Painting some green!

Hi guys, thanks for the comments, I really enjoyed painting the librarian to be the centre piece to my army. Finally here is the the completed vindicator (sorry for the poor photos but I was in a bit of a hurry to get this finished and posted up here)

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN0551.jpg

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN0553.jpg

Really happy with it and it means I now have a fully painted 1000 point army which I've not had for a couple of years.

Cheers,

Brother Tancred

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone for the comments and support over the ETL challenge, but I decided I need to paint even more DA so I'm now taking part in the Path to Redemption challenge starting with Librarian Turmiel from DV.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN0578.jpg

Hoping to try and start painting him tomorrow.

Cheers

Brother Tancred

Really nice collection of DAs you have there.

If you don't mind me asking, whats your recipe for the green power armour? It almost looks like highlighted black, the green is that deep!

Excellent stuff!

Yeah sure mate, I'm glad you like the overall look.

1) Prime chaos black.

2) A couple of layers of dark angel green to create a smooth base.

3) Shaded the recesses with badab black wash.

4) Highlight with a 50/50 mix of dark angels green and snot green.

4) Second highlight of snot green.

5) Add a small amount of white to snot green to create a slightly brighter green. About 90/10 mix.

6) Wash thraka green to blend all the highlights together.

Encase you use the new range of GW colours I think the conversions are:

Dark Angels Green = Caliban Green Base

Snot Green = Warpstone Glow Layer

Skull White = White Scars Layer

Badab Black Wash = Nuln Oil Shade

Thraka Green Wash = Biel-tan Green Shade/Waywatcher Green Glaze

The black base coat coupled with the black wash at the start and the green wash to tone down the highlights at the end creates the deep green I desired. I mixed my final highlight of green with white instead of using scorpion green because I find it is too bright as well as it having a slight yellow tone to it. Where as I wanted a slightly lighter green while retaining a pale tone.

Hope this helps, more pictures of the librarian to come soon.

Cheers,

Brother Tancred

Really nice collection of DAs you have there.

If you don't mind me asking, whats your recipe for the green power armour? It almost looks like highlighted black, the green is that deep!

Excellent stuff!

Yeah sure mate, I'm glad you like the overall look.

1) Prime chaos black.

2) A couple of layers of dark angel green to create a smooth base.

3) Shaded the recesses with badab black wash.

4) Highlight with a 50/50 mix of dark angels green and snot green.

4) Second highlight of snot green.

5) Add a small amount of white to snot green to create a slightly brighter green. About 90/10 mix.

6) Wash thraka green to blend all the highlights together.

Encase you use the new range of GW colours I think the conversions are:

Dark Angels Green = Caliban Green Base

Snot Green = Warpstone Glow Layer

Skull White = White Scars Layer

Badab Black Wash = Nuln Oil Shade

Thraka Green Wash = Biel-tan Green Shade/Waywatcher Green Glaze

The black base coat coupled with the black wash at the start and the green wash to tone down the highlights at the end creates the deep green I desired. I mixed my final highlight of green with white instead of using scorpion green because I find it is too bright as well as it having a slight yellow tone to it. Where as I wanted a slightly lighter green while retaining a pale tone.

Hope this helps, more pictures of the librarian to come soon.

Cheers,

Brother Tancred

Brilliant, thanks.

It's similar to my recipe, but you use more layers of highlight.

Will give it a go.

• 3 weeks later...
Awesome. Very nice painting style :lol:. And his base ...? :huh:

I'm still trying to get the best result from the GW texture paint as mine seems to take several coats to get any texture on the base. Once I've got it to work I'll be painting my character bases.

Wow, that black lava stuff looks great! Since I might be painting a new realm of battle soon, this looks like it may just be what I need to get started.

Not only that but you get a substantial amount, not a little pot, might need to look into getting some.

Excellent painting brother.

Wasn't too sure on the red power fists at first, but the more I think about it the better they look.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys, really encouraging :D

I was really unsure about painting him cream but now that I have, I like it. Really stands out in the army and makes a nice change from painting green :)

@ Brother Tancred, may I ask what colour you used for the Terminator. By the way these are some very good looking minis.

Sviar

Of course mate, I've used the old foundation paint dheneb stone as the base as I have a couple of pots still. I then wash the recessed areas with agrax earthshade to create depth. I touch up any pooled areas of wash with dheneb stone again and finish by mixing some white to the base colour for a highlight, about 3:1 dheneb stone:skull white.

Though if you can't get any of the old paint GWs paint converter suggest Rakarth Flesh as a good substitute to dheneb stone.

Hope this helps, I'll try and get some more pictures up tonight when I have a chance to paint ;)

Cheers,

Brother Tancred

Excellent, been toying with the idea of using this colour combination for a while now. Looks like you get great results.

I've finally made my October Vow, one Consecrators librarian to lead a small ally detachment of Consecrators.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN0612.jpg

I plan to repaint the knee pads in Consecrators colours as well as shave off the grail symbol on the back pack ornament and paint the flame chapter badge in its place.

More to come,

BT

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, managed to finish this guy last night, forgot to post up a picture of him. Sorry about the lack of updates, University is taking all my spar time :D

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN0668.jpg

As the Consecrators have studded shoulder pads I've painted the chapter badge on the knee instead.

@Stobz: He will be finished shortly ;)

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, been a little while since my last post, but I'm back and made a new vow for PTR:

5 Deathwing Terminators:

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN1323_zpse30027fb.jpg

Going to start painting them later today and hopefully have another update shortly. Need to be quick as I want to try and paint another two challenges for missing November and December tongue.png

Cheers,

Brother Tancred

Hi guys, manage to get some serious painting time in and almost finished the deathwing terminators. Only thing left is the metallic areas and maybe a couple of extra highlights.

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN1328_zpse3bc7976.jpg

Let me know what you think,

BT

Almost finished the Deathwing,

http://i363.photobucket.com/albums/oo73/CallumM27/DSCN1338_zps16ce5cd6.jpg

Just have the bases to finished with a bit of paint on the skulls and ammo casings and wash the sand. Final pictures up as soon as the wash dries :P

Cheers,

BT

Archived