Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New paint range

• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,351 posts
A couple of members have mentioned in the 'big release for 2012' thread that their LGS have been told to sell off their paint or that a new range is coming etc, and also that Hobbycraft seem to be selling off GW paints cheap. We take all this with the usual pinch of salt, but...

To add some more intrigue to the 'new paint range rumour' it would appear that Games Workshop have removed ALL of the painting articles from their website.

http://www.games-wor...catId=cat210004

Read into that what you will, but it could be that something is coming in the paint area

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

Follow me on Twitter

-Max-

-Max-

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,704 posts
  • Chapter Name: IV Legion XLIX Grand Company
Well that is a pretty good indication that something involving paint or painting articles is in the works. Maybe a new range of paints and a new edition of "How to Paint Space Marines/Citadel Miniatures" books is on the way? Those books are old as dirt, so it makes sense for an updated edition of them.

The Iron Hounds (CSM) WIP thread here & IA here. | Ordo Lucerna Aurea (SoB) WIP thread here  | Lamenters (BA) WIP thread here.

gallery_53134_7133_10764.jpg

VIIILegionaire.

VIIILegionaire.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 95 posts
I wonder how they would overhaul their paints...how long ago did the foundation paints come out?

Edited by VIIILegionaire., 31 January 2012 - 02:11 AM.

"We have come for you!" - Night Lords battle cry.

"Rip. Rend. Roar. Repeat" - Motto of the 9th Grand Company, Night Lords Legion

Solid Zaku

Solid Zaku

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,752 posts
  • Chapter Name: Solidus' Legion
A HA! I knew my mad ramblings some months ago about them bringing in a new line of paints wasn't just mad ramblings some months ago about them bringing in a new line of paints!
Adeptus Psychologus

Arguably the most sigged frater in the Bolter and Chainsword

QUOTE (The Emperor's Champion @ Sep 26 2011, 08:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You're a cruel, heartless monster! :o

Grimdarkness

Grimdarkness

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,101 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels.
Hmmm interesting.
Excuse the spelling and grammar it's a product of a public education.

Razblood

Razblood

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,251 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels, White Stars, Flesh Tearers, The Void

I wonder how they would overhaul their paints...how long ago did the foundation paints come out?

Foundation Paints came out around 07/08 IIRC.

QUOTE (Dark Brotherhood @ Apr 24 2009, 07:17 AM)
Taunt Marine found that thing you were looking for and cordially invites you to come and retrieve it. It is a can. He may even open it for you.

ETL_2014_Banner_V5_03B_Custos_Fidei_CSM_ETL_2014_Banner_V2_04_Primus_Inter_Paresgallery_29004_9303_28867.pnggallery_29004_9303_5600.png

TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 241 posts
  • Chapter Name: Space Wolves
Soooo does this mean that the current line of paints will soon cease to exist, being replace with a new line of colors, shades, new color names, etc? <_< :teehee:

Edited by TheLoneWolf, 31 January 2012 - 04:31 PM.

Brother_Fatiswon

Brother_Fatiswon

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 687 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Invaders
most likely same colors: new names and new jar/pot design: with a 32% increase in MSRP. wooohooo! <_<
We are Loyalists.
We are His Will.
We are Your DEATH.

Kierdale

Kierdale

++ EXERCITUM IMPERARE ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,136 posts
How to react?
Buy up the paints we like and use now? (If only they would reduce the prices to clear the stock :D )
Or wait and see, hope the new range is a great improvement? (And not too much more expensive)

Shrineworld IG GarrisonPsychopompsScythes of the EmperorMy Great Crusade-era Thousand Sons WIP / Hall of Honour

http://image.bolterandchainsword.com/uploads/gallery/album_9518/gallery_30308_9518_5514.png

gallery_63428_7083_14172.pnggallery_63428_7083_15805.pnggallery_63428_7083_5477.pnggallery_63428_7083_1107.pnggallery_30308_9518_3604.pnggallery_63428_7083_1433.png

Jaigo

Jaigo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 128 posts
+1 to Kierdale

Was thinking the same...

Stobz

Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 3,600 posts
  • Chapter Name: Dark Angels
Already been to the shop :D

gallery_33968_5962_11035.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012D.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2012C.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_03_ETL_2012A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013A.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_06_ETL_2013A.gifETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei_zpsdPtR_Black_Pearl_Badge____Shield.jpgBellum_Aeternus_02_Titanis_Belli_Badge_0
'Belial' by Michael Stobz'z DAngles

Spacefrisian

Spacefrisian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,245 posts
  • Chapter Name: Spacewolves

How to react?

Buy Valejo or another brands paint.
There are no Deamons in 40k

forte

forte

+ + OBLECTAMEN SACRISTAN ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,603 posts
  • Chapter Name: Divine Flayers

How to react?

Buy Valejo or another brands paint.

Just what I've been doing. Vallejo Model Colour has a huge range too. And cheaper.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Click on the images above for the different thread links

My Cool Mini or Not gallery

Tengo

Tengo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 280 posts
Crap, I've only just started to get used to foundation paints and the new jars.

I personally just want the paints to be like how they were in 2005

QUOTE (Brother Vader @ Jul 20 2011, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Emperor, in his wisdom saw that Slayer were the heaviest, most intense and badass band that ever was and ever will be, so he ensured that their music survived to the 41st millennium in order to inspire his Astartes when cleaving champions of Chaos into little bits.

Zincite

Zincite

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,958 posts
Hmm. Shame they got rid of those articles, I liked them. And seemingly, they haven't made any new (Or at least, good ) 'articles' for 40K since C:DE. All their Modeling ones seem to have gone too, though, and I swear there was more collecting/gaming ones. Makes me wonder if they'll bother to make any new articles.

Or maybe Matthew Ward just doesn't like Articles about his codices. :D

Personally, I wouldn't be greatly annoyed by any paint changes, unless they increase the price by anything more than the usual 5p.

Thought for the day: Better crippled in body than corrupt in mind.

IdOfEntity

IdOfEntity

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 123 posts
I hope they are fleshing out their paint range.

Take a look at Purples. I mean, come on. If I want anything other than 2 specific shades of purple I have to layer on browns and reds just to get a decent effect.

That and the current bottles have poor seals that leak any paint I dilute down very far. (and shake)

jimmimellows

jimmimellows

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 280 posts
Vallejo are infinately better than the current GW paints, and, as someone pointed out, a lot better value for money. GW brushes are a bit pap too if im honest!

Hoping they bring out paints that are improved AND cheaper..........we all know the likelyhood of that.

BOBMAKENZIE

BOBMAKENZIE

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,537 posts
  • Chapter Name: Crimson Hunters

Vallejo are infinately better than the current GW paints, and, as someone pointed out, a lot better value for money. GW brushes are a bit pap too if im honest!

Hoping they bring out paints that are improved AND cheaper..........we all know the likelyhood of that.

To their credit GW brushes are expensive but suitable for newer painters. I've worked about with Windsor Newtons and since Im not a great painter I dont notice any real difference (the WNs keep a slightly better point) The cheaper brushes I have used though do really trip me up more then GW brushes. (Though I wouldnt be surprised to find similar quality for a smaller price)
I'm Open for Commissions PM to find out more.

QUOTE (Angels of Death pg.21)
"There is a mystical streak to many of the Blood Angels' doctrines and also a strong belief that things can be changed for the better. After all, the process of transforming a scavenger into a tall, proud and handsome warrior is living proof of this tenet."

Cyrox

Cyrox

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,351 posts
I foresee a change to dropper bottles. Even the new Army Painter range has those

I wish GW would release colour sprays again

"I remember when Ragnar Blackmane had blond hair and this was aaaallll fields....."

Follow me on Twitter

Doghouse

Doghouse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,012 posts
  • Chapter Name: Summoners
I've heard that they are swapping to dropper bottles, whether that's true or not only time will tell.

Marshal Goderic

Marshal Goderic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 124 posts
  • Chapter Name: Thousand Sons
Call me crazy or stupid but how are dropper bottles good or easy to use? (not that anyone said that, it's just the logical thing that would be the motive for changing other than to jack prices) I find them messy and hard to work with.
QUOTE (ShadowHaunt @ Feb 11 2012, 05:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"We have found a mutant, might we burn him?" "How do you know he is a mutant?" "He looks like one." "Bring him forward." "I'm not a mutant. I'm not a mutant." "But you are dressed as one." "They dressed me up like this." "No, we didn't... no." "And this isn't my tentacle, it's a false one." "Well?" "Well, we did do the tentacle." "The tentacle?" "And the spiky armor -- but he is a mutant!

QUOTE (Wargamer @ Jun 15 2012, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
By the same token, 'retconning' anything written by Matt Ward is not a retcon - it's an admin removing a troll's posts.

You will never be able to make the case that the new fluff was a positive change. No one is lucky when their chapter gets attention anymore. It's just their turn on the 'What the censored.gif ' Train.

Randomselect

Randomselect

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 75 posts

Call me crazy or stupid but how are dropper bottles good or easy to use? (not that anyone said that, it's just the logical thing that would be the motive for changing other than to jack prices) I find them messy and hard to work with.

Good for measuring out mixing ratios, good for conserving paint.

Crap for mixing in the pot (i know some people do this)

Cant pour it back into the pot either if youve taken a load of for spraying for example.

RedemptionNL

RedemptionNL

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 767 posts

Cant pour it back into the pot either if youve taken a load of for spraying for example.

My vallejo dropper bottles can have their top removed so you can pour it back it. Of course that doesn't really work when your put your paint on a palette though.
- -

Vodunius

Vodunius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + LEXICANIUM +
  • 3,819 posts

most likely same colors: new names and new jar/pot design: with a 32% increase in MSRP. wooohooo! ;)

Price incease & pot change I can see, but I'd be surprised if they changed the names, of the non-foundation paints theres only a handful of paints whose names have changed since the late 80s and theres been at least one chance in manufacturer between then and now (Salamander Green changed to Dark Angels Green, and Red Gore and Blood Red were swapped round I believe).
i hate to break it to you chaps, but according to the English Language a Chevron is a V shape, if your 'Chevrons' are not V shaped then they are just hazard stripes NOT Chevrons

Horus killed Sanguinius so hard that his entire chapter feels it forever..

ultramarine373

ultramarine373

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 29 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines, Deathwatch
hrm... curiouser and curiouser

"The sound of falling bolter shells is the Emperor's wind chimes."

"When one no longer fears death, then one no longer has need of fear."

"Vengeance Like Lightning." Thunder Angels battlecry

"If your Bolters magazine is full, then your not doing it right."
gallery_43040_3860_2844.gif