​Imperial Fists 1st Company

Its not the size that counts guys ^_^ As I pointed out earlier I've got a bit of a problem with big flags. I'll see if I can GS something better today. Otherwise I reckon its back to the board for my chapter banner.

I honestly thought this dude would get a better reaction. Surprising.

Its not the size that counts guys :P

Cheeky ^_^

If you really feel like adding to it, perhaps add a panel or two (look at the bottom of the plastic, company standard. It has those flaps) and that'd be it. Then when you paint it up make it look war torn. It will be ace, bud!

Honestly I like it small. I was toying with the idea of giving the standard bearer for the command squad that I am fashioning a back banner as the company's banner...

This changed once I saw the 25th Anni model, though I am considering still doing it for my DIY chapter.

Sorry guys. Couldn't resist. :D

gallery_67182_7257_351384.jpg

Ok here's some shots of the honour guard.

gallery_67182_7257_240323.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_364614.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_450419.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_639095.jpg

I've tried modelling several different banners now but scrapped them all and gone back to the original. I just think he looks ace. I will be getting that anniversery model though. I didn't even know that existed! Must have been out of the hobby when he was released.

Right back to painting yellow for me. Thanks for the feedback guys.

My issue with the new one is that it says Crimson Fists and it is sculpted...

Thinking I will green stuff it then change the Crimson part to read the Legion's number. :/

Sorry guys. Couldn't resist. :tu:

gallery_67182_7257_351384.jpg

That looks like the kind of banner the Ultramarines would carry round.

I like the small banner, I think it is enough and at least it looks like he will be able to fight whilst holding it. Then again this is coming from a Raptor player who thinks banners are for show offs and snipers!

I would possibly extend the pole so it reaches the ground and looks like most of the weight is leaning on his shoulder but the look your going for works for me.

I like your Vladamir Pugh too he looks really good especially his black fist. It annoys me that they have never produced a sculpt for the chapter master of the fists. Too busy concentrating on Marvellous Marneus and all his lacklustre friends!

Cheers

The Yak

Thanks Yak, glad you like him. Im not a huge fan of banners neither. This is my concession to one. My biggest concern was ensuring that he still looked ready for a scrap. Oh and i've got something in mind for the bottom of the banner pole.

Another coupla dudes for my first sternguard squad. Still need to put a bolter barrel on the combi melta and do a little gs work on his wrist, but overall I'm really happy with the poses I've got going on here. A classic gunslinger and a guy leaning around some cover to pop a tank. BOOM!

Haha forgot to post the bloody pic. Here you go.

gallery_67182_7257_290029.jpg

the new banner looks far better though your freehand could do with some work :P

nah go with what you like dude, as long as you keep the paint jobs up i wont complain.

and in the words of rammstein.. "too big, too small, size does matter afterall.."

The final member of my first sternguard squad. Apologies for photo quality but I've literally been up all night wrestling guy into shape. Was worth it though. He is taking that engine block clean out. The only thing he needs to be in a perfect firing position is to have his elbows tucked tighter in. But I won't tell no one if you don't. :)

gallery_67182_7257_118096.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_617842.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_290029.jpg

I really like this meltagunner. His pose really shows off that he is about to fire that thing. The DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA Brother is cool.

I'm also looking forward to seeing the minis that just got yellow on them finished soon!

Haha don't worry they are coming I promise. Its taking me so many thin layers to get the finish I want that I keep having to bounce around to keep motivated. Mr melta gunner has seen a lot more paint since you last met. Not long now. Dakka marine has been given his normal Bolter back. He was interesting to model and I might attempt a display piece one day if I improve enough though.

@little. Thanks dude and yeah I'm full of good ideas. I'm limited only by my ability :)

@Jimmi. Mate that's high praise indeed coming from you. I checked out your world eaters bro and they are sterling. Really really good work. Id be alot further along with my boys by now if I hadn't found your thread haha.

Which brings me too.....

My first sternguard squad is very nearly complete now. But in the meantime I've had another little break and done a little more modelling. I was geeking up on my fist fluff and something about my honour guard models (found earlier in the thread) started to bug me. If you're a dedicated fists fan you'll probably know what it was and why. So I changed them. I'm much much happier with the results and painting them shall be my reward for finishing my ste

+1 interwebs for anyone who can tell me the correct reason for the change. (Clues in my name)

Anyhoo I give you.

gallery_67182_7257_322512.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_334181.jpg

Quick edit. Although you can't really see on the pics. The swords do have very subtle hilts. They're a lot like very long gladius'. And should look super sweet painted up. I'm still debating adding the powered element. Maybe they have batteries in the grip?

The army looks good, but with the Imperial Fists being a relatively staunch follower of Codex Astartes, you've got the markings (re: Shoulderpad Trims) for them in the wrong color.

1st Company would have white trims, while you have them painted black (which would be 5th Company).

DV8

I know I know. I'm back and forwards every two minutes in my head about just going for it and painting the trims an off white and think sod it they look how they look. But you gotta agree the black does look cool and its only base coated in the pics.

Arghh you've started another infernal round of b vs w in my head now haha.

Feels like ages since my last update. I've mainly been working on shading and trying to get more contrast in my models

gallery_67182_7257_387757.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_930804.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_62132.jpg

And I also made my own Franz Grenzstein. Still a lot of work to do on him but I'm happy with where he's going. Zzzap take that foul heretic :)

gallery_67182_7257_191060.jpg

Quick edit. My dudes also now have official codex first comapany colours. Went with silver in the end. Needs rebasing and highlighting but I like the look of it.

Models looking good! Keep it up.

The issue I have with the whole "wrong" color bit is simple. Imperial Fists are staunch codex followers right? We all know this. But as far as I know they have always retained their tradition of the first company's marking being black, not white. So it has always been a bit convoluted to me because how would you distinguish the first and the fifth? I honestly think part of it is that white just doesn't look that great paired up with bright yellow. They are to similar a color. But that is where some little creativity comes in. One of the things the 5th ed Space marine codex says is that the first company's markings are either white or silver. Something people don't seem to notice. But then the whole gold thing was new to me having missed 4th when they implemented it at first.

So if you don't want to redo the army there is really nothing stopping you from saying its the first or the fifth but instead of doing a white I would recommend doing a silver/gunmetal.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok finally got round to finishing my Franz Grenzstein. Think he's just about ready to meet a paintbrush. I may go back at some point and green stuff a loincloth for him and I could have done a better job of the fist on his midsection, but hell do for now.

gallery_67182_7257_491773.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_350300.jpg

gallery_67182_7257_101976.jpg

Archived