Mordent Hex's workshop:currently FW Knight WIP. pg11-12

Update:

I tried doing chrome and did a rather nice job of it but I didn't like it at all. So i went back to a steely/platinum blue

I have no pictures of that right now.

Most my work was on the base today. lots of hours put into this thing. I love it, it looks better than in the pictures. My phone camera is not the best. Its not completely finished but i would say its 99% done.

The knee cap plates are a little too pink, i'll go back in and do some shading with the airbrush.

Also i did a bit of dry fitting for some of the plates and I super glued the legs back onto the base.

Pictures of which follow:

med_gallery_64782_9069_194740.jpgmed_gallery_64782_9069_93221.jpg

med_gallery_64782_9069_753903.jpg

med_gallery_64782_9069_112570.jpg

med_gallery_64782_9069_411877.jpg

should have more up in a tomorrow or the day after. I'm really trying to crank this guy out in record time.

This is looking really good. Cant wait to see it finished. how did you go about making/painting the base? 

I used a large piece of left over plastic card (1cm) for the crushed over wall piece and a piece of citadel movement tray(i think that's what it is.) for the tiles. I stuck the genestealers in one at a time after cutting off there legs.  Then i took a crap load of sawdust and mixed it with glue and pushed it in under the downed wall. I would not recommend this last step. I was screwing around and experimenting with different materials.  It took forever to dry and now it sucks up paint like no tomorrow. :wallbash:

Use a different filler and save your self a lot of headache.  I ended up covering up most of it with some railroad gravel i picked up at a crafts shop. The green grass between the tiles is secret weapon ash but i painted over it with some green because I'm out of green flocking.

As for the colors, the tiles are astronomicon grey worked up to white, the shading around the feet is done with a Vallejo brown rush wash(for light color models.) The cracks i did freehand with a alcohol based felt tip pen. drawing something like that with a brush is a nightmare, don't even try it unless your a golden daemon winner, just use a felt tip pen. also have a resource pic to look at so you can make it look more natural. smaller cracks and then move out with bigger cracks followed by a few cracks trailing off in different directions. I went heavy on them because well..its a freaking knight and its uber heavy and i wanted the wall to look like it was crushing the genestealers and almost at the point where the foot crash's through it. (stomp attack!)  a space marine would not leave that much of a footprint. I'm not a "crack" expert, I just thought it would look cool.

The genestealers are painted teal, dry brushed up to white and then I gave them a Vallejo dark Persian blue "wash"(this color is freaking gold in a bottle when trying to paint blues. If you don't have it, get it), and then a wash of the same mixed with a tiny bit of Vallejo black primer. claws you can do with any simple three stage bone highlight out there. It all basically looks the same. i didn't even look, just grabbed some browns and worked up to a white. The blood is straight up Blood for the Blood GOD! technical paint.

the reinforcement bars are bronze(any will honesty do) and then washed with some turquoise paint.  and rub off most of the wash on the top with my thumb. 3 steps and done. literally takes 5 minutes tops :tongue.:

Its all going to get a varnish tomorrow so that i can get some paint in under that wall and not have it get soaked up and then dry brush the hell out of it.

Hope that helps. I put a solid days work of painting it, at least 8 hours,An airbrush really helps on the wall section and tile to get it nice and even with no streaks. I was screwing around a lot so may take you less time to do the same thing but if you go big like this, expect to stay at home for a while to paint it and do it up nicely.

Hope that helps. :thumbsup: