Ha ha ha, that joker paint job is wicked. really love that guy. So that octopus from AoS, is it much bother to convert? I have an idea to use it for something myself but wasnt sure if it would be worth it with all the little bits in all its arms I would have to sort out.

Knowing that you are into Cthulhu... have you seen the Death May Die Kickstarter by CMON? the minis in that are sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Ha ha ha, that joker paint job is wicked. really love that guy. So that octopus from AoS, is it much bother to convert? I have an idea to use it for something myself but wasnt sure if it would be worth it with all the little bits in all its arms I would have to sort out.

Knowing that you are into Cthulhu... have you seen the Death May Die Kickstarter by CMON? the minis in that are sweeeeeeeeeeeet.

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with Mr. J-Pox. I think I'll make a small band of poxwalkers to accompany him. In case I get to play some Kill team... or just because.

I saw that kickstarter. Oh myyyyyy.  The issue I'm finding with the octopus is two fold: What to do with the bitz in his tentacles?  And, what to do about the "missing" tentacles?

For the first, you could cut them out and it basically makes it look like he's curling a tentacle OR put something narrative on the base to explain them :i.e. dead scribe, inquisitor,etc

The second is a bit more complicated. The one tentacle goes across his buddy's back. Easy enough to chop off his buddy if you want to make something of him, but not a small feat if you want to actually use it.  The other missing tentacle piece could be dealt with by just cutting off the knife... or even leaving it, if something on the base makes sense. 

So, a couple thoughts come to mind.  Cast a replacement tentacle with greenstuff. (a skill I claim absolutely no ability at)

Sculpt a tentacle with suckers (I'm pretty good..... but not that good)

Make it look like a battle injury. (not a terrible idea)

Replace it with a "bionic" tentacle made by its loving followers (probably the one I'm leaning towards the most.)

Not entirely sure how to proceed with him, but I'm pre-occupied for the next few days with finishing my filthy loyalist ETL vow. After that its back to the warm, loving stinky embrace of Chaos.

That Octopus makes total sense for a Patriarch. Especially when you look at those genestealers with the tentacle mouths.

You could possibly go with missing tentacles. An Octopus has 8 tentacles but no one can tell you how many tentacles and Octopus head is supposed to have.

But I think the mechanical tentacles is gonna be one of those impossible to resist ideas once you've heard it. Plus there are loads of mechanical tentacle bits to choose from. Looking forward to this guy.

That Octopus makes total sense for a Patriarch. Especially when you look at those genestealers with the tentacle mouths.

You could possibly go with missing tentacles. An Octopus has 8 tentacles but no one can tell you how many tentacles and Octopus head is supposed to have.

But I think the mechanical tentacles is gonna be one of those impossible to resist ideas once you've heard it. Plus there are loads of mechanical tentacle bits to choose from. Looking forward to this guy.

Yeah, after ruminating in my head, the metal tentacles are the winner.  It just would look too cool. I figure there will be other "loving touches" his throng has done as well.

I was thinking I would have maybe tried to sculpt the missing tentacles. To me the Mechanical ones dont seem to fit the patriarch only in that... I dont know, personally metal parts on a tyranid doesnt seem right ... that said however, it will definitely make for an awesome model, so i guess Rule of Cool Applies.  I really like the idea of replacing the objects in hand (tentacle) with things taken from a victim on the floor... you could even replace them with body parts of the victim?

I was thinking I would have maybe tried to sculpt the missing tentacles. To me the Mechanical ones dont seem to fit the patriarch only in that... I dont know, personally metal parts on a tyranid doesnt seem right ... that said however, it will definitely make for an awesome model, so i guess Rule of Cool Applies.  I really like the idea of replacing the objects in hand (tentacle) with things taken from a victim on the floor... you could even replace them with body parts of the victim?

I think you've followed my work long enough to know I find the book fluff as more like "guidelines". ;)   I'll be taking a Chaos/Lovecraft/" Rednekk's-sleep-deprived-again" kind of approach to this guy and the whole cult.  But to give you a glimpse into the madness.........

I figure this guy who for one reason or another, is not your average genestealer to begin with, has been around for a long,long time.  His followers have had a few run-ins with the authorities over the years, but have still managed to stay hidden.  I guess the big question is- does this guy grow things back if they get hacked off?  Or do they need replacing?  My tenative backstory for the cult (all of my armies are together on a world called Crixus) is that these guys are in a mountainous region which has a great deal of mining and ore refining industry (with a heavy Mechanicus presence) They have thoroughly infiltrated the local mining guilds and having a nice time consolidating power when an Ork invasion elsewhere on the planet drew away much of the Imperial military. This inturn, sparked an uprising nearby by some Chaos loonies, which puts the cults secrecy in a bit of jeopardy. So they begin battling/infiltrating the Chaos cults.... to find out things are a bit more serious than they thought It kind of end up in a "who is really infiltrating/corrupting who" dynamic at this point.... and there might even be some sort of Chaos-like alien thing to blame for the whole thing.  Its enough to confuse an Inquisitor. ;) Someday, if I find the time I'll write it all up and/or make a comic. :)

Sounds wicked. I love the idea that all of your armies are on the same planet. It always seemed crazy that all of the armies in Dawn of War were fighting on the same planet, but I liked that it was happening that way. I have like 9 different armies but at the end of the day, its only like 4 factions, Imperium, Chaos, Tyranids and Eldar.  I compulsivlely keep everything and I'm unwilling to sell... so I kind of wish I'd had that idea, because I justify having all those armies as... "Well if someone comes around they have a good choice of armies to play, they dont need to bring their own".  So having all my bases matching would have been a good idea, but I didnt so that ship has sailed! The whole Tyranid biological purity thing is just a personal thing, but I love what if scenarios. Im more than happy to entertain weird non canon things to justify weird stuff. I made Krakendoom cool a Looted Carnifex and I want to pick up the ork/genestealer hybrids I did started badly a long time ago.

Did you ever play Alien vs Predator on the PC... It was my favourite game for a long time. There was this weird cyborg alien... It was :cuss... I mean the design was :cuss. It was super deadly... but it killed you from a distance presumably with a gun of some sort, and walked really slowly like an old man.  Why not just put those awesome weapons on a mobile gun platform that wasnt an xenomorph? Anyway... it was :cuss... but the IDEA was great. just like the Predalien, which was better executed. Ok maybe "great is a strong word"... the aliens are too instict driven, but a Patriarch? That thing is sharp, and if it thinks it will benifit from someone grafting a power whip to its face... lets all just bask in the glory that is a :cussing massive, Intelligent Genstealer bearing down on its victims waving arking, disruption field tenticles 15 feet ahead of its horrifyingly fast, stealth, deathmachine body.

So yeah... cool. looking forward to it. *fist bump*

PBB, I have the same issue. I had a couple editions where I bought every codex and at one point or another started every army. I have bitz going back nearly 20 years and am loathe to get rid anything "in case I need it for a conversion". The thing I've always said about 40k is "its a big galaxy out there" That's probably what I love most about the setting and has made me come back to it (I've tried to quit twice, even sold off all my stuff- I'm kicking myself a bit for that these days) I think I'll probably be goofing around with these things until I can't do it anymore, even if no one is playing 30 years from now. :) Somewhere along the way in this last incarnation (which I think started around '03-4) I decided all of my armies were going to be in the same battlezone.  I keep wanting to do a comic about it (because I usually take the game quite tongue in cheek)... but the old time = money thing that has kept me from getting too invested in it. It could still happen.

But, yeah.. the Patriarch is a unique and interesting animal. Its a unique situation and offers SO many conversion/fluff possibilities if you are willing to step out of the printed GW canon box. And as for "Dawn of War", its still a favorite of mine

• 4 weeks later...

The whole back story for these guys is sounding great. Very selfishly, I would love to see some comic on this.

I keep mulling over the comic. I think it might happen. I have some new (old) software I really need to learn and that would be a good thing to practice on. Right now I'm a bit jammed up with art commissions, but I'm hoping to get this army back on track and (in some cases) refitted. Lore/fluff and such is forthcoming as well.

I've been a little swamped with artwork lately (which is a good thing, right?!?) but decided to take most of Sunday for some inventory and construction on the Renegade Guard Army.  I'm going to concentrate on these guys because they are the closest to playable I have at the moment and may be sneaking in the occasional game. Plus, I intend to use many of these miniatures in all of my armies (as cultists/brood brothers/renegades/ guard) so they have priority at the moment.  Needless to say, there is lots to do and lots of them to eventually paint. Here's about a third of them....

deskRMl.jpg

I've had to do a lot of reverse engineering and salvaging from just slapping some of them together years ago, so that's been fun. I also bought some aftermarket stuff from Anvil Industries and Victoria Minis. Here's one of my missile teams (primed)..

HWteamML1.jpg

AND... I'm going to do another homage piece after finding this guy I had started to convert.  I just don't know weather to Hail Hydra or Conquer Eternia.......

Skel01.jpg

What say you?

Thanks Brother Lunkhead!  I'll try to keep intimi...er inspiring. :) This guy will have some sculpting where I won't be able to be lazy at all, so we'll see how good I've gotten.

Red Skull seems to be the favorite across the places he's been posted. I'm definitely going to have to do a Skeletor sorceror of some kind. Probably with a laughing skull. But the Red Skull also works with the iconography I have planned. And camoflage.... lots and lots of camoflage. :smile.:

Edited by rednekkboss

Hail hydra or conquer Eternia? Why not both?

Very keen on seeing where this Renegade force goes!

I thought about that but then I'd have to field questions like "Why is Skeletor's face red?" or "Why is Red Skull wearin purple?"  I think a proper Skeletor laughing would be good. I just have to figure out the bits and what he'd be. I am kind of keen to do a Beast Man Ogryn bodyguard for those times I use the IG list. ;)

Going to be lots of camo. I like the IDEA of the Forgeworld conversion torsos, but to be honest, they kind of show their age.  If I were doing it over again and didn't have 40 of those guys laying around, I would have probably ordered torsos and heads from Anvil. But, I'll make due. The big focus (aside from having guys to go along with my tanks) is to make the minis so I can use them with the Renegades and Heretics list AND the Astra Militar..icus...ium ...er, Imperial Guard list. On the rare occasion I actually play.  But all sorts of cool things rattling around my head, plus finalizing some fluff to back it all up. Hail Hydra...er, uh Alphariu...er... Chaos!  Yeah, Chaos.... that's it!  Warm and wonderful Chaos.

Mine are at least 10 years old. The fit on plastic legs (guard and old chaos fantasy renegades) is a bit wonky, if you are stickler for that kind of thing like I am, but with a little green stuff , in some cases, or just gluing on some gear around the waist they are pretty good. Its interesting toe see the changes in technology over the years though. Modern plastics have more detail than those older resins. I should get some pictures of my building madness up soon. Its fairly tedious, with lots of pinning, but I'll end up with a pretty sizable force when I'm done. A bit bigger than I thought it was after digging around in my bits, to tell the truth. Also Games Workshop has me solidly hooked with the Nighthaunt range and I'm scheming on ways to work them into my armies as well.  In my fluff (which I know I have to share) the warchant of the Cults is "Wraith. Wrath. And Ruin."... so they work into the Tzeentchy/Slaaneshi  (Tzeeneshi/Slaantchi) mix that is the "Wraith" portion of the Armies of DOOooom. Plus,  as "counts as Loyal Guard (Vallhallans) or Genestealer cult" lists for these models, it opens up a lot of possibilities too.

My desk is still full of Renegades and such being put together. I made some guys with banners. Ungor arms with spears are perfect for the pole arm. Sometimes never throwing anything out/getting rid of it can be a good thing.

banners01.jpg

Loving the scale difference with the Blightking models. I'm using this guy as a Commisar type and it gives that impression of former Marine/Chosen of Chaos in charge of the more recent converts to me.  Can't wait to get painting, but still a LOT of construction to do.

renegadecommisar.jpg

I have to give props to my wife for suggesting black construction paper for a photo backdrop. Much better than what I was using for this color pallette.  She also said I should "buy myself some stuff" which was .....dangerous. Along with Nighthaunt models (damn you GW) I got some stuff from Anvil, that might influence how I tackle the 30-40 guardsmen I have yet to do. I'm seeing them as the "professional" soldiers training insurgents/keeping the rabble in line/shooting them when necessary....or whenever. But I ordered these and may have to do the whole lot..... 

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/Torsos/void-torso-400x400.jpg

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/Zombies/heads/zombie-head-sprue-400x400.jpg

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/image/cache/catalog/Regiments/PMC/heads/bullet-mask-400x400.jpg

AND.... the Khorne Dogs ...er, uh Dogs of Khorne... got some head swaps and some upgrades. 

DoKguys01.jpg

I also decided the unit needed a cannon rather than a flamer. The Heavy Flamer guy didn't want to give up his arm, so the conversion began. I had got new autocannons for the regular troops, so I built his Reaper from them. Still some fiddly bits to put on it, but you can see where its headed....

DOKgunner1.jpg

And last but not least. A guy I call The Vulture.  I plan on doing some feather like sculpting on the robes, plus I have the vulture from the Giant kit that will go on his shoulder. I'd been trying to figure out the perfect head for him and stumbled on this cultist one in my desktop bitz pile.  Its got a creepy Tim the Sorceror vibe.... 

vulture01.jpg