Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

Been a couple years since I've played 40k, or even modeled anything. I came back to the B&C and saw Maverick Prime's conversion challenge and thought to myself: now that's a capital idea- and a heck of a way to get back into the hobby. A supply runs and hours at the table later and I remember how hard conversion work is. But I digress, here are some extremely work in progress shots of my chaplain for the "Litanies and Legends" conversion challenge. Comments, critique and criticism are encouraged and appreciated. med_gallery_20768_7281_13185.jpg The base model is Ivanus Enkomi of the Minotaurs chapter from the Forge World model company. The head has been replaced with a metal chaplain helmet, the feet will be replaced with the armored boots from the same chopped up metal model. The minotaur/bull head on the chest has been shaved down and slightly green stuffed to resemble a human sternum (figured I might as well considering the chest armor is modeled after a rib cage). med_gallery_20768_7281_41300.jpg A side image of the chaplain conversion work in progress. Just a small detail to note but I green stuffed on a small squareish carpenter style nail into the purity seal. Wax can only adhere to a surface so well, especially something like armor- having it physically nailed into the surface of the armor makes a little more sense in my opinion. According to my fianc Edited by The_Chaplain

Now that's looking mightily impressive - and kudos for having the guts to hack up a FW model. I always reckon I spend too much on them to do that!

As for the pictures, you could always upload them to your gallery here on the B&C instead, everyone has one after all.

Now that's looking mightily impressive - and kudos for having the guts to hack up a FW model. I always reckon I spend too much on them to do that!

As for the pictures, you could always upload them to your gallery here on the B&C instead, everyone has one after all.

Ah, I might just do that- thanks for the suggestion. Yeah, I figured if I'm getting back into things I might as well do something big and ambitious. I actually got him for pretty cheap off of a bits site- minus his head and cape, so decided why not personalize it?

Where is that head from?

So far I really like it, looks like it coming along nicely. Never thought of getting a Deviant Art account for my models... Maybe I will now.

Welcome back Chap. It's looking fantastic so far. How about extending the skeleton theme and maybe try molding some bones for the legs/arms? LOtD style chaplain. Just a thought. Whatever you end up doing I'm definately looking forward to seeing mo fo sho.

Welcome back Chap. It's looking fantastic so far. How about extending the skeleton theme and maybe try molding some bones for the legs/arms? LOtD style chaplain. Just a thought. Whatever you end up doing I'm definately looking forward to seeing mo fo sho.

I was actually thinking of doing some more bone work- but where exactly is a secret, for now. :( Thanks, glad to be back.

I was actually thinking of doing some more bone work- but where exactly is a secret, for now. ;) Thanks, glad to be back.

pervert :(

in keeping with the theme of skeletons and wings have you considered using cyphers backpack for this guy?

in keeping with the theme of skeletons and wings have you considered using cyphers backpack for this guy?

Oh man, that'd be sweet but where would I find one of those? Oh wait! My black hole of a bitz box might have one! :D

Awesome work so far, I appauld your insanity for converting a Forgeworld minature dude, my hand shakes at the mere thought of altering one lol

Thank you. Yeah, I've got a lot more crazy projects in store for this army- my hands were shaking initially too, but after mainlining a few pots of coffee, the jitters are gone.

Thanks for the replies so far guys

If you haven't got a Cypher pack then you can get them on the GW site as part of a Chaos backpack set, I think you get four and the backpack part of Fabulous Bill's Chirurogen (sp?)

Liking what I'm seeing and will keep an eye on this one :D

Your GS skills rival that of GW's miniature designers :D

actually i think his greenstuff press moulding skills rival that of the gw miniature designers :sweat:

:lol: Admittedly though, there is some work in cutting the mold down and getting it to fit in place- but yes my actual sculpting skills are quite subpar.

Progress for the evening: managed to get the right greave figured out. Molded parts are now setting and hardening.

Regression for the evening: winged angel on the shoulder pad cracked off- need to recast it; which may not be the worst thing in the world.

Small note: found a cypher backpack- didn't fit right with the model, BUT it may be featured in this project somewhere, or in a project in the near future. I think the backpack I settled on will look the business, considering it's gonna be a kit bash.

My fiance, the photographer, is on a camping trip with her family for the next couple days- progress pics will likely be up Thursday.

med_gallery_20768_7281_38726.jpg

The crozius arcanum mace head for the chaplain conversion for the contest on the Bolter and Chainsword forum. The minotaur/bull head was shaved off and replaced with a green stuff mold of an out of production chaplain crozius.

...I hate you. *flings hobby tools out of window* I'm taking my Pogs and I'm going home!

Od.

P.S. Brilliant conversion work, can't wait to see the finished product!

...I hate you. *flings hobby tools out of window* I'm taking my Pogs and I'm going home!

Od.

P.S. Brilliant conversion work, can't wait to see the finished product!

*Snort* Hahahaha, thank you for the much needed laugh this morning. :P Thank you for the compliment.

Small note: the crotch plate of the armor has been removed- replacing it with a groin plate with some heavy metal flair. ;)

Ok, a better way would be 1) if he's using a tutorial from here, he can link me to it or 2) he can make a tutorial for it and have it added to the list. Subtle Discord makes his own molds, so I don't think it's against BnC rules unless you're trying to sell the stuff you've made from the molds.

I make my own molds using EasyMold currently, though I may be investing in some ouyumaru later on down the line. From there, its a matter of casting from the mold with greenstuff- letting it harden some, applying it to the model and then sculpting/moving/ etc to get the thing to fit correctly.

Quick molding like this is quite easy to do, it's resin casting that is tricky- and I will have my hands full with that most aggrivating of casting methods soon enough.

Pre-nap progress: one of the feet did not sit right on the model; had to hack off a foot from the metal jump pack chaplain model. Extensive resculpting will be required, as it is the foot that was beneath all the parchment. Groin plate and soft armor are finished.

Still to do:

fix the feet

sculpt some bones

WYSIWYG some grenades

finish the backpack conversion

fix the shoulderpad angel

glue model together

decorate the base

For the pack, if you can get ahold of it, may I suggest the one from FW's Sevrin Loth mini? It's got a book on it which is perfect for chaplains, topped with an Aquila that is an almost exact match for the one on that Crozius.

A visual tie-up like that would be quite effective, I think.