SWycked's Knights - LPC WIP

Well, I finally took the plunge:

I, SomethingWycked of the Ordos Inquisition, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present at least 20 Strike Knights, 20 Interceptors, 2 Dreadknights, a Grey Knight Grand Master and Inquisitor Coteaz on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

This thread will be for my progress updates, of which I hope there will be many :D But who knows, maybe I'll get bogged down. After all, I do work full time and go to school full time. When will I have time to paint miniatures? :)

To add gravity to the situation, beyond the sheer number of models ( 44! :o ) that I've vowed to paint, I've never really painted anything before (unless watercolors as a child count :( ) and I've just ordered the models today- so they'll be arriving at some point in the next couple weeks, cutting down my available modeling/painting time considerably :D

I'm thinking about getting an airbrush when I order some paints and brushes, maybe help speed things along for me :lol:

Also, I looked for a tutorial on painting black armor here on the B&C, but all I found was a thread from 2008 that was still showcasing the old school painting methods- thick highlights and such. Can anyone point me towards another tutorial for painting black? It would be much appreciated ^_^

Went out and got some paints and brushes today.

(Yes, these are the first I've bought, ever. :lol: )

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0012-1.jpg

So I figure I'm entitled to use the easy mode to begin with ;) I plan on getting one of my old Marines painted up over the weekend as a test mini to use on the Knights after they arrive.

I'm aiming for something like this:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/spacemarine.jpg

As inspired by this:

http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/8752/gk1p.jpg

But comments and suggestions are more than welcome ^_^

Okay, so, the proof of concept is complete. I'm not referring to the mini, itself- I can, in fact, apply brush to minis and make them more colorful than little grey or black blobs :)

I might be persuaded to show what I've done, but I'm inclined not to post pictures because my first attempt is really rather terrible :P

The army is scheduled to arrive on the 1st of February, and the first HQ (Coteaz) is scheduled to arrive February 3rd. The league I'm playing in begins on February 6th.

I've got my work cut out for me, but hopefully it helps to keep me on track for completing my LPC vow ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing these.

The only thing I would ask is to post the test mini, it may be bad but at least if you show us we can offer advice for you to maybe use for the army.

Every one was a beginner at some point and I can honestly say your attempt's can't be any worse then mine were at first. ;)

Good luck brother, watching this thread. :D

The only thing I would ask is to post the test mini, it may be bad but at least if you show us we can offer advice for you to maybe use for the army.

Every one was a beginner at some point and I can honestly say your attempt's can't be any worse then mine were at first. :sick:

Heh, maybe, maybe. I was testing a lot of things on this first mini- most of it the wisdom I've read here and there on the B&C. Things like watering down your paint to get better coverage, highlighting methods, etc. So in some places I painted with non-watered-down paint, and in others I watered it down far too much. I found that I dislike painting metallics due to their tendency to "ball up" and give you an uneven surface. Etc etc. Lots of testing going on. But I found that I like the paint scheme as much as I had thought :P

So we'll see. The test mini will probably make an appearance, but likely it'll be alongside the finished product :sick:

where does that black Knight pic come from? It looks like it'll make quite s striking force on the table..

This thread. Here's the pertinent details:

That image is from 3rd Edition... from White Dwarf # 259 (August 2001), which wasn't all that long before the release of our old Daemonhunters Codex. The black color wasn't discussed in the fluff of the article, however, and has not been addressed since, to my knowledge.

It was basically a one-off retcon of the GK colors that was never continued. But I like it- black and silver are my family colors :blink:

It won't be fast enough, even with the quickshade. ;) I need to have 25 models ready by Monday for the start of an escalation league ;)

By Monday? Best break it down to a set amount per day until then, then. Six or seven models a day should do it. ;)

By Monday? Best break it down to a set amount per day until then, then. Six or seven models a day should do it. B)

Yes, it should, except I work full time, I have class tonight and on Saturday morning, and it looks like I have to retrain some of my officers, and that'll cut out another couple hours from my hobby time...

Or you could play with mathematics like I did:

6 Rhinos + Paint + Forge World Death Guard Bitz + 12 Guinness Draughts + 100lb woman + Redbull Case + Super Glue = 2 day army assembly

You can always do detail work later.

:huh: :( That's some serious math. Just saying.

I probably will do detail work later, though. Just have them painted up enough to not be grey/black blobs. We'll see after I get them all assembled :lol:

You can have it all done by Monday. I have faith in yooo

We'll see if your faith is misplaced, traitorous woman ;)

If you can pull this vow off, then you my good sir are a painting god.

Heh, did you miss the part where I said I've never painted anything before, ever? :lol: If that makes me a painting god, then everyone is a painting god ;)

@ Grimdarkness: Thank you sir :D

Quick update- nothing built yet. I have pieces picked out for the 5 Psycannon-toting Knights that will be in the 750 list, the arms and weapons are smoothed down, and one model's full parts are smoothed down. Still need to... Well. There's a lot I still need to do. :lol:

Tonight and the weekend are going to be very busy!

:D So.... Busy...

I got a lot done, but not as much as I'd have liked.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0019.jpg

You might be able to see the gap in the rear squad- three Knights are left to be built for my 750 point force.

A Coteaz:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0009.jpg

He has some annoying bubbles on the rear side of the model- his hammer's hand has two bubbles on fingers and one on the elbow, and the front bird's beak has a bubble right on the tip. -_-

And then:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0017-1.jpg

Agh! Xeno Psyker Kittens trying to corrupt my Knights! :lol:

I also took the time to drill out the barrels on weapons-

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0008.jpg

And that's the first time I've done any hand drilling at all, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Posing Knights with 2-handed weapons is annoying as all :cuss ... You have to deal with 4 axis of movement across 3 different parts to get them lined up properly, and there isn't any way to pose them differently, aside from legs/head/torso. I've built as many of the 1-handed weapons as possible, which are a dream to put together. Having the weapon on a single hand allows for so many different pose options :)

All in all, it was a productive Wednesday through Sunday, even with class on Thursday night and Saturday morning, and taking some time to clean, cook, launder, and homework. The Escalation League is starting today, but I have two weeks to get my first four games played. I'm going to try and use the rest of this week to (at the very least) get the torsos painted on the models who will be holding a weapon across their chest so I can glue the arms on the body and have a coherent 750 point force for my opponents to play against.

The Emperor's finest have arrived.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/SomePsycho/IMG_0001-1.jpg

Now to see if I can get it done ^_^ ;)

:o Oh my, and I thought 2 HQs and 10 Paladins was a challenge to finish.

Looking forward to more pictures B)

Archived