Sons of Orion “Star Hunters; Xenos Slayers”

DarkLiege

I know I already made this post but I just want to leave that behind in the not so distant past. this is the same chapter but with help from the Chapter Background Generator which could be found here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=83190

Before I post, just want to say that I did not roll a die to decide this instead went and pick out things that are interesting and could work. Tell me what you think of it.

P.S. the whole thing is pretty long so it will be a long read.

Without further ado, here we go:

Origin

Why was the Chapter Founded?

Crusade(Created to crusade and expand the Imperium’s border or defeat a certain foe)

The Sons of Orion are created to combat the ever growing Xenos forces in the Ultmia Segmentum region of space. The chapter has outpost in certain worlds to help draw in recruits from. The marines are hunters in every right.

When was the chapter Founded?

Unknown

The chapter has lost most of their records of their earliest founding. However so far, their records dates as far back as M.36.

Name?

It is a true mystery as to why the chapter is named the Sons of Orion. Some have claimed that their name derived from one of ancient terra’s myth of Orion while, others claims that the name Orion refers to their progenitor Primarch.

Livery & Heraldry

The Sons of Orion livery is mostly camo green. Some say this their livery is due in part with their first conflict of slaying orks and so they took their color to help blend in with the masses. Others said this is due to the environment they were taking from.

Their heraldry is a white snake biting its own tail.

Gene-seed

Progenitor:

White Scars; Flawed; Brothers in battle and We stand alone

Brothers in Battle

The Sons of Orion regards all Astartes as brothers since they are all born from their Primarchs and from them, the Emperor, himself. When fully indoctrinated, the chapter regards the scouts as brothers as well. Although there are some case that other have higher status than others, but rarely seen by outsiders.

We stand alone

The Sons of Orion arrives on the battlefield only to butcher their enemies and leaving without seeing the PDFs or any other chapters.

Founding Fathers/Figures of legend

Homeworld:

The Sons of Orion is a Fleet-Based Chapter always on the move to hunt down the aliens that continues to plague the galaxy. The Chapters recruits from more than one world having separate out-posts in every world. The Sons of Orion does not have a Fortress Monastery instead their gene-stocks are spread out among their fleets to ensure that the chapter would survive no matter the cause.

Ra-Vesh (Ocean World/ Death World)

Ra-Vesh is a world covered in oceans however among those oceans, there are two main land mass and small islands. The two land masses are covered with mountains and forests filled with deadly creatures. The oceans are even deadlier than the land filled with sea monsters of myth. The people are primitive at best living off the lands and wondering like nomads. Ra-Vesh was conquered, supposedly, in the early days of the Chapter’s history from a Dark Eldar raid by the Kabal of the Five Serpents and their Archon Venmilus.

Ra-Vesh is inhabited by two types of people: Those who lives in the main lands and those who lives on islands and off the oceans. The inhabitants who lives on the main land lives in settle colonies periodically waging war with their neighbors. Most of these wars are mere raids or skirmishes upon each other making them great recruits for the Sons. The tribes would sometimes send children to compete in the trails, the trek to the outpost is a trail of itself located in the highest mountains.

The second inhabitants are the nomadic tribes in the islands. These are the people who spent most of their lives out on the water. These are the people that the chapter mostly look at when looking for recruits since they are at constant war with each other and their alliance constantly changes. It is with these rapid strikes that they are primary recruits.

Kel’Beth (Desert World/ Death/Medieval World)

Kel’Beth is the second main recruitment out-post of the Sons of Orion. A desert world, the planet is a Medieval World and is locked in a state of knighthood. The Knight are one of the prime recruits to the chapter. Locked in constant war, the children starts training to be knights as soon as they are born. For the most parts, the knights has to go through its own trail of hunting a beast before all else. Once every year, there is a tournament held in the out-post of the Sons of Orion. The tournament provides the Chapter with a steady income of fresh recruits. The knights have a saying:

“We are all Warrior-Born”

Besides the knights, the planet also contain nomadic tribes which the Chapter constantly observe with keen eyes. The tribesmen thrives in trading with one another even making pacts of marriage arranging to ensure what they want however, what the chapter observe most of all about them is their ability to hunt deadly creatures and relying upon others to help out in its time of need. These aspects helped form a strong bond of brotherhood among themselves and which has carried over to the chapter.

Jashvar (Swamp World/ Death World)

Jashvar is the third main recruitment out-post for the Sons of Orion and by far not the last out-post recruitment. It was not sure when it was brought make to the light of the Emperor but what little records were left has raised many questions in the high commands and that of the high lords of Terra. What was known was that the planet was enslaved by the Venom lords, later to be reveals are actually Dark Eldar Mandrakes and a Haemonculi cult. During the liberation, the Ra’ah (inhabitants of the planet) joined the Sons of the 1st Fleet in battling the Venom lords. Seeing the inhabitants in combat, the chapter later decided to make the world one of their recruitment world. The marines of the 1st Fleet left Jashvar with two-hundred children for recruitment after the battle. Of the two-hundred children, only 97 would go onto becoming part of 1st Fleet.

These are just some of a few planets that the Chapter recruits from.

Relationship with Homeworld

Ra-Vesh (Stewardship)

Kel’Beth (Stewardship)

Jashvar (Stewardship)

Organization

Unique Organization

Being a Fleet-Based Chapter, the Sons of Orion has one of the most unique organization. The Chapter has 6 different fleets, each one operate more like a mini Chapter usually around 30 -40 squads of marines. Since the death of their second Chapter master, the Chapter captain though it would be a great idea to split the fleet into six different one each commanded by one or two captain(s). Each of the six Fleets are named after a mythical beast of ancient Terra.

The roles of the librarians and the Chaplains are merged into the post the Chapter called Strigidae. The Strigidae fulfills the task of both roles. The Strigidae uses bones and intestines of enemies to ‘determine’ the chapter’s next course of action. They are revel in a higher status than that of the captain. The Techmarines helps keep the ships and vehicles operational.

Scouts and new recruits are placed into the same squads with full battle brothers. The scouts does not wear scout armor but full power armor. This way, the scout could learn from the elder of their peers and they would not take all the glory of battle for themselves. The chapter houses a few notable dreadnoughts who acts more as advisers to the captain instead of weapons. Each fleet also has totems of animal spirits.

Combat Doctrine

Close Combat; Drop Pods

The Sons of Orion uses Drop Pods to get in close to the enemy before unleashing their full might of assault. Every Sons of Orion strives to perfect themselves in warfare, trying to master the art of killing. The Chapter would pass by strategic and tactical importance to engaged the enemies. This have been viewed by some as a flaw in their gene-seed by some Astartes Chapters(most noticeably the Ultramarines) and Imperial guard commanders. However, the tactic of this tendencies have won many battles throughout the chapter’s history. The marines regard the phrase: “Knowledge is power” as their motto to the point of storing vast amounts of books of past engagements with different Xeno species in their libararium.

Most of the Chapter has at one point served in the Deathwatch giving the Ordo Xeno information on their tactics and behaviors. The Chapter thinks it is an honor to serve in the Deathwatch and so do so willingly.

Special Equipment

Traditional weapons; Modified Weaponary

The Sons of Orion’s traditional weapons are the combat blade for quickly and silently killing the enemies and the chain/power axes. The Chainaxes are used by marines as well whereas, the power axes are used by sergeants or Captains of the Chapter. The chapter’s Techmarines has continuously worked on providing improved and new weapons for others to use in combat. One of these weapons are the trident which is used to pierce the flesh of the xenos. Another one of these weapons is the lance and shield.

Chapter Beliefs

Honour the Ancestors; Revel the Emperor

The Sons of Orion revel the Emperor as a ‘spirit warrior’ that could take the forms of many animals. Some of these animals that the emperor could take the form of are the Wolves, Bears, and Ravens. The chapter worship the spirits of the Wild and the spirits of the dead. These beliefs has, time and time again, come into conflict with numerous chapters who sees the Sons as outright heretics. The Sons also beliefs that when a battle brothers die, they are not truly dead. For those that question the Sons’ beliefs, the Sons would answer their question:

“Brothers, we are not wrong in our beliefs. We merely honor our dead as a sign of respect for don’t you honor the ones you love or a lost brother? The ‘spirits’ walks among us even now.”

The Sons of Orion also beliefs that even if a battle brother dies in combat, their souls or ‘spirits’ remain to continue to fight on alongside them.

Current Status of Chapter:

Unknown

Friends and Enemies:

Friends:

Inquisition(mostly the Ordo Xenos)

Certain Adeptus Astartes Chapters

Enemies:

All Xenos(Orks, Eldars, Tau(Recently), and Tyranids(Recently)

So what do you guys think?

I like the concept and the Background Generator has given you a good foundation to work with. I would consider adding the Inquisition as a potential enemy as the Chapter seems to indulge in a wide variety of practices that would be deemed heretical if they were found out, including totem worship and haruspex. I think the Inquisition frowns on any kind of fortune telling that isn't made through the Imperial Tarot.

I'd also consider maybe a different color other than green: blending into a mass of Orks isn't necessarily a good thing even on the best of days. :cuss

@SnakeoilSage: I placed the Inquisition as a friend because the Sons helps out the Ordo Xenos part of the Inquisition (mostly the radical ones). I wanted the chapter to be a xeno hunter kind of chapter. As for the color scheme , I'll work on it some more.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's some color schemes I came up with. Tell me which you like?

1. http://i45.tinypic.com/24y721i.jpg 2. http://i46.tinypic.com/14w60ir.jpg

3. http://i46.tinypic.com/16ishab.jpg 4. http://i46.tinypic.com/5woeh.jpg

5. http://i49.tinypic.com/54t72h.jpg 6. http://i50.tinypic.com/15x4aog.jpg

Archived