Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Blood Angely words

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

Darklighter

Darklighter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
I've been painting my Angels now for just over two years and when it comes to scrolls and plaques I tend to use the same few words over and over; Honour, Valour, Blood, Angel, Angelis, Sanguine or other variations of the same ilk. I've collected and painted Blood angels for a lot longer than two years, but it's only recently I've been able to achieve legible lettering. My question is what words do you use and why?

Imperial Deceit

Imperial Deceit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
Just about anything in latin looks nice. Most of the tiny ones are just scribbles honstly.
"Curse? You, who cannot even see past the lies of your own dogma dare call the genetic gifts of Sanguineous a curse? I declare you heretic and trator to the Imperium and the Emperor. Pray he is more merciful then I."
Brother-Reclusiarch Eribus to unknown Confessor

Brother nathan

Brother nathan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,821 posts
usually the models name or a version of it cause thats more likely to be on it than some random word(well for me any way)

They stand against the coming storm, they are not buffeted by war, the thunder of guns does not shake them, nor do the rains drench their spirits,
for they are the true storm and they shall not be denied! For the Emperor and Sanguinius they will fight!

Darklighter

Darklighter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts

Just about anything in latin looks nice. Most of the tiny ones are just scribbles honstly.

Could you give me some examples please. I'm hoping to compile a list for future reference for me and other to use.

Brightguy

Brightguy

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 187 posts
google translate is your friend, but here are a couple of quick examples:

angel - angelus
gold - aurum
red - rubrum
blood - sanguinem
anger - ira
fury - furor
fire - ignis

Imperial Deceit

Imperial Deceit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
Google Translate is a nice tool. And if you have larger scroll space try phrases as well. I have a Death Company drop-pod that has different litany written on each door. Posted Image
"Curse? You, who cannot even see past the lies of your own dogma dare call the genetic gifts of Sanguineous a curse? I declare you heretic and trator to the Imperium and the Emperor. Pray he is more merciful then I."

JMac

JMac

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 314 posts
Fury, Baal, and Death are three I didn't see that popped into my mind right away
QUOTE (Taz @ Jun 1 2012, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also please note that adding smiley faces to your posts doesn't make YOU any less condescending, either.

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts

Google Translate is a nice tool. And if you have larger scroll space try phrases as well. I have a Death Company drop-pod that has different litany written on each door. http://www.bolterand...2_7266_9308.jpg

I hope you entered single words and not "sacred wrath of the emperor". At least in proper latin, as opposed to high gothic, the phrase should have been "ira sancta imperatoris" And the response should have been "libera (nos)" unless you wanted to write the infinitive instead of the imperative.

High gothic of course screws up latin grammar anyways.

SCNR

gallery_48988_16308_29741.pngsml_gallery_48988_16308_4210.png

Israfel

Israfel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 726 posts
Loyalty, fury, duty comes to mind B)
We are the Angels of Death! Death in His service is our deliverance!!!

“Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to carry us to victory, and the wisdom to rule once victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father within us, whether it is his hunger for battle, his psychic talent or his determination to succeed. Sanguinius holds it all. It should have been his...” -- The Warmaster Horus

Jorre

Jorre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,168 posts
Another thing you can put on scrolls are successful battle names or the names of a planet where a marine might have earn a note of honour for doing something cool

Like Ichar IV, Magnorum III or Xilex XIV where Brother Lokken slew a Carnifex with a lucky bolter round through the eye!

My WIP Thread
http://www.bolterand...p...Angels&st=0

How to create Terminator Nipple armour
http://www.bolterand...howtopic=259236

Follow my personal facebook blog Only Angels may fly to see all my work https://www.facebook...22043924497027/

gallery_48822_7696_6486.jpg

Darklighter

Darklighter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
Some good words popping up. I'll wait a few more days and start making a list. It's easy to read them even easier to forget them. I always hit a mental block when I come to actually painting these things on.

Campaign names is a good idea. I've never given much thought to the game I've played having names, but find out some battles names from the BA codex couldn't be to hard.

Not being good with language especially dead ones! Could some of the more learned of us maybe translate some popular 40k quotes into Latin correctly?

Edited by Darklighter, 22 May 2012 - 03:46 PM.

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts

Not being good with language especially dead ones! Could some of the more learned of us maybe translate some popular 40k quotes into Latin correctly?

Unfortunately translating from German to latin was not part of our curriculum, but I can try. Don't don't mind any possible errors as High Gothic is not proper Latin.

"Dolor deliratio sensuum (est). Desperatio deliratio mentis (est)" - Pain is a delusion of the senses. Despair is a delusion of the mind.

If you got any particular quotes you would like to have translated I or someone else may be inclined to do so.

Also you might find interesting stuff here.

What the Raven Guard's motto should have been:
Aut vincere, aut mori - To win/conquer or to die.

Fitting for Blood Angels:
Qui audet, vincit. - Who dares, wins.

Edited by Quixus, 22 May 2012 - 04:22 PM.

DV8

DV8

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,017 posts
Don't forget that you can also go with names for your sergeants/characters/vehicles. Some examples from my Sanguinary Guard and Lamenters:

Angelus
Sanguine

Thanatos
Heironymous
Archelaos
Ikaros
Haemon
Lykaon
Adrastus
Photios
Aethon
Phaeton
Kharon
Odysseus
Kreios
Perseus
Kronos
Hyperion
Okeanos
Deimos
Phobos
Chyron

DV8
[center]
[color=silver][img=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Banner.jpg]
[url=http://www.spacewithinspace.net]Homepage[/url]
I no longer accept commissions. Please do not PM me requesting them.[/color][/center]

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts
I hope you didn't name the models for traits/behaviour fitting the mythical characters. I would not want a squad to be commanded by a guy like Phaeton. Odysseus and Pereus are cool though.
AFAIK Thanatos and Phobos just mean death and fear respectively.

Edited by Quixus, 22 May 2012 - 04:28 PM.

Leksington

Leksington

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 533 posts
Sometime I use russian words and phrases and find that the cyrillic looks quite good. Other times I throw on favorite quotes from books and movies.

I have a Stormraven with a quote from Serenity "I'm a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar." I'm fond of using the the phrases from the fictitious High Valyrian language from the Song of Ice and Fire series which translate to "all men must die" and "all men must serve."

Edit: I'm trying to work in the quote from Syrio Forel from Game of Thrones onto a model somewhere: "There is only one thing we say to death: Not Today."

Edited by Leksington, 22 May 2012 - 05:09 PM.

I’ve studied now Philosophy
And Jurisprudence, Medicine—
And even, alas! Theology—
From end to end with labor keen;
And here, poor fool! with all my lore
I stand, no wiser than before.

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts

Edit: I'm trying to work in the quote from Syrio Forel from Game of Thrones onto a model somewhere: "There is only one thing we say to death: Not Today."

If you start quoting "A Song of Ice and Fire", do a Furioso Dreadnought piloted by the former Sanguinary Guard Leo with "In a coat of gold or a coat of red, a lion still has claws" ;)

Oh yeah "Valar morghulis, valar dohaeris" is a good one. Too bad valyrian does not fit with the fluff of 40K.

DV8

DV8

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,017 posts

I hope you didn't name the models for traits/behaviour fitting the mythical characters. I would not want a squad to be commanded by a guy like Phaeton. Odysseus and Pereus are cool though.
AFAIK Thanatos and Phobos just mean death and fear respectively.

Some names I chose just because they sounded cool (predominantly for my Sanguinary Guard), others I chose to fit a theme (for my Lamenters).

DV8
[center]
[color=silver][img=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y42/mybrain/Banner.jpg]
[url=http://www.spacewithinspace.net]Homepage[/url]
I no longer accept commissions. Please do not PM me requesting them.[/color][/center]

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts
"Incinerate haereticum. Caedite mutantem. Purgate impurum" - Burn the heretic. Kill the mutant. Purge the Unclean.

You can never go wrong with that one, whether it is in High or Low Gothic.

Brother Chris

Brother Chris

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 429 posts
I tend to write 'Baal' - short and easy shaped letters

Dante is nice and easy

the Codex cover says Sangunius, I think, so creative typos are permissable.

Imperial Deceit

Imperial Deceit

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 265 posts
Grammar is less important then appearance. Sense 90% of anyone won't be able to tell. Also there are numerable name generator apps specifically for 40k, just keep clicking until you get one you like.

The Holy Heretic

The Holy Heretic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 538 posts
Lorem Ipsum :lol:

Darklighter

Darklighter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts

Lorem Ipsum :(

Wow that is a nice find and I can see being very useful indeed. My first go on it gave me this gem!

"Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit..."
"There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

I'm so going to have to put this on a Landraider or Stormraven.

Quixus

Quixus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,266 posts
I'd prefer "Dies irae venit, dies poenae venit" (The day of wrath has come, the day of punishment has come.) for the LR/SR. Especially if it is a DC vehicle.

MadGreek

MadGreek

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 386 posts
Hmm.. Looks like that passage about pain is a standard blurb on the website. It is cool that you can generate words or phrases, but I don't see a way to translate them into English so you know what it says.

Master Sergeant, USMC Retired

Darklighter

Darklighter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 632 posts
Ok I have a list compiled a list of things that have been posted so far from words, mottoes and links. So keep them coming and I'll get to adding them to the document. I'm going to go through the Codex and add some stuff from there as well to help round it all out. I should have something to show you guys by the weekend.

Edited by Darklighter, 23 May 2012 - 09:12 PM.