Warband Names

Kol Saresk

Strictly speaking, this is for fluff purposes. I know there are a lot of DIY Warbands, whether they be Legion Splinters or Renegades. Let this e the place you can let your fluff shine. Think of it like -Max-'s B&C Eye of Terror Gazetteer. Don't worry -Max-, as soon as I can I will post a link to your thread. The only limitation is that at the very least, the leader has to be PA in accordance with the Forums' posting rules.

In the meantime, let the free-for-all commence.

While black can conjure up some here are a few I thought of

Void Wraiths

Void Spectres

Storm Barons

Storm Griffons

Dark Guard

Dark Skulls

Doom Brotherhood

Doom Angels

Shadow Phantoms

Shadows of "Warband Leaders Name Here"

While none of these are the end all they all sound good. You can easily mix and match them across so you can have the Void Barons or the Dark Griffons for example.

Thing about names in 40k is a lot of them sound stupid if you thought a fan came up with them. Space wolves.. anyone.. Bueller. People on here would be like man that name is terrible.. Maybe Void Wolves eh.

For warbands I quite like the Religious angle. Blood Pact or ADBs Apothican Oath, just sound cooler.

So you can kinda just plug and play with that. Work the gods number in there if you have nothing.

The Revenants of Kharnath.

The Eightfold

The Covenant of Decay.

The Divine Indulgence.

The Ninth Machination. Prophets of Change.

The Eternal Hatred. I will hate you forever hahahahaha.

If your not religious your chaos guy should be a megalomaniac. And well everything should be named after him.

Kol Saresk's Host/warband/fighty dudes.

Or if your warband has a "thing" which they like doing.

You know like Skull takers. Wouldn't sound so cool if they liked collecting tongues. The Tongue takers..

Flayers The guys who always want a new coat.

Immolators yeah whatever sisters. Who really wants to let the galaxy burn?

Carvers

Crucifyers. You know Romans.

Hunters of Flesh. Cannibals.

These names are nearly always crap but easy to think of. Avoid I reckon.

Splinter faction who pay homage..

Brothers Hydra. Ultramarines.

WarHounds (harking back to the old days eh)

Chainaxe Fellowship.. hahaha

Iron Sentinels/Guard (Im glad after the heresy we got to stop guarding things for no reason eh. Iron warriors you so crazy.)

Noxica/ The Vindicated. Nightlords guys.

Lorgars Word

If all else fails just steal names.. The Ascendant. Stolen from the name of this forum.

I usually do some research for historical names or creatures based on the warband itself. For example, I chose the name Cadejo for my Alpha Legion Cell based off the old southern Mexican folktale of two dog-like creatures of the same name, one good and one evil, and stray travelers could not tell which was which until it was too late (Wiki it sometime, it's actually a pretty cool folktale). Worked well for the unknown loyalties of the Legion, and the Cadejo's favored ambush-style attacks fit my own cells' SOP quite well.

Research and suitibility will breathe life into a name, and your warband as a whole, plus give you a wealth of history to draw from for inspiration. Lotsa legends out there across the globe.... :P

@Heathens: I took the liberty of looking that up when you first told me about it. I liked it alot.

@Menkeroth: First, I picked black because I like the color. But I don't want a Black Legion knock-off. The thing about silver and red is that each one goes with black amazingly well. But the way the color schemes tend to work out, I could be treading on other people's territories and I don't feel comfortable doing that. Unless I fight them for it. :ph34r: As far as fluff goes, I was originally going to explain it through an observer's eyes(not an Inquisitor) in a fanfic piece which /I'm still fleshing out because I was in school when the idea popped into my head. But if I had to put them into a nutshell, I'd say that they are small in number as far as Marines go. They keep a large number of human auxiliary units. While they do treasure and protect these human auxiliaries since this is their recruitment pool, they are not against using them as suicide/distraction units. However, they are not into espionage, only terror tactics and guerrilla warfare. I guess the best way to describe them is a mix between the Red Corsairs and the Night Lords, but without the sheer numbers or experience and focus hatred.

My warband is called the Nocte Umbras after the vigilante group Sombra Negra. Took their name and modified it a bit with Nocte to represent the Night Lords and then modified it further with a latin translation because I think it sounds more badass :devil: . You can look up your favorite words or character classes and play around with synonyms. Once you find one you like just use a translator to make it sound more badass. It's what I did. You can always do what Heathens said as well and do some historical research. Never hurts either.

Oh, and to add fire to the whole "go ahead and put your fluff here" buisness, here's the first part (origins) for my Alpha Legion Splinter Cell. Next part will be my cell's first contact with an outside cell, explaining why my guys don't accociate with any other cells any longer...let me know what you guys think...

---Alpha Legion Cell LD-A 517 +++ Call Sign: Cadejo---

(Legionary Detachment-Asymmetric)

Born into Shadow:

After the Primarch Alpharius took command of the XX Legion, a complete reorganization of their command structure and combat philosophy was initiated, to better reflect the fluid clandestine operations of the newly reborn Alpha Legion. It was of these reformations that the Legionary Detachment – Asymmetric Group was born. The LD-A was the Primarch’s response to the need for a designated overt 'dynamic entry' team, called upon to headhunt command groups, conduct raids and special reconnaissance, sabotage supply lines, and execute targeted ‘Primaris 1’ individuals during the Great Crusade. When an Ork Warlord could not be brought down by a sniper round, dispatched through poison, or tricked into a rash action, it was the LD-A’s small-unit tactics which would crush the threat utterly with a direct application of controlled violence.

Less focused on clandestine missions, the LD-A was drawn from warriors within the Legion who scored high in combat operations and independent thought, but posted lower scores in manipulative confidential encounters. Functionally, the LD-A acted as a crude hammer in comparison to the Legions’ usual ‘cloak-and-dagger’ techniques. The bulk of the Alpha Legion considered such an assignment as an insult, the LD-A’s mission statement too unsubtle for XX Legion standards, but the operators within the detachment quietly reveled in their ‘black sheep’ status amongst their brothers. This alienated pride, and sense of singular purpose, would turn the LD-A into one of the most dedicated special units in the Primarch’s arsenal, despite the Legion majority’s misgivings.

LD-A 517 (5th Cell, 1st Group, 7th Detachment), Cadejo, saw consistent action throughout the Great Crusade and the Horus Heresy, acting as the XX Legions’ final response to well organized enemy opposition. The Cadejos completed missions, through small-unit paramilitary actions, that had been unsuccessful with clandestine operations; disrupting command contingents, breaking open hardened defenses, or compelling aggressive offences to turn back and protect their rear lines. None of these direct actions would win battles on their own, but instead created openings for the rest of the Legion to exploit. As the Heresy ground on and the Legion spread out into smaller and smaller elements, the Cadejos were eventually separated from the Legion network. Worse yet, the Detachment Intel-Psychic’s intercepted an Imperial astropathic message from Terra, declaring the death of Horus and the full retreat of his forces from the Throneworld…a message that was over two years old.

Forced to compartmentalize into a self-sufficient covert cell, LD-A 517 suddenly found themselves outside of their specialized mission parameters, without support or supply, deep in hostile territory, with a resurgent Imperium’s military might already in pursuit. Sworn to the Primarchs’ last orders, and refusing to bow before the False Emperor’s might, the Cadejo’s began an intensive guerilla war against the Imperium. Too small to wage any large scale conflict on their own, the LD-A instead began targeting Imperial forces conducting purge operations against surviving separatist hosts, crippling loyalist units and exfiltrating before either group knew of the Cadejos’ presence. LD-A 517 survived by scavenging from the dead and stealing from the supply lines they hit, living a day to day existence, hoping to re-establish secure channels with the Legion. It would be nearly two decades until another cell would make contact.

Okay a name has finally set itself into place. I would like to thank everyone for the efforts on trying to help me. That being said, I hope anyone who has problems naming their warbands can use these names. Ultimately, I have settled on calling them Sons of Gareen. The name is basically stolen from House of Gareen which ruled the Somalian Islamic empire until the colonial age where it began to fall under the rule of any local groups that could seize the power. Normally I'd consider anything that even remotely touches Mogadishu, Somalia to be risky because of my views in supporting the military, but since House of Gareen lived and died long before the people(I hesitate to call some of them that) who run the city since the 90's. Now this has given me a great fluff idea but that will come later.

The Sons of Gareen

For the most part they will be Undivided, but only in that they are "denominational". They know the Gods exist, but they really don't care for serving them. They live to fight and they fight to live. Sort of like the biker mentality, except with bolters and chainswords instead of motorcycles. They are also nomadic and tend to attack populated worlds, which is also where they pick up new blood for both their own recruitment and to replenish losses in their human axillary units and slaves. They tend to use pirate tactics, hit fast, hit hard, and never let your opponent get back up. Despite their "free-living" lifestyle, they are very strict in their doctrine. Due to their small number of Astartes members, they rely heavily on their mortals. This has resulted in the auxiliary units in being highly trained soldiers that can act anywhere from the individual level to the regiment/division level. However, the Sons are not against using their auxiliaries as suicide/distraction units.

Their combat doctrine mostly relies on using their auxiliaries en masse as a distraction while the Astartes break off into squads and attack the primary objective which could either be in a completely different, now undefended(or less defended) area or flank their enemy if they cannot draw away the enemy forces. They do not rely on espionage tactics. They do believe in using terror tactics to help break the enemy's morale. As such, they adorn their armor with skulls and some even wear full skeletons embodied across their armor.

Not much is known of their namesake. In fact, no one even knows if a Space Marine named Gareen ever existed. What is known that conclusive reports of the Renegades bearing the colors and livery of the Sons of Gareen first appeared in 913.M41 around the Maelstrom, shortly after the Badab War. This could mean that they could be descended from the Astral Claws or any other of the Renegades that fled into the Maelstrom with them. Or the location and timing could merely be a coincidence and that the two groups are unrelated. Since then, they have been sighted anywhere from the Eastern Fringe to the Eye of Terror. In fact, they even fought a Black Legion warband that outnumbered them three to one. What little reports of this battle exist state that the only the Astartes forces acted in this fight. And that the Sons won a decisive victory over the Black Legionaries, despite the odds. Since then, they have remained in the Ultima Segmentum and the Eastern Fringe, attacking Naval convoys and other Renegades alike. Very few instances involving Loyalist Chapters have been cited, but this might just be due to lack of proper communication between the Astartes and the Administratum.

Their livery is an eight-point star crossed with two scimitars. The colors of the Sons are consistently reported as black helmets, black arms and shoulderpads, dark red torsos with black leg armor with silver trim.( Will mess with the army painter later. In the meantime think Flesh Tearers colors.)

They are fierce warriors and while they fight to scavenge resources, they also seem to scavenge the resources from more heavily defended targets. It is unknown if they simply look for the biggest supply to plunder, the biggest fight or both since in the few Astartes-related encounters record individual Champions have challenged squad sergeants and Space Marine captains to honor duels. Unlike their supposed brethren the Red Corsairs. This has also lent evidence to their being an unrelated group.

And right about here is where my creative fuse burned out between thinking, typing and studying for school. Again, I thank everyone for their suggestions it is greatly appreciated. It is also gratifying to know that the Chaos Ascendant subforum isn't totally dead and that we the forumites(is that the right word?) are able to rally together and help each other a totally unchaotic fashion. And by that I mean the person being helped isn't being used as a human sacrifice to gain ascension. I'm looking at you Latros. Again thanks all. In the meantime, please follow Heathens' example and feel free to post your own fluff. Since it all seems to die in the IA forums. :lol:

EDIT: Army Painter took less time than I thought.

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/bleachit54/csm3.jpg

Hmmm.... Well being primarily black it reminds me of darkness, and with silver trim that reminds me of metal ie weaponry. So how about: Scythes of the Shadow?

Or how about the Black Legion?? :lol:

The.Latros.Sacrum

Silver Shadows? Or maybe the Silver Spiders from The Future is Wild, I always liked that name.

My warband is the Nightblades after my favorite class in Elderscrolls games. Most are Alpha Legionaries, with some Fallen elements as well. I was sort of developing them as an idea for a full Fallen Army-the idea that Terran Born Dark Angels still live and fight (outside of Dreads) appealing to me. Admittedly, the Red Corsairs story really appeals the the US Civil War history buff inside me ('Astartes Rights' instead of 'States Rights'), but my World Eaters are red, and I don't want to have two red armies.

I also borrowed from how grim things are going for A-D-B's Night Lords (First Claw), with a little Gears of War "Brothers to the end" vibe going. That one video where it had Delta Squad defending the downed chopper and being completely surrounded really stuck in my head and I pictured my Nightblades in a similar situation, the Alpha Legionaries mirthlessly reminiscing how it was like their payback for Isstvaan, and the Fallen not willing to back down to their former Kin who they saw as being in the wrong. That they'd never stop, they would keep fighting, to the last bolt, to the astartes to see that the Wrong that was committed brought to light, that the Imperium be destroyed to save humanity.

I pictured a Nightblade Fallen being interrogated, broken and bleeding-but unrepentant, spitting up at the Chaplins "We weren't wrong, we aren'twrong." before they kill him.

@ Kol_Saresk - Me!? Never! Its not like a Word Bearer to use a human sacrifice to draw attention to the Dark Gods :o

@ Trevak Dal - I like the Silver Shadows, good idea!

As a general comment, theres some really nice fluff being written here! I've personally not made any fluff yet for my 22nd Host but Im starting to add a bit of info on my Dark Apostle. But I have a bit of a dilemma (a meaningless dilemma really but a dilemma none-the-less). Currently, I've named my Apostle Valzor, but Im thinking I might change it Atroxus but I cant decide between the two lol.

Valzor is just a random name i thought of as it sounds striking and harsh, where as Atroxus is a play-on name I have used. Atrox is the Latin word for cruel/terrible/horror, so I just added the 'us' on the end to make it sound more like a name.

So guys help me out, which name should I choose for my Dark Apostle? Valzor or Atroxus?

EDIT: Dont worry Kol_Saresk Im not trying to hi-jack your thread, just wanting to get peoples opinions so I can eventually add my Dark Apostles background story to the thread :lol:

The.Latros.Sacrum

Latros, while I was thinking during the rest of my day at school, maybe you could name him Valzor the Atrocious?

Anyway, as promised, I managed to tie in the blue-purple Marines into my Warband. Right now they are a specific caste within the warband, but I'm thinking of making it the main color. So now I shall introduce you all to the Corpse-Seers!

http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc69/bleachit54/csmphp2.jpg

Basically, they fulfill the role of Apothecary and Librarian, like the chirurgeon-witches of the Blood Gorgons. But instead, these are welcomed by their brothers rather than kept at a distance. They also serve as the warband leaders and originally were the only leader caste within the Sons. But due to their severely decreased numbers, they introduced the Chosen caste who are valiant warriors who are hand picked to lead the most valued of squads, usually from within that squad. They also elect the Ascendant, who is the leader of the warband, in accordance to the Code laid down by Ascendant Gareen himself. To show his elevated status, he is the only member of the warband permitted to wear gold of any kind, if he so chooses to.

Also I decided to make them a bit more democratic(aka might makes right) to keep in theme with the actual pirate crews of history.

Ok so Im sticking with Valzor as the name of my Apostle. Here is the bit of fluff I have written for him (its still a WIP so its not yet properly structured and subject to change):

+++ DARK APOSTLE VALZOR +++

The name Valzor is spoken of in dread murmurs among the defenders of the Imperium.

Colchis born, Valzor was amongst the first lot of recruits deemed worthy to join Lorgar and his Word Bearers legion. He was an extreme fanatical, radical warrior priest who sided with Lorgar during the rebellion as they overthrew the followers of the Old Faith on the Primarch’s homeworld.

For his ferocious zeal and faith, Valzor secured a position as a Chaplain within the XVII Legion, under the tutelage of Erebus. He played pivotal roles in converting worlds towards the veneration of the Emperor during the Great Crusade and was only too eager and pleased to silence those who refused.

When the Horus Heresy broke out, Valzor was part of the invasion force that attacked Terra, marching side by side with Lorgar and the vast majority of the Word Bearers. When Horus was defeated, Valzor, along with the rest of the legion, sought solitude in the Eye of Terror and relocated to the Daemon World known today as Sicarus.

In present times Valzor (now Dark Apostle) has full command of a Word Bearers Host – the 22nd Host. His Host look up to him with great awe as well as fear…. and it’s for good reason.

Dark Apostle Valzor’s extreme and radical methods have only heightened tenfold over the 10 millennia in the service of the Dark Gods and there are questions as to whether his grip on sanity is loosening. His extreme attitudes have peaked to a point of pure cruelty, ruthlessness and hatred; for Valzor cares for nothing other than his Legion and the Chaos Gods.

Examples of this behaviour include accounts where the Word Bearers 22nd Host clashed with the Genesis Chapter near the Cadian sector. Dark Apostle Valzor crippled the Genesis Chapter’s Commander, Halsing, in combat but decided to toy with him rather than deliver the final killing blow. He forced the helpless Commander to watch first hand as his few lasting battle brothers were massacred by the victorious Word Bearers. This traumatising ordeal was just the beginning for Commander Halsing; the depraved Dark Apostle then proceeded to remove Halsing’s legs, arms, tongue, eyes and ears – painfully stripping the Commander of all senses, before chaining the live remains of the Genesis Chapter Commander to a large slab of stone, leaving him to rot into insanity and to be found by the inevitable Imperial reconnaissance forces as a cruel twisted message of Chaos’ wrath.

Not even Valzor’s own Host are safe from the Dark Apostles’ sadistic actions. Valzor is known to openly show his displeasure towards any warrior(s) which dissatisfies him or the Chaos Gods. Indeed, even the Host’s previous Coryphaus and his coterie was murdered by Valzor’s command due to their failure in securing a particular critical strategic location in an engagement. The skirmish had been successful, but this was no saving grace for the Coryphaus and his squad whose failure had led to a series of events that ultimately cost many of the Hosts’ number and extended the conflict by several months.

The Dark Apostle disgraced the Coryphaus by forcing him to unceremoniously execute every member his own coterie; battle brothers and fellow sons of Lorgar that had remained a close unit for millennia. This great act of shame and grief for the Coryphaus was then followed by Valzor stripping him of his ancient armour and weaponry, then (under the command of Valzor) had him transported and launched to the surface of a Tyranid infested planet, leaving the defenceless Coryphaus to his doom.

Valzor’s cruel, extreme, radical fanaticism and faith sit favourably with the Dark Gods and they reward him and his Host well.

So there you have it! :D

The.Latros.Sacrum

@Eetion: The third part does seem to stop and go a bit but I still like it.

@Latros: I like him. Leaving someone to die on a world full of Tyranids while saving their wargear for the next Coryphaus... It just sends chills of joy up my spine to remember that evil really does exist in the 41st Millenium.

Well, just as a place-holder, I've got my warband, the Host of the Graven Image. In short, an Iron Warriors garrison force that was left behind, and turned to Slaanesh to help alleviate the boredom, becoming sadistic, avaricious tyrants. Their leader, the Gilded Lord, is a sorceror who rips the memories out of his victims minds, desperate to find a memory he hasn't experienced before in his 10,000 years of existance. As you can guess, he's dangerously close to burning out and becoming a spawn, so Daemonhood is a necessary thing for him at the moment.

Archived