skink's LPC WIP

skink

I, skink of the Dark Angels, vow on the honour of my Chapter to paint and present Belial, Master of the Deathwing, on or before the 31st of March, 2012. I promise to provide at least two WIP updates, preferably with pictures, in that time. I vow that if I should fail, I will provide the Librarium with an article and wear the Signature of Shame until my penitence period is done.

Very late to the party, and far far away from my miniatures, but I better start this WIP before it's too late!

I'll stick up some start up shots dreckly...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaand Skink is in!!! Dark Angels rule!!!

Good luck with your vow mate.

BTW the link you left in your vow post in the PCA forum linking it here does not work for me... Maybe you need to check it out! :rolleyes:

Cheers guys! Semper; consider the link fixed, thanks for the catch (had about 8 too many http bits in there, doh...)

Just to whet your appetites; Belial will be based on the Terminator Captain metal model, in my opinion an oldy but a goody. He'll be equipped with TH/SS (as my LCs guy, whilst no where near complete, is probably too finished for this) and should have a DW back banner based on the old Kislev feather poles, and will be wearing the Chaos Lord cloak.

Unfortunately work has had me away from home for 3 weeks and will do for a week yet, so it'll be at least a week from now before I'll even be able to get some pics of model bits!! (And I need to scan some old school shots of Asmodai...)

However, I wanted to get involved in the LPC before it was too late, so thought I'd rock the content-less post for the time being; don't hate me ;)

Alright mate! Have one sat in a box with PW and SB; don't think I'll be using that combo any time soon (unless this fabled new codex is as good as we all hope!!) so he is getting re-armed. Literally.

• 2 weeks later...

Annnnd I've finally managed to make a start...

No painting, just finding the model I knew I had, and prepping the bits. This was my original Terminator Captain from when I was a mere whippersnapper, armed as the model came. He got stripped a while ago, and was rearmed with the new (to me!) DA bits.

I was planning on just doing a TH/SS version of Belial, but I do love me some magnets, and I'm hopeful he'll get some cool kit in our next codex, so I've magnetised him to swap between SB/PW and TH/SS. I have also magnetised the cloak, as it would've been a pain to paint underneath and around it, but I was too impatient to paint the bits individually!

So, without further ado, about 10% of my vow is completed...

gallery_53104_6966_229729.jpg

With all of his toys...

gallery_53104_6966_267500.jpg

With TH/SS...

gallery_53104_6966_216817.jpg

From the back; I might try to use some liquid green stuff from the store to fill in the ragged holes in the cloak...

gallery_53104_6966_448538.jpg

With SB/PW - the Storm Bolter looks enormous in this picture, but scales better IRL...

gallery_53104_6966_517736.jpg

With a Captain I knocked together waiting for the magnets to dry, for scale...

Had meant to undercoat him today so I could make a start painting him at games night at the store on Tuesday but misplaced my sand and PVA, so that will have to wait. Phew, feels good to have made a start after so many of us have already finished!!

Cheers!

Taken advantage of an inclination to paint this evening, and my vow is probably at least 60% complete. All that's left is Belial's face, finishing of some details and weapons, and then a quick Dheneb highlight. Might complete this weekend...

Will try to post pictures tomorrow!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ok, here are some shots from my phone, will get some better ones this weekend as I near completion. Like I said, it needs another highlighting coat of Dheneb, the face, the weapons and then the fiddly bits like purity seals and further spot highlights etc, and then I think I'll be happy.

gallery_53104_6966_641319.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_480738.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_626955.jpg

I do quite like the dirty look to the armour, but am thinking that a re-coat on raised areas will lift the mini, especially where the wash is blotchy. Any thoughts?

gallery_53104_6966_423188.jpg

The cloak didn't photograph very well, I think it will need some more light, but it was great fun to paint! Was talking to the guys in the store last night, and DA green is a very popular colour it seems! I love how rich it is.

Ok, C&C please! Any great tips for the face?? I only have Tallarn flesh; will a base of that, Devlan wash and then a quick Tallarn top up look ok?

Cheers bru! Put in another couple of hours today and he's basically finished. Final white highlight on skulls, bleached bone highlight on feathers and purity seals, and then face and hair. 90% completed? It's been a blast!

+ VOW COMPLETED +

For your perusal...

gallery_53104_6966_281514.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_291083.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_85623.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_411237.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_72160.jpg

gallery_53104_6966_579738.jpg

I know it's a bit blotchy on some of the highlights, and the face leaves a lot to be desired, but it's the best I've got and I'm humbly proud of him. I'm very pleased I decided to get the sword and storm bolter done too; just doubled my mini output!

This has been much less of a chore than I thought it was going to be, and my thanks to everyone for their comments and motivation and to the B&C for running the LPC.

Looking forward to next year!!

+ Quick question; should I post that I've completed my vow (with a link to this thread to aide the mods) in the original LPC thread? +

Thanks for the comments team, appreciated...

I love sb and sword pose. Are you going to do some claws for him too?

Very classic isn't it! I like the dropped sword. This mini probably won't have claws, as the left hand is magnetised at the wrist, so (and I have looked) it's hard to find a sufficiently skinny left claw. Also, I already have a slightly painted version I use for claws.

Having said that, I do have a suitable right arm, I could easily do claw/PW counts as TLCs... Maybe he's not quite finished...

To the magnets!!

Archived