Wulfebane's ++E Tenebrae Lux++ Painting Vow

Wulfebane

Sooo... since this is for the vow completion, I'll just post updates here instead of my current blog/thread/thing.

I am honestly apprehensive about managing to complete this vow, since I have to be moved out of my apartment by the end of the month (and I have a crapton of stuff), but the more space I clear up with packing, the more accessible my painting table starts to look and that creative itch is nagging at me.

The models I'm submitting for the vow I had basecoated and blocked out the armor months ago, but never managed to get them to tabletop standards, let alone my own standards, so there's still hours of painting per model left to do (for anyone thinking I'm trying to submit nearly completed models).

My vow is as follows:

Rune Priest - 180

-TDA

-CotS

-Master of Runes

Wolf Guard retinue - 272

-Arjac

-1x PA with frost axe and stormbolter

-1x PA with wolfclaw

Total - 452

Ok, here's my vow so far.

gallery_59676_5870_1610174.jpg

Since I seldom focus on a single model for very long, this image has 2 additional wolf guard that I may or may not work on concurrently to my vow, at which point I'll amend my vow to include them if I manage to find time to finish them prior to the end. However, the 4 models I have devoted to my vow are centralized in the image.

Sorry for a bit of OT, Your models actually look great, but I wanted to ask about Your experience with Arjac (in terms of failcast). Was he alright or there were some casting issues? The reason I am asking is because Arjac and TW Lord both come in closed boxes, which prevents from inspecting the miniature before You actually buy it and open the box.

After seeing that stunning arjac model, i am tempted to pick one up, which is saying something! Could you do me a favor, and snap a photo of him standing next to another terminator???

They look completed now Wulfebane, lol.Have you started the Cots for the RP yet?

After seeing that stunning arjac model, i am tempted to pick one up, which is saying something! Could you do me a favor, and snap a photo of him standing next to another terminator???

Look in the picture he posted with his vow,Arjac is in the middle and a Termie is to his left

We've all been hoping that you would sign up Wulebane!! As one of the best painters in the Fang you inspire the rest of us to do better!! Thank you for that!!

That RP is going to look wicked-cool!!

Good luck with the vow, and the move!! We'll be watching closely and cheering you on all the way!!

End of Line

Thanks for looking/commenting!

@Arez - yeah.. I get that a lot. For me personally, though, I'll have to disagree. So much more to do. As to the CotS, the image below will show one perched on the RPs shoulder, but I'm afraid I won't have time to finish the sculpts of the CotSs I had started, which can be viewed in my painting blog-thread. So for now, I just use a marker. =( An idea I stole from Mav (and/or Mav_girl), that I hope to start soon, is to build a shieldmaiden or two from of some DE wych torsos.

@Rayray - Ask, and ye shall receive.

gallery_59676_5870_123816.jpg

@CaintheHunter - I had to squint through the backs of about 3 clamshells to find the best Arjac at my LGS, but even then there were a lot of bubbles/seams. =/ Biggest bubbles I found were on the back of his legs, and a lot of the incised runes had to be re"carved" because flash had filled the runes in places. Arjac's sculpt has a lot of intricate details too, such as the star rays on his shoulder and the WTN, etc. As you can see in the picture, there's still GS on the pliers at his belt b/c the handle was miscast. It's a great model, and I wouldn't avoid it, but you will need to either get lucky and find a good one, or have patience in your GS skills.

As to the TWL, perhaps my worst experience with finecast ever. The wolf's jaw was completely misaligned and looked like it went through a cheese grater, and half the Lord's armor was covered in bubbles. I think I managed better than most with repairs via GS, but again, hope you get lucky. I don't think I'll ever buy another of these models, opting instead to use a plastic kit and converting, but I in no way regret purchasing it b/c it's such an amazing sculpt in the end.

@RPRhapsody - Thanks for the complement! I'll try to live up to it.

My TWL was like that too, what a waste of money that kit is... I salvaged the head shoulder pads and axe off of it and the rest will 'rot' in my bits box. I fear forever...

The TDARP is looking great Wulfebane!! I love the flip up hair-do you've given him!!

I like this Shieldmaiden idea as well. Do you have any ideas as to what head to use?? I was just looking through the fantasy line for possible candidates and only found the Wood Elves to my liking. Here is the model I thought would look really nice all 'wolfed' up:

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/...odId=prod800873

End of Line

Base is ready for some highland turf grass! Now I just need to finish the actual model so I can apply it...

gallery_59676_5870_404980.jpg

...and btw, I think I might actually love the basing paints.

@RPRhapsody - I haven't decided on heads yet. The Wood Elves have a much more slanted (and large!) eye than I'd prefer. What I do intend to do is elevate the armor to the standards of 40k while keeping the raw elements of SWs, so with any luck she/they won't look like a hide-clad wood elf, but also, not a she-Thor. I'm thinking things like half-shaved heads and arm tattoos, etc. and visually some way to say, "Hey, look. I'm here, but I can't do anything.. but just so you know, I see you and so does my boy, RP Lightningtoyourface, back there." Perhaps cybernetics.

Overall, though, I hope to give them an air of stoicism and fearlessness, since as CotS, they're virtually statues. So where I like the model you linked, her battle charge sort of expression/pose won't work for what I have in mind.

Back on topic, though! I've had to repaint the RP to coincide with the new paints, so he's more pale and desaturated, and finished his gold trim (since I suck at NMM). Later tonight I hope to get a shot of him and perhaps start on the PA WG so I don't go insane. More updates later!

It's a day overdue, but any progress is good progress!

gallery_59676_5870_215476.jpg

Gotta bust out some washes tomorrow to clean up a few edges, but the face and gold should be finished. Biggest concern now is the armor... I'll likely switch it up and move to the PA WG now.

@RPRhapsody - I belieeeeeve it was this head.. it's been so long I can't remember 100%.

http://bitzbarn.com/oscommerce/catalog/images/IMG_6041.JPG

@Kassill - I use P3 paints and still use the older GW paints, so with that in mind, I start with Tin Bitz, then wash it with watered down Hawk Turquoise, then drybrush/highlight with Molten Bronze (P3), and another highlight of Rhulic Gold where top lighting would hit. If the turquoise turned too faint in areas I feel it should be abundant, due to the drybrushing, I'll go back in and spot-apply to areas to get the color looking more saturated.

Nah, I found it. It's the top knot head from the TDAWG kit. The eyebrow piercing finally gave it away!! Nice GS-fu!!

I have recently been picking up the P3 paints as well. I like the metallics a lot. they aren't as thick as the GW paints.

End of Line

Guess that would make sense, him being in TDA...

I have so few TDA models, that I often overlook those heads.

..and yeah, I prefer the P3 metallics over GW's.. though they don't have a comparable Tin Bitz, which I find makes an amazing metal undercoat base.

Their coming along great Wulfebane, as usual i want to give you a nice thumping for your gs skill, the c.o.t.s. on the rune priest is outstanding.... Freehanded? or a instant mold from the Njal model?

It's still unfinished (needs some more bulk and missing a wing!) but it IS freehand... even so far as toothpicks for the legs, which got GS'd over ... I so regret not waiting til I got home to use brass wire, but oh well.

Anyways, thanks for the compliment!

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I've been able to update. We finally got moved and mostly unpacked, but still a lot of Life getting in the way of painting. Nevertheless, it WILL get finished in time. I left out Arjac since I haven't done much to him since last time.

gallery_59676_5870_568969.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

So these images came out more blue than the actual models.. I blame lack of a proper photo setup.

At any rate, may I introduce my Arjac Rockfist:

med_gallery_59676_5870_422940.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_1140526.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_1163518.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_2174933.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_2569683.jpg

...and as well as my Rune Priest in TDA. I haven't fielded him yet, so I've yet to consider a name for him.

med_gallery_59676_5870_843577.jpg

med_gallery_59676_5870_977635.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_98711.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_2073036.jpgmed_gallery_59676_5870_2368565.jpg

These were my two biggest hurdles to jump in completing my vow, considering the amount of detail and conversion they bear. After these, I have only 2 more WG and hope to have enough time to add a second vow before time's up!

med_gallery_59676_5870_2286434.jpg

As always, C&C welcome.. and thanks for taking a peek!

This is super high quality painting there Wulfebane! I hate you too... ;) There are so many details and painting effects it's mind blowing: The "electric effect" on the shield (and more subduedon the Crux), the beaten copper effect with vertigirs, the faces (and the facial hair ;)) and the brutal looking sledgehammer that does not look electric at all! I think this is a great touch - in the hands of Arjac it works without power too! hahahaha!

I thought the two WG are almost done - they are the ones in the picture with the Rune Priest earlier - if that is the case there are only finishing touches and you're done!

Rune Priest name: Olaf Scarecrow! (well with the crow on his shoulder an' all) ;)

Archived