• 2 weeks later...

There is some lovely stuff on here since I last checked in.

I'm particularly impressed by your beetle inspired colour scheme. I had a similar idea when a fly landed on a pot of paint when I was painting a Nurgle helbrute last summer.

Hidden Content
17389d56-da45-4bc1-9bd3-3e32106a8d8b-e15

I had a look at color shift paints. I was looking for gold/green/blue but didn't get as far as actually trying it out. I had my doubts about whether it would be effective given the amount of damage to the Death Guard armour. I though the effect might be a bit lost.

I can see you've had great results with it though. Great job!

There is some lovely stuff on here since I last checked in.

I'm particularly impressed by your beetle inspired colour scheme. I had a similar idea when a fly landed on a pot of paint when I was painting a Nurgle helbrute last summer.

Hidden Content
17389d56-da45-4bc1-9bd3-3e32106a8d8b-e15

I had a look at color shift paints. I was looking for gold/green/blue but didn't get as far as actually trying it out. I had my doubts about whether it would be effective given the amount of damage to the Death Guard armour. I though the effect might be a bit lost.

I can see you've had great results with it though. Great job

Glad you are liking it.  I'm falling a bit more in love with the scheme as I paint it more.  Its a pretty neat "happy accident" of sorts...or just an old painters intuition, not sure which. :)

I try to dust and dirty the panels painted with the colorshift. I also think brushing it on doesn't get you as intense of an effect. They are hard to see at a distance, but I also dinged/dirtied up the areas around dents and the like.  You can also do thinned shades over them to tone down the reflection.  I'm working on the bloat drone and I've done this in layers- shade, stippled colorshift-shade-stippled colorshift and its getting a weathered look to it, which I think is the way to go on larger plates, unless you want a real shine, like those heathens that worship Tzeentch or Slaanesh, might.

• 3 weeks later...

The close combat guys are very close to done..at about 80%. I thought I'd share the process a bit....

As always, I start with a dark brown base. Its about 50/50 brown/black, thinned a bit with matte medium. I'm using GW Rhinox Hide for the brown and a Mars black craft paint. Its like a heavy wash, not unlike the Contrast paints GW has, but a bit thicker in pigment. I do this over a military brown undercoat. After that I drybrush GW Rakarth Flesh on the ceramite parts of the armor, flashy bits, cloth...anything that isn't going to be dark.

Next, I do a heavy dry brush  with GW Tyrant Skull (Dry) and then a highlight Drybrush with Game Color Off White. (Top pic)

The new thing is the GW Contrast paints. I do the fleshy areas with Guilliman Flesh and the teeth with Aggaros Dunes. (bottom)

PlagueM01.jpg

After this, I redress any of the fleshy bits with the contrasts. Magos Purple is a nice subtle warm purple for the base color of fleshy bits too, though I don't think there was any on this particular model. I went back to my beloved shades for deepening the colors, here and there. Druchii Purple, Agrax Earthshade, Seraphim Sepia and Althonian Camoshade as needed. I did some yellow, white drybrushing to highlight the eyes and applied Hexwraith Flame. Edged it with Coelia Greenshade.

PlagueM02.jpg

Then all the armor is hit with a black, thinned in some areas.  I then highlight the dents and edges with Castellan Green. After that comes the Greenstuffworld colorshift paint Martian Green.

PlagueM1.jpg

At this point I still need to weather the armor, rust up and weather the weapons and finish the base, but they are definitely close. Detailing certain models and fixing a few mistakes will be the finishing touches. But with the Ides of August upon me, finishing this lot by months end is looking great!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I missed, what should have been, an easy deadline for the ETL VI. No thanks to Hurricane Dorian and a double ear infection (darn Nurgle and his "blessings") BUT... the lads are done.  I tried out a white backdrop and a new bulb. I'm not sold on the pics, but I'll drop some more later so you can see the colorshift effects a bit better.  You'd think taking pictures of little men would be easy for someone with an art degree.... not so much.

Here's the Plaguecaster and Blightbringer....

pcaster01.jpg

pcaster02.jpg

blbringer01.jpg

The Powerfist twins....

pmchamps01.jpg

The Plasmagun squad with Plasma Champ and extra Melta guy, for those times I'm feeling squirrelly and want to burn stuff up close....

plGMgun01.jpg

plGMgun02.jpg

And the "smash face" team, who are currently lobbying for their very own Land raider..     :sick::woot:

plGMCC01.jpg

plGMCC02.jpg

PLUS..... I've been doing some work on this hellish monstrocity.....

Fleshmow07.jpg

Fleshmow06.jpg

Fleshmow05.jpg

I'll tinker with my photo set up over the weekend, so there's likely to be some more pics soon.  You can also check me out on Instagram, if you are on there. I tend to do a lot of phone pics while I'm painting... plus there are cute pictures of my critters. :wink:  https://www.instagram.com/jfshandrednekkboss/

Lovely stuff Rednekkboss.

That Malignant Plaguecaster looks much better than the original model. His pose makes more sense with the arms you’ve used too.

Fantastic verdigris on the Blight bringer.

The Plague Marines are looking awesome.

The bloat drones large curved carapace surfaces are really letting that colorshift shine. Great interpretation of the flesh mower to boot.

Thanks, y'all, for the great comments!!

Excellent work. Are you a Darksiders fan? The Plaguecaster looks like Death, from Darksiders II.

I wasn't familiar with it, but I looked it up. Some great imagery there. Lots of good stuff in video/pc games. The Diablo series had been a big inspiration for me, especially now that I'm practiced enough to carry out some of the conversions it has inspired.

Here's some better pics of the fleshmower as well as the colorshift paint.

fleshmow003.jpg

fleshmow002.jpg

And looky what comes out the back end!!!!

fleshmow001.jpg

He's almost done.... then on to more grossness.  Believe it or not, I'm planning a slight departure from Nurgle in (hopefully) the not to distant future. Still Chaos, but Slaatzeentchy or Tzeeneeshi in nature. Plus, some Aztec-inspired Khorne Berserkers. ;)

That drone is fantastic, the trail of effluence leaking from the cables and pipes in particular is just wonderfully vile.

Also, Aztec inspired Khorne sounds amazing, especially considering Aztec mythology was basically IRL Chaos worship ("Sacrifice innocents to eldritch monstrosities or the sun will go out"). Can't wait to see the results!

Thanks, Y'all!  Some more Deathguard vehicles/critters to come.

Doodling some ideas on how to mix Aztec/Khorne. Getting a bit too excited about that project. Its going to be fun and I'm planning on pushing my greenstuff/sculpting skills a bit. Hopefully, there will be more success than failure.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you who are sick of seeing my Fleshmower....here's some more pictures. Because its done!

Fleshmow002.jpg

Fleshmow003.jpg

Fleshmow004.jpg

Fleshmow005.jpg

Next up?  A Tri-lobe of Blight Crawlers.  And then some Ork nonsense on my other thread, which I blame Captain Semper for. I just can't resist his painting challenges, even though I usually fall short.

Hurray! The drone is done. Took you long enough, but not as long as me, as I have had three on the table for over a year now.... Ugh. But yours looks great - I'm still amazed by the effect of the paint you introduced. It's lovely, lovely, lovely.

We're buddies on insta, but I hadn't realized you were the one changing names to the wyrdwood! I liked rednekkboss better. But I'm a big fan of homeostasis, so ignore me ;)

Hurray! The drone is done. Took you long enough, but not as long as me, as I have had three on the table for over a year now.... Ugh. But yours looks great - I'm still amazed by the effect of the paint you introduced. It's lovely, lovely, lovely.

We're buddies on insta, but I hadn't realized you were the one changing names to the wyrdwood! I liked rednekkboss better. But I'm a big fan of homeostasis, so ignore me :wink:

Ha! Thanks man!  Yeah, the change of names on Instagram was to go with my website, which is 40k and non 40k stuff...plus stories and comics I'm planning. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut... I changed it back. :wink:

Edited by rednekkboss