Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Jonathan Frakes from Star Trek: Next Generation (or before I had to look up his actual name... #2)

Another good guess (and an idea for a future drawing) but again, no. Good guess though!

Think fantasy rather than sci-fi :D

Should have some pics up late tomorrow night guys

Edited by The_Chaplain

Good stuff mate, looking forward to seeing these projects when completed.

Thanks brother.

derek jacobi ?underworld

No, but again a nice guess (and another awesome idea for a later work).

Well, due to unforseen circumstances, I was unable to take photos with the mrs.' camera last night- so, let this post be a potential placeholder for some pics taken today on my crappy phone, with some better pics coming friday/saturday courtesy of the half in this relationship with actual photography talent -_-.

Sorry again for the delay guys, but :P: happens!

++EDIT++Speaking of :cuss, I hate this phone. Looks like camera pics off of this dinosaur won't be happening right now/today.

Edited by The_Chaplain

Been a crazy couple of days, today included. Will have pics up in the morning of stuff I'm working on, so consider this a placeholder post.

So, in line with crazy circumstances- I won first place in a space marine painting contest held at the reoopening of my Games Workshop location today, beating out some really pro painters- how that happened I have no idea, but the first debut of the Confessors and their bone color scheme was pretty well received by all. My mini is the one on the far left. Thought for sure the blood angel was going to win, but the Emperor works in mysterious ways.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/417674_250983311685437_1641956075_n.jpg

Like I said, tomorrow more pics should be up. Sadly, it will probably be my last update for a while, as I'm out of funds and until I get a job I can't exactly track down bits for conversion work.

Well i was going to say Ian holm when he played ash in alien but now i will guess at Bernard hill who played theoden in lotr . Which also featured Sean Austin who was in goonies with cory feldman who was in the burbs with tom hanks who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin bacon! Ta daa ! I should explain that there is a game where you link any actor from any film to Kevin bacon in as few moves as possible if that last bit seemed a bit random!

Well i was going to say Ian holm when he played ash in alien but now i will guess at Bernard hill who played theoden in lotr . Which also featured Sean Austin who was in goonies with cory feldman who was in the burbs with tom hanks who was in Apollo 13 with Kevin bacon! Ta daa ! I should explain that there is a game where you link any actor from any film to Kevin bacon in as few moves as possible if that last bit seemed a bit random!

6 degrees of separation is the name of the game. Also, you are correct- Bernard Hill is who inspired the drawing of the captain, so you are the winner! ;)

To quote Mr Simpson woo hoo ! I believe my prize is to name your captain, but he is your creation so you must make the final choice but i will give you three options to choose from based on Russian surnames. 1) Gagarin as he was the most famous space Russian 2)+3) I support Everton so two Russians who have played for us Kanchelskis and Bilyaledinov. I like this thread as you take as much time as possible to explain the thought processes behind each decision which to me is as inspirational as all the pictures. Keep up the great work

Okay, a couple pictures as promised (just a little later than initially thought ;) )

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/197/7/9/painting_begins_by_emo_catboy-d57gept.jpg

Painting began on the chaplain sarcophagus, only to be quickly halted by the damn arch "fix" cracking and falling off. As others have suggested, gonna stop trying greenstuff for the solution, snag some milliput and fix it with that- and touching up the areas as need be.

The gold, a 50/50 mix of tamiya gold leaf and shining gold from GW was put over an initial layer of snakebite leather, to help it "pop". When the time comes, I want to give it a chestnut ink wash and bring up the color again to really make it sing and pick up all the intricate detailing.

The bone color is still basecoat, the color is Army painter's "skelton bone" color primer- considerably darker than GW's "bleached bone", which i will use sparingly as a highlight after a devlan mud wash.

I'm going to see about doing some carbon scoring on the backpack exhaust vents, as well as some smoke plumes using pillow innards. Should look snazzy if I can pull it off.

Next up, the proof of concept for my captain androcles counts as' combi melta:

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/197/1/e/combi_melta_process_by_emo_catboy-d57gewq.jpg

base for the gun is the space marine commander box combi melta- with the original melta barrel being replaced with the melta barrel from an Iron Warriors meltagun after some butchering. What I want to do is file/chop/hack the bar on top of the gun (indicated in red), before installing a sort of omni scope using a scout sniper binocular bit and some other gubbins so that the scope lens' are actually connected to the skull's eyes, giving an interesting function for the grim aesthetic form.

I intend to give the gun a drum barrel (drawn via MS Paint in white), but was left without an ejection port for the shell casings- so, I cut some off of a godwyn pattern bolter and put them on the flat panel on the gun above the grip. The join looks a little sloppy (in my mind anyway), so I'll wind up putting some purity seals there to cover up my handiwork.

I believe my prize is to name your captain, but he is your creation so you must make the final choice but i will give you three options to choose from based on Russian surnames. 1) Gagarin as he was the most famous space Russian 2)+3) I support Everton so two Russians who have played for us Kanchelskis and Bilyaledinov. I like this thread as you take as much time as possible to explain the thought processes behind each decision which to me is as inspirational as all the pictures. Keep up the great work.

You also get to pick out the motif for his coat of arms, and if you want me to- I will do a full body drawing of the captain and mail it to you. Might go a little crazy and try to emulate something like a woodcut art style, who knows. I did what came naturally to me in terms of choices when presented with your name options, and rolled some dice (1-33, 34-66, 67-99, 100 roll again); so Captain Kanchelskis has joined the ranks of the Confessors as of today!

I'm glad you're enjoying the method behind my madness ratboy; I think it's important to sometimes give some inkling as to what goes through a creator's mind as they work on a project. I've seen many a blog where all the person does is upload photos, and as such, no real connection is ever made outside of "oo, pretty pictures".

Gonna try and get some more work done gang, but as I said, finances are practically non existent at present, so it remains to be seen how I will move past this hurdle.

Until next time! (And to blatantly quote Stan Lee) Excelsior!

Okay for the coat of arms im thinking bear as 1) i support the Chicago bears and 2) they are also very soviet animals. Don't worry about the artwork as i live in England and it would cost you money to send it but a photo on your blog would be appreciated. All i hope for now is that captain Kanchelskis doesn't turn out to be a double 1rolling buffoon who wanders round the tabletop until he trips on his own bolter strap and shoots himself!

Okay for the coat of arms im thinking bear as 1) i support the Chicago bears and 2) they are also very soviet animals. Don't worry about the artwork as i live in England and it would cost you money to send it but a photo on your blog would be appreciated. All i hope for now is that captain Kanchelskis doesn't turn out to be a double 1rolling buffoon who wanders round the tabletop until he trips on his own bolter strap and shoots himself!

A bear? Yeah I can work out something with that in mind. Heh, when the time comes, I hope I won't be rolling many ones either!

Thanks for supporting the blog brother!

• 2 weeks later...

So while I've been waiting the last couple days to hear back from a potential job in regards to a job interview next week, I've been stripping some vindicators that I had lying around. No sense in not working on your army as a whole when you've encountered a roadblock, right?

Wrong, apparently. So as I'm sitting outside spraying the newly stripped vindis, the powers at be thought it would be grand if they broke the lawn chair I was sitting on, sending models, paint and me crashing to the ground! :eek

So, I now have broken tank treads, dirt and debris in the wet primed tanks, a broken nozzle and valve on my spray primer, and a nasty cut on my leg after removing jagged plastic chair remains from it.

Anyone mind telling me how I can repair a broken valve on a spray can and/or point me in the direction to order some new tracks for the vindis?

Assistance in this matter would be fantastic. The emperor was clearly not with me today.

• 1 month later...

So, a little over a month has passed since I last updated this hobby blog- but what a crazy month it has been! I got sick for several weeks with can only be considered some kind of virulent, nurgle like plague; followed by a nasty fall in my driveway after our dog knocked me over- setting about a chain of events which would result in a trip to the emergency room for excruciating pain followed by oral surgery and copious amounts of pain medications. Around the same time, one of my cats got on my hobby desk and knocked some of my models around. I didn't realize my workspace needed catproofing, but that error in judgement has since been corrected. I also had to blow about $1200 bucks getting my car fixed after someone tried to take me to the cleaners after a very minor accident in a parking lot... :lol: But all that is behind me now, thank the emperor, and in the somewhat normal days that have followed- I'm back at the hobby desk while I wait for jobs to get back to me regarding my application.

So for now, a text based update for what I have accomplished since the last update!

First of all, I got my hands on the Dark Vengeance set: my friend felt sorry for all the recent trouble I have been having, so he bought me a limited DV set as an early birthday present. It was a very kind gesture on his part, so in the following weeks and months I'm going to put that gift to good use- converting the models to use in this budding DIY chapter.

I got my hands on some milliput finally, and fixed the broken arch on the chaplain dreadnought's sarcophagus. The greenstuff vestments, and the backpack were broken off when i found poor old chappy on the floor in the aforementioned cattastrophe- and have since been replaced with a ven. dread powerplant, which I'm debating trying to replicate the dark vengeance chaplain smoke effects on. The vestments are being replaced with actual cloth, and the staples? actual staples- cut to fit, and being placed into the resin in strategically placed drill holes. I've downloaded some 40k papercraft so I can scratchbuild some interesting shinies using the templates as a cutting guide for plasticard.

I paint stripped 2 vindicators, and fixed the broken spray applicator nozzle- they will be 2 of the three vindies in an apocalypse formation dubbed "Ultima Imperator Ratio" (The last argument of the Emperor), a fitting name if I do say so myself.

I began greenstuffing a beard and hair on to an old metal head I had for the future Kenchelskis conversion, I'm impressed with the results so far, and hopefully when I get pictures up, you will be too.

The limited edition web sergeant needed for the captain androcles counts as arrived- so after he's been casted, I'll attempt the join between that model and the Sicarius torso I have around.

In terms of Dark Vengeance- I have successfully removed all of the dark angel icons off of the three ravenwing bikers and am about 50% done between the chaplain and librarian. Plans for them include: replacing the infamous "bib" on the librarian with an expanded psychic hood/psychic gorget armor. The daggers on the chaplain will be replaced with scrolls and his plasma pistol will be swapped for a combi flamer. The ravenwing bike tire armor will have some sort of detail put on them where the ravenwing icons used to be, and those 3 models will serve as the beginning of a bike command squad for Kenchelskis.

Hundreds of ideas floating through my head, gotta start pulling them into this reality before they flutter off like some muse like fairy.

• 5 months later...

Wow, I don't even know where to begin in terms of how i got side tracked from 40k for a while.  Between health issues, a serious bout with depression, family and interpersonal relationship drama, the fruitless job searching, etc.  It's easy to lose track of things.

But I'm back! I've started sitting down at the hobby table again, and working on stuff- and I have Greyall's DIY chapter contest in his "clever girl" hall of honor thread to thank for that.  I seem to be happy when I'm busy, and what keeps you busier than building and converting little plastic soldiers?

So for your perusal today, I have some WIPs to show I havent been completely idle, and then I'll provide a little blurb about other projects I'm working on that I didn't have time to photograph-- had to deal with the fiance's insurance company, she had an accident this week and getting it all sorted out took some time.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8487912882_4f3d2e3d69.jpg

Okay, what the heck is this? You're asking.  This is the backpack from the new asmodai kit- and as you can see, removing the dark angels icon has left some scarring on the top of the backpack.  I'd really like some feedback as to what I can stick on there to cover it up.  This backpack will be going onto the Ivanus Enkomi upper torso with this model's head and legs-- which are going to be cut and repositioned to go on a new bike I got with the DA ravenwing command squad box.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8239/8487942770_b103d3e7b2.jpg

As it stands, this is the chaplains bike.  I'm going to try and replace the burly looking angel on the front faring with something more skeletal, and see about adding some more bits for a minister of war riding around the battlefield feel.  The reliquary is from the ravenwing box, and looks like the kind of tabernacle you'd expect to find on a chaplain bike- whether or not I go through with the idea to add a stain glass insert behind the skull remains to be seen.

But isn't that reliquary used to prop up the angels and the iron halo bit in the box?  Normally yes, but I'm working on a st. celestine/sanguinor holding mechanism on a backpack for a bike captain- who will lead the bike command squad I'm working on.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8486863203_a6397ac0a8.jpg

THIS is the WIP of the future captain's bike.  The lower legs will be replaced with those of the Ortan Cassius model (and Cassiu's combi-flamer will go on a chaplain seraphicus body from dark vengeance for a 9th "devastator" company chaplain project, but that is a story for another update).  The captain's upper body will be the company champion back from the DA box, the custom halo (which may have an insert, if I can manage it right), a black templar torso front (with the skull purity strips and the gorgeous gorget armor), and some pauldron work.  

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8089/8487967956_d7ce4125e5.jpg

What's a command squad without a banner bearer?  Well, here is his humble beginning!  The torso is from the dark vengeance plasma cannon bearer, arms are ravenwing command squad box.  The plan is to get my hands on a second enkomi crozius and cast it, so that I can use gilded/metallic spinal column as the banner pole, and work on establishing my DIY's morbid theme.  Where the hand is gripping the pole has actually been replaced with the bottom checkered grip from the chaos terminator lord/sorcerer box- as I would imagine it would have a firmer grip than straight pole- much akin to a walnut grip on a pistol.  As for the banner itself- I'm in need of visual feedback and ideas- but right now, i'm thinking I might actually break out the sewing needles and make it from cloth I have lying around.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8525/8486826039_fc539e4801.jpg

Here is an apothecary for the bike command squad I'm working on.  The chainsword arm has been replaced with the ravenwing box narthecium & reductor, as has the stock backpack.  Little bits and embellishments have been added.  I figured an apothecary would probably have some of the worst scars out of a space marine chapter- as he is a superhuman combat medic, driving through incoming fire to get to the wounded.  So, I gave him burn scarring straight out of a nightmare on elm street movie. The macro lens really shows it in detail- but with the right blend of paint; with pale flesh tones and subtle purples and reds, it should be a real show stopper- and set it apart.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8370/8486909653_9ceff32411.jpg

So here is the apothecary's bike from the front mantle.  As you can see I removed the ravenwing icon from the tire area, as well as on the bolters on the faring.  What's left is some scarring (It looks a lot smoother and less noticeable in person, the macro lens makes every small imperfection look glaring).  Still, I need to cover it- any suggestions on what I should place on the tire mounts to cover them up?

Okay, this is a lot of photos for one post- so gonna stop here, and make a second post!

Okay, like I said- too many pictures for just one post!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8101/8488004850_8631da5633.jpg

So I didn't like how the dark vengeance bikers didn't have exhausts on their mufflers- and noticed that the ravenwing command squad box did, even having some spare.  So as you can see on the left the apothecary conversion bike- I tried to cut to fit the spares on one side, and used instant mold and greenstuff to mold the other half.  The spares were a pain in the butt to cut, so I had to improvise.  They aren't angled like the ravenwing command box's muffler vents are- they lie flat.  But I don't think they look too shabby.  Should I go through this process on the other two DV bikes, or should I invest in some plastic tubing and try to emulate the angled muffler vent from the RW box?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8094/8486932125_bf7f25ee06.jpg

So, the DV bikers obviously had da winged sword icons on the chest, and I couldn't keep those on the model in good conscious.  So, I replaced it with a quick mold of a skeleton from a LotD<?> model.  The edges aren't the cleanest, so I may sculpt or place some purity seals on it to get it looking pretty.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8233/8488030966_2d21c812c7.jpg

Here is the sculpting in process of the hair and beard on captain kalcheskis- As proud as I am of the sculpting atm, I might drop this head if I can find a suitable finecast one- and even then I might put a rebreather mask on him just because I want to keep that motif from my DIY IA article.  Any suggestions for a suitable head, even if I have to eventually resin cast it?

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8382/8486947571_85a2f41051.jpg

Last WIP picture for today is the DV librarian.  Added a chain to his book. and gave him severin loth's backpack.  Still to do is add some words of power to his rather dull horned skull shoulderpad, sculpt a chapter symbol on him somewhere, find a suitable gorget to replace that heinous bib (probably gonna use another BT chest and add some guitar wire so it is another component of the psychic hood) and figure out something to do with his force choke hand.

Other projects I am working on:

Artwork has been done of the dreadnought evagrius, which I will be posting soon- and I'm working on Kelcheskis' full body portrait for brother Ratboy, thanks for being patient man.

I got a storm talon for my birthday (in october), and have essentially built it up.  Sadly I've lost some parts- BUT I'm gonna make lemonade out of the situation and see if I can get some landspeeder vengeance, dark talon and other bits to spruce it up.  

Need to wrap my head around a conversion of the DV bolt pistol biker to a company champion- so any help/input on that would be awesome.  I want to avoid the roman ultramarine vibe as much as possible.

My fiance ordered me (among other things) a gabriel seth finecast model- for a conversion of seth to emperor's champion, in case I want to ally or do some BT showcase models.  Have some ideas for that one that I think you all will be impressed with.

Thanks for looking guys, looking forward to your comments, feedback, etc.  It's good to get back in the saddle- I think I've let little stuff bog me down too much, and it's time to move on.  We have to accept the bad when it happens, and we need to celebrate the little victories in life.

On that note, I end today's posting with something positive: I fell into a rut with the depression and started smoking again BUT, I am happy to say- with the love and support of family and friends- I haven't touched a proverbial "coffin nail" in 5 days, and it's looking like i can kick the habit for good this time.  A fitting valentine's present to my partner if ever there was one (the chocolate wasn't a bad idea either).

Until next update- keep the faith brothers.

--Chaplain

Glad to hear things are looking up for you :smile.:

Love the work you've done since I last commented and am looking forward to seeing everything come to fruition.

Thanks Razblood,  I'll try and get enough work done this week to justify another update.  There are a lot of good WIP threads on the front page, wouldn't surprise me in the least if I get swept under the rug quickly, haha.  Still, thanks for the feedback man!

Bah, freaking hands smell like black licorice now- I wish simple green didn't stink as bad as it does!

Edited by The_Chaplain

Okay, small update today and some news:

As promised, here was the chaplain dreadnought sketch I had completed, with more sketches of other characters coming next weekend.

So, as I'm stripping off the paint from the chaplain dreadnought torso, to once again get everything fixed and looking right before I move to the bottom half of the model (and then the arms, whoo); I get the idea to draw out what I have envisioned for the end product.  Everything looks good in your mind where it's nebulous and the clarity of your vision seems bright- it's another matter entirely articulating it onto paper- details that make sense in your mind don't work in reality.

So, what will be the conversion for the dreadnought will, in essence, be a hybridization of a chaplain dreadnought, with some of the gubbins strategically removed and reupholstered from a Black Templars dreadnought, which I'm going to treat myself to when I land a job and the paychecks start rolling in.  To cover some imperfections in the many incarnations, accidents, etc. this chaplain dread has endured in life, I will be making some catholic style confessional vestments- like the stole, and the cope clasp, which will be placed on the circle on the torso instead of the molded chaplain crozius (which has somehow broken off, AND melted in simple green, go figure.)

One detail that really stuck out in my mind is adding some chimney stove like toppers on the exhaust vents, if for no other reason than to make the chassis look that much more venerable and antiquated.  The problem with that is, finding either a model I can hack them off of, or learning how to make them on my own.   

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8104/8504166530_7c50225fae.jpg

Once it got scanned, I didn't think the drawing was too shabby, not exactly professional level though, by any stretch.

Any ideas on what I can use to make the cope clasp?  It needs to be sufficiently large, so a standard doodad from a commander box won't exactly cut it I think. Unfortunately the skull encrusted halo that normally comes with the model has broken at some point, and like an idiot I likely tossed it rather than attempt to fix it (ah the indiscretions of youth, how aggravating they are in retrospect as an adult).  Do you think a chapter hero's dreadnought really needs it or is it ornate as is?  If the former, I'm gonna have to scratchbuild one- which should be both challenging and potentially a lot of fun, as I can go nuts.

As always, C&C is welcome, and appreciated!

As for news: I got my gabriel seth model, chaplain model and cassius model in the mail from GW this week, a belated valentine's gift from the mrs.  Unfortunately, all 3 models had various imperfections ranging from "meh" to "why the :censored:: would they package that?" So, 2 of the 3 models need to be resent to my house.  But, I am determined to make lemonade out of these lemons, and do some "test runs" on the imperfect models so that the actual conversions will be that much better, and smoother.

That said, I expect to get an update on the unseen seraphicus to devastator company chaplain this upcoming week(end); if nothing else.  So, stay tuned and thanks for looking! 
Edited by The_Chaplain

Greetings and salutations once again brothers!

This week's update has sort of a sombre feel, as my grandmother's 10+ year bout with dementia has mercifully ended this week- she passed away this week, drifting to the great beyond peacefully in her sleep.  I can't say I was really close to her, her abrasive personality in the years I knew her, bordering on a hatred of both my mother, my sibling and I were subjected to; and repeated news of her declining mental state in her last years made it difficult to really get to know her. Can you really say you knew someone when they struggled with the beginnings of madness when you were old enough to remember meeting them?  Still, she impacted my family's life in her own way- and it's profound how news of a loss can manage to slow you down and make you reflect on things like mortality.

In some, ironic way, I could really only work on more death oriented things this week, even before this shocking bit of family news- traps and monster encounters for a D&D group I'm putting together, and of course some chaplains and other 40k related things.  So, with that long prelude over with, let's see some pictures- that's why you clicked isn't it?

Okay, first up is a quick progress shot on the captain on bike-  in a previous update you saw that I used the new ravenwing command box set to build him up. using the robed legs for the base.  Well, those greaves have come and gone, being replaced with...

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8392/8523836539_646c7c7353_c.jpg

Chaplain Cassius' greaves! Here's the other greave after some butcher, I mean, converting:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8524/8524981270_ac4136d1e9_c.jpg

Still to do (for the legs):  I need to resculpt some of the robe and make them smooth fabric, as they got a little marred in the removal of the greave.  I need to pin them nice and tight and do some gap filling.  I need to put on the feet (which conveniently I have thanks to the ravenwing bike box, in the same style of the cassius model).  I purchased some plastic piping in various sizes- so I will probably cut to fit some pieces on these biker conversions for some soft armor.  I don't know if I will sculpt some traditional soft armor, or greenstuff/milliput some chain link leggings for a more knightly feel.  Thoughts?

Next up are two never before seen projects, and a reimagining of an old one!

First up on the docket is a gabriel seth to emperor's champion WIP:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8375/8524999090_9084e9c064_c.jpg

Here is the front shot of the champion- the head has been removed (for the most part) and will be replaced with a sevrin loth honor guard head, kept at the same shouting bare headed angle.  The chest detailing has been removed and will be replaced with something more ornate.  I will see about dremelling out the sanguinary guard style chest plating and replacing it with guitar wire of appropriate thickness.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8093/8525013234_dba22af283_c.jpg

The right shoulderpad, has some airholes and stuff in the pad that needs filling.  This will be the pad that gets a crusade badge in the circle inset, debating adding an iron halo or laurely around the inset.  Currently working on a join for the L arm from gabriel seth.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8236/8523908863_e374dd224b_c.jpg

The left shoulderpad, like the right pad needs some filling work.  This will have the chapter symbol in the inlet circle.  Again, working on the join with the arm to have seth's signature pose-- although the chainsword will be replaced with the Emperor's champion sword!

For those with a keen eye for detail, you can see that the kneepads had their insignia filed off- and there is a reason for that:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8235/8523917091_59017f6b5e_z.jpg

These are moldings I did of the "master of the armoury's" kneepads- in milliput!  I will cut them down and put them in place, gap fill, sculpt, etc. as needed.  I chose milliput because it is a lot more durable than greenstuff- and as such, should withstand the stresses of pinning over greenstuff.  The end result should be a lot more reminiscent of artificer/antiquated armor than the boring seth kneepads that came with the model.  

Okay, 2nd post incoming for the next batch of pics.

Next is the previously mentioned but never pictured devastator chaplain model.  I didn't get as much work done on him this week that I would have liked- but my muse of inspiration pulled me elsewhere.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8365/8523937803_c399157cb8_c.jpg

All I got done really was an arm transplant on him this week, and some work on removing the DA icon off the back of the cloak.  The latter still isn't finished, but should be done this week.  Plans for this shoulder are to fill in the ultramarines U to make a shield, and affix a chapter symbol on there.  I am at a complete loss as to what should go on the other shoulderpad, as I am not a fan of Seraphicus' buck toothed skull pad at all.  Hopefully I can figure that out this week.  Then it is a matter of replacing the daggers from the front tabard with skull casings or leg bones, and making a cast of seraphicus' skull mask and cutting it to fit on the rebreather from the SM commander box head.

I started this thread with a chaplain conversion based off of Ivanus enkomi- and I was just not happy with it.  So, the fruits of my labor this week were primarily spent on converting this bad boy into something I would really enjoy having as a display piece and potential use in game.  So, here is a reimagining of sorts- the first WIP of Chaplain Halford, inheritor of Evagrius' armor!

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8090/8525069044_17b4282032_c.jpg

The upper body is from Ivanus Enkomi, with the bull's head shaved off the sternum section of the rib cage armor.  It's been replaced with a skeleton from the "chaplain with skull helm" model (shouldn't all chaplains have a skull helmet/mask by definition?), as is the head- which was originally metal, but replaced with resin for ease of painting later.  The skeleton on the chest will be a rosarius when I am done with it, hanging from a chain I'm currently sculpting.

The belt area is from the chaplain with skull helm model, as are the greaves (well, only one is pictured but both will be present on the end model).  The thigh armor is from the ravenwing command box.  I will have to use pipe for the second thigh plate.  The backpack is from the new asmodai, and I think it looks pretty spiffy.

Here he is, perilously perched on his bike, so you can get a feel for what he'll look like in the end:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8231/8523978433_e45f8cfabb_b.jpg

Fight undying and eternal, wheels bring death and pain infernal!  Honour bound in strength repleated, To no end they're undefeated! Hellrider! 

So that just about wraps up this week- hopefully I can get more pictures up next week between some artwork and the ever growing mountain of projects, I've got my work cut out for me.  Thanks again for looking- comments, criticism, etc. are always welcome and appreciated.  Hope you all enjoy what's left of the weekend.

Where do I even begin? The art piece of captain kanchelskis? Cat knocked my cup of coffee onto it, shortly after I inked it. The result? ruined! The milliput kneepads for the emperor's champion? all horribly brittle and none survived the attempted surgery, so now I have to track down a suitable model to get replacements as the knees were filed flat for the surgery.  I'm still stuck on how to make a full blown rosarius necklace on chaplain halford.

My only consolation this week is that I have made a tiny bit of progress in fixing the chaplain dreadnoughts old busted legs- but I can't even be sure of that because the pin job may not, and probably will not hold knowing my freaking string of bad luck this week.  Regardless, it isn't enough to warrant an update this weekend, not in my mind anyway.  Seriously brothers (and sisters), my "faith" or "zeal" whichever you prefer is showing signs of waning.  

Sorry to disappoint folks, the winds just been ripped out of my sails, and unless things start cooperating I can't be sure when the next update will be. I'm probably just talking to myself at this point, but wanted to let anybody who still follows this blog what's up.  Thanks for looking.

Hey things happen  about an hour ago i dropped afigure case that was't locked  and 40 terms are in a bad way. like I said things happen .

You know what? Thank you.  I mean that sincerely, it's amazing what a simple comment on the internet can do- it's just a series of minor setbacks, you're right- I shouldn't let that get to me. It's probably just my frustrations about making certain arrangements with the family in regards to certain recent news that's manifesting itself and tripping me up.  After taking a break for a couple hours, it just seems absolutely trivial to get mad at plastic/resin.   

Thanks for the reality check deathspecter, I needed it- Tomorrow's another day, and an opportunity to fix today's mistakes.

On a completely tangential note- I'm noticing the front page has a lot of voting threads.  Maybe I need to do some kinda vote to get the comments rolling in... but what the hell would I have a vote on?

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 5 months later...

Greetings B&C, long time no update!

I've spent the last couple months getting some things in my life together; family issues, job hunting (still no luck there), working out, etc. and finally weaning myself off of cigarettes and onto "the patch". It's been a weird couple of months, and to be honest the idea of sitting down to work on models just made me frustrated; so I decided to take a break.

Now that things are starting to die down, and I feel more focused, I feel like I can get some work done.  So, here's a peak at what I've been doing since I sat back down at the hobby table.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/9480739833_5559224837_b.jpg

So keeping in line with the display projects, here is the beginnings of the company champion for the bike command squad. The bike itself is the standard "vanilla" bike, The headlight faring is a combination of the ravenwing command squad faring and the standard bike faring.  I still need to fill the seam with greenstuff and sand it into a smooth surface obviously, but I think it makes for a convincing mashup of the two.  I have to order a new set of bike bolters, I ruined the other one trying to cut it to fit in the plasma talon slot of just the rvcs faring, haha.

I had to cut the loin cloth, off of his torso, rather than replace it with greenstuff (because I'd mess it up horribly), I'm gonna see about making one out of cloth or fake leather and attach it after I've painted him up.  The sword arm is actually a combination of the dark vengeance sergeant and the command squad power sword arm.  That way I was able to position it properly off to the side instead of awkwardly to the front.  I havent figured out how to model his wysiwyg combat shield yet, so I'm open to suggestions!

Here's a sideshot of the same champion: 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7385/9480744649_17b6905919_b.jpg

The banner pole is from the ravenwing command squad box, cut to fit on the bike by shaving down the underside.  What I would eventually like to do on all these banner poles is affix 28mm skeletons (which wont be from the gw fantasy range, but a more anatomically correct, properly scaled 3rd party producer), complete with parchment, gilding, gems, etc, not unlike some churches in places like germany and the czech republic (notably the asamkirche, and the sedlec ossuary respectively). 

I want to add some kind of detailing to both his legs, and the front tire mount, but at present I am at a loss for both. Suggestions are welcome!

I managed to get some more work done on my bike mounted chaplain: 

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7364/9483524556_ce69b852a7_h.jpg

The arm handling the handlebar is pretty firmly attached, borrowed a neighbor's table vice to keep it in place. The legs are also in place now, so all that remains for the primary body construction is affixing the powerfist/crozius hand, attaching feet (gonna see about snagging a cheap legion of the damned sergeant at some point for the skeletal toe boots for a tie in with the anatomical skull helm and chest piece); and then moving onto overall detail work.

here's the other side at present:

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3680/9483488942_2abe5e3ea0_b.jpg

Gap filling remains where the joints connect, but that's somewhat trivial. I took the radial antennae from the space marine bike I purchased for the company champion, and cut it to fit on the handlebar endcap. Inspiration for that came from sammaels speeder, but I think if anyone should have skulls everywhere on their ride, it'd be a chaplain! (gonna order another one for symmetry) You can see the dark angel iconography was shaved off of the front wheel well, and Im in the process of figuring out how to make a proper reliquary to stick on them.  The reliquary in the back (from the ravenwing command squad) is going to get a stained glass backsplash, likely on some clear, acetate style sheeting.  Depending on how the company champions headlight faring turns out, I may do something similar: combining the oop metal chaplain bike faring with a ravenwing command squad one.  Hopefully I can track down that chaplain faring for a reasonable price.

So much to do, but I have renewed vigor to accomplish it all in! Comments and critiques welcomed and appreciated! Feels good to be back in the saddle!

Edited by The_Chaplain