The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

Nice work, I think the weathering works well even if it isn't what you were aiming for.

I'm less convinced about the grey sponsons and main gun. I think because the colour is limited to just the weapon mounts, but covers the whole mount, it doesn't look like a vehicle identification element nor like a spot colour. It kind of looks like the sponsons belong on a different vehicle, and I'm not sure changing the tone will fix that...

A grey stripe going around the sides and top of the tank, in line with the sponsons, I think would look really good. Kind of like these ideas (the last one is the best):

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/B-17-231503-bassingborne.jpg

http://www.mil.gov.ua/images/event/2014-04-02-13464-62831.jpg

http://www.tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/gb/MatildaII_MkII_7RTR_41.png

http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu133/RedCuffs/Naval%20Ground%20Combat%20Assets/48920840.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/guernsey/content/images/2008/09/11/spitfire_553a_470x352.jpg

Edited by Golf33

Nice work, I think the weathering works well even if it isn't what you were aiming for.

Yeah, it was one of those "cards dealt" moments. I was quite happy with the general unevenness of the paint as it gave it a very worn appearance, but it would be misleading to let anyone think that it was entirely planned that way. On the upside, I do have another technique in my toolbox. ;)

I'm less convinced about the grey sponsons and main gun. I think because

the colour is limited to just the weapon mounts, but covers the whole

mount, it doesn't look like a vehicle identification element nor like a

spot colour. It kind of looks like the sponsons belong on a different

vehicle, and I'm not sure changing the tone will fix that...

Yeah, this is still bugging me. The main gun I don't mind as that was intentional. Although it shows up grey in the photo, it has been lightly dry brushed with Boltgun and then the recesses black washed for definition. I'm Ok with that.

What I'm not happy about is the placement of the sponsons. This would have worked if I had put them in the middle. I am loathe to try and move them back, so I think the only realistic option is to look into what greggles suggested and find another set of sponsons and put them in the back position.

I think what annoys me the most is that I don't usually come up short in the conceptual phase, it's always not quite attaining the vision I had for something. Which is fine because that's what pushes me, better execution and to get as close to the idea as I can. Win some, get a draw sometimes. ;)

Anyway, I've a new vow to focus on, so I'll let this sit for awhile and revisit after ETL III is done.

There is more ZEAL to be unleashed.

Honda: Honestly I like it the way it is.  If you hadn't said anything I would have just thought that's how the model went together. It looks great! I really like the banners. I don't think they need to be in front.  You can even justify it in the fluff. Cannon's that big would likely produce large muzzle flashes and those could catch those awesome banners on fire ;)

Too bad you don't have something tucked away like a Stormwing formation or a Fire Raptor; I'm dying to see the latter in some templar colors.

Sigismund's Redoubt looks fabulous Honda, looking forward to vow 2!

Well it's not a Raptor, but its the same chassis. I'm putting the finishing touches on my Storm Eagle and will post pics of it later this weekend. 

Okey doke, quick update. There's a whole lot of masking going on, which is a paint in the neck. It is less of a pain than painting all those designs by hand. So the part in blue tape will remain black and the rest will become an off white. Weathering will happen.

Centurion Mantlets

gallery_15184_7227_535768.jpg

Big mantlets spawning little mantlets. It's just one big mantlet family.

gallery_15184_7227_557588.jpg

Now off to the airbrushinator...

ONWARDS BROTHERS, UNLEASH THE UNRELENTING ENGINE THAT IS YOUR ZEAL!!!

Just curious, how will the masked parts be black? Looks like they are grey atm?

It's a good question. The grey, as you point out, will become black as it is contrasted with the lighter grey. In the following pictures, there are no blacks on any of the models, yet the mind perceives a black/white scheme because of the degree of contrast between the two greys.

So, is it literally "black"? No. Does it look black? Yes, most of the time.

Also, I should point out that the dark grey is slightly washed out due to the ineffective equipment used by the remembrancer.

gallery_15184_7227_327764.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_541527.jpg

Now, to the un-tapening...

ZEAL!!!

They are so silly good with their new rules.

What they are is a whole lot of fun. That Magma cannon template really encourages the enemy to get out of the way. I used them not too long ago in a batrep a few pages back in a Vanguard Siege list. They can't carry a dread like the Storm Raven can, but they can sure deliver pain just about anywhere you want it.

I should note that I have not attempted to ram them into anything yet. :)

<Honda wishes he had kept his big mouth shut :dry.: >

The truth of the matter is that I've yet to have them in a game where ramming would have been beneficial <gee, that just sounds lame>. Ok, how about I've been waiting for the new Imperial Knight to come out so that I have something epic enough to ram <well, better, but still lacking ZEAL>. Um...right, I wanted to ram, really, I did, but whenever I put the Caestus on the table, my opponent's army ran off the board <sounds awesome, but everyone knows you're making that up. Try indignant>, Are you guys nuts? That Caestus and the terminator assault squad it's carrying are almost a 1000 points <well, that's more realistic, but it's still lame. Why don't you just ram something and call it a day>.

<Honda puts mike down and walks offstage>

As an templar (and ork player), there is no situation where ramming isn't benefical.

Unit of infantry? Ram them.

Another tank? Ram it.

Giant death bug dreadnought thing insulting your emperor? Ram it.

Another flyer? Ram it.

Flyer dodges you? Shoot it down, then ram it.

Nothing to ram? Ram the buildings.

No buildings? Ram the forest.

No forest? Ram the very ground the enemy would desecrate with his presence!

Edited by greggles

The Caestus Assault Ram is a sick unit both rules wise and visually.  The only ways they could be better (in my opinion) is if they had the option to take a demolisher cannon and could be taken as a dedicated transport. 

Seriously though Honda, ram the :censored: out of a knight or something equally awesome.  We're dying to see it in a battle report. 

Edited by The_Chaplain

A quick update..."the mantlets, released from their bonds, gather in force, looking for faces to bash in" <use Shatnerian delivery method>

gallery_15184_7227_110902.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_110902.jpg

The foot components are in progress and the ADL gun and Comms Relay are 70% complete.

ONWARDS BROTHERS!

also ZEAL, because a day without ZEAL, is like a day without sunshine.

@greggles: You owe me for a new keyboard.

Ok, so how does this ramming thing work, let's say against a ker-nigget of mighty stature? What's the process and potential results?

Note: I have one experience with ramming. My son's battle wagon (the bigger Ork job) rammed my Elysian Tauros Venator. Yeah, not good. However, he did not penetrate. We assumed that the Venator jumped onto his hood. I later drove off and got Linebreaker.

Hence my skepticism around the old ramerino, if you know what I mean and I think you do. ;)

Well normally a flyer cannot ram or be rammed but the Caestus allows that which is what makes it so good. The strength of the hit depends on some things. You get +1 for every 3" the vehicle moved, for a zooming Caestus that's at least 18" so 6. +1 for being a tank and +1 for each point of AV over 10 so that makes it an auto S10 hit. You roll on damage, if the vehicle blows up then the tank continues until it reaches the speed that you declared. You also take a hit in return so on an AV 12 flyer you'd take a S8 hit which the Caestus gets a 5+ invul on :D

The Caestus is a 13 on the front...well, I'm pretty sure of that. I verify that in a bit.

Ok, so that says what happens when the Caestus hits the knight. How is the hit back calculated? Same way? Is knight hit a D hit? How would that be calculated?

It's a Super-Heavy Walker. So afaik, it'd work out like Ace said. :biggrin.: Do make sure to ram the Knight in the correct angle.:tongue.:  directional Invuls.....:down:

Edited by Andhil

Ramming takes place during the movement phase. Knight only gets invuln vs shooting :smile.:.

Be glad that battle wagon didn't have a deff rolla! Deff rolla's give them D6 Str 10 hits in addition to the ramming hit!

Hmmm... That's actually a tough call. The Shields are up when you ram it, but it doesn't work vs. CC attacks (nothing explicitly mentioned about only vs. Shooting, really.). So the question is: Is Ramming a CC attack? (My money is on: Yes!) 

Following Ace's calculations: Ramming the Knight with the Caestus would result in a Str10 hit against the Knight and a Str9 hit against the Caestus.