The Dornian Heresy - IA: Salamanders (Under Development)

Aurelius Rex

Bad Burns is one thing, a 12 foot muscular giant with enough burnt flesh to make a chargill chicken look pale is another. im amazed the people of nocturn had the courage to shackle him in the first place.

He was jumped by the village blacksmith.

When you're a blacksmith you swing a big hammer all day.

When you swing a big hammer all day you get like crazy hard.

When you're crazy hard giants that wander into your village get blasted.

With your big hammer. Hard. Crazy hard.

But hes a Primarch, hammer or not no way a normal man could take him down.

Did you not read what I typed. Blacksmith. Hard. Crazy hard. Big Hammer.

All joking aside primarch our no in that situation Vulkan just wanted to be with other people. He didn't know why, he didn't understand his need to be around humans. And he didn't know being smacked with a big hammer and chained up is not how people should treat guests. Vulkan just wanted some company and if being a prisoner was part of the deal then obviously he was okay with that at some point because he didn't kill the entire bunch.

Way to enjoy a joke by the way. Why does everyone have to take their fiction so seriously? Don't answer that, its rhetorical!

I was under the impression a joke had to be funny to be enjoyed ;D haha, sorry I suck I know ;)

Just doesnt seem right to me is all. Unless that blacksmiths last name was Graymane :P

I for one have always had a soft spot for "what if stories"

The whole amount of work put in the Dornian heresy posts is remarkable. I especially like how the things are put together. It`s not just some"Lokk I painted Dorn black". someone put some serious thought in the project.

On to this post. I always found the Salamanders a bit stale but in this ´Verse I can see Vulkan and his genesons becoming bitter, angry and broken. I am currently imagining them as a cross between the original iron Warriors and the Night Lords in draconic imagery ( Hmmm maybe here is a force to put in that dragon thingy supposed for the 6th? ;) .

Some Astartes just like to see the world burn,,,,

Also looking forward to these "lesser" chaos patrons defined further since the major chaos powers already have their signature legions..

Some Astartes just like to see the world burn,,,,

Dammit; I already have plans to paint my Dark Elves in green, purple, and black with terrifying facial scars and red make-up. Now I might have to do the same to some Salamanders...

Bad Burns is one thing, a 12 foot muscular giant with enough burnt flesh to make a chargill chicken look pale is another. im amazed the people of nocturn had the courage to shackle him in the first place.

All joking aside primarch our no in that situation Vulkan just wanted to be with other people. He didn't know why, he didn't understand his need to be around humans. And he didn't know being smacked with a big hammer and chained up is not how people should treat guests. Vulkan just wanted some company and if being a prisoner was part of the deal then obviously he was okay with that at some point because he didn't kill the entire bunch.

Way to enjoy a joke by the way. Why does everyone have to take their fiction so seriously? Don't answer that, its rhetorical!

I was under the impression a joke had to be funny to be enjoyed ;D haha, sorry I suck I know :P

Just doesnt seem right to me is all. Unless that blacksmiths last name was Graymane ;)

Just accept the fact that Vulkan ALLOWED himself to be taken and held. Period.

And you have to have a sense of humor to be able to determine "funny".

Just doesnt seem right to me is all. Unless that blacksmiths last name was Graymane :P

It isn't as if we have a fully grown, armored Primarch here. What we have is a very young, very curious and open, very weak and injured Primarch.

Eek - taken longer than I anticipated but here is the next part of the origins, including a colourpiece about how the Imperium found our hero.

As to the feedback, many thanks, especially to the detailed critique from the ever-reliable and knowledgeable Culebras. I've not got to incorporate the feedback yet, but I will be going back to it as soon as I get a chance. On the thorny subject of rendering a primarch unconscious - even with a massive lump-hammer - I can see the point... how about it instead stunned him and allowed them to get him chained up... even if he could have broken free if he had wanted to.

Anyway, on with part 2 of the Origins section.

+++

Vulkan remained in the forge for a year, watching how the blacksmith crafted items of great artifice, and he might have stayed fettered longer had it not been for a raid by Eldar slavers. At the first sign of attack the villagers gathered their children and hid, but if any thought at all was given to Vulkan, it was as a sacrificial lamb that might distract the raiders from a more thorough search. However, when the villagers eventually emerged from hiding they found Vulkan standing proudly amidst scores of broken Eldar bodies. Without a word he dropped the bloodied blacksmith’s hammers he had used to such brutal effect, and pointedly wrenched off what remained of his restraints as though they had been made of wet paper.

Vulkan had hoped that by saving their lives he would be welcomed into their society, but in revealing his true, terrible potential it seemed that an even greater wedge had been driven between them. The superficial respect with which he was treated was brittle and edged with suspicion, as though he was an unstable explosive that had to be treated with extreme care. Even at the feast held in honour of his victory he could sense their fear. Despite all attempts to communicate with them, to explain that he was their protector and that he would not hurt them, it seemed that Vulkan was unable to wipe the image of his butchery from their minds.

With each passing month the population of the village dwindled as families left for other settlements across the wastes, until at last Vulkan bitterly accepted the inevitable, and headed out into the wilderness himself. For many decades Vulkan journeyed across Nocturne, from its mist-shrouded mountains to its storm-tossed shores and beyond. In that time the only places in which he did not set foot were the human settlements, even when he saw that the Eldar had returned to raid and plunder.

The coming of the Imperium to Nocturne did not go unnoticed by Vulkan, although he could not have guessed their reason for doing so. With practised ease Vulkan evaded the search parties through the broken terrain, but knew that he was being driven ever-upwards. There, at the very summit of Mount Deathfire, the truth of his lineage was finally revealed.

Colourpiece 1:

Vulkan brought up his other hand and probed beneath the layers of ash for a firm grip on the rock lip beneath. Through the clouds of loose dust he could just make out the purple armoured warrior standing over him on the outcrop above, doubtless waiting for him to slip, or poised ready to kick him off into the seething lava far below if he attempted to climb back up. With a sickening lurch Vulkan felt the whole outcrop shift, to give under his weight, and even as he pitched off into the abyss saw a sneer of triumph pass across the warrior’s bloodied face. Then, in a blur of burnished gold an armoured gauntlet closed around his flailing wrist, and the second warrior that had stalked him, the one in the shining armour, pulled him up and away from the ledge and led him to safety.

‘You should have let it fall,’ said the first, his voice dripping with disdain. ‘That pathetic wretch is no primarch.’

‘Look at the eyes, Fulgrim. Can you seriously doubt that this is the Primarch of the 18th Legion?’ said the other, breaking the seal on his golden helm to reveal a stern, noble face and a striking head of short-cropped, ash-white hair. ‘Greetings, my brother, my name is Rogal Dorn, and I have been sent to reunite you with your father, the Emperor of All Mankind.’

how about it instead stunned him and allowed them to get him chained up... even if he could have broken free if he had wanted to.

That should do it :P

I like the colour piece, especially as it's Dorn who extends his hand to Vulkan (metaphorically and literally). Whilst I can certainly understand Vulkan's reluctance to help the Humans later on in the piece, I'm not certain that he would totally abandon them. I figure that he'd attack the (Dark?) Eldar, even if it was catharsis for being held a prisoner/slave himself.

For one it goes agaisnt the creator and character.

"What if's" can be interesting, but IMHO, tiem is better spent creating new characters and settings.

Meh. The last "creator" to do some truly original stuff was William Shakespeare, everybody since then has either ripped off him or ripped off the Bible.

I'd much rather read an interesting Vulkan the Burner of Worlds than another "original" Emperor's Dragons With Skull Heads DIY Chapter.

Re: Salamanders vs Nocturne natives

I always thought of the crimson optics as part of Vulkan's gene seed, the way the Night Lords get black eyes and the Raven Guard don't tan. Vulkan being a living obsidian statute is okay (Lorgar and the Emperor are gold skinned, so why not) but having all the inhabitants of Noctrune be onyx mutants instead of just folks with more melanin than my Caucaszoid self seemed a bit...off.

Alternatively, if Noctrune IS a world of obsidian skin and irises incardine, Alt Verse Vulkan must be REALLY FREAKING SCARY LOOKING to provoke the reaction he got.

how about it instead stunned him and allowed them to get him chained up... even if he could have broken free if he had wanted to.

That should do it :)

I like the colour piece, especially as it's Dorn who extends his hand to Vulkan (metaphorically and literally). Whilst I can certainly understand Vulkan's reluctance to help the Humans later on in the piece, I'm not certain that he would totally abandon them. I figure that he'd attack the (Dark?) Eldar, even if it was catharsis for being held a prisoner/slave himself.

I think if you are going to have him abandon the humans at least give his reasoning on it. It would be an important window into his character and mental state.

I was under the impression a joke had to be funny to be enjoyed ;D haha, sorry I suck I know :)

Just doesnt seem right to me is all. Unless that blacksmiths last name was Graymane ;)

Just accept the fact that Vulkan ALLOWED himself to be taken and held. Period.

And you have to have a sense of humor to be able to determine "funny".

I do accept the fact a a Vulkan would let himself be taken. Thats not my point ;)

My point is a human could not knock him out suprise hammer or not.

And I'm sorry you were not issued with one at birth, humor is an amazing thing, not that you'll ever know :)

That should do it <_<

I think if you are going to have him abandon the humans at least give his reasoning on it. It would be an important window into his character and mental state.

Agreed.

I do accept the fact a a Vulkan would let himself be taken. Thats not my point :lol:

My point is a human could not knock him out suprise hammer or not.

And I'm sorry you were not issued with one at birth, humor is an amazing thing, not that you'll ever know :)

Maybe he wasn't knocked out maybe he was playing possum because he wanted to play with the other kids.

Canon Angron got captured by normal humans and then had all kinds of make you coo-coo devices shoved in his brain against his will, again by normal humans. Primarch does not automatically equal "instant win against everything".

For one it goes agaisnt the creator and character.

"What if's" can be interesting, but IMHO, tiem is better spent creating new characters and settings.

Meh. The last "creator" to do some truly original stuff was William Shakespeare, everybody since then has either ripped off him or ripped off the Bible.

I'd much rather read an interesting Vulkan the Burner of Worlds than another "original" Emperor's Dragons With Skull Heads DIY Chapter.

Except I'm not talking about creativity or plagiarism, but rather the authors intent and creation.

Changing the authors character is in a way, a show of disrespect.

It isn't as if we have a fully grown, armored Primarch here. What we have is a very young, very curious and open, very weak and injured Primarch.

This reason to me is fine :sweat:

Sorry didnt mean to spark of a debate.

Whatever you make will be great :lol:

Except I'm not talking about creativity or plagiarism, but rather the authors intent and creation.

Changing the authors character is in a way, a show of disrespect.

With all due respect: That's a very outdate reasoning when it comes to litterature, and I don't think you'll find many authors who agree :huh:

The work of an author is only meaningful when engaged by the reader's conscious and unconscious interpretations, and since the author is rarely in a position to explain his or her intent to the reader that doesn't really factor into the equation.

Besides, reusing other author's character (if an author can even call a character his own) has been done since the start of litterary history.

It is more a sign of respect, than the opposite.

I for one cannot wait to see how the DH-Salamanders turn out!

Cheers :)

Writing has been like walking through treacle this last week, but have got the next portion out - the end of the origins section and the start of the Great Crusade.

Many thanks for the feedback - it has highlighted things that I wasn't aware of as well as picking me up on the things I really should have dealt with, such as reinforcing his motivation for getting so annoyed at the villagers. I will be going back and clarifying / expanding the second section so that it says that he continued to fight off the Eldar even while in his self-imposed wilderness walk, but when he came into the villages afterwards / later they hid from him in the same way they did to the Eldar during the raids, showing that whatever he does they don't trust him. Question... am thinking I need to reinforce why they fear him so even beyond his monstrous appearance... perhaps during the initial fight he accidentally kills some villagers, either through fires he starts or by things getting smashed up and collapsing onto the hiding people? Any thoughts?

@TrashMan - I understand your position, but respectfully disagree with it. There is certainly no disrespect intended in this project, and indeed it is a mark of how much I like and respect the 40K background that I have wanted to put the time and effort into honouring it with a mirror image. It is intended in the mould of such authors of alternate timeline fiction such as Kim Newman, Alan Moore et al that have a great affection for the source material.

Anyway, Game of thrones is on now... so catch you later! ;)

Regards,

Aurelius.

+++

All of his life Vulkan had yearned for the acceptance and kinship of his peers, and with the arrival of the Imperium it seemed that he was at last being granted his wish. Not only did he have a family – his father, the ruler of the galaxy and his brothers, the primarchs – but also a whole army of gene-sons awaiting his command in the form of the 18th Legion of the Astartes.

While all of the legions had good reason to celebrate the finding of their primarchs, the newly renamed Salamanders had particular cause. In his absence, their unnerving blood-red eyes had been taken as a sign of weakness in the gene-seed, and even a mark of the malefic by the superstitious. When Vulkan was at last found it became clear that these quirks were merely a part of his genetic legacy, such as the enhanced canine growth in the Russ line or Curze’s greatly enlarged pupils, but even this could not completely dispel the suspicion with which their appearance was beheld.

The Great Crusade

Upon returning with his legion from being presented to the Emperor on the nearby world of Gorthan-Liess, Vulkan surprised all by decreeing that their Fortress-Monastery would be built upon Nocturne’s moon of Prometheus rather than on his homeworld itself. Though he claimed that it was due to the dangerously unstable nature of the planet, it soon became clear that he felt nothing but contempt for the world that that had brought him such pain, and the people that had turned their back on him, despite how he fought and bled for them.

Even while the Fortress-Monastery was being constructed and Vulkan learned of the many facets of the Imperium and its enemies, the Salamanders were called to war. What was intended by Imperial strategists as a simple defence of a system threatened by an ork fleet turned into a thorough blooding, as the Salamanders, eager to show their capabilities, tracked the xenos raiders back to their home-worlds beyond the borders of Imperial space.

Over the course of that first protracted campaign Vulkan shaped his legion’s aggressive, straightforward fighting style. Operating so far from Imperial space stretched their supply lines, but decades spent in the volcanic wastes of Nocturne had turned Vulkan into a master of self-reliance. Though the more advanced weaponry still had its place, he taught the Salamanders the simple pleasures of fire, of using smoke to obscure their advance, and the destruction that could be wrought by a simple warhammer. Committed to waging total war, the Salamanders systematically exterminated every ork and purged their worlds with flame to ensure that they would never again be able to pose a threat to the Imperium.

Writing has been like walking through treacle this last week, but have got the next portion out - the end of the origins section and the start of the Great Crusade.

Many thanks for the feedback - it has highlighted things that I wasn't aware of as well as picking me up on the things I really should have dealt with, such as reinforcing his motivation for getting so annoyed at the villagers. I will be going back and clarifying / expanding the second section so that it says that he continued to fight off the Eldar even while in his self-imposed wilderness walk, but when he came into the villages afterwards / later they hid from him in the same way they did to the Eldar during the raids, showing that whatever he does they don't trust him. Question... am thinking I need to reinforce why they fear him so even beyond his monstrous appearance... perhaps during the initial fight he accidentally kills some villagers, either through fires he starts or by things getting smashed up and collapsing onto the hiding people? Any thoughts?

@TrashMan - I understand your position, but respectfully disagree with it. There is certainly no disrespect intended in this project, and indeed it is a mark of how much I like and respect the 40K background that I have wanted to put the time and effort into honouring it with a mirror image. It is intended in the mould of such authors of alternate timeline fiction such as Kim Newman, Alan Moore et al that have a great affection for the source material.

Anyway, Game of thrones is on now... so catch you later! :)

Regards,

Aurelius.

+++

All of his life Vulkan had yearned for the acceptance and kinship of his peers, and with the arrival of the Imperium it seemed that he was at last being granted his wish. Not only did he have a family – his father, the ruler of the galaxy and his brothers, the primarchs – but also a whole army of gene-sons awaiting his command in the form of the 18th Legion of the Astartes.

While all of the legions had good reason to celebrate the finding of their primarchs, the newly renamed Salamanders had particular cause. In his absence, their unnerving blood-red eyes had been taken as a sign of weakness in the gene-seed, and even a mark of the malefic by the superstitious. When Vulkan was at last found it became clear that these quirks were merely a part of his genetic legacy, such as the enhanced canine growth in the Russ line or Curze’s greatly enlarged pupils, but even this could not completely dispel the suspicion with which their appearance was beheld.

The Great Crusade

Upon returning with his legion from being presented to the Emperor on the nearby world of Gorthan-Liess, Vulkan surprised all by decreeing that their Fortress-Monastery would be built upon Nocturne’s moon of Prometheus rather than on his homeworld itself. Though he claimed that it was due to the dangerously unstable nature of the planet, it soon became clear that he felt nothing but contempt for the world that that had brought him such pain, and the people that had turned their back on him, despite how he fought and bled for them.

Even while the Fortress-Monastery was being constructed and Vulkan learned of the many facets of the Imperium and its enemies, the Salamanders were called to war. What was intended by Imperial strategists as a simple defence of a system threatened by an ork fleet turned into a thorough blooding, as the Salamanders, eager to show their capabilities, tracked the xenos raiders back to their home-worlds beyond the borders of Imperial space.

Over the course of that first protracted campaign Vulkan shaped his legion’s aggressive, straightforward fighting style. Operating so far from Imperial space stretched their supply lines, but decades spent in the volcanic wastes of Nocturne had turned Vulkan into a master of self-reliance. Though the more advanced weaponry still had its place, he taught the Salamanders the simple pleasures of fire, of using smoke to obscure their advance, and the destruction that could be wrought by a simple warhammer. Committed to waging total war, the Salamanders systematically exterminated every ork and purged their worlds with flame to ensure that they would never again be able to pose a threat to the Imperium.

Perhaps Vulkan , with no one to teach him to make difference between good and evil, so his first battle versus the Dark Eldar was very bloody , and so afraid the villagers ?

Anyway, Game of thrones is on now... so catch you later! :)

Regards,

Aurelius.

+++

The Great Crusade

Anyway, Game of thrones is on now... so catch you later! :P

Regards,

Aurelius.

+++

The Great Crusade

After reading through the Dark Elder Codex I would think that any fight between DE and a Primarch would be scary as hell for already wimpy villagers.

I have to agree, just the idea of a Primarch fighting Dark Eldar with his bare fists is enough to frighten the villagers. If you want something more, some detail to reveal as the cause, maybe add collateral damage? Not that he killed, or even hurt, other villagers, but perhaps their 'stuff?' Vulkan is a wildling in this version. Raised himself in the volcanic wastes, and after the first struggle returns to the wilds. So to him, possessions might not mean anything. Everything is transitory, fleeting. You use something until it breaks, then you get something else. You shelter here for a night, then you leave for another shelter. So to Vulkan, things like houses, statues, et cetera, the physical structures of the village, are unimportant to his way of thinking. So as he wars against the Dark Eldar, he doesn't try at all to save these things, and destroys them when they're in his way. He simply doesn't understand its importance to the people he's trying to protect, because he has never experienced anything like it to relate it to. So following the raid, the villagers don't see someone trying to save them, they see something equally monstrous who just happened to be fighting the other monsters. They can't be sure he's a savior, as he acts more like a destroyer.

That'd be my thoughts on the matter. If you like it, feel free to use it (and I would be disproportionately pleased if you did). If not, hopefully it helped in some way.

Archived