Chaplain's hobby misc. Red Gobbo!

For the pack, if you can get ahold of it, may I suggest the one from FW's Sevrin Loth mini? It's got a book on it which is perfect for chaplains, topped with an Aquila that is an almost exact match for the one on that Crozius.

A visual tie-up like that would be quite effective, I think.

That is a capital idea, but finding one of those would be tricky- and since the conversion challenge has a deadline, I don't know if the part would arrive on time.

Was denied a much needed nap due to the horrors of shopping, wonder how much I can get done before exhaustion sets in.

Exhaustion! You're a space marine! :angry: get the coffee on, you'll be fine. You gonna post when you're done?

Won't have a access to a camera til Thursday when the fiance gets home from her camping trip. Wish I was a space marine, I wouldn't be suffering in this heat :jaw:

++Edit++ Managed to find a sevrin backpack, got the backpack conversion mostly done in case it doesn't arrive in time.

Edited by The_Chaplain

Although there has been no infringement made (so fear not everyone, no one is in trouble!) in regards to the discussion of casting, do remember; although days of old would have forbidden such discussion, as long as discussion is limited to personal use only, everyone is ok. :P

Although there has been no infringement made (so fear not everyone, no one is in trouble!) in regards to the discussion of casting, do remember; although days of old would have forbidden such discussion, as long as discussion is limited to personal use only, everyone is ok. ^_^

Well, glad that's out of the way.

It seems that every time I take two steps forward with this project, I take one step back. Backpack conversion didn't pan out- so back to square one on that, might just have to use a spare metal backpack I have lying around and hope I get the sevrin loth pack in time for the contest to make something half decent looking.

Grateful for the fact that I still have some time left before the contest at least. Don't know when I'm gonna get new pics up, I don't feel like enough progress has been made *yet* to justify another round of pics. Time will tell though

Edited by The_Chaplain

10 days left til competition deadline, and the emperor has recently thrown a curveball to throw me off my game. 2 of our cats have decided to cat battle on my work table, sending the chaplain crashing to the floor!

After a couple days work, I have managed to fix what broke, thank goodness- just need to let it sit for a spell to harden.

The backpack isn't going to arrive in time for the competition, but hope is not lost! While cleaning, I found an old shrike jump pack- and it is currently being worked on for use on this model; additionally, work/war is being waged on the model base- trying for a cracked asphalt look complete with impact cratering from this bad boy's landing in preparation to smash some heathen skulls in.

Should have final model pictures up this weekend if all goes well, as well as some teaser pictures for 2 projects I will be undertaking when finances improve- Imperator Vult!

++Quick Edit++ Approaching 1,500 thread views, thank you all for the support and positive feed back- I really ought to draw something to post for this thread in celebration once we hit the 1,500++

Edited by The_Chaplain

Gonna have to edit this post several times, but pics were taken and are being uploaded currently.

Okay, first up is the "dynamic" 3/4 shot, showcasing a little bit of everything on the model.

med_gallery_20768_7281_906866.jpg

Shot of the right side of the model. Couldn't get the chapter symbol to look right, so I improvised- figured the head of the crozius was all the winged skeletal angel I needed (for now anyway)

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/162/8/c/right_side_shot_by_emo_catboy-d5348rw.jpg

The chained shoulderpad is a combination of the base Ivanus Enkomi pad, skulls squish molded from a chaplain dreadnought, modelling chain and chain holding rings squish molded from an OOP Chaos Terminator Lord model.

Shot of the left side of the model. Shoulder pad wasn't really changed, other than removing the greek symbol on/in the skull. You can see some of the leg squish mold detailing that wasnt visible in the 3/4 shot.

med_gallery_20768_7281_113286.jpg

what progress pic photo shoot isn't complete without a butt shot?

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/162/f/0/rear_shot_chaplain_conversion_by_emo_catboy-d534bo6.jpg

Captain shrike backpack, chained skulls from high marshal helbrecht, and greenstuff/ small scale chain give the jump pack some flair

If you looked at this model straight on, this is what you'd see. Forgeworld clearly modelled enkomi to be admired from above. Small note, you'll see the older armor Mk. crotch shielding has been removed, and a fairly simple codpiece has been placed there in its stead.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/162/4/a/front_on_shot_by_emo_catboy-d534chi.jpg

I'm gonna give this guy the benefit of a few games before I reserve judgement, but I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up back on the converting table to get himself a sweet new bike. Bikes>jump packs IMO.

Now for something different: teasers for my next 3 projects!

Edited by The_Chaplain

So, what's next on the chopping block <literally in many cases> once I get some funds?

Well, I'd like to eventually make 10 captains and a chapter master for my DIY army- so we're starting with a 9th company Captain Androcles "counts as".

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/162/7/f/future_androcles_by_emo_catboy-d534eyg.jpg

The idea here is to combine a cato sicarius torso with a web exclusive space marine sergeant, give him a custom gun, custom cape, etc.

Remember these?

med_gallery_20768_7341_4356029.jpg

Oh that's right folks, I got my grubby little mitts on the OOP LRC sponsons. I'm gonna sport these babies on a custom lrc- complete with statuesque reliquaries, so stay tuned.

And lastly, the beginnings of a dreadnought battle formation from Imperial armour.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/162/b/6/even_in_death_i_still_serve_by_emo_catboy-d534gup.jpg

this guy needs a lot of work, but with what I have planned...he will be glorious

I'm really liking your green stuff additions to the chaplain. Hes a really detailed chaplain but not grossly detailed. The proportions are all correct. Can't wait to see you paint him up.

Thank you. I'll be sure to post pics as I paint him.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, figured I'd post a little something for the thread since it's a nice day for taking pictures, so here's a progress shot of the chaplain dreadnought sarcophagus:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/175/e/6/chaplain_dread_progress_by_emo_catboy-d54ntc2.jpg

So what I've done is press molded the cloth detailing from a forge world dark angels dreadnought and am going from there. The bottoms of the cloth tassles/vestments will have simulated metal rivetted bars to keep the cloth in place (inspired by the old OOP blood angels veteran assault squad banner), rather than the free flowing cloth on the base FW DA dread. Gonna wind up replacing the greenstuff "staples" with actual ones, so they are consistent in size. I also need to connect both pieces of cloth in the center on the top. In the center, we can see the design from Evagrius' crozius arcanum- I felt like that detail should be incorporated into the dread somewhere, and the little circle in the center of the dread body bugged me. Does that look alright or should I slap a purity seal or something on it?

Still need to fix the top of the arch on the dread sarcophagus, as well as think up decoration for the arms and any other misc. detailing to make this baby stand out. Do you think I need to add something to the top, or is the cloth work enough? The out of the box forgeworld dread had a halo which was nice- but seeing as how it, along with the majority of my old model collection were broken in a moving accident forever ago- I'd have to build it from scratch. Suggestions are welcomed in that regard.

The nice thing about all this is I'm essentially given a chance to start all over, and really take my time with everything; and the modelling has always been my favorite aspect of the hobby.

I am working on artwork to post in the thread at a later date- just giving a little pic today to show that I'm still alive and kicking.

Edited by The_Chaplain

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, some minor work got done on the dreadnought chassis:

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/186/c/a/dread_progress_round_ii_by_emo_catboy-d561zq2.jpg

Had some cloth like sandpaper that I used for the bottom of the litany vestments, and frayed the bottoms so they were more convincing cloth wise. Still not satisfied with the rivets at all, despite my best efforts at balling tiny balls of greenstuff - might have to order some model train rivets and try those :D

Still need to fix the arch and any other small detailing before moving on to the arms and legs.

In other news, I attempted to draw something for you all; a thank you for all the page views. Haven't drawn anything other than doodles over the last few years, so this has been a labor of love so to speak. So here he is, the so-far nameless captain of the Confessors 3rd company.

http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2012/186/a/f/space_marine_captain_sketch_by_emo_catboy-d562025.jpg

Figure we can play a game: if anyone can name the actor who inspired the face and a handful of the bits used as a mental reference- I'll let them name the captain and his coat of arms; and I'll do a full body drawing of the captain - even sending it to the winner if they desire. Trying to stick to Russian/Albanian last names though I'm pretty open minded.

Thanks for looking, and happy 4th to all our American viewers!

Edited by The_Chaplain

Pictureless update for today (hope to have that remedied around wednesday).

That friggin' broken arch on the chaplain dreadnought has me stumped, nothing seems to work out right. So now I'm down to 3 options to try and fix it

1) use a venerable dreadnought halo bit and affix it to the broken arch and make it pretty

2) find a "creative solution" to the problem (read: slap some purity seals on it and call it a day)

3) locate a new chaplain dread sarcophagus, resin cast the arch and file and glue.

Oh well, I'll figure it out. In the meantime, I bought some bone colored army painter primer, and began work on the other parts of the sarcophagus- basecoated the gold gubbins with snakebite leather, followed by a 50/50 mix of shining gold and tamiya's gold leaf. Gonna see if I can track down my various washes, give the gold to be a quick chestnut wash, and then build up the second coat before final highlights. The cloth bits don't look as good as I had hoped they would at this stage; but gonna see if some paint work won't spruce them up a little- and if they still look like freeze dryed dog barf, I'll try something different. Perfection is an arduous process after all

Also, in the mail today I received some of the forgeworld tank crew bits, with which I can convert the range finder carrying badass into a proper, mean looking devastator sergeant (once I get him a set of legs, backpack and a character conversion pack power fist).

Edited by The_Chaplain

Fix the arch with miliput, it dries FAR harder than greenstuff and is easier to carve & sand

I'll have to look into that, maybe I can pick some up after going to the gym today at the nearby michael's. Thanks for the advice Lorenzen.

Looking good, you can certainly scuplt well.

Oh how I wish I could accept that praise from you Marius, but my sculpting skills actually suck something fierce. The majority of sculpted details you see are actually press/squish molded then filed and cut down for size to fit. I am working on sculpting though, and someday I'll be as good as other members on this board (I hope).

Awesome work so far. Will be watching this one.
Man, this chaplain is freaking awesome !

Thanks! I'll try not to disappoint in future updates.

Well, our resident rodent, murray the ferret has decided that my feet taste extraordinarily delicious this morning and woke me up accordingly. Suffice to say he's back in his cage, and I'm revving up for another hopefully productive day. Thanks for all the feedback and comments guys, it means a lot!