Very nice work so far, looks super cool. As for the big mouth/face... I'm think. No eyes like you suggested, it is creepy, kind of silent Hill, however I'm going to suggest you DO give it a nose. There are a lot of no face mouths all over these things and many other minis, but I think adding a nose will give it more of a "face" look, making the lack of eyes even creepier. You could have the nostrils or even just one of them being distended and stretched up and back. Push some Green Stuff around and see how it looks I guess!

I'm definitely going with the nose, we'll see about the eyes- though I do like the idea of fleshed over eye sockets. I have this vision of that thing lurking around, growling or arguing with itself about how hungry it is, sniffing out its prey in the dark. These gellerpox guys are neat in their own right, but they need to be creepier to fit into an army of DOOooom. ;)

Fantastic work on the sculpting, bud. You're such an inspiration. The skulls are prefectly integrated - you should do this more often on your Nurgle sculpts! 

About the facemouth: perhaps make a dome-like eye on top of the thing, between his shoulders? Just an idea and I have no idea how you'd go about doing it, but it popped into my head and I thought I'd share. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've always loved Nurgle's whimsy and the whole Garden theme, but in this guys case, I think I'll be coasting more toward the creepy/horror vibe than eye stalks. But... I DO have another hellbrute to build and I'm thinking about some beasts of Nurgle (probably full on conversions not from the Beast kit- though they are cute)- so eyestalks could happen...er, probably will, who am I kidding.

Sorry not much hobby stuff of late, been dealing with working retail at Christmas as well as fighting a 2 week battle with Nurgle's blessings, which I officially lost today, so I'm home sick for the holiday. hope to get some hobby going in the next couple days when I can sit in one place and not cough myself off the chair.  I primed some old marines to test some ideas I have about using crackle and texture paints on my Plague Marines 2.0. Since we are moving later this year, I'm also packing up some older stuff and trying to figure out what stays and what goes to friends or E-bay. :) I used to figure one can not have too many marines or orks, The problem with that philosophy when you buy way faster than you build is you suprise yourself one day at the staggering amount of models you have.

Been down for a couple weeks embracing Grandfather Nurgle's blessings, but finally back in the hobby room. Got my grubby mitts on some Milliput, which I've never used before and started blocking out the shape of the Great Unclean One's maggot like lower body. The plan is to use an aluminum foil core, milliput then greenstuff on that for details, though I may sculpt some of the bigger details with Milliput as I get more confident with it.  So what you are seeing here is the beginning of framework or the "undersculpt.

guobelly1.jpg

Also doing some testing on these two dummies with crackle paints, shades and such for the impending project of 2019 "The Army of DOOooom 2.0"  :smile.:

crackletest1.jpg

"Did he just call us dummies?"

"What are you gonna do? You have no hands."

Edited by rednekkboss

Plenty of eyes. Don't want to get too Tzeentch. 

..."too Tzeentch."!?!?    Thems fightin' words!

SO, the concensus is to leave it alone then.  No changes? No more or less eyes?  I had even toyed with making it eyeless. The asymetry bugs me, but then again... its supposed to be asymetric and disturbing.  Glad I have all of you to bounce ideas off of. :)

Oh man, definitely stick with Asymmetry. Few things are really symmetrical anyway. And yeah... I like Tzeench... So I want to have whole nests of eyes on my stuff. But it's a conversation I had with Krakendoomcool when Rogue Trader came out because of the Poxbringers. Slannesh and Khorne have very defined aesthetics but Nurgle and Tzeentch have a heavy "Mutation" overlap. If there's enough gross rot or infectious areas it will probably be fine. I was thinking about getting Rogue Trader and converting all the bad guys to look Tzeentchian.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I'll stick with the head the way it is.

My "hobby goals" for 2019, are to get the whole "DOOooom" concept fleshed out for mass consumption and to get my 40k armies straight. I'll be shedding some excess stuff and likely buying new.... because of my plastic addiction.  But most of it will likely focus on the Cults of DOOooom- both Chaos and Genestealer.....and Non-loyalists played with loyalist rules..... because I'm a rebel like that.

As to the Death Guard portion of my army, I'm abandoning "the Corroded" idea and going with the "Templars of Ruin"  This has me thinking about Ceramite and the original Death Guard paint scheme.  Bare ceramite, with green shoulders.....

DG02.jpg

What does really dirty white or off-white Ceramite look like? Dirty with what?  Dirt, blood, other gross stuff? In the real world, you end up with browns. Browns aren't always popular among miniature painters. And how do you sell it?  Well, I've got some reference photos I got of a dirty bathroom from an old, abandoned house that gave me some ideas.

floor1.jpgseat1.jpgsink.jpg

So, now its how to figure out how to paint it/sell it on a mini. I've got some ideas that involve shades, weathering powders + alchohol, wet blending, etc.  Of course, the big thing is to figure out how to do it in a reasonable amount of steps. The test model is in for a work out. :)

Doing some sculpting tomorrow, so an update on the deamon and such very soon.

You're looking at a lot of staining with Seraphim Sepia, Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Flesh... What you do is let it set for a couple minutes and then add another color, it'll leave a stain on the model. You can see I accidentally did it with the heat stain on my AT Reaver's Gatling Cannon from the Druchii Violet to the Seraphim Sepia, it left a ring where the Violet had settled and was washed away by the inclusion of Sepia over it. That might get you the desired effect.

You're looking at a lot of staining with Seraphim Sepia, Agrax Earthshade and Reikland Flesh... What you do is let it set for a couple minutes and then add another color, it'll leave a stain on the model. You can see I accidentally did it with the heat stain on my AT Reaver's Gatling Cannon from the Druchii Violet to the Seraphim Sepia, it left a ring where the Violet had settled and was washed away by the inclusion of Sepia over it. That might get you the desired effect.

DuskRaider has it. That's basically what I did for my Death Guard, though I think I didn't use Seraphim Sepia (probably should have, now that I think of it...).

For example, Mortarion's armour here is based Rakarth Flesh, and then washed with Agrax Eartshade and Reikland Fleshshade. I didn't use Seraphim Sepia, but that would have definitely pushed the armour more to an even dirtier, dingier white.

VvsczJp.jpg
Edited by Gederas

Thanks for the suggestions.

I figure it'll take some experimenting. I know I can accomplish it, the big thing is figuring out a repeatable process for 20-30 miniatures. Hope to get after it in the next couple days.

• 2 weeks later...

No new sculpting, but I'm chipping away at the platoon of Traitor guard. The Missile teams are done, and now I've got 2 sergeants and the plasma gunners finished. 1 more sergeant and 24 or so gun toting guys to go.

The plasma gunners.....

plasmagunners1.jpg

Nothing too stunning. Trying to keep with the mixed uniform/scavenged look. Some parts are camo, others not. Also the Marauder legs.  The more I paint them, the less I am a big fan of the old Forgeworld torsos, but... I've got @ 60 of them...so.......

Here's Sgt Pickman...

sgt3.jpg

sgt5.jpg

He has yet to add the dental coverage to his health care plan.  Using the Anvil Stahlhelm heads for various "elite"/veteran types.  More on that in the future.... but these two are the Stahlhelm zombies.  Now , Sgt Mace Zombie...

sgt6.jpg

sgt1.jpg

(he's my favorite of these two)  Squad markings are on the shoulders (or backpacks...or facemasks)   I added the red stripe from the vehicles, then the "finger painted" off white squad markings over that.  Probably going to add grafitti/devotional stuff on many of the guys, here and there to keep up the more "para-military" feel.  I know these footsloggers aren't quite as exciting as marines and special models, but in a flavorful guard army I feel at least a platoon or two are necessary.  More to come..... and some sculpting updates soon as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I figure it'll take some experimenting. I know I can accomplish it, the big thing is figuring out a repeatable process for 20-30 miniatures. Hope to get after it in the next couple days.

Why not try out DuskRaider's scheme? 

Love those latest Blood Pact/Sons of Sek-eque Traitor Guard models! The heads work really well, but you've also done a great job of making them look both suitably ragtag and functional enough. An entire squad or two of these should be lovely!

Regarding the Marine colour scheme - and sorry for taking so long to get back to you on this - I think the last of your inspirational pictures (that seems to be of the inside of a washing basin or toilet bowl) seems like a great place to start: An off white colour for the armour, that is encrusted with brown grime towards the edges, making for that extra bit of contrast. Personally speaking, I wouldn't go for a predominantly brown scheme, as mostly brown models just tend to look a bit dull without any further accent colour for contrast.

Thanks, gents!

Augustus: Yeah, that is basically what I have in mind as a sort of starting point... or something similar. But then grimey it up some more

Krautscientist: Pretty pleased with the gang so far. I've got lots of bits and such going into the main force to keep that scavenger feel. Doing so many, I have to fight the urge to slap them together to get them done.  One of the reasons I didn't finish my Call to Chaos vow with these guys was I didn't want to skimp on character and quality.

That last photo is also my favorite for reference. It was a counter sink. I thought it was great for contours and contrasts, but that'll likely be the approach for the ceramite parts of the armor.  I think I'll probably try to finish off 8 more guardsmen before I move on to the test marine, so I can feel like I'm getting something done on the hoard. There are also Sentinels to finish.  And, down range, more vehicles and air support....and stormtroopers...and Orgyn....and it never ends.  But the plan for now (and I finally have a "normal" schedule going again + more hobby time) is to get a squad done. Do a test Plague Marine and finish up my GUO conversion/sculpt... along with Gellerpox spawn. That's the plan anyways. There ia also a Genestealer Patriarch that is screaming for me to finish it.  Should have another update Sunday/Monday.