Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Global Campaign

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
290 replies to this topic

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
I've done some research, and the Age of Apostasy sounds interesting. Mad Lord Vandire offs the Ecclisiarch, and declares himself Ecclisiarch in his place. Over a period of time, he carves a bloody swath through the Imperium. So, against the backdrop of this, I've come up with an interesting scenario.

Seeing an opportunity, and one that has not been presented for a while, the Forces of Chaos begin taking as many worlds as they can, from Human and Xeno alike. Chaos strives to take as many worlds as possible, and drive a spearhead toward Holy Terra, which would obviously be full of confusion and disarry, due to Vandire's antics. The Loyalists would be doing what they could to capture and fortify as many worlds as possible, taking them from Xeno's and Human, by force if nessecary, in a desperate and confused defensive against the ravenous hoard of Chaos. This fits nicely with the fluff, as many Chapters were delayed in stopping Vandire, but no reason is given.

In this scenario, I, and anyone interested in helping me, would get a headcount, and decide how many worlds around Terra would be threatened. Obviously, it would not be a massive number, but something more mangageable. I'm currently thinking something along the lines of five major planets surrounding Terra. Each one would have battle reports submitted for it, with each victory worth a point. Renegades would count for whatever side the armies owner wanted, as would DIY. If at the end of the Campaign, the Loyalists hold the majority of worlds, then the Age of Apostasy continues as normal, with Sebastian Thor killing Vandire. If Chaos holds the majority, then Terra is taken by the combined forces of Chaos, and a reign of blood and slaughter commences and the galaxy falls into ruin.

Thoughts?

Also, anyone who wanted to help write fluff, or manage the technical portion of this shindig, PM me please, with what you want to do.

Edited by Grey Knight Purifier, 10 May 2012 - 02:07 AM.

For Sigismund! For Dorn! For The Emperor!

The Apokrypha Crusade, My Black Templar Crusade

Grimbad

Grimbad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts
Space Marines remained notably neutral in the age of apostasy, with a very few exceptions (Fire Hawks, Black Templars, Soul Drinkers) declaring against Vandire. Most chose to patrol their own local space because the warp was too unstable for long journeys and there were aliens everywhere taking advantage of the anarchy.
Not an ideal time to set a big combined crusade.

How about when 800-something Chapter Masters made pilgrimages to Gathalamor to reaffirm their oaths of loyalty at the start of M41? Any planet is a long ways from most other planets in the galaxy. Assuming Space Marines are distributed even a little bit evenly, most of those Chapter Masters would have a long journey back. With lots of peril and adventure, of course.
Which would work for a campaign where lots of individual people are separately playing Space Marines against a variety of enemies. Players could opt to form groups along the way, just saying that their chapters are based near each other, and groups could get lost, split up, change course to help each other out, and so on. Something like all the ships returning from Troy.
Big chapters with multiple players can say they brought small fleets with several companies to the conclave. Alternatively, they're all the one real chapter master, and there are a bunch of conflicting legends about their journey home.

Edited by Grimbad, 10 May 2012 - 04:37 AM.

Brother-Sergeant Bohemond

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
I think protecting against a drive by various factions against Terra during the Age of Apostasy would be a good idea. However, as has been pointed out, the SM are not known for not participating, but for their neutrality and their continuation of doing what they had been doing for the thousand or so years before hand.

I think Grimbad's idea is a pretty good one as well, I would also throw out the Macharian Crusade for another idea, or something like this, perhaps a determined Crusade into a single area of space by the Imperium to reclaim lost worlds?

If your set on the AoA, (heck, whatever you do in the end) I would be keen to write some fluff up and help plan out the map and all that jazz.

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
Grimbad's idea is a good one, but I'm not sure how we would pull off scoring. I think that the spearhead/defense idea is the easiest to score reliably, but if the background needs to change, then it needs to change. The Macharian Crusade by the look of Lexicanum, did not really involve Marines, and thus no power armor. Prehaps the First or Second War for Armageddon? By the look of it, shall we make this the 12th Black Crusade. That gives the same main idea, with a capture and control style of play, while still giving room to expand the backstory a bit, while also keeping a basic Imperium vs. Chaos.

Looking at this now, I think capture and control is the best way to go about scoring this thing, so all that remains is fluff, and backstory.

Thoughts?

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
Alright, in hopes of getting this started, can I get a show of hands, voting for either the Age of Apostasy, or the 12th Black Crusade?

ScottishSmurf96

ScottishSmurf96

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 389 posts
Age of Apostasy, the reason being it would justify games against xenos.
WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. WE GOT FUN AND GAMES.

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,755 posts
I like Grimbad's idea.

Vesper

Vesper

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,549 posts

Players could opt to form groups along the way, just saying that their chapters are based near each other, and groups could get lost, split up, change course to help each other out, and so on. Something like all the ships returning from Troy.

You mean the entire fleet being crushed by a huge storm and the whole army killed to a man ?
As a Chaos player, I fully approve.

vesper.png Lord Silas, Knight of Thorns, Lord of the Lions of the Despoiler.

Grimbad

Grimbad

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 132 posts

Players could opt to form groups along the way, just saying that their chapters are based near each other, and groups could get lost, split up, change course to help each other out, and so on. Something like all the ships returning from Troy.

You mean the entire fleet being crushed by a huge storm and the whole army killed to a man ?
As a Chaos player, I fully approve.

Err, I was thinking more like how Odysseus fared? (And by that I don't mean the part where he sits on an island with a nymph for seven years.)

But yeah, probably lots of storms and dying.

Edited by Grimbad, 10 May 2012 - 05:34 PM.

Possessed Marine

Possessed Marine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
I really like the AoA idea of 5 or so planets to fight over, since it would add another level to strategy. Perhaps there could be a warmaster or supreme commander on each side or subforum that could "send troops to different planets" (have x players add their win to planet y) focus attacks on 3 of the planets to try getting a victory through having a majority of the planets.

As for the xenos that would be encountered... DE go looking for slaves, Eldar had visions telling them to get involved, Orks just love to fight, Necrons... tomb world? Tau... not really sure about them. And Tyranids? OM NOM NOM NOM... tasty planets.

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
Posssesed Marine has the gist of it. I like Grimbad's idea for a story, but it is difficult to do the technical side. As the person organizing this shindig, I think the Age of Apostasy has the most potential, and I've gotten alot of people interested in helping with AoA fluff. If this is okay, can anyone watching this topic please PM me, preferably by the end of the week? Once I get a total, I'll write up as synopsis, and either send it to the mods, or post it in the subforums.

Chapter Master Ignis Domus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,766 posts
I definitely like the idea Possessed Marine had. It's benen one of my dreams to do something like that for a while now. If you like, I can come up with a draft ruleset.
Signature not compliant with forum rules
Hidden Content

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
AoA looks good, I think. A simple points based system would be good, I think, where a winner chooses a 'sector' and his victory points get placed there. So many percentages of points gets control of said sector, either total or limited control.

Id like to see it more of the Imperium leading the attack rather than defending against all threats, at this stage we are still the top dawgs and theres not much wrong with the Imperium.

We can also have ecclesiacal armies being used as well that represents Vandire's troops in the region (best represented by the IG Codex)

Kassill

Kassill

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,120 posts
Whatever route you guys take, I'd be down. Could write up some stuff as well if need be.
Lo, there do I see my fallen kinsmen, Threads cut by the foe I now seek. In bloody battle I will engage him, And carve my vengeance from his flesh. No ale shall pass my lips, At no feast will I indulge. No foe shall stay my wrath, Until my brothers are avenged. Ever shall I hunt my quarry, Across the Sea of Stars. Whilst I yet breathe, I will not falter, Until Morkai claims his due.--Bjorn's Oath of the Lone Wolf

Kolat operative

Kolat operative

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4 posts
I would love to join something like this. I'll be watching to see where this goes.
"What do we do?"
"We break the plans of the enemy!"
"Now then fellow whispers find them and slay them in Zuvassin's name"

Chaptermaster Graymantle

Chaptermaster Graymantle

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,139 posts

Space Marines remained notably neutral in the age of apostasy, with a very few exceptions (Fire Hawks, Black Templars, Soul Drinkers) declaring against Vandire. Most chose to patrol their own local space because the warp was too unstable for long journeys and there were aliens everywhere taking advantage of the anarchy.
Not an ideal time to set a big combined crusade.

How about when 800-something Chapter Masters made pilgrimages to Gathalamor to reaffirm their oaths of loyalty at the start of M41? Any planet is a long ways from most other planets in the galaxy. Assuming Space Marines are distributed even a little bit evenly, most of those Chapter Masters would have a long journey back. With lots of peril and adventure, of course.
Which would work for a campaign where lots of individual people are separately playing Space Marines against a variety of enemies. Players could opt to form groups along the way, just saying that their chapters are based near each other, and groups could get lost, split up, change course to help each other out, and so on. Something like all the ships returning from Troy.
Big chapters with multiple players can say they brought small fleets with several companies to the conclave. Alternatively, they're all the one real chapter master, and there are a bunch of conflicting legends about their journey home.

I would agree with this.
Also, it is often not reccomended to play established events like AoA, as everyone knows the outcome and so there is really no way the battles in such a campaign affect anything.
In less known official events, or community-made ones that may or may not tie into a official event, there is more creative freedom and a chance to create something unique.

Age of Apostasy, the reason being it would justify games against xenos.

As for the xenos that would be encountered... DE go looking for slaves, Eldar had visions telling them to get involved, Orks just love to fight, Necrons... tomb world? Tau... not really sure about them. And Tyranids? OM NOM NOM NOM... tasty planets.

I have to point out that the Age of Apostasy happened 100-600.M36.
The first Necrons were encountered in 666.M40.
The Tyranids show up, and the first Tyranid wars are fought in late M41.
The Tau weren't a threat even worthy of the Imperium's notice until late M41, and they were only allowed to grow stronger because of the arrival of the Nids.

Edited by Chaptermaster Graymantle, 11 May 2012 - 04:17 PM.

New-GA-hotlink-banner-190511.jpg

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
So it appears that we do not have a consensus for a canon event. Would anyone like to write some sort of non canon event? If we do that, we can keep the setup of Imperial Defense of a few worlds from a Chaos Offensive. If possible, could a few of you try to drum up some support for this in your respective subfora?

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
In that case, if we want a Chaos V Imperium route, why not a less known Black Crusade? There are 13 Crusades and only about 5 with any bit of background, the rest are mentioned in name only.

781.M31, beginning of the 1st Black Crusade aka The First Battle of Cadia.
597.M32, beginning of the 2nd Black Crusade a failed attack on defences of Cadia.
909.M32, beginning of the 3rd Black Crusade.
001.M34, beginning of the 4th Black Crusade. Destruction of the Citadel of Kromarch on El'Phanor.
723.M36, beginning of the 5th Black Crusade.
901.M36, beginning of the 6th Black Crusade.
811.M37, beginning of the 7th Black Crusade aka the Ghost War. The Blood Angels are slaughtered at Mackan.
999.M37, beginning of the 8th Black Crusade.
573.M38, beginning of the 9th Black Crusade.
001.M39, beginning of the 10th Black Crusade aka the Conflict of Helica. Iron Warriors fight the Iron Hands at Medusa.
301.M39, beginning of the 11th Black Crusade.
139.M41, beginning of the 12th Black Crusade aka the Gothic War. Abaddon the Despoiler tries to capture the Blackstone Fortresses.
999.M41, beginning of the ongoing 13th Black Crusade. Major attack on the Cadian system.

This is a list of crusades that I located, may be some inaccuracies, but, as you can see, there is a lot of room to play with all this. I would suggest either the 9th Crusade, or the 11th. Either located in the aftermath of the crusade, or the entire crusade itself in order to 'see what happens'. I say aftermath as that way we can see Chaos gains either held or lost, as we know that Abaddon is beaten back, at some point.

Just another thought I would throw out there.

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
The 11th could be interesting. As we know, Abbaddon does not have to strike from the Cadian Gate, but can attack elsewhere. Would Abby be intersted in STC's? Aside from Cadia, what would Abbaddon be interested in, that would work with a capture/control style scenario?

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
anything that helps his cause.

he attacks Cadia, that world that provided men for the Segmentum fleet, the Gothic War for the Blackstone fortresses. I am sure we can come up with a conceivable reason/agenda

Possibly to recover a Lost Emperor Class Titan that went missing and he hopes to corrupt it? Well, that would be his agenda, but the other warlords will have their own, like to gain slaves, resources, material etc.

possible reasons also include an attempt to deny the Imperium continued access to a Forge World, or a vital Manufactorum world. Possibly aiming to desecrate a Shrine World to a Saint that humbled him/a renowned Chaos Warlord or just provides huge amounts of Inspiration for the local Imperials and he desire to undermine this.

Just some thoughts I have swirling around :angry:

Grey Knight Purifier

Grey Knight Purifier

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 569 posts
Doesn't the Leman Russ Battle Tank only have one world producing it? I can see Abbaddon trying to destroy something of that magnitude. Or maybe he is trying to take a Space Marine home world. That would be a blow to the Imperium, especially if it was a larger chapter. My money would be on the Wolves. Maybe Abbaddon is heading toward Fenris, but to totally get rid of resistance, he attempts to take all the worlds in the system? An Emperor Class could work as well, and maybe they don't know which world in a group of worlds it is hidden on.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,766 posts
The Leman Russ is one of the most produced tanks in the galaxy. There are a load of worlds producing them. You're probably thinking of Ryza, which is the only planet that produces the crystals for the Executioner's plasma cannon.
Hidden Content

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,810 posts
I would not have him target something as well known as Ryza, but yes, something along that line will work

Son of Carnelian

Son of Carnelian

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,755 posts
573.M38: Abaddon the Despoiler launches a vicious attack out of the Eye of Terror, with dozens of warbands following in his wake. The combined martial force of these renegades manages to break through the Imperial blockade of the Cadian Gate. As the Chaos forces rush out into the surrounding sector, Space Marine chapters from across the wider Imperium rush into the conflict in an attempt to halt the spread of Chaos forces. The war becomes so widespread that many conflicts spill into unmapped regions of space, encountering previously unheard of xeno races. However, the fighting is so furious that few reports of such encounters are logged and even fewer are successfully transmitted to the Inquisition.

All of this serves Abaddon's design, though. As the other warbands make war across the galaxy, the Imperium's attention and resources are spread so thin that Abaddon's true agenda goes unnoticed. What Abaddon seeks is a mass teleportation system that can carry his armies across the stars in seconds. Abaddon attacks worlds rich with the secrets of the Adeptus Mechanicus. With every victory, he captures more and more techpriests who slowly release their secrets to Abaddon's Dark Mechanicus allies. Abaddon has let a few select warbands know of his plans, so others outside the Black Legion actively raid other worlds rich in technological secrets or otherwise distract the Imperium from Abaddon's central plan. With enough victories, Abaddon could ensure that the legions are never again trapped in the Eye of Terror and can move as they wish throughout the galaxy, ransacking world after world in a teleported march towards Terra.

The Space Marines, on the other hand, are strategically fighting to weaken the hold of Chaos on the worlds surrounding the Eye of Terror and beyond. Chapters from all of the galaxy have been dispersed in an effort to contain the hordes and with each victory they not only crush more would-be tyrants, but save Imperial citizens and mend the rift in realspace that Chaos opens in its wake. However, so chapters go too far in pursuit of these warbands and encounter other alien races along the way. The broad Imperial strategy, if there can be said to be one with so many involved, is one of containment. If the Imperium can encircle Abaddon's many forces before the get too far into Imperial space, then they might be able to drive their traitorous hides back into the Eye of Terror. Without support, the plans of the Despoiler will surely come to naught.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Marshal Sampson of Terra, 12 May 2012 - 07:21 AM.

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,766 posts
Actually, have you considered looking at the fluff resources developing in the Liber Astartes Campaign? It would add a nice homegrown B&C element into it, as well as providing us with ready made background. I would suggest the first chapter, although sent later in time, even were I not running it. It provides the most map campaign opportunity, especially with Exetus's awesome maps, and can easily introduce pretty much any race.
Hidden Content