Thunderwolf pack WIP log

Maximus-92

Been working on this guy all day. Quite happy with him, still needs some sculpting work on the spear, and i think im gonna green stuff a really long beard hanging down to the left going underneath his left arm but i dont have any GS at the moment so this is as far as i could get without scuplting.

C&C welcome

gallery_40388_5249_12452.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_699260.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_519890.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_753549.jpg

This shot is a close up of the reigns that i modeled out of fabric stiffened with PVA. Took a very long time but i just couldnt stand the idea that the rider has no way of controllng that giant beast.

gallery_40388_5249_677349.jpg

Enjoy

Max

Loving the pose of it so far. The spear looks great. Where is the head from?

One thing of note you may want to fix, clean your mold lines.

*edit* also just noticed the spear isn't perfectly straight. http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/4594/gallery403885249519890.jpg

Loving the pose of it so far. The spear looks great. Where is the head from?

One thing of note you may want to fix, clean your mold lines.

The head is just from the thunderwolf kit

and thanks for the tip. I got carried away with posing and kinda forgot about the mould lines. i can see the one down the marines legs and the one on top of the wolf head. Any more i didn't spot?

The exact straightness of the spear is hard to notice, so it's the last thing I would worry about. I would clean up the sprue lines though, they blend in when in grey, but pop like all get up once you get some paint on there. Also, use some liquid GS on the top of his head where the two halves comes together and on the tail bit.

The base is awesome looking!! I love how you positioned the wolf so that his paw is on top of the TS helmet!! Great idea!!

I also used the TWC box to bash up a mounted lord, after effing with the failcast model I stupidly spent money on I realized that I could make a kick ass looking model out of the pieces in my bit box. You did too, looks great brother!!

End of Line

I don't know if you have already stuck him to the wolf or not but in the future it make it much easier to paint if they are in two pieces. I like the conversion though, what is the bridle done with? is it milliput black?

I made nearly the same thing about two years ago. Used the power/frost blade from the spacewolf bits to make the spear. Rider is almost exact same pose. Great minds I guess :D

haha, can i see that anywhere on the interwebs?

The exact straightness of the spear is hard to notice, so it's the last thing I would worry about. I would clean up the sprue lines though, they blend in when in grey, but pop like all get up once you get some paint on there. Also, use some liquid GS on the top of his head where the two halves comes together and on the tail bit.

Will do. Ill be doin all the grreenstuffing on saturday, gonna give him a really log beard. cant decide wether it should be braided or just wild.

The base is awesome looking!! I love how you positioned the wolf so that his paw is on top of the TS helmet!! Great idea!!

Yeah, im gonna give them all these bases (i have another 11 guys to do) It just adds 1/2 an inch of height and makes them really menacing. ialso think im going to buy a box of thousand sons to create victims for all of them. Want to capture the moment when a charge hits the unit.

I don't know if you have already stuck him to the wolf or not but in the future it make it much easier to paint if they are in two pieces.

the rider is removable, i will keep him that way even after painting for storage purposes.

I like the conversion though, what is the bridle done with? is it milliput black?

I used some ribbon which i split down the middle. I frayed it to make it look rough and then i threaded it through the hoops in the wolf's mouth and burnt the ends. The ribbon was then stiffend with PVA and moulded and super glued into place to give the illusion of gravity.

I like everything except the bridle and reins. I prefer my wolf and rider to have a more symbiotic/mutual relationship..

Each to their own. I just like the how they give the impression that the beast is too vicious to just be trusted without any kind of control Honestly, they took me about 3 hours to do (threading the ribbon was really fiddily) so im not sure if ill do it to the other twelve and if i do im going to have to find a better method. I might green stuff the other ones.

Max

So i finished another one

gallery_40388_5249_253549.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_224456.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_603814.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_319019.jpg

I was SUPER happy with this guy. I'm going to be buying a box of thousand sons and using them as casualties. This guy is posed to have a thousand son being hit in the head by the hammer. Its going to llook awesome.

Still some issues, didnt clean the back pack yet and i still need to green stuff the right wrist joint, other than that, a little bit of gap filling should get him ready for painting.

I exect to have 3 more done and atleast the wolves painted (3 colour minimum) for a tourney on the easter weekend. Made this thread to motivate me to get them all done, going to be pressed for time, wish me luck!

C&C as always, welcomed.

edit: EWWW giant mould line underneath, would not have spotted that without the photo. i clean that up soon.

Max

are the reins real rope? not sure i like the idea of them, i prefer the idea that the wolf is more sentient and the partnership more equal than that, however it does look good IMO

They are made of ribbon

Just put a bid on a thousand sons forge world dreadnought off of ebay. Any ideas how best to model a thunderlord taking out a dread and fit it on an 80mm base....

are the reins real rope? not sure i like the idea of them, i prefer the idea that the wolf is more sentient and the partnership more equal than that, however it does look good IMO

They are made of ribbon

Just put a bid on a thousand sons forge world dreadnought off of ebay. Any ideas how best to model a thunderlord taking out a dread and fit it on an 80mm base....

Dreadnought on the ground. Thunderwolf with the head of the casket in its mouth tearing it off. Model a demonic corpse thing inside with pipes coming out of it being exposed. Wolf lord leaning over the side, ready to fire a weapon down into it or throw a spear at it.

Second TWC looks awesome dude! :lol:

Ok, so i've had a few days to assemble the last three and the sculpting on the lord. I paid a friend to do all the green stuffing on the Lord and he did an absolutely outstanding job. Well anyway here he is the fearsome leader of the 'Black Thunder' thunderwolf pack!

gallery_40388_5249_314001.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_84757.jpg

I heard someone say that thunderwolf lords were beardy.... *badum tish*

gallery_40388_5249_117320.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_147048.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_121913.jpg

Here is the banner bearer for the pack. The ribbon will be painted yellow with "Black thunder" written in runic text along the length of it.

gallery_40388_5249_164251.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_265335.jpg

THIS IS FENRIS!

gallery_40388_5249_5964.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_598982.jpg

Mmmmmmm, thousand son for breakfast!

gallery_40388_5249_153885.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_131482.jpg

gallery_40388_5249_174171.jpg

And one last family happy snap.

gallery_40388_5249_561301.jpg

I had alot of fun assembling these guys, just have to add a few extras here and there, fill some gaps, file some mould lines and i'll be ready to prime them tommorrow. I have one week to get them all painted. Gonna be a hard slog but i think i can make it. The cmments and feedback are really amazing motivation guys, please let me know what you think.

Max

I'm not feeling the fabric, I'd change it up to a small chain if possible. Also some of the heads don't look right to me... either change them or have them face a certain way to make it flow better, to compliment the entire piece as IMHO they look more like... "hey my thunderwolf is facing forward but I'm too busy looking at the beautiful daisies or the sun setting to my left" kinda deal if that makes any sense?! also the gs stuff with the Thousand Sons, I hope you don't have that misconception of the marines actually having internal organs, as the majority of them are empty shells. I'd suggest adding sand around the gs stuff, to make the "all is dust" look believable and cool. Just my opinions, take it or leave it. Good work nonetheless.

I'm not feeling the fabric, I'd change it up to a small chain if possible. Also some of the heads don't look right to me... either change them or have them face a certain way to make it flow better, to compliment the entire piece as IMHO they look more like... "hey my thunderwolf is facing forward but I'm too busy looking at the beautiful daisies or the sun setting to my left" kinda deal if that makes any sense?! also the gs stuff with the Thousand Sons, I hope you don't have that misconception of the marines actually having internal organs, as the majority of them are empty shells. I'd suggest adding sand around the gs stuff, to make the "all is dust" look believable and cool. Just my opinions, take it or leave it. Good work nonetheless.

Thanks for the input.

each to their own on the fabric thing

I do see what you mean about the heads. One thing to keep in mind is that i will be adding more dead thousand sons to the bases and some of the head are deliberatley positioned to be looking where those casulties will be placed. As for the banner bearer guy, well he has just spotted some particularly lovely looking daisies.

As for the 'guts' i was utterly amazed that you came up with the exact same idea as me. I will be flocking them with very fine grain sand (that i spent 20 minutes siving yesterday) to achieve that 'all is dust' look.

As for the 'guts' i was utterly amazed that you came up with the exact same idea as me. I will be flocking them with very fine grain sand (that i spent 20 minutes siving yesterday) to achieve that 'all is dust' look.

I've been working on the perfect effect and I've tried several to make the 'all is dust' look believable. I used white elmer's glue. Using the right amount and waiting at the right time to add the fine grain of sand took trial and error. But the desired effect made the piece look spectacular. Good luck on yours.

--EDIT--

added..

I only say it and suggest it because I've tried both. I've found the chain to look aesthetically better. Each to their own indeed but don't rule it out unless you've tried it yourself.

I've been working on the perfect effect and I've tried several to make the 'all is dust' look believable. I used white elmer's glue. Using the right amount and waiting at the right time to add the fine grain of sand took trial and error. But the desired effect made the piece look spectacular. Good luck on yours.

--EDIT--

added..

I only say it and suggest it because I've tried both. I've found the chain to look aesthetically better. Each to their own indeed but don't rule it out unless you've tried it yourself.

Yeah i'm not saying its a bad idea i just like the fabric. The chain would work very well too but after spending SOO much time tryig to thread those reins (still haveone more to do....) it would break my heart if i pulled them off. They aare also superglued in place to add stuffness and gravity to them so removing them would likely leavy very ugly marks on the fur.

I'm also curious if anyone has any experience painting glacial ice sheets. I really want the bases to look good, building them was very time consuming. My current plan is to spray the white and then use very watered down enchanted blue, ice blue and space wolves grey all in different areas with wet blending at the transition points. It will give it a kind of 'swirly effect'. I'm just not sure if it will look any good. Any better ideas/tips ?

My current plan is to spray the white and then use very watered down enchanted blue, ice blue and space wolves grey all in different areas with wet blending at the transition points. It will give it a kind of 'swirly effect'. I'm just not sure if it will look any good. Any better ideas/tips ?

Using spray paint in any form on that base will dissolve the foam core unless you coat the foam with an acrylic paint or wood filler or something to serve as a buffer.

My current plan is to spray the white and then use very watered down enchanted blue, ice blue and space wolves grey all in different areas with wet blending at the transition points. It will give it a kind of 'swirly effect'. I'm just not sure if it will look any good. Any better ideas/tips ?

Using spray paint in any form on that base will dissolve the foam core unless you coat the foam with an acrylic paint or wood filler or something to serve as a buffer.

Yeah i know, not a mistake you make twice...

I made nearly the same thing about two years ago. Used the power/frost blade from the spacewolf bits to make the spear. Rider is almost exact same pose. Great minds I guess :(

haha, can i see that anywhere on the interwebs?

---------------

Sadly no. He parished in combat. My wife's cat came in via deepstrike and pushed him off the shelf. He was a Mr dandy resin model so it broke into several pieces when it hit our hardwood floor. I haven't gotten around to trying to fix it yet. Yours looks better anyway. You've inspired me to do better.

I really like the pose on the guy with the thunderhammer. I'd have to call him my favorite. I could practicaly hear the excitment in your voice while you've been posting these over the last few days, it's always nice to share something your excited about and someone to come back with yea I think thats pretty cool to. Personally, I'm not feeling the reins as they are currently. I may have been more receptant to chains as I've seen that a time or two and they didn't look to terribly bad. Perhaps once their painted I'll be a believer :confused: .

I do have to ask, that guy with the chainspear pointed down, with the greenstuff wrapped arround it. What is it he's doing? He reminded me of one of thoes dancer girls with the ribbon on a stick who flip it arround as they dance. I don't remember what it's called.

Mold lines my friend, all thoes paws are going to come back to bite you. I noticed above you mentioned going back to file them, you would have had an easier time cleaning them up before glueing your modles together. I remember how agrivated I was when cleaning them up on just three models before gluing them together. I can't imagine how pissed i'd be trying to do it after they were based.

Archived