Thanks gang!  Hell weekend at my out-of-the -house job, but then I have a few days to get in some hobby times around artwork and the "honey-do" list.  The Call of Chaos deadline is going to be tight, probably should have stuck with these two units.  The plan right now is to finish these two and hopefully get to "The Faceless"  Also have some plaguemarines in the mail for my birthday, so I'll be doing a close combat Plaguey team soon. PLUS I ordered that cool nurgling with the bonus champion mini!

An update on The Corroded.  Trying out some "new' products (new to me)... the Game Effects stuff. 

paintcorrded.jpg

The Dry Rust is LOVELY stuff. Not unlike the GW Typhon Corrosion, but more "rusty' and less "muddy", but it has the little gritty stuff in it. Its like a wash. I put it over a dark brown/black base and its pretty gorgeous by itself.  You could use it at this point with a little dry brush. Adding in the Rust (orange), you can vary the amount of hard oxidization you want. Or drybrush some metal. Great stuff for limiting the number of steps to get great looking rust.  On these particular models, because of the detail and such it was a bit time consuming for me, but on vehicles and the like....wow!  Anyways, HIGHLY recommended. And a bit cheaper than GW. :wink:

rusty.jpg

Here's what the rust and the verdigris look like together, before detailing the colors.  The verdigris will eventually vary in tone, plus there will be some bronze poking through here and there.

corroded01.jpg

Converted another hooded champion.... 

plaguechamp2.jpg

The gang as they stand......

workbench1.jpg

And finally, I'll just leave you with this (in-progress) face......

spawn02.jpg

Edited by rednekkboss

That rust effect looks great, cant wait to see the finished models. Also very curious to see what and how the last model comes on 

Aside from the big eye, I have no plan as of yet... so it'll be just greenstuff, a bitz box and whatever happens.  Kind of the essence of Chaos, really. :)

An update on The Corroded.  I have one guy completely done, with several others in progress. I figure once Holiday Retail Hell begins next Friday there is probably a snowball's chance in Hell that I'm get my vow done by December 15th. I might be able to pull off the Plague Marines and the Hellbrute, but even that is a stretch looking at the work schedule I was just handed this week.  I really need to get to the point where I don't have to work for other people. I'm SO over it.:dry.:

In the meantime, though I am  very happy with the way these guys are coming out. I'll have to admit to having some doubts about the paint scheme at one point during the process, but once the details are filled in it really looks like how I'd imagine some guys calling themselves The Corroded might look.

corroded02.jpgcorroded04.jpg

corroded03.jpgcorroded01.jpg

I worked in the bright green/yellow I used on my plaguebearer weapons and also the drab green cloak for the normal Templars of DOOooom to help tie these guys to the rest of the army. As it stands the total contingent for The Corroded will be a lord (probably Typhus- since I have the new one.) Hellbrute, 2 squads of Plaguemarines and 2 Rhinos.  My generic cultists and poxwalkers can be plugged in for gameplay and I'll probably want to consider some more firepower. Not that I actually play anymore, because I can't seem to find time with my schedule. Like many of us "old hands" I've turned into more of a hobbyist.  I think I'll have to find most of my minis new homes in the coming months. I would much rather see them used than sitting around collecting dust.

Buddy, I am terribly sorry but I'm not a big fan of your paint scheme. ALl your stuff usually looks amazing and extremely detailed, but this to me looks like you just washed the miniature with some watered down Nihalac Oxide and called it done....  There's a great discrepancy as well between the look of the texture of the rusted metal parts and the corroded Nihilac Oxide. I'm sorry to be 'that guy', but honesty is the best feedback. I wouldn't be so negative if I wasn't absolutely sure you can pull off something far better looking, as you have time and time again in the past.

How's Charlotte?

Buddy, I am terribly sorry but I'm not a big fan of your paint scheme. ALl your stuff usually looks amazing and extremely detailed, but this to me looks like you just washed the miniature with some watered down Nihalac Oxide and called it done....  There's a great discrepancy as well between the look of the texture of the rusted metal parts and the corroded Nihilac Oxide. I'm sorry to be 'that guy', but honesty is the best feedback. I wouldn't be so negative if I wasn't absolutely sure you can pull off something far better looking, as you have time and time again in the past.

How's Charlotte?

Criticism is ALWAYS welcomed. That's why I post pictures. :smile.: Though the process was much more involved than it looks like, I can see what you are saying and can go in and detail it some more, because it does look a but dull. That's the thing about trying new paint schemes. Honestly, as much as I liked the idea for the scheme, I'm still not totally sold on it. So the question to you and the masses, do the colors work together or should I go a different direction?  The initial idea was to do something "different" since GW stole my green and rust pattern. Those bums.

As for Charlotte, she was on the back burner of the Call of Chaos, but I may bail on the challenge because my schedule next month is going to be brutal.  She'll get her time, but I'm guessing it'll be January before she's done.

Edited by rednekkboss

• 1 month later...

Good to hear you took it well. I really don't mind that GW is making minis in your scheme - it's just proof that that scheme works, and you do it so well! Your stuff is amazing!

A poty Miss Charlotte wasnt finished for the Call, but now we can enjoy that project here even longer. Also, how's the nephew's Smirfs?

Happy New Year!!

• 3 weeks later...

Smurfs are done, done DONE!  Back to the oozing warm hugs of Grand daddy Nurgle!!  :woot:  

Hey, Augustus.... look who is getting her underwings worked on.

Charlotteunderwing01.jpg

Some more layers of washes to go, then its on to the carapace and a few little details!  OH.... and the base.

In the meantime, this fellow demanded some attention or he was going to enlighten me on how he got his scars....

poxjokerip01.jpg

A ways to go, but coming along nicely.  I do have one little tick that's bugging me.  Does the split in the middle of the bottom lip bug anyone else? I could do a quick greenstuff fix or I could leave it and maybe pick it out a bit with paint.  What do ya'll think?

Grand plans for this year in the hobby for me. Aside from ridding myself of models, my overall plan is to focus on and slightly overhaul my Chaos army.  I've always like the Garden of Nurgle/Corrupted Forest idea and want to work that in.  It might mean some tweeks to bases on finished models, but its the unfinished ones (most of my marines/rank and file) which I hope to show it off with. I have a generally dry Mediterranean feel to my bases to go along with an old campaign world of Crixus.  So I have to work the corruption into that. I figure these guys bring it with them.  Lots of plans for background, fluff and comics, so I'll keep you posted as I turn years of sketches and scribblings into something for public consumption.

Cheers Ya'll!

Thanks, guys! 

The lip is one of those little things that has me second guessing I think because I've stared at that face through magnifying specs too long.  What was it Nietzsche said about staring into the abyss and it staring back?  I think because it breaks the chin under the lower lip. Here I am worried about a guy who will likely be one in a herd.  I'm definitely doing some Ultramarine poxwalkers after doing them for the last month or so too. Filthy do-gooders.

Charlottes underwings illustrate how sometimes putting a project a way for a while and coming back to it is not always a good thing.  I had a rythem for the upper wings I'm finding  a bit harder to repeat. Plus they are concave, which is not as easy with the shades.  While the tops are like the bullfrogs back, I'm kind of going for the bullfrog's belly with her wings...except more muted than an actual frog. :) As for the base, I have some different ideas... so I'll probably drop some sketches on that very soon.

:yucky: Just waded my way through 24 pages of slop and filth....and all I have to say is marvelous work! :thumbsup: Your GS skills are quite impeccable and I believe Grandfather Nurgle would be proud. I think Ms. Charlotte is my favorite model you've created so far but your scared sentinel (I forgot his name....) is a close second. I also like your Typhus conversion, very characterful.

Just looking at the Marine and the colours I think in some ways the issue is that if someone cast one of these 28mm models in brass then let it build up verdigris and weather then it would age a lot like that and look much the same. However we're trying to get the model to look like a scaled down version of an 8 foot tall marine and the paint effect ends up out of scale with that idea.
Not sure what to suggest but while it looks great as an effect if you where doing 1:1 props it may be why you feel off with it. 

Here ya go Augustus....  I'm calling the underwings done.  I wanted to go lighter with the underside, still can't decide if its too light compared to the "bullfrog brown" of the upper wing. Any comments? Blocked in the base colors for the carapace and that is next.

Charlotteunderwing02.jpg

Edited by rednekkboss

Fricking beautiful. The underside of the wings look like the flesh of a freshly stranded corpse with seaweed stains. I love it.

Seeing Charlotte from this angle also makes me gawk in awe of this conversion all over again. So inspired! :tu: :yes:

Fricking beautiful. The underside of the wings look like the flesh of a freshly stranded corpse with seaweed stains. I love it.

Seeing Charlotte from this angle also makes me gawk in awe of this conversion all over again. So inspired! :thumbsup::yes:

Thanks mate!  Putting a project like that aside for a while can make you appreciate it too. I'm enjoying painting her, though those wings were very, very time consuming. Probably @ 10 layers or more on them.  I'm trying to think of what I want to do with the base right now, so it will be equally cool.