of shape. Hot water does fix that, so i'll get around to it later. The fact that they're painted shouldn't be a problem, I think. Thanks for the ideas for the fluff department, it's been put on the backburner for a while now.

Krikey: The heads on my neophytes are some WFB from the Empire range. Think greatsworders and something called a men-at-arms command thug?, as well some helmet-less knights errant heads from the Bretonnia range.

Castellan Alaric: The Plasma cannons were first base coated in mordian blue (not sure about the neccessity of this stage, but since i have the colour on hand...), then drybrushed with ultramarines blue, then drybrushed with ice blue, then finally drybrushed a little with skull white. With the UM and Ice blue, i take care to not take care with that I am only getting paint on the plasma coils. tongue.gif

Reinhard

Well last night was paint night so I got a lot of rough painting work done on my Marshal... And then i subsequently followed that up by my own painting session where i more or less finished the guy.
So while he's pretty much done I do continuously notice little things that need correcting. Otherwise I'm pretty happy with how he turned out, especially the cloth, since I've never done decent cloth before. The photo here don't really do it much justice in my opinion. Base still leaves a bit to be desired, but i'm planning on overhauling all the CoD bases in the future. So it'll do for now.

gallery_65134_8775_1096579.png

Painting now begins in earnest on the Spartan...

Reinhard, would you consider putting up work-in-progress shots at each stage of painting on the Spartan? I know I would learn a lot from seeing that process, and I am sure other neophytes would too.

Well, I don't mind posting pictures but I don't know how much good they'll be as I don't really know what I'm doing. I tend to paint diffrent areas of the tank at random, rather than in plannned stages. So far I've only really painted the doors and hatches, and the cannons to any real degree.

This is what she looks like right now. You can see the top most part has yet to be primed since im still waiting on a couple of bits to try and construct a pintle mounted Heavy bolter out of.
Otherwise the only thing on the center part that's been really painted is the top front hatch and that still has some work left. Also, think I done goofed on the shield above it, since its a black shield on black background.
gallery_65134_8775_107352.jpg

Here's a shot of the back for those that are curious. Nothing much to see yet since i haven't really painted anything here yet except drubrushed the engine exhausts.
gallery_65134_8775_184069.jpg

Left side view. You can see details on the door and lascannons has been worked, but not much else. Did some simple highlights around the sponson area before I glued the sponson in.
Neither the cannons or doors are done, but i'm currently not working on them.
gallery_65134_8775_102731.jpg

Right side view. Pretty much the same as above. I really like the door design. Since this is meant to be my Marshals command tank, this motif is the reason he got the top icon that he did.
gallery_65134_8775_130459.jpg

Lastly, someone was curious on the sponson construction. Unfortunately since I've glued them into place now, I'm not sure how usefull it'll be but here are two closeups.
gallery_65134_8775_19096.jpg
gallery_65134_8775_40898.jpg

And that's it for now. From here on I will probably be focusing on painting the center part first, then the two track assemblies, but this depends on how soon I can make my pintle mounted HB. Regardless, the track assemblies won't be glued onto the body until everything is pretty much done as the model would be way to cumbersome then.

Reinhard

The Spartan is looking mighty fine!

Maybe later you can put a picture when its complete with a LRC and a rhino next to it for size comparison..

I didnt want to get it as I am planning to buy a lot of death korps allies but I might not be able to resist!!!

Keep it up battle brother!

Very sweet Spartan so far, Reinhard!

I too would be very curious to see the Spartan next to a rhino and LRC.

Also, thanx for the construction critique. Still not sure I will end up with one of these as I am feeling more Caestus inclined atm, but it does look like an awesome addition to your crusade.

Cheers,

Well, I've been fairly productive over the weekend and this is how the Spartan looks now:

gallery_65134_8775_163707.jpg

At glance it may not look as though much has happened, but most of the little details, as well as very simple highlight of edges has been completed. There are two very obvious incomplete areas left: The Tracks themselves and top most part. Been putting off the tracks for tomorrow when I will be borrowing a much bigger brush for drybrushing than what i have availble now. Top part hasn't progressed of course due to me still waiting on bits.

After those two things are done however, I'm feel like i'll have run out of things I know what to do with. Granted I know I want a bit of weathering, or dirt on the tracks at least, but not entirely sure how to achieve this...

As for size comparisons, I actually don't have any other Space Marine veichles on hand except my Contemptor Dreads. It measures roughly 20 centimeters in length from the very tip to the furthest back reaching part of the tracks, and about just under 12 centimeters from side to side, 16 with the sponsons taken into account. Or just about 5 Terminator bases in length, 3 on the side, 4 with the sponsons.

Reinhard

The way I do my black is pretty simple, the black itself is simply Chaos Black with hightlighs added according to this guide

Essentially you work with 3 layers of highlight: 50/50 mix of Chaos Black and Codex Grey, Codex Grey and Finally Fortress Grey. You simply apply the highlights on raised sharp edges only. Lately, I've been probably overdoing the Codex Grey layers a little bit, but this leads me to believe you could probably simplify the method to only using Codex Grey and get pretty similiar results. Either way, the most important thing I find is making sure to get as thin and uniform lines and possible, which probably means you're going to have to go back and clean up with black again (and then possibly redo with grey again because you took away too much, rinse repeat)

And that's really all I can think of concerning my black.

Archived