Gillyfish's LPC vow (now updated for ETL)

Gillyfish

Yes, I know I'm a little behind with posting this up!

I've been having issues finding a xd card reader after my wife threw our old one away, so this update is without pictures at present, sorry. Rest assured that they have been taken though.

My vow was for one venerable dreadnought.

I've started using the LPC not just as a driver to get miniatures painted, but also as a challenge to myself to try out a new technique or colour. Last year I wanted to learn how to paint a nice deep red which looked good with the DA colours, and so painted up a techmarine (see the photo below). I was quite pleased with the deep red I'd acheived, but it was also an opportunity to try out painting with high quality brushes and to do some pinning with micro drills and fine copper wire. Every army is drilled, as is the back-pack to the torso.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3342.jpg

This year I wanted to try out a new technique for painting Deathwing. I used to use a laborious process which involved flesh wash and bubonic brown and then lots of layers up to white (see the results below). It works, but it takes ages and the thought of using it on a vehicle had been off-putting.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF0057.jpg

However, with the advent of foundation paints I wanted to see if I could use dheneb stone as a base without losing the depth and richness of colour that my previous technique allowed for. I'd been able to use it on some helmets and broken armour on space hulk genestealers, but trying it out on a dreadnought would be a bigger challenge. The other challenge would be to find sympathetic colours for all that bone which didn't make the dread look like a Christmas tree but which still made the model look impressive. Pale colours really show up the deficiencies in your painting, so any mistakes would show. I also wanted to see if I could get the base (the standard dreadnought one) to provide a sympathetic setting for the model, as all that grey might make the model look a little pale and lifeless.

My next few posts will hopefully show you a little of the progress on the bone and I can then show you what the (nearly) finished model looks like (he's about 90% done at present).

I hope you enjoy seeing the results when I can find our second old xd card reader!!

Really like the red tone you achieved on the techmarine, nice and deep, as well as the detail on his scanner. The Deathwing looks fantastic as well, love the layers and the joints, as well as the banner. :(

Wait a minute... You are 90% done? :( Excellent news!!!!

So what colors did you use to complement bone (and avoiding the Christmas tree effect)? I think the best way to do it is either red or green not both -although both are associated with DW. I was thinking actually that if you start with Dheneb Stone then maybe you might not go for bone at all... Have you thought of ash-white? You know cold-white instead of warm-white? Maybe it's too late now (90% done an'all) but what are your thoughts?

Can't wait for pics! I'm putting you down for 90%.

Thanks for the kind comments!

@Kierdale and Candleshoes. The scanner was an experiment with the new brushes I had bought. Very fine tips and far better than the GW ones. The Deathwing terminator was painted about five-six years ago using the old technique (and old brushes). The new one looks pretty similar actually, which is nice, and it means that I can start using it on terminators soon (I have two or three boxes waiting to be built and painted).

The banner was an attempt to reference the old DW heraldry and background of the Plains World. I like to include references here and there.

@Captain Semper. I have refined the old DW technique to near white (see the picture below). I've adopted a similar set of complementary tones, with greys for the stone and gold for some of the detailing. The bone gives a warmth to the model that the grey would reduce, so I've been careful to go for bone rather than ash-white. The dread is slightly darker than these terminators because I wanted to keep some of the warmth and give a more gradual sense of shading. And yes, he is 90% finished - I just haven't had much time to post of late due to work commitments! I have used a limited amount of red and green, but also blue and bronze (for the plasma cannon).

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/Proofofdice.jpg

Hurrah! I have found the XD card reader.

Here are some photos (sorry for the poor quality).

The ifrst gives some impression of the bone on the dread coming together.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3379.jpg

The second gives a slightly better view of the dread with some of the iconography blocked out.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3381.jpg

Hopefully, I'll be able to take some better photos at the weekend when there's some more light - desk lamps and house lights are too yellow for that.

I've now completed most of the iconography, the plasma cannon and the base. I still need to finish the base details, the angel and add purity seal text. I may also paint on some weathering and iconography, but those are optional to my mind.

With a bit of luck my next photos will give you a better idea of the colours.

Thanks again guys.

Here's a more recent picture taken this weekend before I painted anymore - so this is the model at 90% rather than 96%!

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3382.jpg

I've since worked on the base some more and added some text to the purity seals.

Wow he looks awesome. I love how you've positioned his fist: he saying "C'mon if you think you're hard enough" isn't he ;) ?

[Apologies for the English colloquialism]

Cheers

I

I love how you've positioned his fist: he saying "C'mon if you think you're hard enough" isn't he ?

Pretty much! One of the issues with dreadnoughts is that they often can look static, so I wanted to get a sense of movement and aggression into the model, hence the positioning of the hand and the torso as opposed to the legs. I wanted him to look like he was turning and then squirting burning promethium at an enemy, spiderman style.

I like the bone treatment, 's great and very smooth.

Thanks Stobz, I'm pleased how it's turned out considering it's the first time I've tackled a model this big using bone as the base and the first time I've tried using foundation paints for this on this scale. It's definitely a quicker method than I've used for my Deathwing in the past and I think he looks similar enough to fit in too.

I'm quite pleased with the colour of the base too - I mixed bestial brown with codex and shadow grey to give it a grimier tone then washed the entire base with badab balack and then certain parts of it with gryphonne sepia and one of the other browns to give some contrast before highlighting.

Here we are then. The final photo of the finished dread.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o126/Gillyfish2010/DSCF3385.jpg

I've painted on some chips but have taken care not to over-do it.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the new bone technique and I will use it again. Should save some time next time I paint Deathwing.

Overall I'm quite pleased with the new bone technique and I will use it again.

And so you should! Excellent stuff there Gillyfish - your Ven Dread looks fantastic in its white livery! Measured battle damage also has the desired effect - its easy to go over the top with that...

Congratulations for finishing your vow!

Archived