Terrain and Objectives (Necron building kit)

• 1 year later...

#Casts Thread Resurrection#

IT’S ALIVE!!!

Though I don’t game these days, the last time I did was over a year ago: running some games of Kill Team at the school I work at. I may be able to do so again – either Kill Team or Age of Sigmar – so I’m keen to make a board, rather than using some sheets of green felt as we did in the past.

From the local hundred-yen store I can get:

• 12”x8” boards (so with six I can make a 4’x4’ board, and perhaps buy three more to extend it to 6’x4’ in the future). The small size makes them easy to store.
  • ‘kami nendo’ (a kinda papier mache I’ve used for sculpting diorama bases before. Easy to use, very light and a little spongy when dried rather than likely to chip).
  • Clear resin. For water effects.
Already at home:
  • Sand. Lots of it.
  • Glue.
  • Flock/static grass.
  • Paints.
So, the plan is to make six boards, covered in turf with areas of bare earth. I plan to make them relatively flat and featureless so that other pieces can be put on top (roads, lakes, rivers, bridges, forests, craters, buildings, fences/walls/hedges, hills, etc.).

Though it might be nice to make boards with some of those features sculpted/recessed into them, on the other hand making them as pieces which I can place down anywhere on the six plain boards gives more variety (not to mention I don’t need to make as many boards. Storage is at a premium here!). Thus I’ll make some roads and rivers in sections to be placed atop the boards.

Roads

As I hope to use the board for both 40k and AoS I’ll eventually make both `concrete` roads and dirty roads (for AoS/feudal 40k worlds). What do you think of 6” width and 8” length for concrete (straight section) roads, and some 45 and 90 degree angle pieces. Probably 2 or 3” width for the dirty track roads (thinking about the likely size of an animal-pulled cart).

Rivers

Again, probably 8” length. Width...?

I’ll start with some clean water ones. Rivers of blood, lava, toxic sludge, etc. can be future projects!

Future boards

In the future I would like to do a few boards with terrain features built in:

• A couple of beach/coast boards for the ubiquitous Normandy Landingsesque games.
  • Similarly a port/dockside one is an idea.
  • Dig into the boards a bit and do trenches.
  • Erm...any suggestions?
Scatter Terrain Ideas
  • In the CSM forum I promised to use the chopping block and axe from a Chaos warshrine to do a Khornate sacrificial/ritual ring/space thingy.
  • Finish the landing pad I started years back (found electronically earlier in this thread, found physically somewhere in the depths of my cupboard).
  • Crates (SF and wooden. I always wanted to try some of those military mesh boxes containing bags filled with sand the name of which escapes me now!)
  • Road signs (again, both genres/tech levels).
  • Wells, mineheads (the latter perhaps built into a hill).
  • Forests.
  • Buildings, of course.
  • Craters. I have the old GW moonscape but some more, perhaps containing wreckage.
That's the plan. :smile.:

Squigsquasher, now that is something that would be fun! Not something I'd want my young son stumbling over while he's looking for his toys though. I have to keep a few of my minis in boxes on high shelves already!

I've started on one of the six boards, doing it as a proof of concept. Next up is adding sand. No photos yet as you don't want to see what looks like a cork board smeared with cack.

• 2 months later...

On a suggestion from WarriorFish, I'm making the board and scatter terrain winter themed. Due to storage space concerns I'm holding off on the board tiles (white felt will stand in for the meantime) but getting some scatter terrain done.

I started with a lake...

Kaminendo ('paper putty', soft, extremely light and dries a liiiiittle spongy which is good) for sculpting, with bark for rock.

med_gallery_63428_6841_1720453.jpg

Sand added.

med_gallery_63428_6841_1229377.jpg

Painted, UV resin for water, grass tufts and (Tamiya) snow added.

med_gallery_63428_6841_812231.jpg

Another angle to show the light on the water.

med_gallery_63428_6841_1360198.jpg

med_gallery_63428_6841_1343488.jpg

And with one of my CSM lords to show scale.

med_gallery_63428_6841_1255501.jpg

In hindsight I wish I'd added static grass to the edge of the piece before adding the snow.

And if I do another large water feature I might try adding some cut up pieces of clear plastic sheet on the top of the resin as ice.

Thanks.

I had hoped for a flat, even lake but the resin is UV activated and I poured it in th middle of a very sunny day here in Tokyo and I think it was hardening as soon as it hit the surface of the model... which on the other hand did give it some interesting ripple effects, which is something I might be able use deliberately in the future. And if I do want a perfectly flat surface next time instead I'll pour the resin onto the model somewhere where it is not in direct sunlight and then put it outside once it settles.

• 9 months later...

Well, it’s been almost exactly a year since I said I was going to make a six-piece gaming board...

That didn’t happen.

I realised I didn’t have the storage room, nor would it get much use.

However I did today start on remaking the boards from Space Crusade, which should be a blast from the past for those of you approaching 40 (or already over it).

Smaller. Easier to store. Useful for small games.

I spent quite a bit of time (longer than I did considering whether I have the time for a project like this alongside all my armies) wondering whether to divide the 30cm x 30cm boards into 3x3cm squares to better accommodate 32mm bases (which would mean reducing the old 12 square by 12 square boards to 10 by 10) or stick with 2.5x2.5cm squares and keep it 12sq.x12sq.

I did the latter. 32’s will squeeze on :)

One quick WIP:

med_gallery_63428_7083_1540.jpeg

That’s the rooms tiled (though the tiles need some weathering and I’ll add some sand here and there. Maybe the odd severed, protruding cable). The corridors will be mesh and I need to lay down pipes and cables beneath beforehand.

Fine strips will be added to demark walls later.

And I’ll need to make some doors.

Once I’ve replicated the original four boards, if I’m still in the mood, perhaps I’ll do some original ones, or outdoor ones. Or a little bit of spot-terrain/furniture (a-la Heroquest. It’s tempting to do a fantasy one if this goes well).

Let’s see how far this gets :D

Nothing particularly inspirational to post, just progress.

Been busy with my 1kSons but while waiting for stuff to dry I slowly painted up my Aegis line's quad guns. I was originally going to remove the Aquilas and do it all in crimson and gold but then thought that I might, in the future, start up other armies (who has only one?) and so thought it best to keep it neutral. Hence grey and metal, with Aquila left complete.

Clearly some bum graffiti'd on the side...and someone else numbered the energy readings so the gunner can remember which is monitoring which barrel...

Must get the rest of the line done now, then perhaps back to some objective markers when my Book finally arrives...

gallery_63428_6841_9201.jpg

gallery_63428_6841_56932.jpg

gallery_63428_6841_92160.jpg

Great work on those numbers!!! And the whole piece looks great.

I guess that 12nr 32mm squares a side was too big then?

...I also assume that you'll be updating the models too?

Either way, I'm looking forward to this and will be following with interest! :)

The idea for the project came to me when I saw the 30cm x 30cm cork boards in the 100yen shop and I thought “I could make some kinda small modular game board with those...”, and that became Space Crusade when I got home with them. Thus I didn’t get anything 38.4cm x 38.4cm ;)

I might eventually get around to trying to recreate the full set, minis and cards and all. But first of all just the boards.

Have you looked into getting some evergreen plasticard rather than cutting out each square individually?

https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collections/040-1-0mm-opaque-white-polystyrene-sidewalk

Well, I’m trying to keep it cheap, so don’t want to buy too much...but then again I am stood right now as I type this, outside Yodobashi: big apppliance store with a good hobby floor...which has Evergreen goods :tu:

I’ll see what I can get.

I don’t mind cutting out tiles individually though as I can put them on wonky (as I did with many on that first board).

Do not suggest rivets.

This is taking enough time from my Psychopomps and Mentors as it is!

For reference here is the board I’m making first:

gallery_63428_6841_40811.jpeg

And here is today’s progress:

Without grating first so you can see the wires and pipes.

med_gallery_63428_6841_394264.jpeg

I did hazard stripes round the edge as I figured it would look better under the grating than just metal.

And with the grating placed (but not yet fixed) on top:

med_gallery_63428_6841_643388.jpeg

There will be strips atop the grating both to hold them down and to mark out the squares on them.

In the L-shaped room I’ve scattered some small debris which I’ll do like Martian Ironearth, and will add some other Mars-dust on the gratings and in the space underneath (the whole board will get a good varnishing in the end for protection).

I will not be doing the (original) mirror-floored room mirrored. Any suggestions?

I added a small vent and wire to the floor of the lower-right room.

Like the upper left room, all will get painted floors.

Talking of the upper-left (beige) room, the original has 12 chapter icons on it. Well, this is a quickie project, not a perfect replication (or I’d just download scans and print it!), so I’m open to changing this.

I plan to put an Aquila in the center.

I could put the following chapter icons around it as I have their decals: Ultramarines, White Scars, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, Imperial Fists, Crimson Fists, Salamanders, Space. Those eight would fit nicely into the adjacent tiles...but a part of me can’t think why a room (on this space hulk?) would have all those eight chapters’ symbols.

Instead, I could theme tie the board to the Dark Angels as I have the Space Marine Vehicle Transfer sheet which has, IIRC, the company icons on it.

Or make it an Ultramarine ship as I have stacks of their decals unused.

Or...???

I don’t have Mentor Legion decals to spare.

For here and there I do have lots of small warning and script decal though :tu:

EDIT - The more I think about it, the more tempted I have to go with Dark Angels...

EDIT2 - I think I have DA chapter icons from a drop pod somewhere in my bitz box and will have more DA bitz left over from my Mentor Legion Nephilim...I think it’s going to be a DA hulk.

This looks great. I still have an old copy of Space Crusade the board and Amiga game were my real intro to this setting along with Heroquest way back when. I’ve always had a plan for something similar to this but don’t have the time. Really like th idea of it being a derelict Dark Angels ship too. :tu:

You still have it? Lucky you! All the cards and tokens? Those plastics control boards? :D

I added decals, dirt and Mars Dust. Will add some dirt and stains to the (Greenwing) Companies room and I hope to get the grating put down tonight. And then weather the grating.

med_gallery_63428_6841_457146.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_984292.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_671968.jpeg

For future boards:

Holes in the grating.

Hatched in the floor of rooms.

Stone floor and wooden floor.

Chains, spent ammo etc. on floor.

Missing tiles showing pipes and pistons and stuff underneath.

One room a cell. Room 42? 101?

Oh and I did get some patterned plasticard to use too :tu:

And this is what the next theee boards will be (based on):

gallery_63428_6841_1199.jpeg

gallery_63428_6841_2398.jpeg

gallery_63428_6841_15839.jpeg

I’ve now attached the grating (it’s plastic grating designed for gardening, so it doesn’t like paint or glue. Sprayed on undercoat sticks though and I’ll varnish the whole thing a lot in the end for protection) via the careful application of staples, superglue and copious amounts of foul language :D

And added the trim. I’ll be painting this Leadbelcher, then black where the room walls are, and marking out the doorways...then weathering the trim and grating. Typhus Corrosion, Ryza Rust, Agrax Earthshade, etc.

med_gallery_63428_6841_681814.jpeg

The first board is done. Not bad for a week’s work.

I went with yellow/red hazard stripes where the doors will be as I used black to mark where room walls are. The red looks lighter here than it actually is.

med_gallery_63428_6841_964864.jpeg

Greenwing room

med_gallery_63428_6841_264845.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_738827.jpeg

med_gallery_63428_6841_541602.jpeg

And a quick in-use shot :)

med_gallery_63428_6841_740308.jpeg

I’ll get on with the other boards once I’ve finished off some nearly-done noise marines. :)

I want to the the board with the engineering room next.

• 1 year later...

If I do return to the Space Crusade remake, it’ll be another restart, with 32mm (or even 40mm) squares. Let’s consider that one I did as ‘proof of concept’ :)

When I saw these interlocking hexagonal ‘display cases’ in the 100yen store today I immediately thought ‘terrain’:

med_gallery_63428_6758_442463.jpeg

So stuck a load of bitz and card on them - to keep ‘em cheap - and will give them a spray soon.

med_gallery_63428_6758_109337.jpeg

Some decals and weathering and we’ll see how they turn out. If they’re half decent then I’ll get 2 or 3 more.

Oh, they also stack vertically for tower-making. Could always make a larger deck-sheet to go between in order to have a walkway around an upper level...

• 2 weeks later...

If I do return to the Space Crusade remake, it’ll be another restart, with 32mm (or even 40mm) squares. Let’s consider that one I did as ‘proof of concept’ :smile.:

When I saw these interlocking hexagonal ‘display cases’ in the 100yen store today I immediately thought ‘terrain’:

med_gallery_63428_6758_442463.jpeg

So stuck a load of bitz and card on them - to keep ‘em cheap - and will give them a spray soon.

med_gallery_63428_6758_109337.jpeg

Some decals and weathering and we’ll see how they turn out. If they’re half decent then I’ll get 2 or 3 more.

Oh, they also stack vertically for tower-making. Could always make a larger deck-sheet to go between in order to have a walkway around an upper level...

Consider me inspired, I think I'll be looking for similar materials stateside for a project as well.