Nice, they look appropriately terrifying

Thanks Legio

Looking gorgeous man - superb army shot and all the close ups are great. Admire the boarding shield designs and the Renegade Campaign Badge. (As a Graphic designer that post really got my interest :biggrin.:)

So finally found your thread and subscribing for sure :biggrin.:

Thanks Scythes, can't say my skills are up to your level....... I did that in a mix of visio and paint. Have to say I am jealous of how you are able to produce such professional content for your website. It's something I very much want to do myself.

Primaris Breachers is an excellent idea! :biggrin.:

Thanks Bob, they were begging for it. Afterall boarding actions are where Lamenters excel so the Uber Lamenters had to take after them.

Also, as I am about to embark on the painting of all these dudes, it was rather convenient my new portable modelling/painting station turned up in the post:

gallery_60109_5815_857997.jpg

I must know where that paint/hobbystation is from.... It looks like exactly what I need!

I got it from Frontier Wargaming http://frontierwargaming.com/?product=paint-case; it's pricey but definitely worth it.

Incredible scope your able to take on, you 40k mule you :smile.:

Thanks buddy, I'm not normally so productive...suppose it helps to know the end (300) is in sight. Although Primaris does move the goalposts a little.

Cheers

LM

Evening all,

A bit more painting has happened recently, still not complete but this is the third foot assault squad WIP:

gallery_60109_5815_849403.jpg

I've also made my mind up on my squad markings - I prefer a squad to have heraldry rather than standard codex markings where possible; which allows for a bit more variation:

gallery_60109_5815_249106.jpg

Not all of the above will be used though, some came out a bit wrong.

I did want to include a Scythes of the Emperor chapter marking as an alternative to the cross swords or codex assault markings. I'm thinking that there was some action in the Corinth Crusade (where both Lamenters and Scythes fought together) where as a mark of honour etc. the squad replaced it's codex marking with the scythes heraldry.

I might have to hit up Scythes to see if there is some canon or story that he knows of that would be suitable for this.

Cheers

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Jaxom, I just wish my drawing skills were up to the task. Case ana point, guess which one is a mantis warriors badge........

So progress on the foot assault squad.

gallery_60109_5815_1076062.jpg

Still need to do their bases and backpacks of course but they are basically done.

Having realised I hadn't prepped any backpacks I have laboured over the last few days to clean up 40 odd packs for the company.

The primaris breachers have also had a lick of paint:

gallery_60109_5815_678613.jpg

I think once these guys are done I will have to indulge in some kitbashing as I can feel my attention being diverted to other Lamenters based ideas but want to keep on with the 8th company.

As such I will be getting on with an assault ram kit bash based off the Deathwatch corvus blackstar. Couldn't think of a punchy name so I am calling it the penitence pattern assault ram for now.

Cheers

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

So it'e been a busy week or so; started a new job, rode the Surrey 100 and then limped around for a few days. I have still made progress though.

The third foot assault squad is now actually completed with backpacks and everything:

gallery_60109_5815_958759.jpg

That was thanks to me spending ages batch painting backpacks, here they are WIP...............yawn:

gallery_60109_5815_303661.jpg

More importantly I have started on my assault ram conversion based off the corvus blackstar kit:

gallery_60109_5815_585961.jpg

I've filled in all the sections with all the annoying writing on it with styrene sheet, I made up some templates in visio in case I want to build another of these.

I have also prototyped some extensions to the two side hatches in paper, these are a bit short at the moment as I was just testing how to get the front of them straight. I will be extending these out the front like the FW ram. The side shot should give a better view on these:

gallery_60109_5815_502624.jpg

I will also won't be bothering with the twin tail boom on the model. Instead I will hack that off at a suitable point and go with a single big tail plane. In place of the magma cannon on the FW model I will stick multi meltas on the chin turret as a counts as. So in the end it will look something like this:

gallery_60109_5815_31494.jpg

Please excuse the scrawl, I was never good at sketching and prefer to do stuff in visio where I get help with the straight lines.

till the next time

LM

Nice start to your conversion.  I have a caestus assault ram at home-- if you need any dimensions for the front ramp "arms" or pics for detail I'm happy to provide.

If I can make a suggestion though, I would omit the tail.  The caestus is designed to hurl itself into a fortification like a brick through a window; and to that end all of its parts are specifically reinforced.  A tail would likely get lodged in a space ship hull or even a ruined building, and would be a real liability in a combat scenario.

What are the dimensions for the central bit with the giant "O" piece (the center part of the inquisitorial =][= they designed into the blackstar) ?  I might have an idea for that as well as a possible bit or two I could send you for the conversion.

Thanks Chaplain.

Yeah, if you could send me the length of the assault arms that extends past the cockpit and the height and length of their cross section also that would be good. At the mo, my arms are 27mm x 28 mm and I will need to bulk that out I think.

I know what you mean about the tail, I thought about leaving it out for that very reason but when I was coming up with the idea I thought the model would end up too front heavy. I'll see how I feel once the assault arms are done. Let's be honest though, if realism were ever a consideration with this hobby then the StormRaven would never have been released, that thing just wouldn't fly.

I only noticed the stylised =][= when you mentioned it. I may do something about that now. The dimensions of the hatch are 25.5mm for the outer ring and then 22.5mm for the inner ring:

gallery_60109_5815_669857.jpg

That hatch is integral to the model though so it has to be cut out rather than not glued in place if you get what I mean. Would be interested to hear what you have in mind.

Cheers

LM

Ok so progress on the assault ram was temporarily halted by a lack of foamboard; gotta love amazone prime:

I have now built the two prongs and temporarily secured them to the fuselage with masking tape; the tape on the prongs is holding the prongs together until the PVA dries. I'm actually quite pleased with how they came out:

gallery_60109_5815_14213.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_1005947.jpg

Side and bottom shots to give an idea of scale:

gallery_60109_5815_818382.jpggallery_60109_5815_313685.jpg

I've assumed that the transport section starts in front of the landing gear. This means the length of my transport area roughly matches the length of the prongs on the FW Caestus; I based this off the photo that had a predator in it to show the size.

Next step will be to secure the prongs in place, add armour detailing to the prongs and assault doors to finish.

Cheers

LM

That is gorgeous !

It's a pity there haven't been more Blackstar conversions around, being a pretty looking brick as is. As for Bjorn's comments on the circular hatch, it'd be easily solved with heat and a large knife. Well, that'd be enough for me..... :)

Looking forward to progress.

A pity the Corvus' rooftop hatch is molded in place. I would've liked to replace it with a gun turret, so it can defend itself from rear and flanking attacks.

It is begging for a turret, all the more if you wanted to convert a blackstar into a stormraven. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to sink a turret into the recess as I think the raised area surrounding it would block the traverse. I think you could get away with adding a collar in top and then sitting your turret in that.

That is gorgeous !

It's a pity there haven't been more Blackstar conversions around, being a pretty looking brick as is. As for Bjorn's comments on the circular hatch, it'd be easily solved with heat and a large knife. Well, that'd be enough for me..... :smile.:

Looking forward to progress.

Thanks buddy, your post has been condensed into liquid 40K motivation.

Progress on the assault ram has got me as far as adding armour detail to one of the prongs. I am still deciding on the best approach to take to fill in the gaps between the plasticard sections. At the moment I am leaning in the direction of green stuff. I have previously used milliput for modelling and found it impossible to work with without making a mess so I won't be using that. Alternatives would be fine surface filler or adding on additional plasticard that is pre formed into an 'L' / 90 degree angle to cover these gaps.

gallery_60109_5815_687943.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_610254.jpg

Till the next time

LM

I am very excited about your conversion. It's a great idea and I think you're doing a good job of executing the plan. I'm definitely looking forward to your progress.

It's a pity there haven't been more Blackstar conversions around

I wanted a Fire Raptor, so I managed to get some Stormlord Vulcan Mega Bolters on the chin of mine. It didn't turn out too bad.

I think the Corvus holds a lot of possibilities for modeling.

I am very excited about your conversion. It's a great idea and I think you're doing a good job of executing the plan. I'm definitely looking forward to your progress.

It's a pity there haven't been more Blackstar conversions around

I wanted a Fire Raptor, so I managed to get some Stormlord Vulcan Mega Bolters on the chin of mine. It didn't turn out too bad.

I think the Corvus holds a lot of possibilities for modeling.

I agree, I've got a couple of other ideas in mind for the kit. Have you got a photo of your fire raptor conversion?

Anyway, on to the conversion. I was away for the weekend, bday treat for the missus, so didn't get much solid 40K time. Though I did manage to cut out and glue on the second batch of armour detailing:

gallery_60109_5815_821120.jpg

And then filled in the gaps with green stuff:

gallery_60109_5815_1242295.jpg

Green stuff did the job just fine filling the gaps.

Till the next time

LM

Hi all,

I have finally managed to mount the prongs onto the front of the Blackstar now, it took a few attempts and copious dollops of PVA. First time I did it the flyer fell off the table and they broke off. So I will need to reinforce the joint next:

gallery_60109_5815_139574.jpg

There is a slight gap at the rear of the prongs that I will need to cover up, probably the best place to reinforce the join:gallery_60109_5815_808233.jpg

Annoyingly the gaps are not the same which suggests that the prongs are not mounted identically. They look to be mounted the same to me so I can only assume that one prong is just a little bigger. I think they look the same size to so I think I can get away with these as they are.

Next steps will be to find some multi meltas and sensors to glue on the front and then attempt some sort of tail plane/dorsal plane that looks suitably beefy to go through a warship hull.

I'm off on holiday tomorrow so won't be doing anything for a couple of weeks.

Till the next time.

LM

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm back from sunning myself , butchering the french language, eating cheese and drinking wine.

I've managed to fill the gaps at the back of the assault ramps so they join with the main fuselage and have mocked up two dorsal planes. I'm leaning in the direction of the one with the straight leading edge instead of the swept wing as this matches the rest of the model more. That said, the swept wing does look more aggressive.

gallery_60109_5815_1159866.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_862988.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_970482.jpg

I am also considering sacking off the tail plane and putting a turret in there as a couple of people have suggested - I just wanted to add some bulk to the top/rear of the model to counter balance the assault ramps at the front.

I have also picked up a real assault ram, from the components there appears to be a noticeable difference in scale but it will be interesting to see how they compare when finished.

gallery_60109_5815_786786.jpg

C&C welcome as always.

Cheers

LM

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

I'm a little surprised that it's been a month since I updated this WIP thread; could have sworn it was only the other day. Oh well, suppose that comes with age.

I think I will continue to post with this frequency so I can actually show something substantial with an update, suppose I should give it a suitable name like Black Friday/Prime Day etc.

I've been busy but have managed to get some thing done. Firstly I have made an ambitious pledge for the Rage to Salvation event in the Blood Angels forum, here's my starter shot:

gallery_60109_5815_1242017.jpg

Since then I have completed the 5 tartaros terminiators that I had already been working on and another 10 of the foot assault marines; still need to do bases and backpacks but that will only take a few minutes this evening to sort out:

gallery_60109_5815_306398.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_453684.jpg

If you look in the background you can see the Ironclad's feet are now yellow which is getting some love at the moment. Everything else is only basecoated.

The corvus ram conversion has not been touched since the last update.

Till the next time

LM

That Corvus conversion is ingenious. Really interested in how it turns out :smile.:

Thanks, might add it to my rage to salvation pledge.

Looking ACE as always . The Terminators look great in yellow .

Thanks bud

these look awesome.

i know i might have missed it but whats the deal the reversed shoulder pads?

cheers

gallery_60109_5815_18506.jpg

I'm using the original rogue trader colour scheme. I could have gone with the chapter symbol on the left shoulder pad but I decided to go whole hog old school with the scheme. Also back when I started collecting, I think the Badab War books from FW hadn't been released with the much blander colour scheme (if they had, I hadn't shelled out for them to see the new scheme. That and helmet stripes look cool.

gallery_60109_5815_5030.jpg..........sooooooo meh

Good job and dedication to the cause of yellow there. A tricky colour but you have your technique down perfectly for it.

ALL HAIL THE YELLOW!

Cheers

LM

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All, it's time for the monthly update.

First thing is the assault squad I had completed last month, save for basing and backpacks which I have now done:

gallery_60109_5815_1507131.jpg

That now completes the 40 foot assault marines for my 8th company which are snugly stored in their strike cruiser (miniatures case):

gallery_60109_5815_399676.jpg

Now for the actual progress, which is the two tartaros assault terminator squads that are completed and based:

gallery_60109_5815_738802.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_1177396.jpg

Had fun making the bases for these guys, though it did take a while. Here they are before the termies were glued down:

gallery_60109_5815_12142.jpg

An update on the assault ram is that the project has had a slight setback:

gallery_60109_5815_430159.jpg

Yesterday was a very windy day and this resulted in the blinds billowing back and forth. This then pushed the ram off the window sill into a impromptu flight test, the test did not go well.

I have also got a teeny tiny side project in the offing:

gallery_60109_5815_560554.jpg

I won't say anything more on this one for now, but feel free to take a guess at what I have in mind.

Till the next time

LM

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I am finally back from my three week work trip, and currently dying of something I picked up on the way home.

This does of course mean I've had some time on my hands, so over the last couple of days I completed one of my Assault Breacher squads:

gallery_60109_5815_1241719.jpg

The free handing on the shields was time consuming, all of a sudden I am not looking forward to doing another 30 of them.

I also didn't post this here, (though I posted it elsewhere) but I completed it before I went away:

gallery_60109_5815_467615.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_893639.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_108081.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_653239.jpg

I think I'm going to name him Glatt.

That's everything for now.

Till the next time

LM