The Dornian Heresy - IA: Salamanders (Under Development)

Aurelius Rex

I've been debating whether or not to write the Dornian Heresy Death Guard for some time now. Maybe I'll get off my writer's block and get on that. While the Salamanders are my favourite of the Legions, I was never any good at making Chaos legion writeups.

I got mixed feelings about this... I'd really appreciate, if someone could squeeze some relevant info from a mod, or two, before we go tempering with stuff we shouldn't ermm.gif

We have no knowledge of Aurelius or what he's up to, but it's far and away more likely that he left the site for whatever personal reason than that anything is wrong with him. As far as the IAs go, unless you had some kind of agreement amongst you, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to begin new ones.

If we hear anything, you all will be kept in the loop.

I've been debating whether or not to write the Dornian Heresy Death Guard for some time now. Maybe I'll get off my writer's block and get on that. While the Salamanders are my favourite of the Legions, I was never any good at making Chaos legion writeups.

I got mixed feelings about this... I'd really appreciate, if someone could squeeze some relevant info from a mod, or two, before we go tempering with stuff we shouldn't ermm.gif

We have no knowledge of Aurelius or what he's up to, but it's far and away more likely that he left the site for whatever personal reason than that anything is wrong with him. As far as the IAs go, unless you had some kind of agreement amongst you, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to begin new ones.

If we hear anything, you all will be kept in the loop.

Thanks for the go-ahead Messor. I want to take the time and finish this right, by sticking to Aurelius's vision by following whatever hints he's given us. However there are three things that could hamper success:

1) I'm a newb on this forum - I'm not sure on how things really work. There are people far more familiar with the accepted processes around here than I

2) Limited experience with Chaos - As I've mentioned before I'm far better at writing for loyalists than traitors.

3) Lack of production experience - I have no idea who did the art for the first compilation of Dornian Heresy Legions, but I'd like the final compilation to be of similar quality. I'll worry about this one later.

That said I have stated my desire to do the Death Guard, and I'll continue on to do the Sons of Horus/Black Templars, I would like some assistance in writing the Salamanders and Imperial Fists/Black Legion if someone feels up to the challenge.

Either way if anyone wants to contribute ideas/volunteer to assist me in this, please send me a message and we can go from there.

While technically I suppose you *can* do this, I suspect there are a lot of people who won't want you to.  Including, quite possibly, Aurelius Rex himself. 

I dunno.  It hasn't even been a year since he last posted here.  That's nothing in "writing Internet fiction time".  I think co-opting his work is a bit premature. 

I'd like to second, perhaps unnecessarily, what Octavulg put there. For myself, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of anyone other than Aurelius, or someone appointed by Aurelius, continuing the Dornian Heresy. Writing some fanfiction within the Dornian Heresy, like what we do with our DIYs within the canon universe, is one thing. I'd be all for that, if it limits itself to what Aurelius has already provided. Anything more would be too much, especially from the viewpoint of this fan.

I'm as frustrated as anybody that the Dornian Heresy has suddenly gone into dry run. It's the best alternate Heresy I've ever read and the one that inspired me to get involved with a similar project. But the Dornian Heresy isn't mine or anyone else's but Aurelius. It's his to continue and it's his to discontinue or hand off. And if he disappears, leaving the Heresy hanging, well. That's his decision, too. Even if that disappearance continues indefinitely. I certainly hope not but that might just be the way it is.

I trust that there are perfectly valid reasons behind his disappearance and I hope that whatever conflicts separate him from the continuation of this project can be resolved shortly, but I am content with what he has already provided us and I can understand if he never does continue. 

I'd like to second, perhaps unnecessarily, what Octavulg put there. For myself, I wouldn't be comfortable with the idea of anyone other than Aurelius, or someone appointed by Aurelius, continuing the Dornian Heresy. Writing some fanfiction within the Dornian Heresy, like what we do with our DIYs within the canon universe, is one thing. I'd be all for that, if it limits itself to what Aurelius has already provided. Anything more would be too much, especially from the viewpoint of this fan.

I'm as frustrated as anybody that the Dornian Heresy has suddenly gone into dry run. It's the best alternate Heresy I've ever read and the one that inspired me to get involved with a similar project. But the Dornian Heresy isn't mine or anyone else's but Aurelius. It's his to continue and it's his to discontinue or hand off. And if he disappears, leaving the Heresy hanging, well. That's his decision, too. Even if that disappearance continues indefinitely. I certainly hope not but that might just be the way it is.

I trust that there are perfectly valid reasons behind his disappearance and I hope that whatever conflicts separate him from the continuation of this project can be resolved shortly, but I am content with what he has already provided us and I can understand if he never does continue.

I support this, little fan stories in the already-established DH fluff sounds cool (maybe even a lodge-inspired DH-version of the Liber?) but leave the IA's to Aurelius (if he returns) or someone he appoints as the new writer.

Till then, I shall maintain this long vigil.

(maybe even a lodge-inspired DH-version of the Liber?)

You, my friend, have come up with a very, very good idea.  The success of "This is Liber Astartes", whilst enormous has kind of written itself into the corner.  Perhaps a new topic could be started, and have fun with that whilst we await news of Brother A-Rex ^_^

Did you want to start a new topic for that, or shall I? ;)

(maybe even a lodge-inspired DH-version of the Liber?)

You, my friend, have come up with a very, very good idea. The success of "This is Liber Astartes", whilst enormous has kind of written itself into the corner. Perhaps a new topic could be started, and have fun with that whilst we await news of Brother A-Rex ^_^

Did you want to start a new topic for that, or shall I? ;)

You flatter me brother, but I'll leave that honour to your more experienced hands. :)

I support this, little fan stories in the already-established DH fluff sounds cool (maybe even a lodge-inspired DH-version of the Liber?) but leave the IA's to Aurelius (if he returns) or someone he appoints as the new writer.

It's a great idea! In the main DH thread I suggested this once, and it got quite an attention, but we could't agree on the ground rules, or something, so we just put it on ice. I think it's time to make it happen, so count me in (I already have 2 DH short stories in the making, but I need serious evaluation, due to my terrible writing skills in english...) cool.png

• 4 months later...

I'll go ahead and chime in with what's undoubtedly going to be an unpopular opinion. A-Rex has had more than enough time to post his reasons for not continuing, his choice of successor to continue the work or ANYTHING about his status. The fact that he hasn't shows that right now, he doesn't care. There is no copyright, and no real legal repercussions since no one is making money off this, so anyone who wants to would be well within their rights to pick up where Aurelius left off and move forward.

Like I said, I doubt this will be a popular opinion, but it beats waiting for the original artist to give a damn again and start working. Hopefully, it won't take a turn for the worse like the Dune series under Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson.

Sometimes things don't get finished. Doesn't mean you're the one to finish them. As is so often the case, the fact that you can do something doesn't mean you should.

If I recall, Aurelius mentioned the last time he was here that he had a lot to deal with. Yes, it's been a long time, but insinuating that "he doesn't give a damn" is insulting. He's put a lot into this project, and I hardly think he'd just abandon it for little or no reason.

It doesn't mean that others can't start a similar project of their own:) but I feel that this topic should be left alone.

Yes, Zweihander, unless you have some kind of insight into Aurelius' situation that the rest of us do not, it is unfair of you to make any judgement one way or another. Additionally, even if it were the case that Aurelius simply got bored and left, he would be well within his right to do so. Regardless of how much of a following the project has, he is under no obligation to anyone to complete it, as it is his. If you are deeply invested in seeing such a project completed, then, as Aquilanus, you are encouraged to undertake one of your own.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived