The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

In an age of uncertainty, with rumors looming large and casting dark shadows, there is one thing we can be certain of...

...The Sons of Dorn, Sigismund's descendants, the holy instruments of the Emperor's divine wrath shall continue as before. Our hatred unrelenting, our fury incandescent, our ZEAL unmatched.

There is plenty to occupy us while the galaxy sorts out it's affairs.

ONWARDS BROTHERS!

+++

There is much for us to do, many tasks that remain, therefore I continue and Templar on.

A short while back, I acquired some powders to add to the lower legs of my crusaders. I figured that if they were running around in the desert, then they should look like it.

This is what I got:

gallery_15184_7227_583299.jpg

And this is how it looks

gallery_15184_7227_116756.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_215592.jpg

Meanwhile, my crusade continues to expand...

gallery_15184_7227_94756.jpg

Cheers,

Just got through binge-reading all 26 pages of your thread. Your customization work is leaps and bounds better than anything I have ever conceived! Brother Honda, you most definitely put the ZEAL in ZEALOT, and have inspired this humble Sword Brother to Crusade on with as much as possible! I urge you to be a continuing inspiration to us all!

I really look forward to your work on Artarion's Banner. I'm very interested to see how it comes out.

I urge you to be a continuing inspiration to us all!

Well, a lot of people inspired me those not so many years ago, which lit a flame in me that continues to burn this day. Definitely look up Brother Eberious, Krikey, and Barbarossa, as their painting and modeling styles had a big impact on me.

But also look around you to the rest of our brethren. There are many examples of inspiration here and we fan the flames of our ZEALousness to a level that is the envy of the rest of the forum.

It will soon become apparent, but you are here because you were meant to be. This place just "feels" right. That's why I kept coming back and eventually why I decided to stay.

The BnC is the best 40K site on the Internet and the Black Templar forum is the best of the BnC.

We do not take this responsibility lightly, but this same responsibility is what drives us to excel and succeed.

The ZEAL helps out every now and then as well. ;).

I really look forward to your work on Artarion's Banner. I'm very interested to see how it comes out.

As do I.

Before the release of the Helsreach videos, it was already going to be a daunting task. Now it is even tougher. I am still working my WIP sketch, but am getting close.  I'm not a perfectionist, but the banner has to be good.

After all, you never know when Aaron Dembski-Bowden might drop by.

I'd want him to see what I did and smile.

Honda, on 24 Apr 2017 - 7:21 PM, said:http://bolterandchainsword.com//public/style_images/carbon_red/snapback.png

The ZEAL helps out every now and then as well. :wink:.

ONLY every now and then?...

Perhaps you will forgive a brother for understating the obvious. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Prologue:

"What is it?"

The slight figure, swallowed by his robes, smiled and said, "It is something that intrigues us. Perplexing really. We came upon its properties quite accidentally and I must admit has dumfounded us. We wondered if you might be interested in lending assistance, perhaps to work jointly?"

"So I will ask again, what is it?"

His counterpart continued to smile, "Well, that is part of the reason we are here. As you can see we have mastered gravitational lift and have incorporated it into all aspects of our lives. Even the most mundane elements of our technology incorporate and utilize these capabilities."

He continued, "However, one of our more progressive theoreticists, recently stumbled upon a concept whereby the forces that allow us to define gravity, might also be used to define other properties. Unfortunately, we seem to have uncovered the definition of a property we have no experience with, that we weren't aware was malleable by external forces."

"Much to our great surprise, I might add."

The Inquisitor leaned back from the table, the dead mask of a smile did not reach his eyes. He thought to himself, "Where is the play here? I understand their nature. What hook is he trying to set in me?"

With a bored tone in his voice, he interjected, "A charming tale, perhaps one entertaining to your Science Academy minors, yet I am not so amused. I am here at great risk to myself and in fact have left instructions of how much of my immediate surroundings to devastate should I not return within a specific allotment of time. So, please do continue your wearying tale, for at least I can take comfort in knowing that you won't carry on forever."

The robed figure stared at the human, paused as if possibly irritated, yet "it" maintained the congenial smile upon its face it began with. The Inquisitor was quite certain that the alien's smile had no correlation to normal human bio-mechanics. Much like his own, it was merely a pretense.

'In your language, it would be referred to as a...suspensor."

Irritated at this response, the Inquisitor stood and barked, "We have suspensor units in the untold trillions! Many of our servitors bear these devices. They are as toys to us! What is so...perplexing about this, this device?"

The alien remained seated, not looking up at the agitated human, maintaining his affable demeanor. He responded, "The property this suspensor modifies-"

"Is what? What property does it modi-"

"...is Time."

To be continued...

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update:

Steady progress continues on this batch of initiates, including a lascannon and MM armed "warrior". Oddly enough, it turns out that when you add more details to the finish (i.e. chipping and weathering), the amount of time increases for some reason. Cause and effect, who knew?

Anyway, I should have these guys finished up in the next few days in time for our "Farewell to 7th" Apoc game.

From there, I need to update Grimaldus a bit to bring him more inline with my new updated "look" and then seriously look into painting my Sigismund. He'll definitely be in Templar livery and become my new EC figure. Priamus will continue to run around irritating Grimaldus command squad....assuming that we can still take command squads.

gallery_15184_7227_362871.jpg

Which leads us onto 8th edition.

Long story short: I've been reading that most people are excited about this roll out. Some people don't like how GW did the roll out or what was in it. <shrugs> It's impossible to make everyone happy all at the same time. People want new models, GW gives us new models, then people get upset about what the new models look like and how suddenly, their models don't work anymore because their batteries are dead or something.

In my case, I like what I see, I still get to choose how I want to play and with what and I'm looking forward to 8th. So is our group.

Now, I wasn't really sure what I was going to do about the Primaris and their associated toys. Early on I stated that they wouldn't become a part of my crusade, but they could become attached to my crusade. That's still where I am for the time being. I have plenty of regular sized figures to paint and I'm not going to abandon them.

I do intend to get some of the Primaris and the Flying Murder Brick (FMB). I think they are cool looking and could make for an interesting addition, especially as I don't see our group giving up our Apoc sized games. What will be interesting to see is how the rules scale up.

Having said that, I hadn't really settled on "how" I was going to add them to my crusade, until I saw this image:

gallery_15184_7227_71503.jpg

So, I like the overall look and feel for IF Primaris, but I am also considering some "throwback" livery, whereby the IF Yellow is combined with Templar black and they are bearing both IF and BT chapter symbols on their shoulders.

Then visually, they could represent a bridge between the existing Templars and these new additions created by Cawl. I could also imagine Guilliman being savvy enough to recognize that images and perceptions are important. Presenting the Templars with livery that harkens back to the stand on Terra and the Scouring might ease the uncertainty that Helbrecht might feel about these "new toys from Mars".

So, I'll be looking into Sigismund's Templar 1st Company livery as a guide to how I will paint them, but I'm quite certain that it will be a mix of Yellow and Black.

ONWARDS BROTHERS, THE EMPEROR HAS ENTRUSTED US WITH THIS GREAT HONOR AND WE WILL NOT REFUSE IT!!!

NO PITY. NO REMORSE. NO FEAR!

I'm also considering this approach for my incoming Primaris marines. However I am torn between Imperial or Crimson Fists. But definitely keeping it in the Dorn family. Looking forward to seeing how yours turn out!

However I am torn between Imperial or Crimson Fists.

It is a tough choice, but in the end I decided to go with something that would contrast with the existing palette of colors used by my Templars. I figured some amount of yellow would stand out nicely and definitely look distinctive.

Originally, I was going to paint them as UM and just play them as portrayed in the fluff, but the blues I was looking at weren't enough of a contrast, then I saw that IF Primaris and it was all over but the <wallet> screaming.

So 20 gun totin' Primaris and a LT are inbound. I'll probably get a squad of the plasma/whatevers as well. Long term they'll be riding in their new brick.

Does anyone know if they can take drop pods?

Seeing as the Primaris have units that drop in from orbit without transports, we'll most likely see a new Flyer / Transport before some kind of revamped Drop Pod shuffles along for them. 

But then, who knows. GW could introduce a new drop pod for Primaris at Chrismas. We live in wild times. 

Logging the completion of my <unofficial> vow for the Challenge against the Dawn.

All of the initiates were new figures, some former IF I got from a friend in a trade, with a pretty solid base yellow on them. Not surprisingly, Templar black covers near anything. So they were chipped and scratched, then their boots had desert powders applied as part of my weatherization efforts on my crusade.

I thought it appropriate that Grimaldus also get up to speed as he faces the new challenges of 8th edition.

gallery_15184_7227_255466.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_315611.jpg

I'm looking forward to getting some kill markings on these guys before too long.

gallery_15184_7227_57836.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Honda

I figured some amount of yellow would stand out nicely and definitely look distinctive.

Originally, I was going to paint them as UM and just play them as portrayed in the fluff, but the blues I was looking at weren't enough of a contrast, then I saw that IF Primaris and it was all over but the <wallet> screaming.

Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards IF. Yellow will be a challenge but I think I'd like it better than blue & red. 

40kPriChaptersIF.jpg

The above scheme does a really good job of emphasizing the great lines in the new armor.

However, I am torn between these three options, which means that I'll probably do a squad of each.

gallery_15184_7227_33541.png

This is also very cool looking

gallery_15184_7227_38967.jpg

And then there's your bog standard IF livery, which I also like a lot, if only because I am also thinking of a Huscarls unit (ala "Praetorian of Dorn") and these guys would look good with black cloaks. Also there is mention of the Huscarls with burnished metal shoulder pads and I think that would look pretty cool as well.

gallery_15184_7227_144512.jpg

I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on my Primaris.

I've been slowly making progress on the last two members of Grimaldus command squad, Artarion and Cador. It's been a bit of struggle and I'm not sure why, but I am determined to Templar through it.

I find it rather annoying amusing how easily a few camera shots are able to humiliate humble me. I had thought I was pretty close to being done with them, but after looking at these pictures, I almost feel like I'm just beginning....so many things to tidy up, highlight. What I think this really points out is that my near vision is nowhere near what it once was and going forward, "decisions" will have to be made with my "magno-glasses" on.

"Time has come today", said the Chambers Brothers.

And now that effort begins...for the Primaris are on the horizon.

Anyway, my WIP pics. First up is Cador, weathering powder a tad too heavy.

gallery_15184_7227_178069.jpg

That Crux needs some serious highlighting. My lighting isn't that great, but seeing in a pic...it's just screaming at me.

gallery_15184_7227_89718.jpg

Metallics need highlighting

gallery_15184_7227_414962.jpg

And Artarion, with the banner still to come

gallery_15184_7227_366599.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_451558.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_713392.jpg

More later.

Also, our "Farewell to Seventh" game, i.e. the last game in our narrative track using 7th edition is scheduled for the 24th, so expect some story telling in the near future.

Cheers,

The circle of giants stood beneath a bloated mechanical spider, clad in ragged, red robes.

The spider's droning voice accompanied dim images spun by a multitude of spindly legs, each punctuated with several glassy eyes of pic projectors.

"...discovered anomalous readings during routine cartographic sweeps of the southern continent in land mass Io-639."

Continuing, "Note the appearance of a high plain descending into a valley. Now observe the discrepancies when overlain with contours from a follow on radiometric gamma survey. The scans indicate a significant density increase where there appears to be nothing but open terrain."

"Normally, this would be logged as a potential mapping error and corrected with smoothing algorithms...except for what turned out to be an extremely unusual set of circumstances taking place whilst the servitor cloud was assessing which algorithm to apply."

"Now look at the previous image with the updated radiometric gamma survey data."

A skull helmed figure growled, "The mapping contours have smoothed out. How is that possible? Are you informing us that there was an error Arch Magos?"

Clearly irritated, the Dominus Mechanicus replied in a high speed response cant clearly intended to overwhelm the information receiver with association memes.

"I am reporting data."

"It is clear that the data changed in between processing runs."

"The original reason we became interested in this planet is due to survey packets received from Explorator Fleet Mu-Zed: 0931.4248.22, indicating anomalous temporal distortions emanating from this planet."

"Our initial analysis runs could not reconcile the observed data distortions."

"These distortions are incapable of being generated by known and accepted astro-stellar mechanisms."

"This leads us to the conclusion that there is some other agent or methodology in effect."

"Having resolved the coordinates of the source of these emanations and distortions, we discover that the data has changed its behavior."

"Data behavior does not change by accidental means."

"Data can only change as a result of intervention."

"What that intervention may be is unknown."

"At this point in the analysis, mass spectrometry data inloads have not provided enough data to indicate a cause."

"Therefore-"

The skull adorned figure interrupted the Magos recital, "So...you found something you can't explain. You do not know what causes it. You don't know what it might be. And you called a Leadership Conclave for the purpose of...idle speculation?"

Clearly agitated by the direction the discussion was taking, the Arch Magos legs spun three images in quick succession while he blurted out, "This image is of a complex of buildings acquired by an infiltration servitor. They are clearly of Imperial design, yet somehow were masked by some means from high level data acquisition. Even now, the radiometric gamma scans infer that these structures are not present, despite the evidence to the contrary."

gallery_15184_7227_48346.jpg

"The second image shows two vehicles. Both of which are of a type used by Astartes forces."

"These two data points alone are enough to warrant a harsher inspection and accounting for the data and the intent to obfuscate."

"But this...", revealing the third image, "...is a clear indication of a heresy so damning that it is nearly beyond the realm of possibilities."

"That vehicle is of a xenos design and is clearly "parked" next to an Astartes vehicle. The center figure is of a physical stature common to Astartes and he is wearing battle plate only allowed to Astartes warriors. He certainly appears to be equipped for battle."

"The smaller figures to his left and right are clearly xenos warriors wielding weapon systems identified and matched to entries known to exist in xenos arms catalogues."

"Even you can agree that it appears that combat is not taking place, in fact, the figures appear to be conversing."

"Is that enough data for you?"

The skull helmed giant looked at the large warrior in burnished armor standing across from the projection.

"This blasphemy must end. Our prey is no longer pretending to be a representative of the Imperium, in fact they appear to have aligned themselves with a xenos breed. This behavior is unconscionable and cannot be tolerated any longer."

"I have just issued an Order Annihilatus."

"We depart within the hour."

Edited by Honda

The text is well written, Honda, but for the Black Templars Chaplain issuing an "Order Exterminatus." A traditional "Exterminatus" is orbital bombardment to destroy all life on the planet, in which case, the next order should be for the immediate evacuation of allied forces- NOT "We depart within the hour," presumably to infiltrate and/or assault the enemy positions.

May I suggest "Order Annihilatus" as an alternative?

• 2 weeks later...

The Helios Septa Campaign: A Farewell to Seventh, June 24, 2017

gallery_15184_7227_48346.jpg

Black Templars

gallery_15184_7227_156897.jpg

Grey Knights

gallery_15184_7227_801379.jpg

The November Warriors

gallery_15184_7227_943492.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_79925.jpg

Tau

gallery_15184_7227_733920.jpg