Grotsmasha's Dark Angels and Successors

Grotsmasha

This will be the place where I'll post all things Dark Angels excluding my true scale stuff.

1st up, 25th Anniversary Consecrater Captain

gallery_48988_7152_400595.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_515670.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_560419.jpg

Just got to paint the backpack, pistol power cables annddd maayyybbeee attempt the chapter symbol on the right shoulder pad. Also, this is the first time....ever....that I've done highlights...and have left them on.

The rest of these guys are 'bigger' marines, all of them are still WIP

Captain and his command squad

gallery_48988_7152_119697.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_667713.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_937458.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_208687.jpg

and some random Sgts

gallery_48988_7152_117568.jpg

and my attempt at a plastic Asmodai

gallery_48988_7152_127167.jpg

All C&C is welcome, cheers,

Jono

I think your painting is very clean. I also think that the models color choioce is very dark, and without any highlighting loses something in the photo. The models appear kind of flat as a result, try using some lighter shades of a similar color to add a little light sourcing and i think that they will look great!

Some models are WIP so hence the lack of highlights ;).

Awesome sauce Grotsmasha that 25th Anniv model looks so cool. Eye lenses really pop.

I would say there is no reason not too do it, other than disunity within the squad. All I can suggest is you try it out and see what it looks like, if it detracts or adds to the overall look - or does neither. Then see what you like more.

And, before I forget, awesome looking anniversary model, I love what you have done with it, I really like the Consecrators

I don't see any problem with painting the lenses on your helmets different colors. I'd avoid some of the more unusual color combinations and maybe stick with reds, greens, and blues. Try and make them a bit darker to blend in with the green power armor. If they are wearing robes, you could probably get away with brighter colors. It depends on whether or not you want the eye lenses to be the focus of the model, in which case the brighter, more contrasting, the better.

A note about your painting: It's probably the lighting and camera, but your paint looks really thick. Do you thin it down with water at all? I'd recommend with GW paints (especially some of the newer GW base colors) at least 50% water/paint. Multiple thin layers of paint are way, way better then a single thick coat. Your metallics are the worst offenders. Have you tried any of the GW Washes? Err, GW renamed them Shades for some reason, but wash is a better descriptor even though you are shading the model. Anyways- wash your metallics with either GW Nuln Oil (old GW Badab Black) or GW Agras Earthshade (old GW Gryphon Sephia). For the Gold, shade them with GW Seraphim Sepia (old GW Gryphon Sepia). This stuff is pure talent in a bottle and the best thing GW has ever made. You can use the stuff straight out of the bottle, but I like to thin it down a bit, wash a layer on, let it dry, add another layer, etc. etc. until I get the shade or effect I'm going for. It takes a bit to dry, let it or you'll get some very interesting wet blending areas. Once dry, I go back over it to bring the highlights back. It dries very mat, so it will dull down your metallics a bit. Don't worry if it looks really dark when you brush it on, it dries very translucent unless you add a lot of layers or really goop it on. Thin layers are the key! Also, unlike an ink, this stuff doesn't flow into cracks and crevasses. You have to paint it where you want it.

Another good use of the Shades is to recolor your metalics. Like say you want a red sheen to your sword? Paint on a bright silver (GW Runefang Steel, P3 Steel, old GW Mithril Silver), then wash it with a thinned down old GW Baal Red or the new GW Carroburg Crimson. This will give it a very nice red sheen effect.

Incidentally, you can make your own washes/shades by using a high density pigment paint (like P3 or Reaper HD) and lots of mixing medium.

Uses washes/shades/glazes will take your painting to the next level and you will not be disappointed. Keep painting! :wacko:

Hey guys,

@ Polythemus: I've highlighted one, just for you :P

gallery_48988_7152_84065.jpg

@ Isiah and Brother Sergent Bohemond: Cheers !!!

@ Tamwolf: I do thin my paints....now, excluding the 25th Anv, these guys were painted a while back. I love washes/shades, just out of Bada......Nuln Oil now I guess.

And a newbie

Disciple of Caliban

gallery_48988_7152_859149.jpg

cheers,

Jono

You sir are a gentleman and a hell of a good painter my hat is off and stuffed firmly in my mouth, nice work! I gotta say i really like the effect of metal on the backpack for the disciple of caliban and the lenses kick ass.

My vote is for option 3. It has that old school feel like option 2, but with more detail befitting a captain.

Of course there is a good argument for option 1 as well. The wings will definitely scream DA and help him stand out...

Okay, it's between option 1 and 3...

I think either would work well for a chaplain too. I'm gonna stick with 3, mostly because it's the old style that this 25th Ann. model is based on. Maybe you can put a DA icon on top?

• 1 month later...

I guess its time to throw up my ETL progress,

RED = Not Started/Base Coated

YELLOW = In Progress

GREEN = COMPLETE !!!!!

So I upgraded my original vow and now it reads,

“I, Grotsmasha, answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete:

1 x Mortis pattern Contemptor Dreadnaught

=> 2 x Twin-Linked Lascannons

=> 1 x Cyclone Missile Launcher

1 x Supreme Grand Master Azrael

1 x Interrogator-Chaplain (Asmodai)

=>Plasma Pistol

Original Vow: 355/580 Complete

--------------------------

VOW EXTENSION 1

2 x Company Veterans Squads

=> 5 Veterans with twin Lightning Claws, Combat Shields and Meltabombs.

==> Razorback with Pintle Storm Bolter, Dozerblade, Extra Armour, Twin Linked Lascannons.

=> 5 Veterans with Power weapons, Storm Shields and Meltabombs.

==> Razorback with Pintle Storm Bolter, Dozerblade, Extra Armour, Twin Linked Lascannons.

Total Points Added: 785/785

VOW EXTENSION 2

I'm adding;

1x Company Master (GotC)

=> Storm Bolter, Plasma Pistol, Twin Lightning Claws, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

These next two *need to be painted as Fire Hawks for A Tale of 17 Gamers, so they might as well count here to

1x Interrogator-Chaplain

=>Plasma Pistol, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

1x Company Master

=> Plasma Pistol, Power Fist, Melta Bombs and Jump-pack

Total Added Points: 500/500 Compete

TOTAL POINTS: 1640/1865 Complete

from Codex: Dark Angels on or before August 15, 2012. Success will bring eternal glory to the Sons of the Lion, and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end.”

Ok, so here's the starting pics,

gallery_48988_7152_713443.jpg

VOW EXTENSION 1

gallery_48988_7152_646090.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_1149880.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_854984.jpg

I don't have a pic of the 2nd razor as the turret is still to be built.

VOW EXTENSION 2

gallery_48988_6285_1376258.jpg

gallery_48988_7173_1060267.jpg

gallery_48988_7173_197721.jpg

(I know he's not pictured with JP, but his packs are magnetized)

Completed Interrogator-Chaplain (Asmodai)

gallery_48988_7152_452695.jpg

2x Completed Company Veterans

gallery_48988_7152_966348.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

• 4 weeks later...

Although not a Dark Angel, my Fire Hawk Captain for the ETL has been completed, and can be seen HERE in my ETL thread in the WIP forum.

With a little bit of effort, the Contemptor should also be completed this evening.

Cheers,

Jono

So, once you get the Mortis done, you'd still have Azzy and two 5-strong squads with their assorted razors, right? Your Company Vets look amazing btw! ;)

Yep, spot on. I've actually got a total of 4 finished vets, two from each squad, but have decided to put up pictures once the squads are done. For the first Razor, theres just highlights, turret and tracks to finish. Azzy has been undercoated at least.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived