The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

Going through this thread has really inspired me to get back to Templars, which I think I'll do after I finish my current ETL vow!

ZEAL levels rising.....

That tells me the Templars were always in you, their ZEAL just had to be let out. We welcome you brother to the Eternal Crusade.

Quick update while I am figuring out what masking and painting I'll be doing in the next couple of days.

The red I'll be working with

gallery_15184_7227_964749.jpg

There's a pinkish reflection from the flash that isn't actually present and the red is a bit darker than what you see.

The Templar shoulder pads, one of which will bear some manner of Maltese cross

gallery_15184_7227_953149.jpg

The trim will be a weathered brass color, not bright, but a bit washed out.

Upper torsos and heads. The torsos still need their bright silver edge highlights, as well as detailing on things like the muzzle of the melta and some pipes. The heads need detailing as well, but not a whole lot as they'll be covered by their helms.

gallery_15184_7227_245458.jpg

Other bits with potential for red stuff on them

gallery_15184_7227_917414.jpg

And finally, the exhaust stacks. The lower metal piping still needs some light drybrush work and a little more depth in some of the recesses, but overall I like how the exhaust gas effect came out.

gallery_15184_7227_600011.jpg

ONWARDS BROTHERS, VICTORY AWAITS THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO FIGHT TO THE DEATH FOR IT!!!

Edited by Honda

So, we'll be getting some rain the next few days, making airbrushing more risky than it should be. By pushing through a few tasks, I was able to get these negative mask jobs done ahead of time, letting me focus on some more building.

For this task, I used regular home masking tape (Blue) and then some thinner widths of tape by Testors.

gallery_15184_7227_439347.jpg

Unfortunately, I haven't found any Maltese crosses, so I have to do it myself.

gallery_15184_7227_281970.jpg

And a shield

gallery_15184_7227_415016.jpg

A shoulder pad

gallery_15184_7227_183326.jpg

Sprayed with the base white

gallery_15184_7227_963738.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_429692.jpg

Results

gallery_15184_7227_874080.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_816071.jpg

Kinda what it will look like...

gallery_15184_7227_469030.jpg

Now you can see some paint bleed on the maskings. It's not a perfect process, but those items are fixable and so I'll get to those in a little bit. Overall, I like how they turned out and think my mental visualizations are starting to manifest and not look too bad.

ONWARDS!

Good job on the Knight's pauldrons. What's on the right one? Is it a campaign badge, a symbol of the Knight Scion's House, or...?

To be honest, I have no idea. :)

I didn't want the pauldron to be  plain white, so I just started fiddling with the tape and that's what I ended up with.

Paint the symbol on several Templars' kneepads, and you can claim it commemorates a victory over [insert enemy of the Imperium] at [insert strategic location]. The lines look like a bridge over a gorge- maybe one leading to a hive city whose inhabitants the Knight and the Templars saved, or a spaceport critical to Imperial war efforts on a certain planet. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Could also be a Necron structure taking a melta beam right through its structure :D You know who hates Necrons? Hint: High Marshal ;)

Considering the way the pauldron is mounted, the "Necron structure" and the ground (thick line) it hovers over, will be seen upside down. You might justify the "upside down Necron structure" if the structure was actually mounted on the VENTRAL SURFACE of a Necron WARSHIP, and the Knight marched out of a battle barge's transport bay to provide covering fire for the Templars conducting boarding actions against said Necron warship, e.g., when Helbrecht boarded the Inevitable Conqueror (flagship of Imotekh the Stormlord).

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Managed to get these bits built and painted. This ought to let me get into some serious construction in the next few days.

gallery_15184_7227_163351.jpg

ONWARDS!

Some heavy metal for you to look at.

I want an antique looking brass for my metallic rim work. I want it to look beaten, aged, scarred, weathered, anything but bog standard. There are a lot of ways to get there and I did experiment with some, but I like how these parts settled out.

I'm letting them sit for another day and then I'll resume.

gallery_15184_7227_365649.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_88977.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_724905.jpg

Cheers,

Looking good so far. From personal experience, I must admit that white are a brave choice of colour, but it pays off. But the real highlights are the worn metallics. While I'm not personally a fan of the shield, I must admit it's an interesting pick; vert fitting for a BT auxiliary/ally.

The weathering looks great! Are you going to add any verdigris patina to the Bronze areas?

I hadn't thought about that, but it seems like I ought  to look into that. I did get some of that verdigris effect paint from GW a couple of weeks back.

Hmm....interesting....

Some more experimentin'

gallery_15184_7227_337898.jpg

I use weathering powders for lots of different effect, but it looks like I'm going to use some Secret Miniatures Dark Earth to tone down my white and deepen the recesses.

I like how it turned out.

Cheers,

Which, after thinking about what I typed, is kind of the point of weathering I guess... :teehee:

Thank you that really cracked me up.

Ok, things are starting to come together and the end is in sight....which is good because July is going to be brutal schedule -wise.

A few things of note:

1. The shoulder pads are not attached yet. I need to start on the arms and they have to go on before.

2. This stage is still WIP, though I am getting closer.

3. Right now, they look like a pretty expensive way to get a Melta gun and a Stubber into action.

4. I jacked up the shield by putting too much weathering/aging on the white part, so I have to recover from that.

Plenty of time to do things twice. :wallbash:

Anyway, here we go...

gallery_15184_7227_550620.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_785828.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_55711.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_298145.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_177562.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_876557.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_911429.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_373486.jpg

ONWARDS!

It's an odd reference, but they have a pinkish tinge which reminds me of the Land Rovers the SAS drove around the desert in the Gulf War. Which in a way, was the 90s version of mounted knights fighting in the holy land, these are properly their descendants.

I think they look awesome.