Harleqvin's WIP, 7/2/22 Azrael conversion WiP post

Harleqvin

A wonderful conversion!

One thing I am thinking about doing though before I prime it is adding some coils from the forearms to the back but the only spot I can do that is right next to the spot where the power pack meets the mount on the model. I have the Valthrex*, Astral Claws MotF model and I have no other use for the whips he has. The pic for the inspiration of the conversion has what appears to be coils and i have been going back and forth wether to put them on.

What do you guys think? Should I go ahead and just add the coils?

He already feels a little top heavy to me actually. I'd be weary of adding any more detail up top and he does already have coils on the sides of his chest (which do not appear in the art you are trying to eliminate). Maybe it's the book - if you were to change it, a smaller one might work. Maybe once you take down the shoulder spikes, that will help too.

Just a small nit pick I thought I would mention. It could also be the angle of that first image though.

There are some other coils between the torso and the arm. It's not very noticeable but they go left to right. lqtm
The ones on the mini I used I left on there as I figured it was a nice alternative to the ones on the side of the Psychic hood that go to the power Pack. If I don't have to model it and/or remove stuff all the better right? :laugh:

This is kinda what it would look like if I did add the coils to the arms. If I did it, I would shorten the coils so they aren't so long.
(edit 3/9/17, can't find photo from this time frame that matches what I said in this comment.)

Once again this is going to show that I never feel like I really finish something... lol. I am already trying to add more to something that is already good enough.

And I get ya, EPK. I don't really want to add more to the top of the model as there is already so much going on midsection up. However I think I should put something on top of the Psychic hood as there is the Aquila with a horned skull in place of the eagle body in the art.

A random thought just now. Does anyone know why there are these spikes on the shoulder pauldrons in the Libby pics on pages 38 &39 in the C:DA?

Edited by Harleqvin

Thanks!

Yeah. They are a bit different. It was a bit easier doing it this way compared to the pic. In the pic it looks like they are only on the top on the binding with a bar-like bracket holding them.

The book was a little too big and too small... I couldn't find chain small enough to do it that way as the chain I got would be too much in the face of the model. Plus it didn't look like it was secured on the bottom, so I did a wrap around. So the chains connected to the bottom, too. That whole "it didn't seem practical" thing but I still wanted to make it look "like" the art.

Which is why I am probably going to add the coils now and probably put a DA icon on the Psychic Hood.... As said in a few earlier posts I have a habit of not feeling something is complete even when it is good enough. = :rolleyes: at myself = A "something similar should be there if something was there" kinda thing....

A random thought just now. Does anyone know why there are these spikes on the shoulder pauldrons in the Libby pics on pages 38 &39 in the C:DA?

From the artwork it looks like the spikes are some kind of battle damage maybe from an eldar shard weapon or some kind of 'nid spike thrower

From the artwork it looks like the spikes are some kind of battle damage maybe from an eldar shard weapon or some kind of 'nid spike thrower

Seems plausible.

Seconding the sword option. Just looks... more solid.

(Also, I would be jealous of your GS skills if you weren't putting them to good use for the Dark Angels. I wish you could show me how to work with the stuff as well as you!)

I have had about equal feedback from people all around for both versions. I get the "more solid" for the sword one. It's just too big and weighs down the staff. It keeps spinning down all the way. lqtm. If I had a slightly smaller one I would definitely use it, no doubts. The sword one worked with the TDA Chap as it felt right as I looked at it. being a bit heavier looking works for a mace. I personally like the scythe myself as it would go with the DW standard I am doing which is like the one from my Belial conversion but it will have a scythe instead of the sword. Kinda tie it all together.

Pretty sure I am going to be adding those coils/tubes onto the PA Libby's arms. After that I just need to work on the bases for both Librarians and start painting the TDA Chap. Got it primed. I am really looking forward to a new Codex and I hope it's in the next couple of months. Wanna see the tactics of it, units and what conversion ideas I can get from it.

Well I got some painting done on the Int-Chap in TDA (Brother Redemptor. Don't know of any other name given to those in Chaplaincy* in Pre/heresy.) Still have a bit to go but what it looks like so far.

Also did some updating on the bases of my Assault squad and Captain interred Contemptor. No pics of that. Will have those when completed the extra work on them is done. Edited by Harleqvin

I am trying to think of what to put on the right shoulders parchment. I don't want to do anything with Fallen (or Repent) as they hadn't appeared yet for Pre/heresy. i am going to put the latin form of the word down but I was wondering if you guys and gals could give me some words to ponder over to put on it.

I have thought about:

Loyalty = Fides

For the Lion = Enim Leonis

Any suggestions would be great. but i am inclined to single word as there is a chance that a couple words could be too long. For the lion was surprisingly short. lqtm

That is a possibility, too. If I do that I could also paint the left shoulder green behind the red DA symbol. Knightly orders named in the stories that I know of though are The Order, The Knights of Lupus and The Raven's Wing. For named named ones, any one else know of any? I know I could also make my own and others could give a name idea too in addition to the word thing. Beyond that still looking for possible word(s) to put on the right shoulders parchment.

Love that Interrogator-Chaplain. You were right about the shoulder pads; he looks like he means business. As for the scroll on the right, how about just putting Caliban there? Since these are pre heresy, I'm sure most in the Legion would have an affinity for Caliban.

I am liking the Knightly order and the Caliban thing more than the word or set of words, now a lot.

Thanks Cypher 102 and Brother Krovash!

Now which one. Doing the first one would incorporate Caliban in it because of the Green left pad.

Although I could make up a Knightly Order, have the heraldry & Iconography behind the parchment and have Caliban on the parchment...

and thanks for liking the what I've done so far on the TDA Int-Chap, Brother Krovash.

Thanks WraithWing! I am not sure if he or my PA Libby/Ezekiel conversion will be the next one I paint. I still have a few things I am going to do to them. I recently adjusted the Torch/sconces on the PA Lib's power pack. I realized I made them to high so I shortened them a tiny bit. The TDA Libby doesn't have too much other things I am going to do to it for it to be ready to be primed. I need to get appropriate basing for them both though.

Thanks Stobz! When I use the dread pads again I think I am going to remove a bit so they aren't so huge looking but I like it for the Int-Chap. :lol:

Up next. Not sure if I am going to get my Counts as Ezekiel or TDA lib ready for paint first. ;) I have a squad of Mk II and IV assaults I still need to put together. Finish my other Contemptor that is going to be an interred Chaplain, so a chaplain dread ={D> I still need to get a dreadknight hammer & hand so I can make its crozius DCCW.

I also have a bunch of RW and a loooot of termies to put together and magnet up (this includes 3RW from the DV and 2DW from DV, as I sold one set, beyond all the nonDV models.) I plan on making a converted jetbike squad (I also want to get a squad of the FW jetbikes.)

Here is a little bit of work for the contemptor with an interred Chaplain. This is going to be his DCCW/Crozius Arcanum badge of office.

The TDA Libby is there to show size.

I am going to try to get in on the PTR. Wish me luck on that guys. Edited by Harleqvin

Thanks, mate!

Yeah,there are some really good parts from other kits/boxes that can be used by DA. Sometimes you need to scrap off something here and there. lqtm. One thing I believe I will say a bit of, always look at other kits as you never know what you may find that you can use. That and magnets are a hobbyists best friend.

Edited by Harleqvin

Something I have been thinking about for my DA, Chapter wise background type stuff. Because I am doing a Pre/heresy style army and all so it can flesh with doing HH 30k stuff, when I eventually get the HH Betrayal Book 1, and normal games of 40k.

In short, it's going to be the same army... Hear me out.

My thoughts so far is that a whole Loyal DA Chapter designation (you know 2 battalions: each with multiple companies. You know a crapload of Marines and stuff,) in orbit still, was sucked into the warp rift that destroyed/disappeared the majority whole of Caliban and sucked in the Fallen DA and whatnot. It reappears near the Rock or somehow gets into contact with the Rock from trying to contact Caliban and only getting them instead, something of that sort. Obviously there will be dealings between them and The Rock and what not (haven't gotten so far in my thoughts for that area yet, that will come later when fully fleshed out,) for what in the Emperor is going on type stuff :D

40k wise they will be stated as a successor, even though they are DA from ages past, will be called "The Order" and pretty much completely maintaining their markings, armor color and all that jazz. Will also have a DW and RW (not sure if it will have the exact name for DW and RW yet. May see what FW and BL do with their stuff when they finally get to it. I know there was a Ravenwing in Caliban's past and that a knightly order called the Raven's Wing, I think that's shown in The Call of the Lion. Will figure that stuff out when I fully flesh it out,) I still see them having elite Marines in TDA and specialized bike units (will have some modeled on Jetbikes even if the new Codex doesn't have a jetbike unit.)

All of them are going to know of a large amount of info about what happened as they are from 30k. Certain info only the high higher ups will know of, like what SGM of the DA knows about Luther still being alive. That would probably be the main guys like Main Leader, Highest Libby and Chaplain. Maybe even what would be Master of the (DW,) MAster of the (RW,) Maybe even their MotF. Every one else would know what the DW/RW of the normal DA would know Traitor DA are still alive (if they survived it wouldn't be beyond reason others didn't kinda thing.) But still all of them know about the Fall, DA turning against the Emperor and whatnot.

Successor story cover will be that a SGM (haven't decided which Supreme Grand Master,) after they arrived petitioned for a new successor Chapter to be made, keeping them secret for the time being. When they get the okay they wait a while longer so it could be plausible they are a successor chapter. They actually get their recruits from all the other successor chapters from those who have found out about what happened/indoctrinated into the circles that know of the info. Chapter tithes are actually given from all other successors. Keeping in line with the thought they are getting their Marines from excess members of other DA and DA successors that have found out about the truth somehow....

Just a quick info blob of what I am going to do for my army background. Thoughts on this will be welcome. I know it's a cheap way to make my army easier fit for why I can use it for both 40k & 30k games but it's an idea I had being thrown around in my head for a while. :huh: I think fluff wise this could be very interesting.

Edited by Harleqvin