Hello all,
I'm LamenterMarine and I'm an addict. I know I'm an addict because I have more GW product that I can I need, I even have three baneblades in my loft still in the cellophane wrappers. I know what you are thinking....he has so much he has to keep it in the loft.....well yes.

Anyway, some of you may have seen my blog in the Blood Angels sub-forum and you can follow the link in my sig to see what has gone before now (though I wouldn't bother). I have decided to abandon my blog and move to the WIP forum instead so you will find it harder to ignore my incessant posts.

So that's the writing stuff done. Time to show you the goodies...

The makings of my counts as attack bike squadron - these are my effort at replicating the Rapier Laser Destroyer:
gallery_60109_5815_1098259.jpg

Current WIP Tactical Squad
gallery_60109_5815_1028088.jpg

And something mostly painted:
gallery_60109_5815_679821.jpg

So welcome to my new hole in the wall.....

Edited by Mr Yellow
Tags edited

Are you painting the marines in some kind of camo pattern? It seems strange that you've only painted up to their knees. I love that LS. Could do with a bit more depth though. As for the "Attack Bikes", I'd be interested to see what happens. The Rapier doesn't look particularly fast to me, but hey, I'm a subscriber to the rule of cool, and Rapiers do look cool.

Would Sir care to pay for his bill in advance?

No. Stick it on my tab.

Ah, regret to inform, sir, credit limit was reached and breached quite some time ago.

Oh, well in that case...

[hands him some cash]

Ah, hard currency. Thank you, Sir. Can't be too careful these days. Would Sir care for a starter of some garlic bread perhaps?

No, thank you. I will proceed directly to the intravenous injection of hard resin, please.

@MordentHex - yeah resin is a b

Edited by LamenterMarine

• 2 weeks later...

Evening all,

I have managed to get a bit of painting done over the last week. Have basically yellowed one of the tac squads and done some shading and metallics. Still a way to go with this lot.

I am trying a new paint scheme and so far it is coming out well I think and certainly is quicker than how I have done things in the past.

Ta Daa

gallery_60109_5815_894836.jpg

Till the next time.

I've got some ideas about attack bikes along the same vein as you brother, but they would involve the use of wartrakk skorchas...

I'm really liking the graphics you've chosen for the helmets along with the red striping on the tempest. Breaking up the yellow gives so much more detail and contrast to the over all look. Yellow can be a little overwhelming to look at but your added detail solves the issue IMHO.

I'm going to have to steal that heavy bolter idea as well. Great conversion!

Wow I'm digging the heavy bolter with the box magazine, as it looks functional and adds some fresh variety. Cool use of the Tyrannic War Veteran as well! I'd like to do something similar but it's a bit daunting because the original model is covered in insignia.

I'd like to do something similar but it's a bit daunting because the original model is covered in insignia.

They're in Finecast now, so it's not that difficult to shave it off :P I'd say go for it!

Ludovic

I'd like to do something similar but it's a bit daunting because the original model is covered in insignia.

They're in Finecast now, so it's not that difficult to shave it off :P I'd say go for it!

Ludovic

I was thinking how much easier it would be with a finecast model when I was filing all the stuff off of him, but then white metal is fine by me as I like to hear a good solid thud as my models hit the floor (that and I have strong wrists).

Thanks deathknight!

I have an update on the tac squad. They aren't totally done, just the small tedious matter of the chapter symbols to go first (and backpacks) but otherwise I am quite pleased with how these guys came out.

gallery_60109_5815_452477.jpg

I think the other WIP stuff you see in the background hasn't moved or changed in the last week at all but I will get to it eventually.

TTFM

Looking very nice. When you put the finishing touches on are you planning to add anything to old sarge's breastplate at all? His whole pose is screaming 'LOOK AT MY CHEST BLING!' only someone's ran off with his ornament. The heart symbol bang in the middle of the chest might look a little too carebear-a-like but a simple GS blood drop might do the job. Just a thought.

Thanks for all your comments guys, glad you like the HB, I was getting bored of the heavy backpacks too.

@Dragon Claw - I wasn't planning on putting anything on the chest plate, I'm trying to keep the amount of bling down on my guys......I remember Care Bears from when I was growing up, they gave me nightmares.

Anyways, I have an announcement, I have (drum roll).......finished that tac squad.

Ta Daa:

gallery_60109_5815_771381.jpg

Nothing more to show off just yet but watch this space.

@Dragon Claw - I wasn't planning on putting anything on the chest plate, I'm trying to keep the amount of bling down on my guys......I remember Care Bears from when I was growing up, they gave me nightmares.

Fair enough, they look fantastic either way. I agree wholeheartedly with Kassill the checking is beautiful, I'm not sure I'd have the nerve to high/low-light each square without snapping my brushes in frustration.

Whoever came up with Carebears was on a serious trip. Thinking that sentient bears who shot lasers out of their stomachs to 'help' people is a good basis for a kid's show is just plain scary.

• 2 weeks later...
Whoever came up with Carebears was on a serious trip. Thinking that sentient bears who shot lasers out of their stomachs to 'help' people is a good basis for a kid's show is just plain scary.

Swear I remember something involving mechanical bears that talk...maybe thundercats. Anway, I will stop diverting myself.

So, thanks to everyone that has commented so far, it really helps keep me doing what I do and prevent 40K ADD. That said I haven't done any painting or modelling this week. I have ordered some parts for my attack bike counts distraction will continue stopping me from getting on with the tactical squad I have unpainted.

What I have been doing is working on this sucker:

gallery_60109_5815_160924.jpg

I think this was originally done by ikkaan at deviantART so all credit goes to him for this

gallery_60109_5815_130154.jpg

I hope you can see it, some of you fellow stomach battalion modellers might know what this refers tp... as an aside note I like the idea of my army being a Badab war army but one that makes it through if you catch my drift.

For those of you who don't know what I am referring to: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Devlan

The plan is to develop this into something like a space marine battle short story so this first image just sets the scene and will hopefully generate some interest. I will say though that my story telling ability sucks and I certainly would appreciate input from you guys at various stages in the process.

I see this as being a collaborative effort with as many people contributing as possible. I do have some ideas in mind that need fleshing out but I need to put my ideas on paper before steaming ahead.

To give you an idea I will definitely need help from you guys with the following:

Starmaps of the Devlan System and surrounding area

Description of the Devlan system.

Squad names, heraldry and background.

What the heck is a novastorm space station? Time the B&C decided once and for all.

Brace for impact, space battles and gratuitous boarding actions will be happening.

Maybe a deathwatch kill team should make an appearance? I don't know

Dramatis Personae.

What other forces turn up? Sotha isn't too far away and the scythes of the emperor became good mates with the Lamenters....

If you have any thoughts please feel free to add your 2 pence, that list is just to get things going.

Everything you guys add will certainly be appreciated and will directly or indirectly affect how the whole story develops. I'm excited to see how this pans out and I like to think there will be something for anybody who wants to join in with this.

Basically this is a big sandpit, so jump in, grab and bucket and help me build my epic sandcastle before it's time for tea.

Cheers

LM

Edited by LamenterMarine

How dare you to not inform me that you moved your lovely miniatures here?

:tu:

Finally I found you again ;) .

I'd love to help you. Because writing stories is one of my favourite things of the hobby. I've written about 100 pages Background for my Renegades and I'm still not finished.

If you need some ideas and help just ask.

Swear I remember something involving mechanical bears that talk...maybe thundercats.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfsk00bK9r1qeq113.jpg

Don't :P with Robo-berbils!

Anyway, wierd bears aside I did find a bit of blurb for a space hulk mission about Devlan which you can see Here but to save your eyes from bleeding I'll paste below:

The Devlan system lies towards the south-eastern arm of the galaxy. The system contains six inhabited planets, all rich in valuable ores that feed huge industrial complexes. Exports from Devlan are sent out across the galaxy on great star freighters - in return, riches pour in to swell the coffers of the noble magnates.

Delvan's rich commerce attracts many raiders and warbands hoping to profit from piracy and plunder. At the edge of the system there are a series of space stations to warn of invaders. Each of these Sentinel space stations is powerfully armed and together they form a web of death surrounding the system.

Without warning, Sentinel V went silent, only one garbled fearful message revealing it was under attack before communication was lost. Fear gripped the system. The noble families had heard of the great darkness descending on the galaxy - the vast, murderous Tyranid Hive Fleet Kraken that was overwhelming whole star systems, their populations murdered, consumed or imprisoned by the Tyranids. Was this the first strike by the Hive Fleet against the Devlan system, harbinger of worse to come?

The noble families gathered in the Great Forum on Devlan III. Among them, as an Imperial representative, was Captain Jacobus of the Space Wolves, commander of the Space Marine contingent stationed in the system.

There was great uproar verging on panic as voices were raised in fear and anger. Many spoke of the certain death that awaited them if this was a Tyranid attack. Others counselled calm: they should investigate before leaping to conclusions - perhaps it was only Eldar pirates or marauding Orks passing through the system.

Eventually a decision was reached: Captain Jacobus would lead an assault on Sentinel V - if this was a forerunner of the Tyranid fleet, the Administratum must know as soon as possible. At the same time, the nobles would prepare to flee the system, taking their wealth aboard the huge star freighters ready to head towards the safety of the galactic core. The dangers of a deep space journey paled into insignificance when set against the threat of the Hive Fleet.

Captain Jacobus had only a small contingent: six squads of Space Wolf Terminators would be boarding the Sentinel V space station to assess the situation and capture or eliminate the invaders.

The approach to the station was fraught with tension - if the invaders were able to control the Sentinel's defence systems, the Space Marine craft could be destroyed before it reached its target. As the craft approached the docking bay, there was no sign of response: no weapons swivelled toward the Space Marines, no telltale power surges showed defence lasers being readied for firing. Either the invaders were unable to control the weapon systems, or they wanted to allow the Space Marines to dock.

The first Terminator squads were sent in on shuttles to establish a bridgehead - now they'd learn what enemy they faced.

As well as a few other bits and pieces about the system, including planet designations..

DEVLAN Mining. Riots broke out before arrival of Kraken. [ultima]

DEVLAN III Sentinel V perimeter station- Space Wolves Vs. G'stealers. Sentinel stations in system. Lamenters sacrificed vs. Kraken.

DEVLAN V Penal Colony. Devlan Primus- The Red Terror (Tyranid Ravener) attacks imperial forces during their retreat.

source: http://www.ironhands.com/40planet.htm

...and a nice pic of the area around the time of the kraken incursion from http://www3.telus.net/lamenters/

http://www3.telus.net/lamenters/images/kraken_map.jpg

Good luck with the story!

Great models. I like how your bases with hazard stripes really work with lamenters scheme. A heart on a wing needs a little bit tidying up, but I guess that's not an issue since it's still a wip.

Will be looking for more models to come.

@ Gamma 310 - Sorry man, I felt like a change but glad you found me again. Thanks for the offer, I will post some more story 'stuff' in the next two weeks and would appreciate some feedback. Basically playing the rule of cool so whatever gets the best response is likely to make the cut.

@ Komodo - Actually the wing was one of the not WIP bits of that but now I look at it the heart is a little wonky. Cheers, I will work on that.

@ Dragon Claw - Awesome mate, just the sort of thing I was looking for. I might change the presence of space wolfs but will ponder on that. The map is definitely a win too, I like the fact that there is a forge world nearby too. I wonder what Triplex Phall is known for making....

More to come on the developing background of the Devlan system will have to wait. I had something in the post the other day so I have done some blue tacking of my attack bike counts as:

This one is a little top heavy I think

gallery_60109_5815_757139.jpg

and this one looks a bit too long, phallic even...

gallery_60109_5815_660760.jpg

Perhaps I need to remove the front armour plate and use the multi melta mantlet in place of it. Either way I will have two guys on this thing, one to drive and one to shoot.

Any off the wall suggestion are welcome on this, my imagination has got me here but I thought it would look different but I can't put my finger on it.

Till the next time.

LM

My map of the Devlan System, a bit rough but then I don't have photoshop or anything.

gallery_60109_5815_50498.jpg

Devlan is meant to be a mining system, any susggestions on what to change/remove/add would be great. Of course there are still the defense stations to add for sure but other than that I am completely open to suggestion.

Cheers

LM

Edited by LamenterMarine