Grotsmasha's Dark Angels and Successors

Grotsmasha

Nice conversion and paint job but I have to be a little picky ;)

There is a spot of red on the front tyre...

And I know that it is the way the model is molded but the large joint line along the front tyre/mud guard stands out (has always been my pet hate on the bikes).

How easy would it be to fill (I ask as mine are due to turn up soon)?

You might have been better with a different colour for the robe inner (Dark blue robe inner/blue armour) maybe a deep red or even a hessian brown.

There seem to be a few skulls just black - is this meant to be like that or where they missed?

I don't mean to come over too hard with this :(

I know that a lot of the time the picture looks far worse than the actual model but we all need C&C to improve our game. ;)

Your conversions are really impressing me (do you mind if I steal this conversion idea for myself?) - and can't wait to see your next take on another figure.

Nice conversion and paint job but I have to be a little picky ;)

There is a spot of red on the front tyre...

Ahhhh the things you miss...I meant to highlight the tyre as well

And I know that it is the way the model is molded but the large joint line along the front tyre/mud guard stands out (has always been my pet hate on the bikes).

How easy would it be to fill (I ask as mine are due to turn up soon)?

That one was simple impatience on my part. I glued the Librarian in place before gluing the bike together. I know it's snap fit, but the best way to get rid of the try joins on the bikes to to add a little excessive glue so that it runs out of the join. Then once it's dry, scrape the join flush with the flat of a knife.

You might have been better with a different colour for the robe inner (Dark blue robe inner/blue armour) maybe a deep red or even a hessian brown.

That one is a bad-picture issue, the inner robe is actually purple. I'll hit again with the lighter shade.

There seem to be a few skulls just black - is this meant to be like that or where they missed?

Straight up, my bad. I'll get those when I fix the red on the tyre.

I don't mean to come over too hard with this :(

I know that a lot of the time the picture looks far worse than the actual model but we all need C&C to improve our game. ;)

Your conversions are really impressing me (do you mind if I steal this conversion idea for myself?) - and can't wait to see your next take on another figure.

No worries on the C&C, it's appreciated. Go for it on the conversion front, they're all fair game.

cheers,

Jono

Thankyou Cap!!!

Okie dokie, my first DW termi since 2nd ed. He's missing something, just can't quite pick it out....gallery_48988_7152_508379.jpg

and.....

Dark Vengeance Sgt conversion, which helm do you prefer?

gallery_48988_7152_766839.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_365014.jpg

both will be trimmed to sit a little lower.

Cheers,

Jono

Re: the Termie: He could do with some shading... Darken the metal bits with ink (Nuln Oil I think they call it nowadays) and pick up the studs with a dark metal too... The armour could also use some shading but I'm the last guy in the world to offer advice on white... :)

Re: the sergeant: The Mk4 definately does it! To me nothing says DAs more than Mk 4 - don't ask... :P Unfortunately the extended hand limits the options of how to pose the head - but no biggie - not a bad pose anyway!

I've put together my Termies too - boy they look fantastic! Expecially compared to the Tartaros... I kind of regret getting them in the first place, but it could be the effect of the new toys overshadowing everything. Still, in the immortal words of Charlie Sheen: new Termies? WIN! Tartaros? Lose!

It's nice and cleanly executed but the bone for most of his body (save around his feet and knees) is pretty much flat. Not nearly enough depth of shading there, I think, and the worst offender is his head - also a focal point.

Easy to fix though :) I like the blue eyes and the purity seals!

(also I'm a fan of darker Mechrite red bases for all DA red stuff.)

edit: partially ninaj'd by Semper, and didn't see the vet:

Also voting MkIV. especially with that pistol. the nuln will help the metals a bunch too.

Re: the Termie: He could do with some shading... Darken the metal bits with ink (Nuln Oil I think they call it nowadays) and pick up the studs with a dark metal too... The armour could also use some shading but I'm the last guy in the world to offer advice on white... :)

Will do on the studs, I'd say it's the flash, the metal has already been Nuln'd, twice. For the Bone, I think I got a little heavy-handed with the dry brush. I've a second one on the go, ill see what difference it makes.

Re: the sergeant: The Mk4 definately does it! To me nothing says DAs more than Mk 4 - don't ask... :P Unfortunately the extended hand limits the options of how to pose the head - but no biggie - not a bad pose anyway!

It's true about the pose, I did try a mkII and mkIII helms, but they seemed a little off somehow.

I've put together my Termies too - boy they look fantastic! Expecially compared to the Tartaros... I kind of regret getting them in the first place, but it could be the effect of the new toys overshadowing everything. Still, in the immortal words of Charlie Sheen: new Termies? WIN! Tartaros? Lose!

I'm still going to pick some up at some stage, but for true-scaling rather than to use a termis.

It's nice and cleanly executed but the bone for most of his body (save around his feet and knees) is pretty much flat. Not nearly enough depth of shading there, I think, and the worst offender is his head - also a focal point.

Easy to fix though :P I like the blue eyes and the purity seals!

(also I'm a fan of darker Mechrite red bases for all DA red stuff.)

edit: partially ninaj'd by Semper, and didn't see the vet:

Also voting MkIV. especially with that pistol. the nuln will help the metals a bunch too.

I'll hit the recess' with Sepia again, like above, I think I's a little heavy on the dry brush. The red is Mephiston Red Base, I don't where that is to the old range.

Cheers,

Jono

Soooo....remember this guy?

gallery_48988_7152_697848.jpg

even though he's made of left-overs, it bothered me that he wasn't looking where he was aiming. Having recently liberated Sgt Raphael of his head, I had the solution in hand....

gallery_48988_7152_401671.jpg

i know it looks a bit messy, but irl it's plenty smooth enough for cloth.

Whatcha'all think?

Cheers,

Jono

That torso looks fantastic transposed onto a standing body! Nicely done!

As for the Termie, I might hazard trying to go like... two steps darker? in the very recesses and then edge that up with the Sepia into the bleached bone. If Sepia is your dark, find something a step darker than that, make sepia the bottom-middle and possibly be a little more generous with it. then maybe mix up some bone + white for the very extreme highlights. I do mine very heavily drybrushed and go from something like Scorched Brown or a straight paint of the old Flesh Wash I still have straight to a very heavy drybrush of Bone with a generous helping of white on top of that. It comes out very high contrast, though that might not totally be what you're aiming for either :P

Really like the conversions you done with that set they look awesome especially that librarian, great job on that deathwing termy looks good maybe some edge highlights to bring the detail out abit but it looks really good for your first one since 2nd edition.

That torso looks fantastic transposed onto a standing body! Nicely done!

As for the Termie, I might hazard trying to go like... two steps darker? in the very recesses and then edge that up with the Sepia into the bleached bone. If Sepia is your dark, find something a step darker than that, make sepia the bottom-middle and possibly be a little more generous with it. then maybe mix up some bone + white for the very extreme highlights. I do mine very heavily drybrushed and go from something like Scorched Brown or a straight paint of the old Flesh Wash I still have straight to a very heavy drybrush of Bone with a generous helping of white on top of that. It comes out very high contrast, though that might not totally be what you're aiming for either ;)

Hey Dude, totally figured out what went wrong with the Termi. Firstly, I was too heavy on the dry-brush, secondly, I used the wrong (too light) colour for said heavy dry-brush.

May have to steal the plasma pistol guy for my command squad.

For the Terminator, I think you need to paint the "3rd eye" sensor on top the forehead.

Have at it dude, any conversion is fair game. I'll get to the sensor sometime after I strip and repaint him.

Brilliant sergeant conversions. I prefer the Mk4 helmet over the Mk7. The terminator has a lot of purity seals but nothing written on them...

The mkIV helm is my favourite of all armour mks, I'm not surprised it's got all the votes here too. As to the purity seals, honestly, they'll look messed up if I attempt it. Having just said that, If I'm gunna strip him and start again, why not get in some practice then?

+1 for Mk IV helmet!

Great kitbashes! Love the libby!

Cheers!!!! Thanks dude

Really like the conversions you done with that set they look awesome especially that librarian, great job on that deathwing termy looks good maybe some edge highlights to bring the detail out abit but it looks really good for your first one since 2nd edition.

Thanks man!!! As for the Termi, I'm more than satisfied for a TT quality, but my goal is to someday make some side cash with display pieces, I really need to be better.

Ok, here is a WIP of my 2nd DV Librarian in GotC colours,

gallery_48988_7152_787671.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_60937.jpg

gallery_48988_7152_984896.jpg

I'd like to add a little more to the hand, I was thinking a green, maybe Snot, or Scorpian? If I did that (It represents Warp energy), should I then find space for said green on the Force Weapon as well?

Hit me with your opinions guys, cheers,

Jono

He looks very promising Grotsmasha! I think you should consider painting the DA symbol on the front of the robe white.Other than that I'm all for the scrorpion green (a jade green sahde would be even better - mix blue and green?)

It's a very tidy job - look fwd to see it finished.

Looking good...

On the spell casting effect - I have seen somewhere a site that sells bullet/missile/spell effect bits but after 20 minutes of looking I can't find it again. :D

That would look good - If someone could help find the site. :mellow:

I'd like to add a little more to the hand, I was thinking a green, maybe Snot, or Scorpian? If I did that (It represents Warp energy), should I then find space for said green on the Force Weapon as well?

Jono

Other than that I'm all for the scrorpion green (a jade green sahde would be even better - mix blue and green?)
On the spell casting effect - I have seen somewhere a site that sells bullet/missile/spell effect bits but after 20 minutes of looking I can't find it again. :)

That would look good - If someone could help find the site. ;)

Jono, that Terminator is a very nice job, I'd echo the picking the studs out in a different color, but you already said you were running with that idea. Other than that, use a couple of lamps, a backdrop that isn't lighter than your bone color and no flash might help give a better impression of the color on your miniature. My guess (from your other work) is that it's a very nicely painted figure that doesnt deserve to be stripped.

I will echo the spell effect, it's something I've wanted to do with a librarian for a while now. Personally, rather than a generic blast effect, I would go with a shooting flaming skull emerging from that hand ala one of the below:

Librarian with Flaming Skull Effect

Sonnia Crid with Flaming Skull effect (I know it isn't power armor but I am hoping that stays there to illustrate the bit/figure you could cut up to get it)

I think that would make a pretty wicked looking Librarian, and you could paint it some with a blue to jade/turquoise to bright green blend in the following fashion: dark blue you used for the Librarian armor (wash recesses with Drakenhof Nightshade)-> Stegadon Scale Green (hit recesses with Coelia Greenshade) -> Sotek Green -> Temple Guard Blue -> 1:1 Temple Guard Blue:Moot Green -> Moot Green and paint the skull as a shaded green (Caliban to Warpstone to Moot) and then glaze the whole thing with Waywatcher Green to try and tie it all together.

Ok, take 2, Ravenwing Librarian Complete!!!!

Cheers,

Jono

That is one of the most, if not THE MOST, dynamic librarian model on a bike that I have ever seen in this forum. The way he leans and has his right arm out to unleash his psychic powers is excellent... made better by the crafty placement of the holstered bolter well within easy reach of his right arm.

Excellent work! Something I am sure to copy though not to your level of painting. The only minor ctiticism is thatwhile you've pulled off the blue on green very well, the purple inner garment colour is a little too much...but that is a very very small criticism in an otherwise brilliant model... get the base flocked man!!! :)

Looking good...

On the spell casting effect - I have seen somewhere a site that sells bullet/missile/spell effect bits but after 20 minutes of looking I can't find it again. :lol:

That would look good - If someone could help find the site. :(

The CINEMATIC EFFECTS SECTION OF ARMORCAST has a few choices... but don't do it.... Those effects never have the desired effect...and I've alwayys felt that the modelling of spells and gunflashes fixes a dynamic effect in a single pose.... much better to allow the onlooker to imaging the effect..your librarian is so dynamic the onlooker has no choice but to see pcychic flames or lightning emanating from his finers.... personally i thinkmodelling those effects spoil otherwise phenomenal models... B)

SG

He looks very promising Grotsmasha! I think you should consider painting the DA symbol on the front of the robe white.Other than that I'm all for the scrorpion green (a jade green sahde would be even better - mix blue and green?)

It's a very tidy job - look fwd to see it finished.

I've actually scraped off the symbol, and it was practically invisable to the naked eye, but the wash has really brought it out. If I decide to paint it, I'll probably go red, as that'd match the JP Master I did for the ETL.

Jono

Other than that I'm all for the scrorpion green (a jade green sahde would be even better - mix blue and green?)
On the spell casting effect - I have seen somewhere a site that sells bullet/missile/spell effect bits but after 20 minutes of looking I can't find it again. :lol:

That would look good - If someone could help find the site. :(

Jono, that Terminator is a very nice job, I'd echo the picking the studs out in a different color, but you already said you were running with that idea. Other than that, use a couple of lamps, a backdrop that isn't lighter than your bone color and no flash might help give a better impression of the color on your miniature. My guess (from your other work) is that it's a very nicely painted figure that doesnt deserve to be stripped.

Yeah it looks fine, but it definably lacks depth, and I prefer the creamy bone, rather than the white bone I've ended up with.

I will echo the spell effect, it's something I've wanted to do with a librarian for a while now. Personally, rather than a generic blast effect, I would go with a shooting flaming skull emerging from that hand ala one of the below:

Librarian with Flaming Skull Effect

Sonnia Crid with Flaming Skull effect (I know it isn't power armor but I am hoping that stays there to illustrate the bit/figure you could cut up to get it)

I think that would make a pretty wicked looking Librarian, and you could paint it some with a blue to jade/turquoise to bright green blend in the following fashion: dark blue you used for the Librarian armor (wash recesses with Drakenhof Nightshade)-> Stegadon Scale Green (hit recesses with Coelia Greenshade) -> Sotek Green -> Temple Guard Blue -> 1:1 Temple Guard Blue:Moot Green -> Moot Green and paint the skull as a shaded green (Caliban to Warpstone to Moot) and then glaze the whole thing with Waywatcher Green to try and tie it all together.

Those Flaming Skulls are pretty awesome!!! I was thinking of picking up those special Templates from GW with blue lightning, trying to use those some how.

That is one of the most, if not THE MOST, dynamic librarian model on a bike that I have ever seen in this forum. The way he leans and has his right arm out to unleash his psychic powers is excellent... made better by the crafty placement of the holstered bolter well within easy reach of his right arm.

Excellent work! Something I am sure to copy though not to your level of painting. The only minor ctiticism is thatwhile you've pulled off the blue on green very well, the purple inner garment colour is a little too much...but that is a very very small criticism in an otherwise brilliant model... get the base flocked man!!! :)

Thankyou, I was a little surprised by how easily it went together and the end result being, so.....right, for lack of a better word.

The CINEMATIC EFFECTS SECTION OF ARMORCAST has a few choices... but don't do it.... Those effects never have the desired effect...and I've alwayys felt that the modelling of spells and gunflashes fixes a dynamic effect in a single pose.... much better to allow the onlooker to imaging the effect..your librarian is so dynamic the onlooker has no choice but to see pcychic flames or lightning emanating from his finers.... personally i thinkmodelling those effects spoil otherwise phenomenal models... :lol:

SG

I have previously seen the Armourcast stuff and really do like some of the stuff they have there, but I'm with you on this one, I much prefer to see them on dioramas, as it suits the "snapshot of the action" much better.

Alrighty then, this is a WIP of the next Termi, using the correct colours this time, it's much closer to my 2nd Ed. Termi's and the colour I was hoping to achieve

gallery_48988_7152_288584.jpg

Cheers,

Jono

• 3 weeks later...

Archived