The Gauntlet of Fenris

MaveriK

When exactly are we to post instructions for the gauntlet?

Since there are so many hunters, I'm gonna separate the lone hunters to a map of their own, while the teams can hunt with their own map. I will roll for beast types tonight and post the results once I get home from work. I'll also update the last two new players onto the list.

DEADLINE for locations and posting for instructions will be for this Friday night 9:00pm Canada, central mountain time.

RUNNING THE GAUNTLET

gallery_24878_5332_112753.jpg

KRAKEN HUNT

KRAKEN

Small Kraken6064364104+

:: The Claws of Russ ::

- forte

- Arez Greenhorn

- Skadi the She Wolf (Shield Maiden)

- postal105

- Loken86

:: The Mighty Alliance ::

- Warhorse47, Grey Hunter

- eyeslikethunder, Grey Hunter

- Khine, Blood Claw

- Russ Brother 92, Blood Claw

- Dragan Stormwolf, Grey Hunter

gallery_24878_5332_46549.jpg

KONUNGUR HUNT

KONUNGUR

Giant Elk404415395+

- truesonofruss, Blood Claw

- RabidWullfen, Blood Claw

gallery_24878_5332_53124.jpg

CAVE TROLL HUNT

ICE-TROLL

Cave/Ice Troll405513356+

- Jonas Stromclaw, Grey Hunter

ICE-BEAR HUNT

ICE-BEAR

Kodiak404414393+

- Vantius, Blood Claw

- Brother Seraphion, Grey Hunter

gallery_24878_5332_53124.jpg

WULFEN HUNT

WULFEN

The Wolf-Bitten/Failed Aspirant5054152+1103+

- Zynk Kaladin, Grey Hunter

- Wolf Lord Kieran, Grey Hunter

BLACKMANED WOLF HUNT

BLACKMANED WOLF

Fenrisian Wolf404414256+

- Brother Crazywolf, Blood Claw.

- Loki-LaughingDeath, Blood Claw.

- Chapter Master Ignis Domus, Grey Hunter.

--EDIT--

I can't believe I rolled two 6's for the two teams! now they both have to try and take out a kraken. Please look at your maps, and have your locations down before this Friday so I can start the Gauntlet of Fenris. Please take note that each player (including team members) must have their own individual locations. Those in a pack, just work together to hunt down their kill. But only the person who takes out the beast, gets the point and earns the kill. For the two teams. You will not be going against each other, your map will be your own. Solo hunters, will share their maps with other solo hunters.

I will be positioning myself on B5 and for the first turn i will fire my bolt pistol at anything that attacks.

This was a day of judgement, a start or an end of great sagas would be forged this day. A task had been set by their Lord and only it's completion could bring peace to the minds of this alliance. One of the revered Wolf Guard brethren had gone out on the hunt to sate his desire for glory, not one week ago. A week too long the Wolf lord had said, his return was required and his voice was needed in council and he must be brought back from the ice fields. So it was that five individuals had stood to retrieve this task, each had been counselled by the old man. Khine had stood because he had not liked the tone of distaste that had crept into the words of his lord. These smacked of dishonouring his teacher's name and he could not let that happen. Similar thoughts must have gone through his fellow pack member's mind as Russ Brother had stood soon after, as did three of the grey beards. They had set out in one of the companies thunderhawks gunships, which had irked the bloodclaw to no end. "Why had they not been allowed to search on foot?" these were words left unspoken on his tongue. The distance to the ice fields had not been a long journey. It would have only taken a day to arrive and return had they used their legs and perhaps there would have been a chance to hunt but not now..

Having landed the gunship on a relatively stable sheet of ice, the five of them had set out across the ice. The search had been slow going and treacherous, as the ice was melting and great fissures of water had appeared. It was like the very ocean had shrugged off it's own armour so that it could feel the sun on it's surface once more. He could not blame it for wishing for the sensation, the sun felt good against his head after he had removed the trapping of his own helmet. Cool breezes had caressed his skin as it had been exposed and he had breathed deeply, the sensation bringing his hunting instincts to the forefront of his conciousness. Something was not right, there was a bitter tang to the air but he could not place where he remembered the scent. Lowering himself down onto his haunches, he cast his gaze out over the expansive landscape of ocean and ice, searching for the source of the smell. Suddenly he was aware of where he had experienced this scent before, it was death.

B5 Please Shooting any targets as required

As he checked his melta gun again for the 5th time Eyeslikethunder wondered what he had done to be assigned this mission. After hundreds of years exterminating the enemies of the Emperor across the great ocean of space here he was baby sitting some blood claws find some dumbass wolfguard who had got himself lost. He had heard the sagas of these Blood claws and some spoke of them as the next ragnars but he waited to pass judgement when he had seen them with his own eyes. At least the mighty Warhorse was here by his side. He knew with Warhorse by his side no challenge was too great no mission to hard.

As he heard the engines tone change he knew their thunderhawk was coming into to land. The doors hissed as the seals opened the smell of salt wafted in and something else something much worse….

This was going to be good day after all

I'm thinking D7 for me. What say the rest of the pack?

Edit. Great work BTW.

So this is where a night of drinking before a hunt gets you. I really should know better by now. Merriment and Arez is always a questionable, but enjoyable, pastime. Hunting, for sure. A Kraken...hmm. Who suggested it. It'll come to me. More than likely, it was Skadi. More to see if the rest of us would go for it than anything else. As if we'd turn down any challenge with a belly full of Mjod and meat.

May as well make the most of it. After all, there's no greater challenge at the moment.

I'll take the Krakens beak. Prove I have what it takes. And to shut Greenhorn up too. If he gets it then we'll all know about it till the Wolftime.

I can smell it on the air. And smell my pack too. And Mjod. And...wait. I know that smell. Oh great. Warhorse. This was going to be tough but now....its going to be enjoyable too. Very...enjoyable.

"The Mighty Alliance"... Dragan was smiling at the name adopted by their ragtag pack... He was watching his packmates - Warhorse and Eyeslikethunder the Grey Hunters alongside Khine and Russ Brother the Blood Claws - moving cautiously across the cold wastes of Fenris. Fenris could be harsh and deadly for those too proud of themselves.

They were a mighty alliance indeed: a good mix of seasoned experience and youthful fury. Yes... maybe just the pack to succeed in this hunt and bring back to the Wolf Lord their lost battle brother.

Without even realizing it he was now in a battle alert stance… He has catched a stirring in the cold morning breeze… a scent of ill omen… Yes… There was no mistaking the scent of one of most vicious predator of Fenris… the scent of a kraken!

Dragan was grinning now. Fenris could be sweet for those seeking glory and adventure and a mighty hunt was ahead of them now!

He could see that his packmates had catched the scent too and he moved to take position alongside the young Khine…

[i position myself on B5, shooting if anything looking like a kraken comes into sight ^^]

C5 for me, shooting if able

Horst enjoyed the salt tang in the air and grinned to himself. It felt good to be with these younger pups, all raw courage and fired up for anything. Too long it had been since he had seen a kraken, and now he readied the sounder that would call the beast to them. He looked out over the cobalt seas and stopped his smile, wouldn't do to let the pups know he was actually enjoying himself, now would it?

one question mav

how are we treating the water is it difficult terrain?

I presume the dark stuff is water

sorry if I missed the rules for it

I did look

It's a solid sheet of ice, but walkable. Snow covered pieces, are solid land masses. Remember there will be three beast of the same type. Their locations will be decided at random by myself once I have everyone's locations.

Jonas pounded down the mountainside, yelling. "York, get back here, you idiot mutt!" The young Fenrisian wolf in question ignored him, charging toward the interesting smell that had attracted his attention. Training a new wolf, Jonas decided, was a headache anyway you cut it. York dashed out of sight around a rocky crag, then yelped, apparently having found the interesting smell. A roar, a load smack, and the wolf came flying back into sight. The creature that backhanded York came around the corner too, a massive cave troll, twice the the size of an astartes, intent on the now comatose wolf.

"Oi, big ugly! Over here!" A rock sailed through the air and smacked the troll in the head. Its tiny brain registered the blow, and it turned. "Now, I don't know about you," said Jonas as he drew his axe and combat blade, "but I take it personal like when critters try to kill my friends, and York over there, young and stupid as he is, is one of mine. So, how about you pick a fight with me instead?" The uncomprehending troll merely roared in response, and was answered by two others out of sight. Jonas just grinned. "And here I thought I wasn't going to get a workout in today."

Deploy B6

one question mav

how are we treating the water is it difficult terrain?

I presume the dark stuff is water

sorry if I missed the rules for it

I did look

It's a solid sheet of ice, but walkable. Snow covered pieces, are solid land masses. Remember there will be three beast of the same type. Their locations will be decided at random by myself once I have everyone's locations.

Thx thats easy then

C7 moving north

look at Forte and shakes his head if he thinks he will get that Krakens head i he is in for a fight after i rip its arms off and then hack it peaces and rushes head first into the snowy waste with his trusty spear in hi shad and combat knife on his hip with an axe in a sheath on his back.

'Take the middle high ground!' thought Hrothgar Firefist, Rune Priest of the Vlka Fenryka. He had been hunting the Blackmane across the tundra for many weeks, along with two Blood Claws. Now, the end of his journey was finally i in sight. The two Blood Claws were also possessed of great skill, however, and he saw them following the tracks up to the lair of the mighty wolf, seemingly ready to charge straight in. Recalling his days in the Wolf Scouts, he crept onto the perch, awaiting his prey. As the cool winter breeze grasped his unveiled face, he settled into his pure state, shifting from the bar brawling Space Wolf to the patient hunter. 'Hm. I may be settling too much into the Tau mindset. Ah, well. A few drinks and a good Blood Claw beating should cure that,' mused Hrothgar. Just then, the Blackmane itself appeared in the edge of his vision. He attempted to maintain total silence, and crept closer to his prey. 'I've got you now,' he whispered, and made ready to leap on the wolf and take it down, thus fulfilling his oath of the hunt.

Right, so I'll be deploying on that hill thing on C7.

Do we have to deploy around the same area?

no thats just what everyone seems to be doing. It would be more advantageous if your deployed away from everyone else unless you don't want to fight the krakken alone :)

I will start my hunt at E4 moving due east(right) looking to get into the assault as soon as pssible.

The wind was picking up, small snow crystals dancing around the young bloodclaw as he sat in the open sharpening his knife against his whetstone, some would use a spear on a hunt perhaps a club but RabidWulfen believed like most of those in the company of the Redaw that a true kill can only be achieved within the closest of quarters, where you can embrace your prey like a brother and ease its passing into the land of morkai, only then are you truly one with the beast, the beast in your arms and the beast in yourself. To be close to the beast was the curse of all those under the sign of the bloodied hunter, it was a burden that set them apart from their brohers in the fang, but it was one that they were all honored t carry.

Faintly RabidWulfen could smell he scent of his brother truesonofruss, who had come to these fields for his own hunt, wishing his brother fortune in his hunt and satisfied that his blade was sharp enough he rose from his haunches and deposited it along with his whetstone back into there respective areas on his belt. Breathing deeply he could make out the sent of a herd of Konungur that was somewhere in the area smiling to himself as he thought of the coming hunt, his inner wolf sang at the chance to hunt the plains once more and RabidWulfen agreed throwing his head back in a long howl that echoed through the field.

The game had been set and the hunt was on!

I will start my run at C-7 looking around and firing at the first not wolf smelling thing I see moving.

He could smell the Elk somewhere, his nostril were full of its scent and calling himself a true son of Russ meant he would taste its blood. He knew it would be looking for his scent and he hoped that the years as a hunter before he was risen to a seat amongst the sky gods would prove him better suited for this than the elk was to him. Trying to stay upwind he would track it and either put a bullet through its thick skull or take its head of with his chain sword. Worst comes to worst he is pretty sure he could beat it to death with his bare hands... The hunt had begun.

Deploy me on E3, please.

WLK, loser pours the ale. Let's put this poor soul out of his misery.

The fall into insanity is known all too well in the heart of the noble son of Sanguinius, many of his friends and battle-brothers collapsed into the abyss of the black rage. Fluttering in the icy wind, a cloak of deep midnight billows from the Night Angel's form as he rests his hand gently on his sword's scabbard. Although Zynk lacked the superior smell and instincts of the Sons of Russ, he more than compensated with his eagle eyed vigilance and quick mind. Patiently crouched on the high ground, Zynk's mind raced to solve the seemingly endless scenarios and possibilities in the fight to come before they came to fruition.

I'll deploy C8 with bolt pistol drawn ready to shoot anything that doesn't look or smells like a son of Russ.

Loken stood out on the snowy tundra looking out over the vast white plains of Fenris he smiled exposing fangs as a westly wind blow across him it's icy touch caressing his un helmeted face he caught the scents of his pack mates on it as well as the scent of something else. It had been awhile since he'd been on a hunt like this. Thinking about it he couldn't remember the last time he had hunted like this.

While Forte and Postal will scrap like pups for the Kraken's head, Loken is only interested in tearing out the monsters heart.

Archived