Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Grotsmasha's Dark Angels and Successors

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
77 replies to this topic

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
This will be the place where I'll post all things Dark Angels excluding my true scale stuff.

1st up, 25th Anniversary Consecrater Captain
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Just got to paint the backpack, pistol power cables annddd maayyybbeee attempt the chapter symbol on the right shoulder pad. Also, this is the first time....ever....that I've done highlights...and have left them on.

The rest of these guys are 'bigger' marines, all of them are still WIP

Captain and his command squad
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

and some random Sgts
Posted Image

and my attempt at a plastic Asmodai
Posted Image

All C&C is welcome, cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 03 October 2012 - 02:06 AM.

Polythemus

Polythemus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 866 posts
I think your painting is very clean. I also think that the models color choioce is very dark, and without any highlighting loses something in the photo. The models appear kind of flat as a result, try using some lighter shades of a similar color to add a little light sourcing and i think that they will look great!

Legion of Caliban check out my blog, for great Dark Angels content and comic battle reports!

Isiah

Isiah

++ VENATUS EXSECRATUS ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 12,473 posts
Some models are WIP so hence the lack of highlights ;).

Awesome sauce Grotsmasha that 25th Anniv model looks so cool. Eye lenses really pop.

gallery_4666_1311_36564.jpg

Keeper of the Dark Fortress

Armies: Deathwing and Grey Knights and a cheeky little Inquisitiorial detachment.
(I'd have more if my wife would let me)

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
.....is there any reason why I couldn't/shouldn't paint different coloured eye lenses within a squad? I was thinking I could do this to represent the marines using different viewing filters.

Cheers,
Jono

Wolf Priest Haelaeif

Wolf Priest Haelaeif

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 651 posts
I think different eye lenses is a cool idea. I do it on my sergeants anyway since my normal guys have red lenses and my sergeants have red helmets - so they get yellow lenses. I was considering trying the yellow lenses on normal marines, too.

Brother-Sergeant Bohemond

Brother-Sergeant Bohemond

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
I would say there is no reason not too do it, other than disunity within the squad. All I can suggest is you try it out and see what it looks like, if it detracts or adds to the overall look - or does neither. Then see what you like more.

And, before I forget, awesome looking anniversary model, I love what you have done with it, I really like the Consecrators

Tamwulf

Tamwulf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,409 posts
I don't see any problem with painting the lenses on your helmets different colors. I'd avoid some of the more unusual color combinations and maybe stick with reds, greens, and blues. Try and make them a bit darker to blend in with the green power armor. If they are wearing robes, you could probably get away with brighter colors. It depends on whether or not you want the eye lenses to be the focus of the model, in which case the brighter, more contrasting, the better.

A note about your painting: It's probably the lighting and camera, but your paint looks really thick. Do you thin it down with water at all? I'd recommend with GW paints (especially some of the newer GW base colors) at least 50% water/paint. Multiple thin layers of paint are way, way better then a single thick coat. Your metallics are the worst offenders. Have you tried any of the GW Washes? Err, GW renamed them Shades for some reason, but wash is a better descriptor even though you are shading the model. Anyways- wash your metallics with either GW Nuln Oil (old GW Badab Black) or GW Agras Earthshade (old GW Gryphon Sephia). For the Gold, shade them with GW Seraphim Sepia (old GW Gryphon Sepia). This stuff is pure talent in a bottle and the best thing GW has ever made. You can use the stuff straight out of the bottle, but I like to thin it down a bit, wash a layer on, let it dry, add another layer, etc. etc. until I get the shade or effect I'm going for. It takes a bit to dry, let it or you'll get some very interesting wet blending areas. Once dry, I go back over it to bring the highlights back. It dries very mat, so it will dull down your metallics a bit. Don't worry if it looks really dark when you brush it on, it dries very translucent unless you add a lot of layers or really goop it on. Thin layers are the key! Also, unlike an ink, this stuff doesn't flow into cracks and crevasses. You have to paint it where you want it.

Another good use of the Shades is to recolor your metalics. Like say you want a red sheen to your sword? Paint on a bright silver (GW Runefang Steel, P3 Steel, old GW Mithril Silver), then wash it with a thinned down old GW Baal Red or the new GW Carroburg Crimson. This will give it a very nice red sheen effect.

Incidentally, you can make your own washes/shades by using a high density pigment paint (like P3 or Reaper HD) and lots of mixing medium.

Uses washes/shades/glazes will take your painting to the next level and you will not be disappointed. Keep painting! :wacko:

Victory needs no explanation, defeat allows none.

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Hey guys,

@ Polythemus: I've highlighted one, just for you :P
Posted Image

@ Isiah and Brother Sergent Bohemond: Cheers !!!
@ Tamwolf: I do thin my paints....now, excluding the 25th Anv, these guys were painted a while back. I love washes/shades, just out of Bada......Nuln Oil now I guess.

And a newbie

Disciple of Caliban
Posted Image

cheers,
Jono

Polythemus

Polythemus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 866 posts
You sir are a gentleman and a hell of a good painter my hat is off and stuffed firmly in my mouth, nice work! I gotta say i really like the effect of metal on the backpack for the disciple of caliban and the lenses kick ass.

Edited by Polythemus, 21 April 2012 - 12:40 AM.

Legion of Caliban check out my blog, for great Dark Angels content and comic battle reports!

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
So, which pack would you like to see on the Anniversary Captain?

Right, or Left?
Posted Image

3rd option,
Posted Image
Cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 21 April 2012 - 05:47 AM.

EPK

EPK

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,991 posts
My vote is for option 3. It has that old school feel like option 2, but with more detail befitting a captain.

Of course there is a good argument for option 1 as well. The wings will definitely scream DA and help him stand out...

Okay, it's between option 1 and 3...

I think either would work well for a chaplain too. I'm gonna stick with 3, mostly because it's the old style that this 25th Ann. model is based on. Maybe you can put a DA icon on top?

Edited by EPK, 21 April 2012 - 03:39 PM.

Interrogator Stobz

Interrogator Stobz

++ VILICUS PISCARIAM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,002 posts
I'd go option 3 as well.

Put 'Cyphers' one on that epic version of Asmodai, for some extra gothicness goodness.

<_<
stobs

Be Pure, Be Vigilant, Behave.

gallery_48988_15465_19298.pngETL_2013_04_Primus_Inter_Pares.jpgImg_CH00_08Awards_02_LPC_2013B.gifImg_CH00_08Awards_05f_PtR_2012.gifETL_Medal_06.gifsml_gallery_48988_16045_3749.png

Stobz'z DAngles

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
I guess its time to throw up my ETL progress,

RED = Not Started/Base Coated
YELLOW = In Progress
GREEN = COMPLETE !!!!!

So I upgraded my original vow and now it reads,

“I, Grotsmasha, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete:

1 x Mortis pattern Contemptor Dreadnaught
=> 2 x Twin-Linked Lascannons
=> 1 x Cyclone Missile Launcher

1 x Supreme Grand Master Azrael

1 x Interrogator-Chaplain (Asmodai)
=>Plasma Pistol

Original Vow: 355/580 Complete

--------------------------
VOW EXTENSION 1

2 x Company Veterans Squads
=> 5 Veterans with twin Lightning Claws, Combat Shields and Meltabombs.
==> Razorback with Pintle Storm Bolter, Dozerblade, Extra Armour, Twin Linked Lascannons.

=> 5 Veterans with Power weapons, Storm Shields and Meltabombs.
==> Razorback with Pintle Storm Bolter, Dozerblade, Extra Armour, Twin Linked Lascannons.

Total Points Added: 785/785

VOW EXTENSION 2

I'm adding;

1x Company Master (GotC)
=> Storm Bolter, Plasma Pistol, Twin Lightning Claws, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

These next two *need to be painted as Fire Hawks for A Tale of 17 Gamers, so they might as well count here to

1x Interrogator-Chaplain
=>Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

1x Company Master
=> Plasma Pistol, Power Fist, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

Total Added Points: 500/500 Compete

TOTAL POINTS: 1640/1865 Complete

from Codex: Dark Angels on or before August 15, 2012. Success will bring eternal glory to the Sons of the Lion, and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.”

Ok, so here's the starting pics,

Posted Image

VOW EXTENSION 1

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
I don't have a pic of the 2nd razor as the turret is still to be built.

VOW EXTENSION 2

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
(I know he's not pictured with JP, but his packs are magnetized)

Completed Interrogator-Chaplain (Asmodai)

Posted Image

2x Completed Company Veterans

Posted Image

Cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 28 July 2012 - 03:11 AM.

DucAvieux

DucAvieux

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 22 posts
Those are some rear end kicking veterans! I love the MkIV armor with lightning claws!

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Another one bites the dust !!!!!!

1x Guardians of the Covenant Company Master
=> Storm Bolter, Plasma Pistol, Twin Lightning Claws, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

Posted Image

Cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 08 June 2012 - 11:15 AM.

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Although not a Dark Angel, my Fire Hawk Captain for the ETL has been completed, and can be seen HERE in my ETL thread in the WIP forum.

With a little bit of effort, the Contemptor should also be completed this evening.

Cheers,
Jono

Captain Semper

Captain Semper

++ PROVOCATOR NAVUS ++

• ++ CUSTODE ++
  • 16,584 posts
So, once you get the Mortis done, you'd still have Azzy and two 5-strong squads with their assorted razors, right? Your Company Vets look amazing btw! :D

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts

So, once you get the Mortis done, you'd still have Azzy and two 5-strong squads with their assorted razors, right? Your Company Vets look amazing btw! ;)

Yep, spot on. I've actually got a total of 4 finished vets, two from each squad, but have decided to put up pictures once the squads are done. For the first Razor, theres just highlights, turret and tracks to finish. Azzy has been undercoated at least.

Cheers,
Jono

elmo

elmo

++ SANGUINEUM MARIONETUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,006 posts
Nice vets :P

Now I want to see the group photo.

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Contemptor Done !!!!

Posted Image

TOTAL POINTS: 855/1865 Complete

Cheers,
Jono

Edited by Grotsmasha, 10 July 2012 - 10:11 PM.

Captain Semper

Captain Semper

++ PROVOCATOR NAVUS ++

• ++ CUSTODE ++
  • 16,584 posts
WOW!!! What a a Contemptor! The pose alone is so bada$$, it's like "Die heretic, die"... :)

Keep going Jono, you still have 1k points to go! ;)

Edited by Captain Semper, 11 July 2012 - 06:46 AM.

BigGumbo

BigGumbo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 408 posts
Love the Contemptor, brother! :lol:

Assault Cannon means not having to say you're sorry

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Cheers Captain Semper and BigGumbo!!!! The pic doesn't really show the colour contrast properly, the purple and blue stand out a bit more irl.

Cheers,
Jono

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
Ahhhhh Yeeaaaahhhh!!!!!

Lightning Claw Veteran Squad Complete, and with a little effort their Rhino will make it later today.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

with a little luck, I'll be right back with their Razor.

Cheers,
Jono

Grotsmasha

Grotsmasha

++ TORTOR PUMILI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,798 posts
.....and done, I present 1x Razorback.

Posted Image
Posted Image

TOTAL ETL POINTS COMPLETED: 1260/1865

Cheers,