The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

Sigh...

Gar and I had our annual game. Usually we try to get in more than one a year, but sometimes, it is what it is. I posted my list earlier. Gar fielded 7 Venoms with double super mega splinter cannons, 3 Ravagers with the world killer Lance variant, a couple of Hunkakunkacumulonimbus, a Raider with girly girls in it and one unit of Scourges.

Those of you who have an interest in history may get the reference. Essentially, after Republican Rome had conquered/subdued the Carthagenians, fought a Civil War, and stabilized their own internals, they began to look East. Well, East of them was this backwater kingdom called "Parthia" that couldn

Edited by Honda

Wow.

I don't even care about reading the batrep. :lol:

It's just nice to see that someone's LGS has more than one well painted (bit of an understatement) army! :blink:

The two forces look great sizing up one another.

Howdy.

I think you had it right Honda in your assessment.

However, from a DE perspective, and with 6th in mind, I don't ever really want to get close. I am more than content to sit back and shoot from a distance for 3 or 4 turns, then zip up, claim objectives and finish off units left over. At least that is the goal of this list. I had a unit of wyches with haywire grenades so I was not worried about the LRCs, I just needed to clear out the bigger long range threats before I moved on them. its not a winning strategy to rush in on my delicate transports in the face of massed str4 or greater shooting.

I would add, as I keep seeing more and more 6th adjusted lists going to a heavy foot meta, that plays right into DE hands, most of our shooting can be easily be 36 inch poison, which easily outranges bolters, stormbolters and psycannons. Add the nightshields, which reduces range by 6 inches, and that give a crafty DE player lots of room to manuever and pick off units with no return shooting.

Now I don't want to get too much into DE perspectives, but these are important things to consider for all comers plays as a marine player. If you go to a tourney or what have you, and if there is a DE player there, massed foot troops are like candy to 3 yrs olds. Yes please! While transports are much maligned now, it utterly negates DE poison shooting as it has no str value and it puts more pressure on DE to target transports before they get too close and starting rapid firing our vehicles to smoldering wrecks.

If you had a thunderfire cannon or 2, or more las cannons( which just about an autokill on DE vehicles) or anything with a 48inch range, then all of the DE players defenses are pretty much useless except for a cover save.

The downside to all of this, for all comers lists, is now the marine player may have gimped himself a bit against other lists. I have not played my Silver Skulls in quite a while, so I don't really have a good feel for what a marine player has to do nowadays to be competitive in 6th with the resurgence of hordes and less mech.

All in all it was good game, and my DE list is developing so I was not necessarily geared to tear your list in particular up, which I am sure makes it soo much better, lol. I think you are right though about setting up in cover, marine 3+ is way better than the cover save you got, and with splinter AP nothin, you would have done better probably setting up in the open and moving forward trusting in your faith in the emperor to keep you safe from harm.

Of course, now that your Honor has been besmirched and your brethern are languishing in Commorragh as Cabana boys cleaning our pools and serving drinks, I feel a rematch is in order sooner rather than later.

• 3 weeks later...

"There is no such thing as too many Landraiders" - Canticles of Sigismund, Article 3, Verse 27

In line with the above quote, I have continued to add to the mechanized assets available to my Templars. I now have two LRCs and two LR-Standards. Over time I have been absorbing the vehicles that I painted for my own chapter and reskinning them in the chapter that they deserve.

Before (the one in the middle, the other two I will tackle later)

gallery_15184_7227_26869.jpg

This is a shot showing the masking off of areas that I didn't want to repaint along with the initial grey base layers

gallery_15184_7227_421424.jpg

And here are the finished shots...

gallery_15184_7227_230667.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_87739.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_407993.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_167427.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_519413.jpg

While I was at this, I decided to repaint the cross on one of my vindicators storm shield as I was never really happy with the original version

Before

gallery_15184_7227_333384.jpg

After

gallery_15184_7227_388792.jpg

And finally, my first ever rhino. I've been playing SMs for a very long time and this is the first rhino I've ever had and it was actually a gift from my good friend Gar. I know he's looking forward to taking it out with his Dark Eldar.

gallery_15184_7227_329576.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_66481.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_172828.jpg

Once the humidity goes down a bit, I'll seal these guys and they'll be ready for action.

With the Christmas holidays coming up, I'm looking forward to making some progress on other parts of my crusade. This Wednesday, I'm going to play a 1000 pt game against a friend who hasn't had a 6th game yet, so we're just going to get together and explore the general mechanics. A few of us are also looking to see if we can get a game of Apocalypse in towards the end of the year. The scenario will be derived from "The Battle for Helsreach" and will basically have the Imperial forces rushing to the docks to try and prevent the Orks from unloading all their forces from their submersibles and get units off of the table. The scenario is not intended to be fair with the Orks holding a majority of the advantages. Anyway, we're still working out the details and I hope we can pull this off.

C&C greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

That's an impressive number of vehicles in your mechanized detachment!

Nice dusty weathering job on repainted LR it definitely looks like its seen active service which all Templar vehicles should.

'Back off or the witch get's it' hahaha classic!

First off, Merry Christmas everyone!

While the chili is cooking, I've been finishing up Brother Aquila. I've had him since the Contemptor first came out and he was originally intended for my Custodes, but you know how it is, everything looks better in black and white, especially if it has our crosses on it. :HQ:

gallery_15184_7227_223275.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_459653.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_465206.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_245525.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_421053.jpg

I wanted to do a couple of things with him. First off, I wanted to impart to him a sense of age, of having experienced a long career. I ended up manifesting this as a display of the many crusades he has taken part in. Secondly, since I was making my own base, I wanted him to look heavy. So while the air dried clay was...well, air drying, I pushed his foot into the clay and then added some cracks to it. I'm not sure that comes off in the pics because they aren't the best, but I did give it a solid Templar attempt.

gallery_15184_7227_15726.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_59383.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_56973.jpg

On the 29th we've been organizing an Apocalypse game for the 29th, based on "The Battle of Helsreach" at the GW-Royal Oaks in Houston. The general idea being, the Orks have surprised the Imperials and so as they pour out of their super tanker converted submersibles and attempt to get off the table on the Imperial side, the Imperials will be rushing onto the the table attempting to keep them from exiting. So neither side starts on the table. The Imperials get VPs for killing units (KPs), while the Orks get victory points for exiting units (half strength and above) and vehicles off the Imperial side of the table. We'll be fighting around the docks and there will be water on the table. The game is not intended to be well balanced as it is supposed to represent those desperate hours when the Orks were flooding the invasion area and the Imperials were doing everything they could to hold the line. Should be brutal.

Cheers,

Wow, Honda...love that stuff! The pose on the Contemptor is Epic! He looks brutal from the front and rear....love it! I really enjoyed reading about your game with Gar; and I especially appreciate his insight from the DE perspective. I've got an experienced DE player in the Austin area that has yet to be beaten with his army. Now, I haven't spoken with him since late summer, so I'm not up to speed on his success rate in 6th. But, he is good, and I'll eventually have to play against his DE. Please tell Gar that I LOVE LOVE LOVE his DE paint scheme; damn things look like angry hornets...and sting just as bad. Good luck with your Armegeddon Game this weekend. If I was in Houston, I'd swing by; but that's not in the cards for me. :)

Have fun, and may the Emperor bless those fancy BT dice! (mine have worked pretty well in the three games I've played).

Edited by philsminions

Many thanx for your righteous exhortations before the big battle Brother Phil!

Today is go day, time to finish sharpening swords and loading ammunition into magazines. As I type, my youngest son is constructing the Ork submersibles, to be painted later today. Also, all of what I will be able to bring has been painted, sealed, and delivered.

Here's a quick shot of my Typhoons...better shots will follow at a later point

gallery_15184_7227_270315.jpg

This Typhoon is called "On a Wing and a Prayer"

gallery_15184_7227_293362.jpg

I shall endeavor to take some decent pics and hopefully, so will others.

IMPERATOR VULT!

So...around 6,000 pts of Orks were not able to find their way to the battlefield and so the "Battle of Helsreach" became the "Battle of Hels-not". B)

However, we had 3000 pts of Templars, 3000 pts of Orks, 3000 pts of Silver Skulls, and 3000 pts of Death Company all huddled around a rather nice 4' x 16' battlefield. Whattaya going to do? So we divided up into Clan Honda (BT/Orks) and Clan GAR (SS/DC) and proceeded with the First annual Father Son Armageddon Shoot Out.

Long story short, a good time was had by all and we validated the base scenario that we were going to play and will attempt it at another time. We are now going to schedule a game that will take place later in the battle where the Imperial forces are defending a defensive line and the Orks are attempting to break through.

The upside is that we found another Ork player who is interested in participating, thus giving us some insurance with the greenskins.

Here's a few shots of my Templars which seemed to make an impression on the local crowd. Unfortunately, I did not take as many pics as I thought I did...

gallery_15184_7227_117783.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_518620.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_356446.jpg

What we thought we were going to be doing, hunting beasts...

gallery_15184_7227_74618.jpg

"Hey guys, look what I found...a witch!"

gallery_15184_7227_168683.jpg

Interesting annecdotes/observations:

1. Brother Aquila, my Contemptor, got ripped to shreds by a Death Company Dreadnought. I thought when I charged him that I'd be able to trade blows, but with my Initiate at -1 due to Suffer Not...actually, I might have been at a disadvantage because I think he's at I5, so nix that. Anyway, he pen'd me three times, glanced once and I failed all four of my 6++ saves.

2. My Reclusiam squad, with some assistance by the EC, did quite well going toe-to-toe with Lemartes, Tycho, and a squad of Deatch Company and basically fought to a draw through two full turns of hand-to-hand. Having said that, although the power maul a did good job on hitting, the AP4 against MEQ left me wanting. So, I am now seriously considering adding the axe to my MoS so he can selectively use the right tool for the job. It's a few extra points, but I tend to just build one list/character and use him/them regardless.

3. Landraiders are still tough and mine took shots from MM/LC all game long and I only lost one after a very concerted barrage of lascannon fire. I continue to think that having a number of Landraiders adds to their survivability.

4. Thunderfire cannon are just brutal. All my archer squads wereall wiped out, except for two squads that were reduced down to two guys. The two TC were very effective. My Rhino carted knight squad did survive, thanx to the rhino. So I will be adding some more of those in the future, probably a Razorback or two as well.

5. Two Death Company charged one of my archer squads that had a heavy bolter and a plasma gun remaining. During the snap fire, the plasma gunner killed the DC with one shot and killed himself with the other (Get's Hot). The HB initiate decided to swing the heavy bolter around his head by the ammunition feed in an attempt to brain the other DC, but just missed, losing the combat. However, it was quite uh, cinematic.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

I know, what have you done for me lately.

I have completed my Librarium Crusader Painting Challenge vow. I present to you Brother Apostoli!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0184_zpsa8ea5fa3.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0185_zps8004d628.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0187_zps320a621b.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0195_zpsd5fa7800.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0196_zps349b8d72.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0197_zpscc956fc5.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/DSCN0198_zps539ef8a3.jpg

Now that is complete I have this soaking...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Black%20Templars/DSCN0121_zpsb16365f9.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Black%20Templars/DSCN0122_zpsf6cf2e9c.jpg

...and a couple of Caestus ready to tackle, followed by something to put into the Caestus...to be detailed later.

The rhino will take some work and I'll have to get some doors on him, but in general he should take too much effort to get to the painting stage.

Also, since I am just about finished with "Helsreach", I will feel obligated to make my own Grimaldus...he is just too...powerful a presence in the story not to. I don't even care if I never field him, I just want to attempt to honor him.

Cheers,

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, serious problem I need some creative thought on. We're getting Storm Ravens in our list. I am overboard giddy at the possibilities this will provide us.

Last year, in the middle of the 2012 LPC and while I was recovering from shoulder surgery, I finished these for my as yet to be delivered Custodes...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9451.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9452.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9453.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9454.jpg

Single

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9455.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9457.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9458.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d187/hkowabunga/Custodes/DSCN9459.jpg

Now the bases were for my Elysians, which I borrowed for the shots, so these guys have bases more aligned with my Templar basing (desert/ruined temple). But they are gold. There is no question about whether or not they will fly the Templar livery, they will.

It. Is. Required.

However, I admit that outside of masking things I want to repaint, like engines, canopies, red band, I am very not stumped but wondering what I should do now that I am presented with this opportunity.

Obviously, I can paint over the gold and continue with my Dark Grey/Grey scheme as evidenced on my other vehicles, but part of me wonders if there is a way to save some of the gold and use that? I don't know, there doesn't seem to be a no-brainer  approach to this given all the angularity of the model.

So, I'm wondering what  other people think? Also, if someone wanted to photoshop a possible example of what they are talking about, that would be huge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated brothers.

Cheers,

Wow.  Being away, I've missed all kinds of stuff, like gaming tables covered with beautiful miniatures. On the stormravens, would it be possible to spray a dark brown glaze over the gold so that it becomes bronze? Bronze is well-associated with the Templar, especially with Helbrecht. Some black stripes and/or sections might help make them more recognizably as crusade vehicles, especially if the black areas contain some of the same off-white or bone you used in your other minis. They would also give you places to put that very nice script you've detailed on many of your models.

I don't have time to photoshop anything before my exam, but if I have time afterward, I'll try to come up with something.

~K

Okay, I know I posted about the storm ravens in the WIP forum- but I had some ideas when I went to lunch and can now articulate them here:

Get your hands on some of the nephilim/dark talon reliquary bits and replace the censers with lanterns and the DA angel of death with a old school "stained glass" motif- perhaps depicting dorn? or sigismund? (you could go crazy and put halos around their depicted head, etc.)

The landspeeder vengeance has some cool sensor bits that feature skulls- might make for some interesting replacements.  

I dont know if you planned on putting the turret ring on top (like the depiction on GW's website) but I imagine you could replace those with an immolator gun turret with a stained glass canopy and a throne of judgement/grimaldus style cenobyte servitor complete with archaic gun design.  

KRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKEEEEEEEEEEY!!!

Welcome back from your travails Brother! It is good to have you back, for however long that might be.

Thanx brothers for the feedback. I will be absorbing your suggestions as well as the input from the WIP thread and see where I land. I'm fairly certain that one of them will end up close to Brother zxyogi's Marines Malevolent Raven, and another might end up staying mostly gold with Templar livery. The second...will have to see what the muse says.

Cheers,

Lest you think I've just been waiting for someone else to carry on the crusading while I figure out how Storm Ravens are going to look, I have been heavily engaged in increasing the overall punch of my effort.

So, what is this?

gallery_15184_7227_577408.jpg

What are they for?

gallery_15184_7227_29012.jpg

Well, what are those?

gallery_15184_7227_245629.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_380900.jpg

And these?

gallery_15184_7227_372951.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_614218.jpg

The stabilizer/wings will next be sprayed (airbrush) an off white to bring them out a bit from the body of the Caestus. After that, then I can just pull off the masking tape and in theory, I'll have Templar crosses on them. Then off to the next steps like detailing and the post painting construction. These kits are a massive bit of resin and I'm not sure yet how they are going to handle their base (the slot does fit well though). I am planning on weathering them as well, but at this point, I'll probably seal first.

Although it took quite awhile to figure out how I was going to paint them (lots of Internet research), I think I'm going to be pretty happy with the end result of a black body and white wings. It was easy for me to visualize that scheme falling in with some BFG Templar schemes.

Anyway, still a ways to go before they manifest themselves into the divine instruments of the Emperor's justice, to be followed by a gaggle of Storm Ravens. After that, I'll need to gather some bodies for them to carry around...but that's another story for a later time.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

The story continues...

When last we left our intrepid Templar, he was focused on trying to bring together what appeared to be dissimilar elements in a way that might arrive as a veritable symphony of destruction, stirring the hearts of his proponents to new heights, whilst at the same time inciting grave concern in those who do not share his passion and are unable to ascertain the motivation that drives him, nor his inflexible, unyielding pursuit of his goal.

In the mean time, the princess remains imprisoned...

I am in the final stages of this effort and it's starting to look like all the supposition and experimentation is going to work. Not sure just yet, but I think so. Here are various progress shots showing the steps I've taken to bring these babies home.

The other thing that is driving me is that I don't know if I'm going to be able to attend the Big Game III in Memphis (12 hr drive), but I would like to. If that were possible, I'd want the Templars to be represented in the best way possible, at least visually, so I am scrambling and jamming on these guys because I'd also like to take my Raven if possible and they haven't been painted yet. So I am very aware that the clock is ticking regardless of the end result.

"On the wings of eagles..."

gallery_15184_7227_501715.jpg

Apologies for the double post, I'm still getting the hang of how Reply works in this window...

More wings

gallery_15184_7227_80402.jpg

First level of chipping on the bodies
gallery_15184_7227_579995.jpg
gallery_15184_7227_8228.jpg

Wings with the first level of chipping. This will be followed up with a metal underlayer.

gallery_15184_7227_343383.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_493713.jpg

Sneak preview

gallery_15184_7227_262707.jpg

The next two pictures are showing how I drilled holes into the resin, which I will then place some green stuff to create plugs that in theory help strengthen the bond. I'll be doing this with the wings as well, though also adding a pin for additional strength. I know that resin is rather sturdy, but I don't mind if these guys are solid as a brick.

gallery_15184_7227_220255.jpg
gallery_15184_7227_17823.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_566335.jpg
gallery_15184_7227_514718.jpg

So, there is a bit of gluing and drying going on, but I should complete these for some pics today...

C&C greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...

A "storm" of Ravens indeed.

The following are some work-in-progress shots to show how things are coming along.

Overall, I'm fairly happy with how this stage has gone. Unfortunately, when you do this much masking there's bound to be some bleed through, so I will have to touch up a few areas either with the base dark grey or with chipping. Thank heavens for weathering. :smile.:

This shot shows that the body has been painted, and that everything is masked off to allow me to spray the wings a light grey. This grey will be the base that I spray the off white on to get the low contrast white I am after and which was featured on my Caestus.

gallery_15184_7227_248864.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_133392.jpg

Here is me undertaking a rather tedious, but necessary task

gallery_15184_7227_208606.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_318612.jpg

The "presents" waiting to be unwrapped

gallery_15184_7227_393479.jpg

One of the presents, unwrapped, waiting for the next stage of ornamentation

gallery_15184_7227_528436.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_582661.jpg

So not a bad bit of progress on these, but still a ways to go. I'm also working up their bases so that the whole batch will be ready for some good 'ol witch breaking. When they are finished, I'll figure out how to get a group shot of the fliers.

Cheers,

Edited by Honda

As I am currently kicking my own head in on the first steps of airbrushing (I apparently invested in some Chinese knockoffomotron) I look forward to employing these techniques...when I can get the damn thing to work.

Nice results!