hobby desk ideas?

Greetings brothers and sisters,

I am in the process of creating a hobby room and need ideas as how or what to include or arrange the room. I need any ideas or thoughts from you all to help me out. The room is 7'6" x 10'10". I hope this helps. If you could include any pictures of your hobby rooms or links to products that are helpful to a new hobby room. Thanks.

I live in an apartment and needed to stealthily integrate my hobby into the regular decor of the house. I made a workbench with a lid (to hide the mess) and used archive boxes in regular bookshelves for my storage needs. Both of these are in our reading room where we entertain guests.

This pic was taken this morning:

gallery_6637_7224_1643406.jpg

I have more pictures of my setup In this thread

As for general tips I can stress the following:

- The table surface should be 3-4" higher than a normal table surface for hobby work. Why hunch over and ruin your back when you can bring the work to you when setting out to build the space?

- Daylight bulbs are your friend. double the amount of work lamps you think you need.

- If you use power tools, lots of sanding and/or spray painting you might want to consider setting up an old vacuum cleaner permanently at the work surface. I find it horribly frustrating to have to sweep up dust and shavings all the time. Alternately a hand vacuum might be a worthwhile addition to your power tools.

- If you like to work on multiple projects simultaneously you need lots of shallow shelving right where you work. Horizontal space is your friend and you should try to maximise it within easy reach of your chair.

Cheers

-T14

T14,

What did you use to make the hobby desk? I wouldn't mind knowing because I need to work on one myself and stop using TV trays. (I see someone has gone to build a bear)

OP,

With a 10' by 7' room you should have alot of room for a hobby desk, storage, and display table. I would use an open first storage cabinet and use some small bitz storage trays. You can find them at hardware stores in the Bolts and Nuts section. Give yourself some room to work. Don't make the work area too small that your are knocking into other projects and stuff. A desk about 3' wide by 2-2.5' deep should be enough room to work. You could use a display cabinet other than a table them you have more than one shelf to put stuff on. Like the ones in Games Workshops if you can find one.

elric, i would love to get one of those curio cabinets, but i don't have around a $1000.00 to spare. i have been looking around to see if i can find one second hand.

Templar, love the idea that you came up with.

I made the back wall into a desk, using a leftover 7' kitchen counter top on top of two 3' storage boxes. I also put two storage racks into the room. But i am needing something to hold paints and tools. Any ideas?

Funny that this thread came up when it did.

I actually just moved into my new house and have been setting up my new hobby room. (will have pictures tomorrow)

The BEST way to go about making a workspace in my opinion is simple "Craigslist"!! Anticipating the move to the house My wife and I just purchased and knowing the dimensions of my "man cave" I went on craigslist looking for a nice big second hand L-shaped desk. $60 dollars later and I now own a 4 x 5 foot long executive L-shaped, hobby desk. It wasnt hard to assemble or move and it is larger by far than anything that I have used in the past. And did I mention only $60 !!!! My paint rack cost more than the desk that it currently sits on!

:D

Remember Craigslist is your friend, just not the personals section haha.

What did you use to make the hobby desk? I wouldn't mind knowing because I need to work on one myself and stop using TV trays. (I see someone has gone to build a bear)

Just an untreated pine desk, an extra pine tabletop and some stout pine shelving cut on a table saw. This afternoon I've added a set of lifting cylinders to keep the lid open when I work.

I use a computer armiore. Lets me be as messy as I want, and I can close it up and hide it all.

Looks great mate. I'm sure this helps keep you in good standing with the cohabitants.

I have an old work bench designed for children that my grandfather built me which i planned to use for hobby stuff but now that my fiancee also does 40k (Great woman eh?) we generally just cover the kitchen table with protective plastic and paint/assemble there.... During long periods of project work we eat elsewhere LOL... It also expands to allmost 4x6 nicely with leaves so its good for gaming too :)

Archived