Thanks everyone for the great comments!  I'm excited about both projects. I suspect I'll be plugging along on the plague marines as a side project while I engineer the T-bolt.

The new guy looks so cool, RNB, and I am super excited about the thunderbolt project. Incidentally - it's also a razorback! Interesting...

I was wondering, which colour shif metal did you get from GSW? I'm looking at the paints myself to see if I could use then for my Necromunda terrain - to paint oil slicks with...

That color is Martian Green. They have so many cool colors. I'm going to pick up a couple for more bug like goodness.  http://www.greenstuffworld.com/en/chameleon-acrylic-paints/686-chameleon-colorshift-martian-green-paint.html

The Plague Marine is well-painted. As for the Plague P-47, will it retain its propeller, or- as you intend to install plasma engines- will you shoehorn a Gatling gun in place of the propeller?

Going with jet engines. I'll chaos up the front end for intakes.  The Imperial T-bolt has twin Lascannons and 2 twin autocannons. The plan (at the moment) is for the twin lascannons over the intake and the autocannons in the wing roots. We'll see how all the engineering goes.

*Puts plane nerd helmet on*

Given the shape of the aircraft, one idea that could be neat would be to have the two plasma jets vertically stacked, ala the English Electric Lightning.

English_Electric_Lightning_F3%2C_UK_-_Ai

Admittedly I'm not sure if the pair of engines will fit given their size, but it's just a thought.

Also, I can see some of the inevitable spares (especially that engine) being useful for other conversions. Also also, it's given me the idea for CSM with radial-engine styled backpacks.

*Puts plane nerd helmet on*

Given the shape of the aircraft, one idea that could be neat would be to have the two plasma jets vertically stacked, ala the English Electric Lightning.

English_Electric_Lightning_F3%2C_UK_-_Ai

Admittedly I'm not sure if the pair of engines will fit given their size, but it's just a thought.

Also, I can see some of the inevitable spares (especially that engine) being useful for other conversions. Also also, it's given me the idea for CSM with radial-engine styled backpacks.

Always loved the EE Lightning. Just a neat looking plane.  I did a bunch of dry fitting and general thinking on the project tonight and it looks like my best bet will be side-by-side. Probably with a divider like the F4 Phantom II. I'll be hacking a decent bit of the rear fuselage away, but under the tail plane, so I can keep that and help keep the overall lines of the plane. I want people in the know to say "Hey, that's a P47 Razorback...er, uh... but it....it looks kind of ...sick."

• 2 weeks later...

We just finished up our Memorial Day holiday here in the USA. Which for me meant work, yard work and a few moments to remember our war dead, to which my family had contributed, though not since the 1860's. All the other veterans made it home.... mostly in one piece.  What hobby time I've had has been mostly boring stuff, stripping minis, some rebasing and priming. The exciting stuff.  I have jumped into the Thunderbolt finally. 

So here's the base components for the fuselage and - after much chopping, cutting, cursing and sanding- how they are intended to fit together.

p474.jpgp473.jpg

I had thought about how corrupted I wanted to go with this beasty. I goofed around with a few before bed sketches of going "full daemon" on this thing, but in keeping with my Traitor guard guys, I wanted some human element. So the pilot is definitely corrupted, but plugs in to the aircraft....at least at the moment. The engine housing is planned to be the focal point of corruption, which I hope to suggest is creeping out from there.

I used a Sentinel pilot, crammed him into the kit cockpit and did a greenstuff arm. A head from the gellerpox guys to complete the mess.

pilot4.jpg

And then I painted him to go along with the guard guys....

pilot1.jpgpilot3.jpgpilot2.jpg

Next up, to start gluing and greenstuffing. Also getting my built plaguemarines together, so when I take a painting break from building, there will be plague marines and a fleshmower int he near future. :)

Looking nice! The pilot looks great so far and the engines are right at home like that. This should be pretty awesome!

As a suggestion for if you want to go even more daemonic with the aircraft itself, you know the old "shark's teeth" paintjobs a lot of warbirds used to get on the engine cowling? Perhaps take that a step further and add an actual predatory daemonic maw grinding open on the chin?

The Chaos-tainted pilot looks great! I doubt I'm the only one reminded of Immortan Joe, from Mad Max: Fury Road, though.

Usually Immortan Joe would've been my first thought too, but for whatever reason this time my first thought went to the skull-faced pilot from the music video of Pearl Jam's "Do The Evolution":

78c.gif

Thanks y'all! I got it on a flight stand last night. Hope to get to the beginning of all the corrupting of the fuselage. Though work is likely to get into the way of real project until @ Monday.

• 3 weeks later...

Work on the plague marines for ETL VII is coming along on schedule.  Here are the lads all built and primed...

DthgGroup.jpg

The plan is to paint the gun squad , then the close combat squad, then the characters.  I expect the first squad to be done  by next weekend, then the close combat squad before the end of July with the characters being for August.  That's the plan.  First step for the squaddies is to do the dirty ceramite.  I start with my dark black/brown base drybrush Rakarth Flesh, then Tyrant skull....then Game color Bone white.

Dthg01.jpg

There's a wash of Army painter Soft tone.....

Dthg02.jpg

Then I pick out the details with spot drybrushes and detailing. Game color Bonewhite and Off White. Some spot washed with GW Agrax Earthshade and the Wyldwood contrast paint, then a final detailing with the Off White.

Dthg04.jpg

Some of the gang....

Dthg05.jpg

Next up, fleshy bits and rusted metal.

Edited by rednekkboss

Looking real nice! Reminds me a little of a mix of "oldschool" 'Eavy Metal and some of the older FW paintjobs. Also that Plaguecaster is brilliant, I love the staff in particular; it's simple but effective.

Looking real nice! Reminds me a little of a mix of "oldschool" 'Eavy Metal and some of the older FW paintjobs. Also that Plaguecaster is brilliant, I love the staff in particular; it's simple but effective.

Thanks! It probably looks old school, because I'm old. :biggrin.: I'm kind of chomping at the bit to get to the plaguecaster, to be honest. I was going to save the characters for last, but may do him after this squad is done.

• 2 weeks later...

The first 9 are DONE!!  I meant to do the first 10... but somehow forgot one guy. Tzeentch is undoubtedly to blame.

plGMFin01.jpg

And some close ups.....

plGMFin02.jpg

plGMFin03.jpg

plGMFin04.jpg

...14 more to go to finish my ETL Vow.

Edited by rednekkboss

Wow, what a spectacular paint job on those Plague Marines. Especially since you're using such a seemingly simple (yet so very effective) method to build up that off-white. Absolutely loving it!