Not saying you can´t do it, you can do everything of course. (I didn´t want to say "That´s a terrible idea!" but more "I don´t know/ not my cup of tea" and all, you know? ;) )

My comment was not deeply based on fluff more an immediate reaction; the whole reason for this was that I like them as "tragic heroes" a bit

and didn´t want them to go evil. Apparently things are a bit differenet as I thought at first. I would give your version a go I think.

Thje badge seemed to suggest that they are now totally Hurons guys, but that´s probably wrong...

Maybe use them as a "joker" a la Legion of the Damned, who pop up from time to time to save the day for menkind and then vanish before someones asks too much question about them?

Ok so drumroll please.............................................................................

..................................................................................................................

Ta daa!

gallery_60109_5815_1244190.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_824619.jpg

With those two squads I've now assembled my boarding assault company :-) There will be the command squad and dreads to do as well but I think 100 marines in a couple of weeks is pretty good going for me.

Looking at that assault sergeant now though, I'm going to have to stick that power sword in hot water to straighten it out a bit.

Also, have to say the new assault squad box is really well cast. There are very few mould lines and the detail is excellent. One slight issue is that all of a sudden all combat weapons are left handed and all pistols are right handed. Which made trying to make all the poses different a bit more of a challenge and really cleaned out a lot of my bits box.

Still I have to admit that I am glad the build stage is over, the last job of assembling these and scraping off mould lines was becoming a bit of a chore:

gallery_60109_5815_666401.jpg

Also, as I am about to embark on the painting of all these dudes, it was rather convenient my new portable modelling/painting station turned up in the post:

gallery_60109_5815_857997.jpg

Sadly, long gone are the days where I had a dedicated work area where I could leave everything laid out. And at the moment, getting all my painting stuff out is a real pain. So hopefully this will sit quietly in the corner of the lounge, ready to deploy at a moments notice and allow me to be a lot more productive.

Till the next time.

LM

Edited by LamenterMarine

Are those still Lamenters?

Definitely

just want to say that is an awesome Tyrant's insignia you've come up with there. I absolutely love it.

Thanks bud.

Awesome work mate. Looking forward to seeing how this new force of yours develops. Keep em coming :wink:

Cheers wiqid. Me too....and I'm doing it :-). I've never built a force this way round where I build first and then paint. I've always tended to build and paint a unit at a time.

LM

Since I ran out of spray paint the other day I couldn't finish priming my assault marines:

gallery_60109_5815_89218.jpg

So I've been putting these guys together.....no self respecting boarding assault can happen without terminators after all:

gallery_60109_5815_322122.jpg

Now I'm just hoping the undercoat I've ordered turns up after these are built.

Cheers

LM

Great looking army bud. That is a lot of assault marines :)

Cheers wiqid. Me too....and I'm doing it :-). I've never built a force this way round where I build first and then paint. I've always tended to build and paint a unit at a time.

LM

Nor have I. But I think I can understand why it is advantageous to take the other approach. At least you can break up the monotony of painting with building something up and converting in the process. If I built my entire army, I would be burnt out and intimidated by the rows and marines and tanks threatening to assault me with deadly painters fatigue. :tongue.:

Edited by wiqid

Ok B&C I need some help/inspiration.....

I've got three ironclad dreads that will make up a dreadnought talon for my boarding force (using the siege assault rules); one will be a siege dread and the other two will be ironclad dreads.

The problem I have is how to base them, as with the larger dreadnought bases, there greater space and scope for more interesting bases. I could just base them on old diamond tread plate but it's boring and a waste of the opportunity.

At the moment I have these:

gallery_60109_5815_147349.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_93336.jpg

Both bases are OK on their own, but they don't exactly go together and I want to theme the bases since the dreads are a talon and would deploy together.

I've come up with the idea that the talon has advanced down a corridor to an inner door, on the far side is a balcony and stairs that lead to a large area - possibly a command deck/muster point/other large area. Once they reach the door, since it's too small one dread will have cut round it. Another dread will have advanced through the hole and down the stairs. The third dread will be bringing up the rear so still in the corridor.

So I have three areas/ideas in this scenario:

A - in the corridor, might have a wall on the base that has a dreadnought sized hole on it to tie in with the others

B - on the balcony on the other side of the hole, probably standing on the cut section of bulkhead with the door in it. The wall the door was cut from can alos be on the base behind the model. Lastly a step modelled as the first of the flight of steps to tie to the next base.

C - lastly the lead dreadnought that has advanced down the stairs and is either mid flight or at the base, I think at the base would look better.

I am thinking that similarity of material and colouring will pull the bases together as well.

I scribbled this to show what I mean:

gallery_60109_5815_1044914.jpg

So here's where I need the help. If you have seen any images or have any ideas for theming the dread bases in a space hulk/boarding action stylie I need to see/read it cos I'm all out.

Thanks

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Haven't made any progress with the basing as yet, though I have completed all the base coating of the marines so it's pretty much painting time.

My bros wanted to see a shot of my complete army so I thought I would share it here too:

gallery_60109_5815_1047576.jpg

So I'm only 20 veterans short of a full first company, 20 tactical marines short of a full third company and the assault company is at full strength already.

I have the following in bits to be made:

40 ish marines

7 ish dreadnoughts

1 Landraider

15 Sanguinary Guard

5 Terminators

Pretty close to the 300 I imagined all those years ago :-)

Cheers

LM

• 2 weeks later...

Thats a seriously impressive Lamenters collection. It would be sososososo cool if you finished up the entire remaining Lamenters chapter. I was reading up on their fluff the other day and just thought it was so dang cool and compelling. I respect the heck out of you for taking the time to put it all together and to deal with their color scheme. Scrolling through the thread has been awesome, and I look forward to seeing the full chapter completed some day soon! 

Thanks guys, a good chunk of that still needs painting and at the current rate it'll be another few years before I'm done!

I have made a start on the painting though which is the first time I've properly picked up a brush in about three years. For half an hour I don't think I did too badly on my VERY WIP foot assault squad:

gallery_60109_5815_1374594.jpg

Cheers

LM

Edited by LamenterMarine

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chaps,

Quick update on the painting, one squad is now completed and based:

gallery_60109_5815_134580.jpg

Granted there are a couple of touch ups to be done but they are done enough for me to move on to the next thing.

Which was making 100 bases.......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.....so glad I bought metal spray primer or these might have broken me:

gallery_60109_5815_80486.jpg

I am breaking up the squad painting with doing other units, I should have enough termies and other bits to stop me from getting 40K ADD. Though I did buy a Corvus Blackstar from DarkSphere on the way home; it will be converted to an assault ram so I promise... I'm not** doing deathwatch.

At the moment I am working on the first of my Ironclad dreads, I am waiting on some magnets in the post so I can magnetise all the extra weapons but I will post WIP pics when it's ready for paint.

Cheers

LM

That is a really lovely colour scheme, I admire your dedication to Lamenters as I can imagine they can be a pain to paint! Looking forward to seeing what you have next on the painting table.

@Kordhal - thanks bud, speaking on next on the painting table:

gallery_60109_5815_921122.jpg

I have a few additional arms and weapon loadouts so I went a litte crazy magnetising it:

gallery_60109_5815_238337.jpg

Not sure if I really needed to magnetise everything but it does allow me to repose if I want once the model is painted.

Also here's a little sneak peak of something that wasn't originally in my plan for the assault company but they are used in boarding actions so how could I resist:

gallery_60109_5815_1050837.jpg

Cheers

LM

Evening chaps.

So I haven't actually made any progress with my dreadnought, it's still in my spray painting area. I was able to complete another foot assault squad - minus the power packs of course.

gallery_60109_5815_323599.jpg

I did try and use some GW transfers I had lying for the squad markings but they wouldn't sit properly on the shoulders; think that's the first and last time I try to use transfers. I will go back to free handing the squad markings as usual.

Also, since everyone seems to be doing Primaris marines I thought I would get a cheeky squad of Intercessors. Can't say I really like the fluff surrounding Primaris marines, although I do like the two sides of the imperium divided by the big warp rift. Sadly I think it's fair to say that the unluckiest space marine chapter wouldn't be lukcy to be on the side with Guilliman and are in the Dark Imperium somewhere.

Anyway, onto the models, Intercessor Breacher squad:

gallery_60109_5815_1111013.jpg

Sorry - not particularly in focus but you get the idea.....

Cheers

LM

Looking gorgeous man - superb army shot and all the close ups are great. Admire the boarding shield designs and the Renegade Campaign Badge. (As a Graphic designer that post really got my interest :D)

So finally found your thread and subscribing for sure :D

Ok so drumroll please.............................................................................

..................................................................................................................

Ta daa!

gallery_60109_5815_1244190.jpg

gallery_60109_5815_824619.jpg

With those two squads I've now assembled my boarding assault company :-) There will be the command squad and dreads to do as well but I think 100 marines in a couple of weeks is pretty good going for me.

Looking at that assault sergeant now though, I'm going to have to stick that power sword in hot water to straighten it out a bit.

Also, have to say the new assault squad box is really well cast. There are very few mould lines and the detail is excellent. One slight issue is that all of a sudden all combat weapons are left handed and all pistols are right handed. Which made trying to make all the poses different a bit more of a challenge and really cleaned out a lot of my bits box.

Still I have to admit that I am glad the build stage is over, the last job of assembling these and scraping off mould lines was becoming a bit of a chore:

gallery_60109_5815_666401.jpg

Also, as I am about to embark on the painting of all these dudes, it was rather convenient my new portable modelling/painting station turned up in the post:

gallery_60109_5815_857997.jpg

Sadly, long gone are the days where I had a dedicated work area where I could leave everything laid out. And at the moment, getting all my painting stuff out is a real pain. So hopefully this will sit quietly in the corner of the lounge, ready to deploy at a moments notice and allow me to be a lot more productive.

Till the next time.

LM

I must know where that paint/hobbystation is from.... It looks like exactly what I need!